JD Spielman

He cannot workout at the Vikings facility regularly even though his dad works there, it would be a direct violation of NCAA rules and cause him to be ineligible. He could be an invited guest and likely use the facillities a few times, if he was doing something like this daily, the NCAA would not let him remain eligible.
Well so much for that idea! Thanks for correcting me

Question on transferring: If JD weren't a grad transfer--that is, still an undergraduate--could he transfer without sitting out a year if he joined the Gophers as a walk-on (paid his own full tuition) rather than as a scholarship player? Or must all non-grad transfers sit out a year, even those not on scholarship? Thanks.

My apologies if I missed this but Nebraska just got a new OC. It will be interesting if that affects JD’s decision, if in fact he is making a decision. I’d rather have him here than there. I also think CrAB is going to be fun to watch.

Unless Frost is giving up play calling I'm not sure what the new OC will be doing.

Not a Packer fan at all. Rooted strongly against them yesterday. I'm not a great fan of the elder either, but he wasn't the issue on this thread. Rather a stupid comment against him on this thread and started talking about the Vikings that had nothing to do with his son. Furthermore the Gopher Coaching Staff screwed up big time when they wouldn't pin point a position that he wanted to play. They said said they would talk about it after he enrolled. What coach says that? I wouldn't commit either if I had my heart set on playing a particular position. Gophers had their chance, but they wouldn't listen. Furthermore I don't care if you've been on here longer than I have. What difference does that make? Are you Sid or Pat?
Well, I’m Pat so that would leave only Sid.

He cannot workout at the Vikings facility regularly even though his dad works there, it would be a direct violation of NCAA rules and cause him to be ineligible. He could be an invited guest and likely use the facillities a few times, if he was doing something like this daily, the NCAA would not let him remain eligible.

Just curious, why would it be a violation?

Question on transferring: If JD weren't a grad transfer--that is, still an undergraduate--could he transfer without sitting out a year if he joined the Gophers as a walk-on (paid his own full tuition) rather than as a scholarship player? Or must all non-grad transfers sit out a year, even those not on scholarship? Thanks.
No, I’m pretty sure the rules are purely aimed at participation. So that wouldn’t matter.

Just curious, why would it be a violation?

I was wondering the same thing too. Why would "invited guest using the facility a few times" be fine, but using it daily would not be? Who determines that, and who are the "You're using the facility too many times" police that would blow the whistle on JDS?

I was wondering the same thing too. Why would "invited guest using the facility a few times" be fine, but using it daily would not be? Who determines that, and who are the "You're using the facility too many times" police that would blow the whistle on JDS?
The first line of defense would be the university compliance office.

I know you're thinking more of a if push came to shove situation, but it isn't that much of a mystery for a given player as they or the coaches can actually ask those questions.

Concerning Vikings question: My guess if JD gets to use the facility because he is now a Gopher then it is a violation (receiving benefits because he plays in Minnesota). However, if he gets to use it because his dad is Rick and he lives in MN that is fine. This would be impossible to police and/or prove as an illegal benefit.

Concerning Vikings question: My guess if JD gets to use the facility because he is now a Gopher then it is a violation (receiving benefits because he plays in Minnesota). However, if he gets to use it because his dad is Rick and he lives in MN that is fine. This would be impossible to police and/or prove as an illegal benefit.

I think you nailed it. Of course my question would be why he would need to use their facilities at all when there are state of the art training facilities at the U of M. My assumption is the team would want him working out with the rest of the team and not off on his own at the Vikings.

This is logical. The NCAA seldom is.

Don't get me wrong I think Spielman is a great player and would love to have him, but I'd rather have a player of his caliber transfer in and play defense next year. I think our offense will thrive with or without him, but thinking about our defense next year keeps me up at night.

I think you nailed it. Of course my question would be why he would need to use their facilities at all when there are state of the art training facilities at the U of M. My assumption is the team would want him working out with the rest of the team and not off on his own at the Vikings.
This is stemming from my (outta left field) hypothetical, where JDS would not be living in Lincoln for this final (Spring 2020) semester. He would be taking online courses to finish out the credits he needs to graduate with a bachelor's from Lincoln, living in the Cities, presumably with his parents, and working out on his own. Perhaps through his dad's connections, he could use the Vikings' resources (facility, strength coaches, maybe hire a personal trainer, etc.)

I don't think he would be allowed to have any affiliation with the Gophers team at that time, because he would not be enrolled at the U of MN. He would be finishing his UNL degree.

THEN starting in May (or maybe the summer), he could enroll at the U, and workout on campus.

I guess the biggest question to me is: if he no longer as any affiliation with any college team, at that time, does it matter? He wouldn't be affiliated with the Gophers, because he wouldn't yet be enrolled at the U of MN. And I think it would be safe to argue that he no longer has any affiliation with UNL because he's not living in Lincoln and would have made a public announcement that he is transferring out.

This is stemming from my (outta left field) hypothetical, where JDS would not be living in Lincoln for this final (Spring 2020) semester. He would be taking online courses to finish out the credits he needs to graduate with a bachelor's from Lincoln, living in the Cities, presumably with his parents, and working out on his own. Perhaps through his dad's connections, he could use the Vikings' resources (facility, strength coaches, maybe hire a personal trainer, etc.)

I don't think he would be allowed to have any affiliation with the Gophers team at that time, because he would not be enrolled at the U of MN. He would be finishing his UNL degree.

THEN starting in May (or maybe the summer), he could enroll at the U, and workout on campus.
In this theory does JD have Nintendo Switch?

I guess the biggest question to me is: if he no longer as any affiliation with any college team, at that time, does it matter? He wouldn't be affiliated with the Gophers, because he wouldn't yet be enrolled at the U of MN. And I think it would be safe to argue that he no longer has any affiliation with UNL because he's not living in Lincoln and would have made a public announcement that he is transferring out.
You are assuming his Dad will still be employed by the Purple.

You are assuming his Dad will still be employed by the Purple.
He will.

They gave a public vote of confidence in both Spiel and Zim, before the Saints game. Then we won, on the road.

Zero chance they're not both back for 2020. After that, we'll see. Zimmer's son could be DC, and Kubiak's son could be OC. Putting our eggs in those baskets.

Assuming he wants to transfer. He cannot enroll at the U until he graduates from Nebraska. So, he cannot work out at the U until this fall, likely. So, in the meantime, he may need a spot to workout, which could be the Vikings facility, particularly this summer if he is taking on line summer courses.

But, I don't understand why the Vikings facility would be an NCAA violation. Working out there has nothing to do with the Gophers, the Huskers, or the NCAA.

I think he was worried that JDS being allowed to utilize pro resources would be akin to receiving benefits from an agent or a pro team while still being an amateur.

It probably is a fine line to walk, and I'm sure they'll be careful. Maybe they can avoid that by compensating the Vikings for everything used. Or just avoid that all together and workout at the new Lifetime dome in EP (converted from the old Vikings practice dome) with a personal trainer. Etc.

I got a text last night from a Husker fan. He said he has it "on pretty good authority" that JD will be announcing on Feb. 3 that he'll play his last season as a Gopher. We've never discussed the rumor, and he was oblivious to it when I mentioned it in a reply.

Take it for what it's worth.

I got a text last night from a Husker fan. He said he has it "on pretty good authority" that JD will be announcing on Feb. 3 that he'll play his last season as a Gopher. We've never discussed the rumor, and he was oblivious to it when I mentioned it in a reply.

If he's graduating in the spring ... man I wouldn't announce it in Feb....

This is interesting, how would he know that the Gopher's have a spot for him without contacting our staff?

This is interesting, how would he know that the Gopher's have a spot for him without contacting our staff?
Though, I suppose he could have gotten permission to talk to other schools from Nebraska without entering the transfer portal, like it used to be . . .

I'm looking forward to Feb 3rd, if for no other reason, just for this speculation to die. A quick look at the Nebraska boards reveals this is not a hot topic for them. Perhaps it was a while back but as of right now, I didn't see much on this. It sure seems like one of those rumor things that everyone looks back at after the fact and asks why they fell so hard for the rumor because it doesn't make nearly as much sense now that it has been proven to be a false rumor. I'm not saying it isn't possible this happens. I have exactly ZERO information. Just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to Feb 3rd, if for no other reason, just for this speculation to die. A quick look at the Nebraska boards reveals this is not a hot topic for them. Perhaps it was a while back but as of right now, I didn't see much on this. It sure seems like one of those rumor things that everyone looks back at after the fact and asks why they fell so hard for the rumor because it doesn't make nearly as much sense now that it has been proven to be a false rumor. I'm not saying it isn't possible this happens. I have exactly ZERO information. Just my opinion.
Unless he announces he's staying in Nebraska on Feb 3, not sure this goes away.

Don't want to be one of those guys.....but I will. I have a friend who is connected to Nebraska athletics (not football) that told me it's no secret in Lincoln that JD will be entering the transfer portal. This was told to me without me asking. He didn't say that he was coming to MN, but that it's fairly common knowledge. FWIW....

Top Bottom