JD Spielman

I'd take him. Also believe he would be a better player here in Minnesota as he would be surrounded by awesome guys. Sometimes your playing level reflects on the people around you. Not everyone bear in mind.

I'd take him. Also believe he would be a better player here in Minnesota as he would be surrounded by awesome guys. Sometimes your playing level reflects on the people around you. Not everyone bear in mind.

In football especially.

There are Offensive lines out there that I'm pretty sure I could get 3 yards a play (i'd die after getting hit once... but i'd get 3 yards) and lines where NOBODY no matter how good could get any yards.

JD's accomplishments are pretty amazing considering he hasn't gotten a ton of help.

JD has over 800 yards his soph and freshman years as the #2 receiver when Morgan was their #1 guy. He was 2 yards shy of a 900 yard season as the #1. If he declared for the draft, he’d likely bedrafted. Not the case with CAB.
All the draft talk about him I saw going into the season was IF he could take the next step and have the 1000 yard season with double digit TDs he would have draft potential. How did that work out?

The classic didn't read the posts where I said I've seen him play multiple times.... sigh
When you say " Am I the only one who watched that game and thought "huh speilman doesn't look like a B1G player?," I don't really need to

You must not have watched that game.
Are you really going to die on this hill? Because he muffed a couple kicks against us in a rainy/snowy game, he's not a B10 caliber player? Is TJ not a B10 caliber WR because he dropped a big pass against Iowa? Give it up, admit you're wrong, and move on.

Are you really going to die on this hill? Because he muffed a couple kicks against us in a rainy/snowy game, he's not a B10 caliber player? Is TJ not a B10 caliber WR because he dropped a big pass against Iowa? Give it up, admit you're wrong, and move on.

TJ's i'm gonna drop the first pass as is tradition was kinda painful in the early days.

He fumbled on 40% of his touches in that game.... Did not look dynamic, looked small and slow. Did not look like the dynamic player I expected him to be so yes I thought "man he doesn't look like a B1G player" and I also thought "maybe it's not so bad he chose nebraska over us because we have TJ and Bateman". There is no hill to die on, it was an observation. You need to buy bigger panties so they don't get so bunched up your tight a$$.

TJ's tradition of dropping passes frequently is why he's going to drop so far in the draft. Some of his drops are just brutal and happened way to often. I think anybody who gets him will get a steal though as I think he can have a successful career in the NFL. Nothing spielman has done makes me think he can.

He fumbled on 40% of his touches in that game.... Did not look dynamic, looked small and slow. Did not look like the dynamic player I expected him to be so yes I thought "man he doesn't look like a B1G player" and I also thought "maybe it's not so bad he chose nebraska over us because we have TJ and Bateman". There is no hill to die on, it was an observation. You need to buy bigger panties so they don't get so bunched up your tight a$$.

TJ's tradition of dropping passes frequently is why he's going to drop so far in the draft. Some of his drops are just brutal and happened way to often. I think anybody who gets him will get a steal though as I think he can have a successful career in the NFL. Nothing spielman has done makes me think he can.
Are we debating Spielman's NFL prospects or the impact he would make if he were to transfer here? You are kind of going all over the board on this one, but hey, who am I to question a guy who thinks our true freshmen are better than Spielman right now?

Are we debating Spielman's NFL prospects or the impact he would make if he were to transfer here? You are kind of going all over the board on this one, but hey, who am I to question a guy who thinks our true freshmen are better than Spielman right now?
Another poster brought up his NFL prospects... I didn't. I'm just commenting on them.

And of course no true freshman WRs can have an impact ever ;)

JD is a dynamic athlete. If the coaches see a role for him in our offense next year I am all for bringing him in because you can never have too many playmakers.

Think we will be just fine without him if he chooses not to come here but will never complain about having lots of depth at the skill positions. Makes it so an injury doesn't destroy any depth you have and also gives you a chance to rotate guys and keep them fresh.

Christmas must be over. Lots of grumpiness going around.
0bKug39.gif

Spielman was dinged up going into the game here and there was some speculation whether he could play or not. That might have impacted him here (in Minny). I was having way to much fun and had too many just enough beers to not really notice his play.

Imagine thinking a kid who has played only 3 of his 4 years and is 200 yards away from the Nebraska all time receiving record, and who has not had a season with less than 800 yards, is not "B1G caliber."

I understand that you might have thought that in your head as an initial thought but why you are still saying it is beyond me. Wouldn't the ability to reason kick in and you might in fact be able to realize that someone who has never had a college season with less than 800 yards is at the very least a very solid player?

Imagine thinking a kid who has played only 3 of his 4 years and is 200 yards away from the Nebraska all time receiving record, and who has not had a season with less than 800 yards, is not "B1G caliber."

I understand that you might have thought that in your head as an initial thought but why you are still saying it is beyond me. Wouldn't the ability to reason kick in and you might in fact be able to realize that someone who has never had a college season with less than 800 yards is at the very least a very solid player?
Because here on Gopherhole when we are objectively proven wrong we need to double down and dig our heels in even deeper, rather than admitting any misstatement.

I can't imagine getting so stressed out over another person's opinion like you are. Maybe you should have read the multiple posts where I said if he wants to come and PJ wants him then great? Does the spielman family pay you to go around attacking anybody who doesn't think JD isn't the greatest WR ever? Bateman is much better than spielman, I think CAB is better and has been stuck behind TJ and Bateman and is due to have a break out year. I 100% stick by my I'm not that impressed with him, especially after watching TJ the last 4 years and Bateman the last 2. There are other players I'm not that impressed with too, I don't think your brain could handle me listing them.

I can't imagine getting so stressed out over another person's opinion like you are. Maybe you should have read the multiple posts where I said if he wants to come and PJ wants him then great? Does the spielman family pay you to go around attacking anybody who doesn't think JD isn't the greatest WR ever? Bateman is much better than spielman, I think CAB is better and has been stuck behind TJ and Bateman and is due to have a break out year. I 100% stick by my I'm not that impressed with him, especially after watching TJ the last 4 years and Bateman the last 2. There are other players I'm not that impressed with too, I don't think your brain could handle me listing them.
Do you think maybe there is an in between on "greatest WR ever" and "not a B10 player".

Also if TJ and RB are your standard for what an acceptable WR is for us, prepare for a lot of future disappointment.

And you have a right to believe CAB is better, but there is approximately zero objective evidence to back that up.

please don't withhold this list from us becasue of the size of MinnGopher's brain

Do you think maybe there is an in between on "greatest WR ever" and "not a B10 player".

Also if TJ and RB are your standard for what an acceptable WR is for us, prepare for a lot of future disappointment.

And you have a right to believe CAB is better, but there is approximately zero objective evidence to back that up.
It will end up either being a hot take or a cold take. Or a take somewhere in between. I think.

Yah the inbetween is I'm unimpressed with him. For like the 10th time, based off how dynamic he was in high school I had higher expectations. THis was funny for a while but now just kind of sad how butt hurt you are that I'm personally not impressed with JD. Are you a friend of his from high school or something? What's your vested interest? Care to comment on the statements I've made multiple times about being OK with himcoming here regardless of what I think?

I'm comparing him to TJ and RB because he was highly recruited like them and expected to have careers like them or honestly more. That hasn't happened. But no I think CAB can be very good and after TJ and RB are drafted high and with PJ (an NFL WR as our coach) we will have a very steady stream of very good WR talent. Not worried about it at all.

There is plenty of objective evidence. Both TJ and RB are better than speilman and CAB has been stuck behind them but still made game changing catches. This year he will have a bigger year than any year JD has had, book it.

How about Carter Coughlin?
One name does not a list make.

I actually agree with you. I think Carter is solid but he never blew me away. His position as a recruiter was more than impressive.

Only on Gopherhole can one argue whether 1 of the best BigTen receivers could add value to our team. He would be a great addition and it would say a ton if he came here. His unique speed would be a dream come true for special teams and this offense.

One name does not a list make.

I actually agree with you. I think Carter is solid but he never blew me away. His position as a recruiter was more than impressive.
Well you are no fun, I though tossing that name out there would really get some people going. Minngopher hasn't responded so maybe his head already exploded over this JD thing... Honestly I hope i'm 100% wrong, he comes here and has a TJ type of year.

Top Bottom