Jack Wilson commits

I can't say with absolute certainty that the Gophers won't rally to an NCAA tournament bubble team with the current group, no. I also can't say with absolute certainty that the Wolves won't come back win their next 4 play-off games despite losing by 25 last night. But I can say that the odds are low in both cases.
Of course the massive difference in these scenarios is that when the Gophers take the court in November it will be the first time we have seen this collection of players together and there will be a whole bunch of unknowns on the roster and across the conference. In the case of the Wolves and Nuggets the teams have played 80+ games and everyone knows what each team is and how the series is likely to play out.

Of course the massive difference in these scenarios is that when the Gophers take the court in November it will be the first time we have seen this collection of players together and there will be a whole bunch of unknowns on the roster and across the conference. In the case of the Wolves and Nuggets the teams have played 80+ games and everyone knows what each team is and how the series is likely to play out.
Sure, but you can't pretend that you cannot make predictions based on scenarios with very few data points. Surprising things happen, to use the NBA comparison, look at the Sacramento Kings.

I am not giving up on the team, nor are very many others. You cant grasp that simple fact.

Let's do something other than talk - you and me, cash based on records.
It is only a basketball and unless you are on the team, a coach, or a near relative of either your lives should not be altered an iota by how the team performs.

Sure, but you can't pretend that you cannot make predictions based on scenarios with very few data points. Surprising things happen, to use the NBA comparison, look at the Sacramento Kings.
For sure, people throw out guesses all the time based on little to no information. You would hope though that when that guess is based on very little concrete information they would be more understanding when people disagree with them or are not willing to buy into their prediction. And to be fair, I think most people are, there are just a few that get offended when someone has the audacity not to agree with their assessment of things.

But specifically in regards to Gopher basketball......I understand why people are negative about the program and assume things are going to go a certain way in the upcoming season, but the fact of the matter is that the team that takes the court in November is going to look very different then the one we just got done watching. So while it is entirely possible the team sucks again, the possibility should also be left open that the team makes improvements as well.

Until we see them on the court there is no way to truly know just how this team is going to perform.

For sure, people throw out guesses all the time based on little to no information. You would hope though that when that guess is based on very little concrete information they would be more understanding when people disagree with them or are not willing to buy into their prediction. And to be fair, I think most people are, there are just a few that get offended when someone has the audacity not to agree with their assessment of things.

But specifically in regards to Gopher basketball......I understand why people are negative about the program and assume things are going to go a certain way in the upcoming season, but the fact of the matter is that the team that takes the court in November is going to look very different then the one we just got done watching. So while it is entirely possible the team sucks again, the possibility should also be left open that the team makes improvements as well.

Until we see them on the court there is no way to truly know just how this team is going to perform.
I disagree that we have very little concrete information about the team. We have seen a huge portion of the team play and are watching the recruits as they come in. Even so, it's not just a shot in the dark. It's not much different than the offseason Super Bowl odds.

I agree with your second paragraph, we won't know until November or maybe even when the Big 10 season starts. But predictions before that time aren't just a complete shot in the dark.

I disagree that we have very little concrete information about the team. We have seen a huge portion of the team play and are watching the recruits as they come in. Even so, it's not just a shot in the dark. It's not much different than the offseason Super Bowl odds.

I agree with your second paragraph, we won't know until November or maybe even when the Big 10 season starts. But predictions before that time aren't just a complete shot in the dark.
Most posts on this board are wildly unreliable as on any board. It is fun and keeps up interest. It’s ok with me.

Agree that we have seen many of them play so have a sense of their game, but we have not seen them play together and a big part of success in basketball is how the pieces mesh.

Preseason predictions are something media and fans do to kill the down time. Some will be close some will miss by a mile and a half but anyone acting like they are positive they know right now how it is all going to turn out is fooling themselves.

Or rebounding, defense and basically any other basketball related skill.
You are concerned about scoring because you have stats to look at. Dumb. You know nothing about defense. Dumber.

Agree that we have seen many of them play so have a sense of their game, but we have not seen them play together and a big part of success in basketball is how the pieces mesh.

Preseason predictions are something media and fans do to kill the down time. Some will be close some will miss by a mile and a half but anyone acting like they are positive they know right now how it is all going to turn out is fooling themselves.
No one knows for certainty, but we can take an educated guess. Doesn't mean we will be right but I think it's odd to take a stance against off season speculation/predictions.

Posters don't seem to mind if I say something like "if we land Mitchell, Pride, and another good guard", we will be a much improved team.

No one knows for certainty, but we can take an educated guess. Doesn't mean we will be right but I think it's odd to take a stance against off season speculation/predictions.

Posters don't seem to mind if I say something like "if we land Mitchell, Pride, and another good guard", we will be a much improved team.
I have no issues with off season speculation/predictions I just don’t put any stock in it.

Have said all along I get where all the negativity is coming from. I have a harder time understanding why some of the negative posters are so bothered by those that have decided to see what happens

I thought y’all might be amused:

Yesterday while perusing the NE basketball forum (looking for Wrightsell intel), I noted a few posters lamenting the need for a Giant Big, to make practices better.

No matter which side of the grass your on, the other guy has it better.

Doogie said on a podcast today that Ihnen is doing very well in recovery but Parker Fox is not. He didn't sound optimistic that Parker would be able to play or contribute next year. That makes taking Wilson as the primary back-up 5 even more concerning, IMO.

Doogie said on a podcast today that Ihnen is doing very well in recovery but Parker Fox is not. He didn't sound optimistic that Parker would be able to play or contribute next year. That makes taking Wilson as the primary back-up 5 even more concerning, IMO.
I wouldn't be entirely shocked if that scholarship opens up due to retirement. It'd be a shame.

I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about this. Signing this guy doesn't move the needle, but that's not the point. This team needs a deep bench center. Our starting C and PF spots are locked in, and both figure to play heavy minutes next year. You have to acknowledge to a potential transfer that he will be coming off the bench, and he will be competing against Ola-Joseph, Fox, Ihnen, and maybe Betts for minutes. We can yell at each other all day about the health of Fox and Ihnen, but it's pretty apparent at this point that both will be giving it a go next year. There aren't many options for centers in the portal to begin with, especially with Big Ten size, and selling one on insignificant bench minutes is already tough. We all want lots of guards on the team next year because of this past year's issues, but there are plenty of scholarships left. Stop fixating on all the sexy transfer pickups from other teams. Outside of the blue bloods and NIL-rich schools, almost all teams this offseason will take in a transfer for deep bench purposes only. And that's exactly what this is, a deep bench pickup. There's nothing to love or hate about it. Time to accept it.

I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about this. Signing this guy doesn't move the needle, but that's not the point. This team needs a deep bench center. Our starting C and PF spots are locked in, and both figure to play heavy minutes next year. You have to acknowledge to a potential transfer that he will be coming off the bench, and he will be competing against Ola-Joseph, Fox, Ihnen, and maybe Betts for minutes. We can yell at each other all day about the health of Fox and Ihnen, but it's pretty apparent at this point that both will be giving it a go next year. There aren't many options for centers in the portal to begin with, especially with Big Ten size, and selling one on insignificant bench minutes is already tough. We all want lots of guards on the team next year because of this past year's issues, but there are plenty of scholarships left. Stop fixating on all the sexy transfer pickups from other teams. Outside of the blue bloods and NIL-rich schools, almost all teams this offseason will take in a transfer for deep bench purposes only. And that's exactly what this is, a deep bench pickup. There's nothing to love or hate about it. Time to accept it.
You new here?

It is only a basketball and unless you are on the team, a coach, or a near relative of either your lives should not be altered an iota by how the team performs.
Of course you are 100% correct. I couldn't care less about anything these young men do in their lives apart from when they put on a Gopher basketball uniform. Yet I do care about the basketball team. I cringe when I read posts that criticize or have given up on Ben. I badly want him to succeed. I left Minnesota many years ago. In that time my interest in the Twins, Vikings, Gopher football and baseball has waned. I was once rabid about all of them. I have maintained a modest interest in Gopher hockey although my love of NHL hockey disappeared with Norm Green. Somehow I have never wavered in my love of the basketball team. I am not really sure why.

Think the point is is so far we’ve only signed Mitchell and we need more guards. If we use our scholarships for contributors it’s probably not a big deal It’s kind of like is this all we got reaction.

Stop fixating on all the sexy transfer pickups from other teams. Outside of the blue bloods and NIL-rich schools, almost all teams this offseason will take in a transfer for deep bench purposes only. And that's exactly what this is, a deep bench pickup. There's nothing to love or hate about it. Time to accept it.
It's fine to rationalize and it's probably the truth but it gets Ben fired.

This seems about right since the last few pics of the team that have been posted have had Ihnen in them but no Fox.

It's time to not expect much from Fox next year, if he's even on the roster at all, which some of us have been saying for awhile...

This seems about right since the last few pics of the team that have been posted have had Ihnen in them but no Fox.

It's time to not expect much from Fox next year, if he's even on the roster at all, which some of us have been saying for awhile...
Ben only took Wilson because he knows Fox will contribute next year, right? ... Right?

Many gh posters have said Fox will be playing and will be counted on for many minutes a game.

Think the point is is so far we’ve only signed Mitchell and we need more guards. If we use our scholarships for contributors it’s probably not a big deal It’s kind of like is this all we got reaction.
100% think if this was the last transfer commit as opposed to the second it would be getting far less attention.

100% think if this was the last transfer commit as opposed to the second it would be getting far less attention.
Think you are correct, at least with me. Some angst will be soothed over when/if he gets two more guards. (Wrightsell, Pride, Brown) Still say get all three.

When Bill Musselman was first brought in to coach he gave a scholarship to a player based on his ability to perform warmup routines. That turned out pretty well.

Top Bottom