Jack Wilson commits

I'm not saying he did or didn't. I'm saying, we were as shitty as could be last year. Garcia would be the ONLY player I'd defer too. With bringing in Wilson, he did nothing to upgrade the roster. I hope Betts, Ihnen and Fox can play, but we've seen what happens when you have to rely on FR and injured people.
Mnvcguy says don't worry, be happy.

We are relying on a core group(JOJ, Payne, Garcia, Carrington) that produced the worst season of my life. And that core lost two significant pieces. I'm hoping Mitchell is better than Cooper to mitigate that loss. If we are starting Betts/Carrington in place of Battle, that is a downgrade. Ihnen and Fox have been hurt two years in a row and Ihnen wasn't that great when he played. So right now, we're rolling with 5 known quantities(maybe 4 depending on how Carrington is viewed), 4 of which produced one of the worst Gopher seasons ever.

We should be bringing in guys to COMPETE with Payne, JOJ, Carrington, instead of acquiescing to them. They haven't proven anything other than they can be somewhat productive on an atrocious team. Which always brings me back to, someone has to score/rebound on a shitty team.

I'm hopeful this core makes a jump, if not Johnson is gone because he didn't do enough this portal cycle(maybe that changes in the weeks ahead).
So what's your solution....dump the core and start over again? Transfer recruiting is insanely competitive and we don't have the pay for play resources to buy the top guys. So it is going to be a struggle to bring in a bunch of impact transfers.

In the end you have to trust the guys you have recruited and brought in to be the core of your team and then you try and fill in around them as best you can. They have Mitchell so far and are actively pursing other guards as well.

Going into a season with a bunch of unknowns is tough but it is where we are at. Nobody in here knows what we are going to get from Betts, Ihnen and Fox and anyone saying they do is just guessing. If all 3 can be productive the overall makeup of the roster looks a whole lot better. If they can't then the negative crowd almost certainly gets their wish of a new coach.

Respectfully, the combination of Cooper (91% of minutes), Battle (77%), Henley (52%), Samuels (38%), and Thompson (18%) equals over half of the available PT to replace (54% to be exact). 3 returners make up 80% of the remaining 46% of minutes. Therefore, the idea that the other 4 returning players and 1 frosh would make up for that loss doesn’t seem all that reasonable to me…Especially considering this group was actually terrible. Upgrades are sorely needed.
I appreciate you bringing up the exact numbers, that's helpful. And you can make the argument that Mitchell is an upgrade over Cooper, and that the minutes of TT and Samuels aren't too crucial, because it's very likely there are upgrades there as well. You could also argue that Battle and Henley weren't exactly All-Americans last year. I still don't think it's possible here to be getting 4-5 starter quality guys out of the portal, so taking a flyer on this guy Wilson is not proof that Johnson's an idiot or unable to judge talent.

This will be a very different team next year, and that's a good thing. And I think we both agree that upgrades are sorely needed.

lol....wow....my trying to take an optimistic outlook and hoping the best really bugs you doesn't it?
Hope in one hand......,,,,,

Doesn't bug me, in fact your truly fun to read. Delusion is alive and well, and avoiding reality is your go to.

This particular poster does, indeed, rationalize nearly everything. Just does. If you can't see it and acknowledge it, just wow.
What matters is winning. I know you haven't witnessed much of it at Mn for quite some time, so I can understand your confusion. Perhaps you are of the opinion the current roster plus portals and freshmen will carry the team to much more winning. We saw lots of freshmen minutes this season. The only positive from that was experience. Which is a huge positive. Now let's count on more freshmen and two coming off major injuries. Guess the proof will come.
I think you're right, the proof will come. I went to the U and I've been watching Gopher basketball for about 50 years, and I'd like them to win as badly as anyone. I'm not of the opinion yet that the current roster plus portals and freshman will carry them anywhere yet. In the Big Ten you win mostly with good guard play. Ours stunk last year. But I do believe that if they get at least one other (I hope two of them) quality guard like Mitchell to go along with Christie and Carrington, their guard play will be much improved. And I think that's possible, to go along with a fairly good front line.

And yes, they need to get better, and if they don't, Johnson is gone. My bet would be they show pretty good improvement and Johnson stays. If that makes me overly optimistic, so be it.

Lol. You should maybe look up the definition of irony yourself. What you're describing would be, as presented, a failure of logic.

Here's an example of irony: let's say someone were to lecture another on the meaning of "irony," while clearly not understanding the meaning themself.
I thought I had a pretty good grasp of it, but I'll check to make sure since you don't think I grasp it. It does seem a bit odd that someone who is knowledgeable and who knows the concept of irony so well doesn't use grammar too well and uses the word "themself" to refer to me. That would indicate that you think I'm gender neutral-actually, I'm fully male.

So what's your solution....dump the core and start over again? Transfer recruiting is insanely competitive and we don't have the pay for play resources to buy the top guys. So it is going to be a struggle to bring in a bunch of impact transfers.

In the end you have to trust the guys you have recruited and brought in to be the core of your team and then you try and fill in around them as best you can. They have Mitchell so far and are actively pursing other guards as well.

Going into a season with a bunch of unknowns is tough but it is where we are at. Nobody in here knows what we are going to get from Betts, Ihnen and Fox and anyone saying they do is just guessing. If all 3 can be productive the overall makeup of the roster looks a whole lot better. If they can't then the negative crowd almost certainly gets their wish of a new coach.

My solution is to try to bring in the best possible players. This commitment doesn't do that.

And yeah, we don't know what those 3 will bring to the table, but based on precedence it won't be much(hopefully I'm wrong). It's not like Betts was a high-profile recruit. And Ihnen didn't produce the two years he played. And Fox was a D2 player. And both are coming off bad injuries.

I guess that's my issue is the trust in the core guys. They were all 3 star recruits. Tough to trust that as FR and SO's. Which is why I hope we get a starting-level SG and SF here soon in the portal because I don't think it's on the roster. Not to knock the players, but if you're a 3 star, hopefully by your JR & SR year, you're able to produce to winning basketball like a Murphy or Mason type.

I think you're right, the proof will come. I went to the U and I've been watching Gopher basketball for about 50 years, and I'd like them to win as badly as anyone. I'm not of the opinion yet that the current roster plus portals and freshman will carry them anywhere yet. In the Big Ten you win mostly with good guard play. Ours stunk last year. But I do believe that if they get at least one other (I hope two of them) quality guard like Mitchell to go along with Christie and Carrington, their guard play will be much improved. And I think that's possible, to go along with a fairly good front line.

And yes, they need to get better, and if they don't, Johnson is gone. My bet would be they show pretty good improvement and Johnson stays. If that makes me overly optimistic, so be it.
Been a fan for 50 years myself. Loyal to a fault. Can't help it.

The incoming guards will have to have great success in order for the team to have even mediocre success, imo. Betts and Christie are fr. Two more coming off major injuries. Hope like he'll both of them play great, but that's a big hope and hope isn't my thing.

Sunday night 8:00 ... what's Jack doing?
In the gym working on post moves?
Lifting weights?
Drinking beer, hanging out?
Watching the NBA on TNT?

Been a fan for 50 years myself. Loyal to a fault. Can't help it.

The incoming guards will have to have great success in order for the team to have even mediocre success, imo. Betts and Christie are fr. Two more coming off major injuries. Hope like he'll both of them play great, but that's a big hope and hope isn't my thing.
Well, here's to a couple old guys still clinging to something, even if it's not hope! And if they can get some competent play from between Christie, Carrington, Mitchell, and whomever else they can get from the portal, the team will be considerably better.

Hey, if we don't have hope, what do we have?

Let's hope Wilson comes into the game against Bucky and uses his fouls to send Wahl/Crowl back to the lockeroom to get measured for a face mask
I believe there are laws against beating senior citizens like Wahl.

Sunday night 8:00 ... what's Jack doing?
In the gym working on post moves?
Lifting weights?
Drinking beer, hanging out?
Watching the NBA on TNT?
For $10 NIL you can find out live....

Hope in one hand......,,,,,

Doesn't bug me, in fact your truly fun to read. Delusion is alive and well, and avoiding reality is your go to.
Look, I'm sorry you are apparently so beaten down by following Gopher basketball that you view holding onto hope that things will go well as delusion.

I fully understand what has been going on with the program and I also fully understand that a lot of things will have to break right for the team in order to have any sort of significant improvement this coming season. But I refuse to just throw in the towel and assume it is all going to go to crap before the season even starts.

Look, I'm sorry you are apparently so beaten down by following Gopher basketball that you view holding onto hope that things will go well as delusion.

I fully understand what has been going on with the program and I also fully understand that a lot of things will have to break right for the team in order to have any sort of significant improvement this coming season. But I refuse to just throw in the towel and assume it is all going to go to crap before the season even starts.
Your delusion is a lot deeper than holding out hope, vc. You have the hope role down pat.

Reality suggests something much, much different, based on a lot of factors and variables. Significant improvement resulting in a lot of wins likely will come from better players on the team. I see much of the same for next season, and I think you do as well - you simply wont admit as much.

Your delusion is a lot deeper than holding out hope, vc. You have the hope role down pat.

Reality suggests something much, much different, based on a lot of factors and variables. Significant improvement resulting in a lot of wins likely will come from better players on the team. I see much of the same for next season, and I think you do as well - you simply wont admit as much.
You see the same roster in 23-24 that was there in 22-23....really?

Mitchell, Betts, Ihnen, Fox, and Christie didn't log a single minute for the team last season and there is likely to be at least one more transfer added to that mix, maybe more.

3 of the 4 returning players that did log minutes were true freshman last year. They will all have a full off-season to build on what they learned in year one and should hopefully all come in more physically and mentally prepared to compete in the Big Ten based on the experience from last year.

I have no idea how next season is going to go. It could certainly all go to crap again leading to Johnson getting fired. You apparently have already decided that is going to be the outcome.

If being delusional means at least believing there is a chance things could go well then I guess that makes me delusional. I would rather be that then someone that has already thrown in the towel before the roster is even complete and the first game has been played.

You see the same roster in 23-24 that was there in 22-23....really?

Mitchell, Betts, Ihnen, Fox, and Christie didn't log a single minute for the team last season and there is likely to be at least one more transfer added to that mix, maybe more.

3 of the 4 returning players that did log minutes were true freshman last year. They will all have a full off-season to build on what they learned in year one and should hopefully all come in more physically and mentally prepared to compete in the Big Ten based on the experience from last year.

I have no idea how next season is going to go. It could certainly all go to crap again leading to Johnson getting fired. You apparently have already decided that is going to be the outcome.

If being delusional means at least believing there is a chance things could go well then I guess that makes me delusional. I would rather be that then someone that has already thrown in the towel before the roster is even complete and the first game has been played.
All this and you wont predict how many wins the team will have next season, even after all rosters are set? Your confidence is high, on paper. Fence riding everywhere else it seems. Step up if you have confidence. If not, youre all talk.

Betts and Christie are fr. We saw how that works this past season. Both could be much better than the fr from this past season. Likely, I think not.

II and Fox are both coming off major injuries and have not played in two years. II was nothing special when he did play. Lots of potential, and I have seen that many, many times before.

Next season could be a wonderful season. It would be surprising - to most fans, anyway. Me included. BTW - I simply believe in reality, not constant hope. Past performance and future predictors.......

All this and you wont predict how many wins the team will have next season, even after all rosters are set? Your confidence is high, on paper. Fence riding everywhere else it seems. Step up if you have confidence. If not, youre all talk.

Betts and Christie are fr. We saw how that works this past season. Both could be much better than the fr from this past season. Likely, I think not.

II and Fox are both coming off major injuries and have not played in two years. II was nothing special when he did play. Lots of potential, and I have seen that many, many times before.

Next season could be a wonderful season. It would be surprising - to most fans, anyway. Me included. BTW - I simply believe in reality, not constant hope. Past performance and future predictors.......
lol....we are all "all talk" in here.

Look, this discussion is pointless because we aren't ever going to see eye to eye. Said multiple times, I have no clue how the season is going to go, just not willing to give up on the team and players before it even starts.

lol....we are all "all talk" in here.

Look, this discussion is pointless because we aren't ever going to see eye to eye. Said multiple times, I have no clue how the season is going to go, just not willing to give up on the team and players before it even starts.
I am not giving up on the team, nor are very many others. You cant grasp that simple fact.

Let's do something other than talk - you and me, cash based on records.

I think it would be foolish to bet without knowing the final roster, regardless how full you think the glass is. For example - and this isn't happening, so suspend your disbelief - if Tylor Perry had committed, things change in a hurry.

I think it would be foolish to bet without knowing the final roster, regardless how full you think the glass is. For example - and this isn't happening, so suspend your disbelief - if Tylor Perry had committed, things change in a hurry.
I have said all along wait until the final rosters are set. vc is now gone.

I am not giving up on the team, nor are very many others. You cant grasp that simple fact.

Let's do something other than talk - you and me, cash based on records.
If you think the team is going to suck next year you are giving up on them before the season, not sure why you can't grasp that simple fact.

And your reply to me saying I have no clue how next year is going to go is to suggest we bet on it? How does that make any sense? You act like I'm saying we should be planning the parade route just because I'm not willing to say the team will suck next year again.

I'm done trying to reason with you.

If you think the team is going to suck next year you are giving up on them before the season, not sure why you can't grasp that simple fact.

And your reply to me saying I have no clue how next year is going to go is to suggest we bet on it? How does that make any sense? You act like I'm saying we should be planning the parade route just because I'm not willing to say the team will suck next year again.

I'm done trying to reason with you.
All fine, vc. Dont want to do anything but talk, so be it. Opportunity is there and you run away.

Top Bottom