Jack Wilson commits

I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about this. Signing this guy doesn't move the needle, but that's not the point. This team needs a deep bench center. Our starting C and PF spots are locked in, and both figure to play heavy minutes next year. You have to acknowledge to a potential transfer that he will be coming off the bench, and he will be competing against Ola-Joseph, Fox, Ihnen, and maybe Betts for minutes. We can yell at each other all day about the health of Fox and Ihnen, but it's pretty apparent at this point that both will be giving it a go next year. There aren't many options for centers in the portal to begin with, especially with Big Ten size, and selling one on insignificant bench minutes is already tough. We all want lots of guards on the team next year because of this past year's issues, but there are plenty of scholarships left. Stop fixating on all the sexy transfer pickups from other teams. Outside of the blue bloods and NIL-rich schools, almost all teams this offseason will take in a transfer for deep bench purposes only. And that's exactly what this is, a deep bench pickup. There's nothing to love or hate about it. Time to accept it.
I think the bold is where you and some of the other posters disagree. It's not a huge deal but I think WIlson represents what has annoyed some of us with how scholarships are used. In a vacuum, Wilson isn't a big deal. In totality, if you look at what appear to be similar types of signings, they have made up a large portion of our scholarship allocation the last three seasons.

As to the bolded point above, I don't believe we need a deep bench center who can't really play. His stats are considerably worse than T. Thompson's stats. Thompson shot a higher percentage (even though half of his shots came from 3), he rebounded better, he blocked more shots, etc. The advanced stats heavily favor Thompson. So what we added was an older and considerably less productive center than Treyton Thompson. I think the minutes that would go to a deep bench center would be better filled by one of our PFs (Garcia, Ihnen, Fox).

I think the bold is where you and some of the other posters disagree. It's not a huge deal but I think WIlson represents what has annoyed some of us with how scholarships are used. In a vacuum, Wilson isn't a big deal. In totality, if you look at what appear to be similar types of signings, they have made up a large portion of our scholarship allocation the last three seasons.

As to the bolded point above, I don't believe we need a deep bench center who can't really play. His stats are considerably worse than T. Thompson's stats. Thompson shot a higher percentage (even though half of his shots came from 3), he rebounded better, he blocked more shots, etc. The advanced stats heavily favor Thompson. So what we added was an older and considerably less productive center than Treyton Thompson. I think the minutes that would go to a deep bench center would be better filled by one of our PFs (Garcia, Ihnen, Fox).
Thompson had no role. The purpose of Wilson, outside of practice is to have a huge body to come in and play a few minutes at a time of defense and set screens against big opposing posts. I see zero problem with that. Plus the kid has great spirit and is a strength and conditioning guy who might get some of the other guys to muscle up a bit more.

Don't disagree with any of that^. I will add that TT played way too much for my taste. I believe if Ihnen and/or Fox were healthy, TT would not have seen the floor. TT was basically a fraud to me. Hey, we have a 7 footer. Well, not really. In fairness, Payne is too short for me. I like protypical centers. Kofi Cockburn types. (7', 290lbs). I am fine with Wilson playing sub 5 minutes per game spelling Payne and/or whoever else plays the 5 for the gophers this season. He may even disappoint in that role. We'll see. I hope Wilson's playing weight this fall is somewhere around 290. I really only care about who the top 8-9 players are. Those are the guys who will log 95-98% of the minutes when the season starts. Ben, sign 2 guards this week please.

Thompson had no role. The purpose of Wilson, outside of practice is to have a huge body to come in and play a few minutes at a time of defense and set screens against big opposing posts. I see zero problem with that. Plus the kid has great spirit and is a strength and conditioning guy who might get some of the other guys to muscle up a bit more.
This worries me a lot more though if the reports are true about Fox. I figured that Payne would play 25-30 minutes as our post, with Fox playing the rest. Wilson only necessary to see a few minutes against the true bigs/if both guys are injured or in foul trouble. If Fox can't go next year, what is the plan when Payne picks up his 2nd foul 6 minutes into the first half? Ihnen? Garcia? JOJ? Wilson?

I am curious to see how Wilson has remade his game/body. He was listed at 247 pounds at Idaho. I don't really take much of anything away from his play at Washington state, he had been playing OL and was not a part of the team until December. He is now a 6th year senior who was recently 337 pounds (now 325?) with an offseason to get into basketball shape and integrate into the team.

If he is planning on being a strength coach I imagine he will have follow through on this. Taurus Samuels, Brock Stull and other grad transfers have sometimes struggled from being out of shape for us.

I think he can be more effective than Treyton Thompson, at the role we needed them both at. As a former big man myself I ran into too many Treyton Thompson types who thought they were guards. I'll take the banger.

I am curious to see how Wilson has remade his game/body. He was listed at 247 pounds at Idaho. I don't really take much of anything away from his play at Washington state, he had been playing OL and was not a part of the team until December. He is now a 6th year senior who was recently 337 pounds (now 325?) with an offseason to get into basketball shape and integrate into the team.

If he is planning on being a strength coach I imagine he will have follow through on this. Taurus Samuels, Brock Stull and other grad transfers have sometimes struggled from being out of shape for us.

I think he can be more effective than Treyton Thompson, at the role we needed them both at. As a former big man myself I ran into too many Treyton Thompson types who thought they were guards. I'll take the banger.
I am not trying to be a smart ass, but why do you think this?

This worries me a lot more though if the reports are true about Fox. I figured that Payne would play 25-30 minutes as our post, with Fox playing the rest. Wilson only necessary to see a few minutes against the true bigs/if both guys are injured or in foul trouble. If Fox can't go next year, what is the plan when Payne picks up his 2nd foul 6 minutes into the first half? Ihnen? Garcia? JOJ? Wilson?
What are the reports on Fox?

Both Fox and Ihnen are practicing with the team but held out of “full contact.” Ihnen is close to getting full release. Fox expected this summer. That is very good news to me. Fox can fill a needed dimension we need. Ihnen is very versatile.

Frome howeda7 on the previous page of this thread:
Doogie said on a podcast today that Ihnen is doing very well in recovery but Parker Fox is not. He didn't sound optimistic that Parker would be able to play or contribute next year.

Both Fox and Ihnen are practicing with the team but held out of “full contact.” Ihnen is close to getting full release. Fox expected this summer. That is very good news to me. Fox can fill a needed dimension we need. Ihnen is very versatile.
What about doogies report, nothing but smoke?

The number of times I saw Thompson pushed around and not get a rebound when I thought for sure he would snag it.
Advanced stats, this includes Idaho and Oregon State, says Treyton rebounds at a higher rate

What about doogies report, nothing but smoke?
I caught it from a CBJ statement about a month ago. I’ll take that over Howdy and Doogie any day. But yes, Fox is behind Ihnen in both cases.

Last edited:

Advanced stats, this includes Idaho and Oregon State, says Treyton rebounds at a higher rate
If you put Wilson in against TT- who do you think is going to come away with the rebound? My bet is on Wilson. This isn't that hard.

If you put Wilson in against TT- who do you think is going to come away with the rebound? My bet is on Wilson. This isn't that hard.
I mean if the ball took a long bounce then maybe TT could get it.....but yeah....if it was a battle down low it would be no contest.

At Oregon State he was listed at 255 pounds as a true freshman. He played at 247 pounds at Idaho. I'm curious now that he is a 6th year guy and ostensibly in good shape, playing around 300 pounds, if he will have grown into his body and be a better rebounder than Treyton. We'll see.

I am worried if he is our top option to back up Payne.

Wilson. That's the problem. Ihnen is a 2 guard per Ben. Surely he can't play center.

Dennis Rodman weighed less than half the dudes he out rebounded. If being strong made him that much of a rebounder why wasn’t he playing the emergency center role at Wazzou.

I caught it from a CBJ statement about a month ago. I’ll take that over Howdy and Doogie any day. But yes, Fox is behind Ihnen in both cases.
I'm not reporting anything but what Doogie said. But it's pretty well established his main contact on Gopher basketball is Ben so I'd hardly call it worthless. Ben being honest about Fox off the record and happy warrior on the record would be hardly be unusual or surprising.

Dennis Rodman weighed less than half the dudes he out rebounded. If being strong made him that much of a rebounder why wasn’t he playing the emergency center role at Wazzou.
Never will TT and Rodman be mentioned in the same conversation again... :)

TT just doesn't have the muscle or motor to overcome his slim build and I just don't think he has the desire to do it either.

TT just doesn't have the muscle or motor to overcome his slim build and I just don't think he has the desire to do it either.
So what leads you to believe that Wilson has the motor to be a rebounder or defender?

There is literally 0 evidence to support it

One question I haven't seen answered here. If all we wanted was a practice guy against PP, why not just bring in his brother? 6'8 240 and I'm willing to bet knows how to move his brother. Furthermore probably keeps PP happier. That I could at least understand.

Did they need an emergency center to play? I watched one of WSU's games from last season. They had some pretty long, athletic, forwards. One being an NBA prospect in Mouhamed Gueye.

Top Bottom