Jack Wilson commits

What we need and what they end up contributing are two separate things.
I just don’t see the need. If you feel like Ihnen & Fox can’t play 5-10 at Center then they become redundant players. Neither will be able to play 3 so now we will have a log jam at the 4

I just don’t see the need. If you feel like Ihnen & Fox can’t play 5-10 at Center then they become redundant players. Neither will be able to play 3 so now we will have a log jam at the 4
Ihnen is a 2 and Fox likely won't contribute at all... log jam solved😉 I don't know what if anything Wilson will contribute, but I do know that we got bullied in the post last season. I think once Evans fell through, CBJ wanted to make sure he got a guy he could put down low and not get pushed around.

Ihnen is a 2 and Fox likely won't contribute at all... log jam solved😉 I don't know what if anything Wilson will contribute, but I do know that we got bullied in the post last season. I think once Evans fell through, CBJ wanted to make sure he got a guy he could put down low and not get pushed around.
So Wilson is the replacement for Dennis Evans?

Does anyone know what other teams contacted Wilson? Every other recruit seems to have a list of 15 schools who were interested.

So Wilson is the replacement for Dennis Evans?

Does anyone know what other teams contacted Wilson? Every other recruit seems to have a list of 15 schools who were interested.
Unless we get another post player, short term it appears so. I'm not defending this as a good thing. Imo he fills a position of need and he may have been our best option. Sorry as it is.

What we need and what they end up contributing are two separate things.
This is exactly the point, even the smartest people on the planet can be wrong about their roster needs.

Ben has not had the greatest track record of either (a) identifying what his roster really needs; and/or (b) getting those things.

The fact that Ben thought he needed Ogele and Samuels and was wrong seems to run contrary to your stance that because Ben thinks he needs Wilson, his roster needed Wilson.

Even great coaches can be wrong and it's occasionally the peanut gallery is right.

Unless we get another post player, short term it appears so. I'm not defending this as a good thing. Imo he fills a position of need and he may have been our best option. Sorry as it is.
If you were coaching a team and you had to find 5 minutes per game at the center position, would you give it to Wilson or slide over Dawson/Ihnen and bring in Olo-Joseph/Betts?

If you were coaching a team and you had to find 5 minutes per game at the center position, would you give it to Wilson or slide over Dawson/Ihnen and bring in Olo-Joseph/Betts?
I'd like to watch him play before I answer that, but I want none of those guys guarding most centers in the Big Ten.

One question I haven't seen answered here. If all we wanted was a practice guy against PP, why not just bring in his brother? 6'8 240 and I'm willing to bet knows how to move his brother. Furthermore probably keeps PP happier. That I could at least understand.
My guess is 1 year player vs. 2-3 year player.

I'd like to watch him play before I answer that, but I want none of those guys guarding most centers in the Big Ten.
Yeah, it's not ideal to have Garcia or Ihnen play center but I think they are both better options than someone who is considerably worse than Thompson.

But we'll see.

Yeah, it's not ideal to have Garcia or Ihnen play center but I think they are both better options than someone who is considerably worse than Thompson.

But we'll see.
The "considerably worse than Thompson" statement is not necessarily true. In fact, I am guessing Wilson would do the job at center, better than Thompson. Ihnen may well be a better option. Garcia should stay at the 4 at all times.

Wish more of us could look at this in another way a less bad option. I think it is possible to get 10 good minutes a game from Wilson. He has dropped to 315 already. I think he can play at 280. I am willing to work with him on his own training and conditioning. Longer term it will help his coaching. His footwork is good, but he needs to play well above the rim to give us those minutes. His physique alone makes him an intimidator. It is possible he gives us some quality minutes.

The "considerably worse than Thompson" statement is not necessarily true. In fact, I am guessing Wilson would do the job at center, better than Thompson. Ihnen may well be a better option. Garcia should stay at the 4 at all times.
I guess we don't know now, but statistically, he is considerably worse than Thompson.

Statistically, Thompson was a much better scorer, a better rebounder, more assists, fewer turnovers, a better defender (by everyone advanced stat you can think of). Wilson had a negative WS, and shot under 40% despite not attempting a single 3.

It's not necessarily true that Thompson is better than Wilson, but every single piece of data we have suggests it's not even close. I've seen very few people with worse statistical profiles than Jack Wilson. You're saying you'd rather have 5 minutes of front court of Jack Wilson (C) - Dawson Garcia (4) than Garcia (5) and Olo-Joseph(4). . . I don't think you'll have that opinion in December.

I guess we don't know now, but statistically, he is considerably worse than Thompson.

Statistically, Thompson was a much better scorer, a better rebounder, more assists, fewer turnovers, a better defender (by everyone advanced stat you can think of). Wilson had a negative WS, and shot under 40% despite not attempting a single 3.

It's not necessarily true that Thompson is better than Wilson, but every single piece of data we have suggests it's not even close. I've seen very few people with worse statistical profiles than Jack Wilson. You're saying you'd rather have 5 minutes of front court of Jack Wilson (C) - Dawson Garcia (4) than Garcia (5) and Olo-Joseph(4). . . I don't think you'll have that opinion in December.
add to that 4 years and 3 coaches (and coaching staffs) didn't seem to improve the results for wilson

indeed. yet still got a bball scholarship to the bigten
Probably because he has uniquely massive size and decent athleticism. I mean you don't find 335 pound 6-11 guys who have played both college football and basketball just hanging around everywhere

Wish more of us could look at this in another way a less bad option. I think it is possible to get 10 good minutes a game from Wilson. He has dropped to 315 already. I think he can play at 280. I am willing to work with him on his own training and conditioning. Longer term it will help his coaching. His footwork is good, but he needs to play well above the rim to give us those minutes. His physique alone makes him an intimidator. It is possible he gives us some quality minutes.
This sounds like bad fan fiction. This guy played 40 mins all of last year and was on scholarship for football. Your position projects him at 300 good minutes this season in a better conference. Do you understand why we are skeptical? Ben is very close to just winging it on scholarships here.

Probably because he has uniquely massive size and decent athleticism. I mean you don't find 335 pound 6-11 guys who have played both college football and basketball just hanging around everywhere
Kyle Smith must be one bad coach. WSU just barely got into the NIT. Against Cal, a game WSU had to win to hit .500 for the season, Smith chose not to play Wilson. In the NIT against Eastern Washington, a game WSU had to win to move on, no Wilson. that game was just over a month ago
Smith has a 56% win rate. In games his team had to win he elected not to play wilson

He wasn't exactly committed to basketball
Per Doogie, he's playing basketball this year because in order to claim the "Covid year" you have to be in the same sport you played that season. He played basketball in 2019 - 20 so he has to play basketball this year to be eligible.

You need to fill 15 minutes, sometimes 20. First option is Fox if he can play. Second option is Ihnen. Garcia rarely and only when opponents don't have a real post player. Wilson situationally when needed.

I see it differently. None of the 5's in the BIG play 40 minutes. Edey, Dickinson, etc... They all play about 30 min/gm. (Dickinson 32.7 min/gm). I see it as if Dickinson (now at Ohio State) goes out of the game for a break-so does Payne. Dickinson comes back into the game-so does Payne. Of course if that BIG team has an awesome back up 5 then we may have a problem. The way I see it, whomever spells Payne when he's on the bench will be guarding the other teams BU 5, not their starter. I am assuming a combination of Garcia/Ihnen/Fox/Betts/JOJ/Wilson can guard most back up 5's in the BIG (for 5-10 min/gm on average). I could be way wrong. We'll see.

But we'll see.
Why compare Wilson with Thompson? One is a center, the other a wing.

Per Doogie, he's playing basketball this year because in order to claim the "Covid year" you have to be in the same sport you played that season. He played basketball in 2019 - 20 so he has to play basketball this year to be eligible.
It's kind of an odd rule, they should have just made COVID a year that doesn't count against your clock at all (if they were dead set on doing it).

Top Bottom