Jack Wilson commits

I think it would be foolish to bet without knowing the final roster, regardless how full you think the glass is. For example - and this isn't happening, so suspend your disbelief - if Tylor Perry had committed, things change in a hurry.
If if if if if......

curious if the football weight has given him a negative vertical leap
Seems like a decent athlete, hopefully he can get into basketball shape. I couldn't find any film of him playing. There was one edited game where the only clip is him entering the game at the end and the announcer saying, "if he looks like you wouldn't wanna meet him in an alley, you wouldn't."

Fans don’t bet against “their team.” Period! You are something other than a Gopher fan. Maybe a Crappie fan.
Don't know if I totally agree with that. You will find fans that are negative about their teams prospects all the time.

The weird thing here is how determined some of this crowd are to sh!t on anyone who is even willing to entertain the thought that things could go right and the team could get better.

I mean I am not even saying the team will for sure be good and I am being called delusional....you can't make it up.

Don't know if I totally agree with that. You will find fans that are negative about their teams prospects all the time.

The weird thing here is how determined some of this crowd are to sh!t on anyone who is even willing to entertain the thought that things could go right and the team could get better.

I mean I am not even saying the team will for sure be good and I am being called delusional....you can't make it up.
You have no sense of reality. Only hope.

No one wants this plan to fail. But this coaching staff has been nothing short of a complete train wreck. So there is nothing to base hope for a turnaround on other than better talent. Last year we were 2-17. And as of right now, the roster is, at best, about a wash with where it was at the end of the season.

Unless we pull two more pretty significant pieces from the portal, it's hard to see where the significant improvement is going to come from.

Last edited:

No one wants this plan to fail. But this coaching staff has been nothing short of a complete train wreck. So there is nothing to base hope for a turnaround on other than better talent. Least year we were 2-17. And as of right now, the roster is, at best, about a wash with where it was at the end of the season.

Unless we pull two more pretty significant pieces from the portal, it's hard to see where the significant improvement is going to come from.
Not for Mnvcguy.

When I get together with old friends I definitely enjoy the company of a guy who says ‘yep, this our year. I get it —-ain’t no one stealing your sunshine!

Respectfully, the combination of Cooper (91% of minutes), Battle (77%), Henley (52%), Samuels (38%), and Thompson (18%) equals over half of the available PT to replace (54% to be exact). 3 returners make up 80% of the remaining 46% of minutes. Therefore, the idea that the other 4 returning players and 1 frosh would make up for that loss doesn’t seem all that reasonable to me…Especially considering this group was actually terrible. Upgrades are sorely needed.

Mathletes grab your calculators!

No one wants this plan to fail. But this coaching staff has been nothing short of a complete train wreck. So there is nothing to base hope for a turnaround on other than better talent. Last year we were 2-17. And as of right now, the roster is, at best, about a wash with where it was at the end of the season.

Totally valid opinion, and it is easy to understand why some have such a hard time having any hope at all that the program will find a way to turn things around.

Some us want to see the new faces in action before forming opinions on how good or bad the 23-24 team is going to be. Mitchell, Betts, Fox, Ihnen, Christie, Wilson, and whatever other transfers the team lands might end up not providing any sort of improvement on the court. But that is 6 new pieces already with the potential to add 1-2 more. So the potential is there for things to improve, even if some refuse to believe that.

Totally valid opinion, and it is easy to understand why some have such a hard time having any hope at all that the program will find a way to turn things around.

Some us want to see the new faces in action before forming opinions on how good or bad the 23-24 team is going to be. Mitchell, Betts, Fox, Ihnen, Christie, Wilson, and whatever other transfers the team lands might end up not providing any sort of improvement on the court. But that is 6 new pieces already with the potential to add 1-2 more. So the potential is there for things to improve, even if some refuse to believe that.
Mitchell is realistically a wash for Cooper.

Christie is realistically a wash for Henley

Betts/Ihnen being a wash for Battle is frankly a stretch, but maybe one of them can be.

Fox/Wilson might provide more than TT, but probably not much.

Can Mitchell and Christie be better than Cooper/Henley? Yes. Is it more than 50/50 they will be? No. And to what degree? A drop off from losing Battle might well offset gains at the 1/2 spot.

If they could have kept Evans, Battle and Henley in the fold and swapped Cooper for Mitchell, I could get on board with the optimism. But that's not what happened. Absent two starting caliber additions in the portal, the only real place for improvement is in Payne and Carrington. But how many wins does that translate to?

Last edited:

All fine, vc. Dont want to do anything but talk, so be it. Opportunity is there and you run away.
A fan for 50 years? Then I guess it is safe to assume you are playing the back nine of life?

Assuming this is the case, you should be old enough to realize you are arguing over a future event that has not happened yet and of which you cannot possibly know the outcome.

Most of us have the same assessment. The results have been dismal thus far. There isn't a ton of confidence this coaching staff can turn it around, and if I'm being totally honest, I can't say I blame anyone based on what we have seen. For all intents and purposes, CBJ is going to have to coach his ass off next season to have any chance at a year 4. Is it possible? Sure. But only time will tell if this experiment eventually pans out.

Is someone choosing to have a little optimism in the face of what appears to be daunting odds that much of a problem for you? Calling someone delusional because they choose not to wallow in the same fatalistic slop is weirdly arrogant. I mean, why get your undies in a twist? It has no impact on you one way or the other. If you are right, we'll have a new coach a year from now. If you are wrong, then we had a pretty good season and things are moving in the right direction. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Mitchell is realistically a wash for Cooper.

Christie is realistically a wash for Henley

Betts/Ihnen being a wash for Battle is frankly a stretch, but maybe one of them can be.

Fox/Wilson might provide more than TT, but probably not much.

Can Mitchell and Christie be better than Cooper/Henley? Yes. Is it more than 50/50 they will be? No. And to what degree? A drop off from losing Battle might well offset gains at the 1/2 spot.

If they could have kept Evans, Battle and Henley in the fold and swapped Cooper for Mitchell, I could get on board with the optimism. But that's not what happened. Absent two starting caliber additions in the portal, the only real place for improvement is in Payne and Carrington. But how many wins does that translate to?
You could end up being 100% right in your assessment, but you could also be wrong.

The bottom line is there is no way anyone can say with absolute certainty what we will get from Mitchell, Betts, Ihnen, Fox, Christie, Wilson and whatever other transfers come on board. It is also unknown how much the freshman will develop over the off season.

So yeah, I plan to reserve judgement until we actually get to see this new mix on the court.

Your delusion is a lot deeper than holding out hope, vc. You have the hope role down pat.

Reality suggests something much, much different, based on a lot of factors and variables. Significant improvement resulting in a lot of wins likely will come from better players on the team. I see much of the same for next season, and I think you do as well - you simply wont admit as much.
The partial team we have today is not much improved over last year's full team, but somewhat. In terms of wins, marginal. Mitchel improves the team. The three second year players will be much better. That improves the team. Ihnen and Fox improve the team either a little, more or a lot. Unknown. Cooper and Henley are losses, TT and Samues are not. Battle is most likely no loss and there is a better chance of a net improvement at the 3 position.

That's today. The season starts in November. If there are no more quality transfers added the talent level will not be improved enough. No
Since we signed him?
No, since this morning. He missed lunch.

You could end up being 100% right in your assessment, but you could also be wrong.

The bottom line is there is no way anyone can say with absolute certainty what we will get from Mitchell, Betts, Ihnen, Fox, Christie, Wilson and whatever other transfers come on board. It is also unknown how much the freshman will develop over the off season.

So yeah, I plan to reserve judgement until we actually get to see this new mix on the court.
I can't say with absolute certainty that the Gophers won't rally to an NCAA tournament bubble team with the current group, no. I also can't say with absolute certainty that the Wolves won't come back win their next 4 play-off games despite losing by 25 last night. But I can say that the odds are low in both cases.

I can say with absolute certainty that we will get nothing out of Wilson.

This is a feature about Wilson from a local news station out West. Shows some practice time and discusses his background. Prior to college and his first 2 years of college he was a BB player.

Top Bottom