Jack Wilson commits

That's going to be a lot of muscle and weight pounding with he and Payne against each other in practice this coming year. I hope the guy stays on the hardwood and shows some skills. If he can push some people around, rebound, screen, and play defense for 7-8 min a game, we may be OK here. But we'll have to see.

Nice! We got our center depth piece.

I just watched an interview, and it looks like he started his career at Idaho playing hoops (two years), then transferred to Washington St. to focus on football. Last year the W. St. basketball team had injury issues, and he stepped in to provide practice depth.

One of his teammates commented, "We knew he was big, but we were all surprised how good he actually was."

At 6'11" and 340 lbs, Jack should definitely be able to play a few minutes in the big ten, grab a rebound or two, and not be pushed around.

We really needed a bruiser #5, with Garcia being more finesse and Payne slightly undersized. Mission accomplished.

IF this is as a scholarship player it's an absolute joke. Downgrading from Treyton Thompson was quite a task, but Ben might have managed to do it. Remember when people claimed he was a "good" recruiter, some even claimed "great"? If 4 of the 13 scholarships go to Ramberg, Wilson, and two guys coming off double serious knee injuries...I don't want to hear a single word all year about an injury or illness or any nonsense claiming "bad luck".

IF this is as a scholarship player it's an absolute joke. Downgrading from Treyton Thompson was quite a task, but Ben might have managed to do it. Remember when people claimed he was a "good" recruiter, some even claimed "great"? If 4 of the 13 scholarships go to Ramberg, Wilson, and two guys coming off double serious knee injuries...I don't want to hear a single word all year about an injury or illness or any nonsense claiming "bad luck".
Afraid I agree He has done nothing to indicate he can even be a marginal Big Ten player. Has this program suck this low? Apparently 👎

Nice! We got our center depth piece.

I just watched an interview, and it looks like he started his career at Idaho playing hoops (two years), then transferred to Washington St. to focus on football. Last year the W. St. basketball team had injury issues, and he stepped in to provide practice depth.

One of his teammates commented, "We knew he was big, but we were all surprised how good he actually was."

At 6'11" and 340 lbs, Jack should definitely be able to play a few minutes in the big ten, grab a rebound or two, and not be pushed around.

We really needed a bruiser #5, with Garcia being more finesse and Payne slightly undersized. Mission accomplished.
I REALLY hope this is sarcasm. This is Jack Wilson: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jack-wilson-1.html

Last year he was an emergency walk on to Washington State, who obviously didn't offer him a scholarship. This is Danny Ogele levels of incompetence in putting together a roster.

How does this stack up against Daniels/Ogele?

I REALLY hope this is sarcasm. This is Jack Wilson: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jack-wilson-1.html

Last year he was an emergency walk on to Washington State, who obviously didn't offer him a scholarship. This is Danny Ogele levels of incompetence in putting together a roster.
I bet it's SUPER easy to recruit someone to play 4-8 minutes a game, but only if the three guys in front of him are in foul trouble.

We have five scholarships. Relax. We only ever needed depth at the #5 to eat up some fouls and grab a rebound.

What I want Jack Wilson to do:
- bang with Payne in practice. I felt he sometimes struggled to get his shot off against the taller/more physical guys
- give us 5 really hard fouls against Edey
- be a positive locker room presence, as a 6th year guy who wants to be a strength/conditioning coach
- give us 5-10 minutes in a pinch if Payne is in foul trouble

What I don't want Wilson to do:
- ever need to see the floor for more than 5-10 minutes as spot duty

three coaches couldn't get him to perform. left Oregon State after 7 games his freshman year.

Wait until you see him play before you jump to conclusion

- bang with Payne in practice. I felt he sometimes struggled to get his shot off against the taller/more physical guys
- be a positive locker room presence, as a 6th year guy who wants to be a strength/conditioning coach

Spot on!

To add in case people didn't know -- he was originally a 4 star recruit out of HS and went to Oregon State.

Transferred to Idaho before the spring semester of his freshman year. Played the 2nd half of his sophomore year, and 4 games of his junior year. Not sure why he quit.

Then after playing football at WSU for a couple years he walked on and had a limited role when he joined the team in December. Remember how limited Bryant Allen was for us when he joined after FB? His stats don’t concern me. He is not going to play any kind of major role on the floor. I prefer this to burning the scholarship.

I actually think this guy is a better fit for a back up big than Thompson. He should be able to body up a guy like Edey. Thompsons problem was that he wasn’t strong enough to defend in the paint and wasn’t quick enough to defend the perimeter.

I bet it's SUPER easy to recruit someone to play 4-8 minutes a game, but only if the three guys in front of him are in foul trouble.

We have five scholarships. Relax. We only ever needed depth at the #5 to eat up some fouls and grab a rebound.
The Gophers were a bad mid major team last season. It was the worst season in program history and one of the worst seasons by any Big Ten team (Rutgers, Northwestern, etc included) since 2000. This team was near the bottom of all of division 1 in rebounding margin last season. Payne is extremely foul prone and behind him is either a former DII player who hasn't played for 2 full seasons because of serious knee injuries and has never played DI basketball in Fox OR this guy who has been walking on the football team, then the basketball team at Washington State. If this guy is playing 4-8 minutes a game it's a problem. He played at least 8 minutes in a game once all season. Years ago the Gophers brought an OLineman over from the football team because of injuries (might have been Matt Anderle). This is that type of situation, and now Minnesota is giving him a scholarship.

If you squint REALLY hard, we've got 3 guys capable of starting in the Big Ten right now and that includes Mitchell who was the starting PG on a team that was worse than the Gophers last year. Ben Johnson needs to be hitting absolute homeruns in the portal and he's not even making contact here.

Top Bottom