Jack Wilson commits

just noting that CBJ's plan A was Evans. not a back of the bench recruit for the gophers. hard to swallow a really good CBJ plan A going south, then this
The easy answer is that these are two totally different plans. Evans was a building block, future play. A guy who might have been somewhat limited in year 1 but has tremendous upside for the future. When he backed out the team was forced to pivot.

Enter a guy like Wilson who may have very limited upside but is here for just one year and can fill a very specific roll.

All 5 open scholarships were never going to go to players likely to see significant minutes because we already had 7 returning players and 1 incoming freshman before the transfer season even started.

Add Mitchell, plus at least one more high usage guard and maybe a wing and you now have 10-11 players likely to see regular minutes in the rotation.

The hand wringing over the use of the 12th or 13th scholarship on the roster is pretty impressive. Heck it is even being complained about in other threads.
Continue to rationalize everything regarding cbj and the gophers. Complaining is, in fact, not complaining. Simply stating facts that you won't acknowledge. Rah!!

Continue to rationalize everything regarding cbj and the gophers. Complaining is, in fact, not complaining. Simply stating facts that you won't acknowledge. Rah!!
Enlighten me as to what facts I won’t acknowledge.

lol....has been that way for quite a while. Thankfully the football board is much more fun to visit, helps balance out the negativity of this crowd.
This is true. Hard to stomach some days. V

Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept of irony. This comment, "All 5 open scholarships were never going to go to players likely to see significant minutes because we already had 7 returning players and 1 incoming freshman before the transfer season even started," seems quite reasonable, and I think most basketball observers would agree that it's a fact. Does anyone really believe we were going to be able to get more than a few players who were going to play significant minutes?

And yet you say it's "rationalizing", and your "facts" haven't been acknowledged in the past. I'm quite sure this won't change your mind, but if you have any interest you can Google "irony" and get a better understanding of what it means.

Perhaps you're not familiar with the concept of irony. This comment, "All 5 open scholarships were never going to go to players likely to see significant minutes because we already had 7 returning players and 1 incoming freshman before the transfer season even started," seems quite reasonable, and I think most basketball observers would agree that it's a fact. Does anyone really believe we were going to be able to get more than a few players who were going to play significant minutes?

And yet you say it's "rationalizing", and your "facts" haven't been acknowledged in the past. I'm quite sure this won't change your mind, but if you have any interest you can Google "irony" and get a better understanding of what it means.
Respectfully, the combination of Cooper (91% of minutes), Battle (77%), Henley (52%), Samuels (38%), and Thompson (18%) equals over half of the available PT to replace (54% to be exact). 3 returners make up 80% of the remaining 46% of minutes. Therefore, the idea that the other 4 returning players and 1 frosh would make up for that loss doesn’t seem all that reasonable to me…Especially considering this group was actually terrible. Upgrades are sorely needed.

Respectfully, the combination of Cooper (91% of minutes), Battle (77%), Henley (52%), Samuels (38%), and Thompson (18%) equals over half of the available PT to replace (54% to be exact). 3 returners make up 80% of the remaining 46% of minutes. Therefore, the idea that the other 4 returning players and 1 frosh would make up for that loss doesn’t seem all that reasonable to me…Especially considering this group was actually terrible. Upgrades are sorely needed.
I will argue that Carrington and Christie can replace all or most of Henley's minutes without much loss or probably an improvement.

Mitchell is an unknown to me but I was not enamored by Cooper so I don't see a big loss there .

Samuels and Thompson nothing needs to be said.

The loss of Battle will hurt but getting the injured players back and Betts hopefully will more than cover that.

Lol. You should maybe look up the definition of irony yourself. What you're describing would be, as presented, a failure of logic.

Here's an example of irony: let's say someone were to lecture another on the meaning of "irony," while clearly not understanding the meaning themself.

This particular poster does, indeed, rationalize nearly everything. Just does. If you can't see it and acknowledge it, just wow.
What matters is winning. I know you haven't witnessed much of it at Mn for quite some time, so I can understand your confusion. Perhaps you are of the opinion the current roster plus portals and freshmen will carry the team to much more winning. We saw lots of freshmen minutes this season. The only positive from that was experience. Which is a huge positive. Now let's count on more freshmen and two coming off major injuries. Guess the proof will come.

You haven't factored Mitchell into that equation and the staff is clearly pursing more guards.

I understand why it is hard for people to put a lot of faith in Betts, Fox, and Ihnen but I also think the complete lack of faith some have towards those 3 is pretty sad.

The reality for next year is that we have 4 returning players that we know will be key parts of the rotation in Garcia, Payne, Carrington and JOJ. Then we have 3 more returning players who very likely will be key parts of the rotation in Betts, Fox, and Ihnen. We have 1 transfer already in Mitchell and at least one more likely guard addition and maybe 2. So even before you get to Christie there are 8-9 likely players already in the mix for playing time.

All that is why I don't understand the freaking out about Wilson. He is a back of the rotation piece who is unlikely to be called on to do much of anything at all as long as the guys in front of him are healthy.

This particular poster does, indeed, rationalize nearly everything. Just does. If you can't see it and acknowledge it, just wow.
If by rationalize you mean able to understand why the coaches are making some of the decisions they are, then I guess you might be right.

Still waiting for you to provide any examples of facts I won't acknowledge about Gopher Basketball.

But hey.....I get it....some of you can't handle people who aren't willing to dwell on the negative and who choose to try and find the positives and hope for the best in year 3.

You haven't factored Mitchell into that equation and the staff is clearly pursing more guards.

I understand why it is hard for people to put a lot of faith in Betts, Fox, and Ihnen but I also think the complete lack of faith some have towards those 3 is pretty sad.

The reality for next year is that we have 4 returning players that we know will be key parts of the rotation in Garcia, Payne, Carrington and JOJ. Then we have 3 more returning players who very likely will be key parts of the rotation in Betts, Fox, and Ihnen. We have 1 transfer already in Mitchell and at least one more likely guard addition and maybe 2. So even before you get to Christie there are 8-9 likely players already in the mix for playing time.

All that is why I don't understand the freaking out about Wilson. He is a back of the rotation piece who is unlikely to be called on to do much of anything at all as long as the guys in front of him are healthy.
Get a developmental guy and find an intramural stiff who can bully people in practice. This program looks as though it will remain in the toilet bc of a buyout.

Last edited:

See above for rationalization.

If by rationalize you mean able to understand why the coaches are making some of the decisions they are, then I guess you might be right.

Still waiting for you to provide any examples of facts I won't acknowledge about Gopher Basketball.

But hey.....I get it....some of you can't handle people who aren't willing to dwell on the negative and who choose to try and find the positives and hope for the best in year 3.
And you can't grasp the reality that is and has been gopher bb for the majority of 3 plus decades.

We are relying on a core group(JOJ, Payne, Garcia, Carrington) that produced the worst season of my life. And that core lost two significant pieces. I'm hoping Mitchell is better than Cooper to mitigate that loss. If we are starting Betts/Carrington in place of Battle, that is a downgrade. Ihnen and Fox have been hurt two years in a row and Ihnen wasn't that great when he played. So right now, we're rolling with 5 known quantities(maybe 4 depending on how Carrington is viewed), 4 of which produced one of the worst Gopher seasons ever.

We should be bringing in guys to COMPETE with Payne, JOJ, Carrington, instead of acquiescing to them. They haven't proven anything other than they can be somewhat productive on an atrocious team. Which always brings me back to, someone has to score/rebound on a shitty team.

I'm hopeful this core makes a jump, if not Johnson is gone because he didn't do enough this portal cycle(maybe that changes in the weeks ahead).

We are relying on a core group(JOJ, Payne, Garcia, Carrington) that produced the worst season of my life. And that core lost two significant pieces. I'm hoping Mitchell is better than Cooper to mitigate that loss. If we are starting Betts/Carrington in place of Battle, that is a downgrade. Ihnen and Fox have been hurt two years in a row and Ihnen wasn't that great when he played. So right now, we're rolling with 5 known quantities(maybe 4 depending on how Carrington is viewed), 4 of which produced one of the worst Gopher seasons ever.

We should be bringing in guys to COMPETE with Payne, JOJ, Carrington, instead of acquiescing to them. They haven't proven anything other than they can be somewhat productive on an atrocious team. Which always brings me back to, someone has to score/rebound on a shitty team.

I'm hopeful this core makes a jump, if not Johnson is gone because he didn't do enough this portal cycle(maybe that changes in the weeks ahead).
So is it your contention that Johnson would deliberately not try to get better transfer players out of deference to the core group coming back next year?

Just an fyi for Mnvcguy. This is reality, not rationalization.

So is it your contention that Johnson would deliberately not try to get better transfer players out of deference to the core group coming back next year?

I'm not saying he did or didn't. I'm saying, we were as shitty as could be last year. Garcia would be the ONLY player I'd defer too. With bringing in Wilson, he did nothing to upgrade the roster. I hope Betts, Ihnen and Fox can play, but we've seen what happens when you have to rely on FR and injured people.

7’ 300+ lbs

His screens could make the sports center Top Ten!

Top Bottom