Jack Wilson commits

Should we start a Gofundme in addition to his scholarship?

The chances of Johnson being able to recruit high quality guards and also a high quality "5" were almost nonexistent. Is it possible that he and his staff have spent most of their time seeking quality guards and feel like their best chance to improve the team is to focus most of their energy on guards in the portal? They got a guy who can possibly play a minor role as a backup center. I don't think they were going to do much better than that.

If they can get at least one more quality guard this team is going to have some depth and talent for the first time since Johnson has been here. Not top of the Big Ten talent yet, but a big improvement over the past 2 years, and that needs to happen. Let's try to keep things in perspective here folks, we were never going to get Hunter Dickinson. Take a deep breath.
Any chance Tre Holloman rethinks his commitment to Mich State? He’s not going to start and that’s without counting the Spartans 5 star guard .

I don't think offensive stats had anything to do with this signing. I believe the major issue is/was, that TT trying to defend in the post was pretty much a hot knife cutting though warm butter. In other words, zero resistance. Everybody knows he can't defend a post at a B-10 level at all.

We don't really know if Wilson will be able to defend the post either. But apparently the coaches believe that in certain situations, for a short periods of time, he will be more like a cold knife through cold butter in terms of post defense. Possibly SOME resistance as opposed to the ZERO resistance we were getting with the other guy. Guess we will just have to wait until the specific 2-3 minnute match-ups he was brought in for actually happen to see if it's an improvement or not.
Lol.

Ben recruits a guy for specific 2-3 minute matchups. Hes getting a other 41 minutes?

You've helped perpetuate the length arguing that a cellar dweller should give the equivalent of a student practice body a scholarship. This is essentially an inarguable topic you insist on inserting some asinine response into.
All 5 open scholarships were never going to go to players likely to see significant minutes because we already had 7 returning players and 1 incoming freshman before the transfer season even started.

Add Mitchell, plus at least one more high usage guard and maybe a wing and you now have 10-11 players likely to see regular minutes in the rotation.

The hand wringing over the use of the 12th or 13th scholarship on the roster is pretty impressive. Heck it is even being complained about in other threads.

What was your favorite thing about TT's game?
The two games he played the most in his two years we beat NCAA bound Rutgers and nearly beat NCAA bound Indiana. He wasn't great but he also wasn't nearly as bad as some people like to pretend. Clearly he didn't fit Ben's "system" whatever that is.

I’d heard all four pts were game winners.
Both baskets against Cal in different games. Clearly they did something to tick him off. And he seems like the type you don't want to make angry.

We need Garcia’s minutes at the 4. We lose less spelling Payne with Wilson than moving Garcia to the 5.

Several. Which makes panic buying an 8 track of Jim Neighbors Christmas album at the car wash an odd choice.

What an oddly specific artist - man your childhood must have been interesting, Jim Jr. Intentionally misspelling the last name doesn’t fool anyone 😉

Your namesake had a great set of pipes and no one could pull off a lime green cardigan that well either-

All 5 open scholarships were never going to go to players likely to see significant minutes because we already had 7 returning players and 1 incoming freshman before the transfer season even started.
just noting that CBJ's plan A was Evans. not a back of the bench recruit for the gophers. hard to swallow a really good CBJ plan A going south, then this

Any chance Tre Holloman rethinks his commitment to Mich State? He’s not going to start and that’s without counting the Spartans 5 star guard .
That's something a lot of people have been talking, about, I won't pretend to know enough about how he's thinking about it. I agree he probably won't play much more if he stays there, and I hope we'd take him in a heartbeat if he entered the portal. Johnson does have a relationship with him. Not huge firepower on offense, but he can distribute and he plays defense.

He and one more guard who can penetrate, shoot, and play some defense would round things out on this team very nicely. It might even miraculously make Johnson a better coach.

That's something a lot of people have been talking, about, I won't pretend to know enough about how he's thinking about it. I agree he probably won't play much more if he stays there, and I hope we'd take him in a heartbeat if he entered the portal. Johnson does have a relationship with him. Not huge firepower on offense, but he can distribute and he plays defense.

He and one more guard who can penetrate, shoot, and play some defense would round things out on this team very nicely. It might even miraculously make Johnson a better coach.

Hey @Spaulding!No! Any word on whether or not Ben and Tre remain close?

Add Mitchell, plus at least one more high usage guard and maybe a wing and you now have 10-11 players likely to see regular minutes in the rotation.

The hand wringing over the use of the 12th or 13th scholarship on the roster is pretty impressive. Heck it is even being complained about in other threads.
Cut to mid year when a guy is hurt and you say "ohh poor Ben, hes just got the worst luck! " or ya know maybe don't try to waste 3 scholarships a year on guys who are mid grade D2 players

Practicing against a big sloth like Wilson isn’t going to help Payne stay out of foul trouble when he has to guard talented bigs with offensive skills in real games. This smells worse than Danny Ogele or Charlie Daniels and may be the new recruiting low for

Which will save me from going absolutely insane when Ben decides to use Ola-Joseph on him. Perhaps the most outlandish coaching move I can recall. Yeah, let’s put a guy on Edey about a foot smaller than him. That ought to really

I don't think offensive stats had anything to do with this signing. I believe the major issue is/was, that TT trying to defend in the post was pretty much a hot knife cutting though warm butter. In other words, zero resistance. Everybody knows he can't defend a post at a B-10 level at all.

We don't really know if Wilson will be able to defend the post either. But apparently the coaches believe that in certain situations, for a short periods of time, he will be more like a cold knife through cold butter in terms of post defense. Possibly SOME resistance as opposed to the ZERO resistance we were getting with the other guy. Guess we will just have to wait until the specific 2-3 minnute match-ups he was brought in for actually happen to see if it's an improvement or not.
Im pretty sure we didnt sign him to score points.

What an oddly specific artist - man your childhood must have been interesting, Jim Jr. Intentionally misspelling the last name doesn’t fool anyone 😉

Your namesake had a great set of pipes and no one could pull off a lime green cardigan that well either-

I didn't know if it was a real thing. Thanks for confirming.

Cut to mid year when a guy is hurt and you say "ohh poor Ben, hes just got the worst luck! " or ya know maybe don't try to waste 3 scholarships a year on guys who are mid grade D2 players
In fairness, back to back years with 2 season ending injuries before the year even starts is incredibly bad luck.

And I have been very consistent with saying another bad year almost certainly gets Johnson fired.

Top Bottom