Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

This whole we need a center thing, really depends on what Ben's goals are for this coming season.

Does he want to be competitive or does he want to build a system.

Ok, so the shortest center is at Ohio State. He's 6'7, like Mitchell, but he's also 240, so we'll say 230. That's a big boy.

We'll need mitchell to take some steroids before the seasons starts and start doing some squats
Why people obsess over how tall someone is when the reach is what matters. Baylor had two guys that had 7'2 wingspans, got off the floor quickly and a quick 2nd jump. quick reaction time.

Yes, if you have a team with some of the best talent in the country. That team was the Fab Five before the Fab Five, they had three guys who went to the NBA. So if you think that next years team has three NBA players then you proved that you don't need a center to win. That does not prove that a team of low-mid majors can win without a center in the B1G.
You didn’t read mine close enough, I qualified it by saying we don’t have that kind of talent. My point was that you don’t always need a 7 ft guy in the middle. Plenty of teams do it and have done it before. You guys are so pessimistic it’s ridiculous. Show some patience, he’s just getting started.

You didn’t read mine close enough, I qualified it by saying we don’t have that kind of talent. My point was that you don’t always need a 7 ft guy in the middle. Plenty of teams do it and have done it before. You guys are so pessimistic it’s ridiculous. Show some patience, he’s just getting started.
Hey! Can we keep this thread on the subject of who's in the portal?! Not directed at anyone in particular... just taking some space here to poke fun at myself for my now deleted side conversation on how fans impact recruiting on the All Things Class of 2022 thread!

Minnesota does not even have enough rostered players to have a proper scrimmage, meaning with so many college teams including some mid-majors already have filled their rosters with the more skilled & highly rated players from the transfer portal while depleting the realistic talent...my question...Since Minnesota is still is not even close to a practical number of players rostered, mostly including front court players....Whom are they targeting in the transfer portal other than Steffen Mitchell who is still interested in a few other colleges ? I have checked available media on several remaining frontcourt players of any worthy value, none list Minnesota in their final college interest or had been offered. ..Why... , As it appears Minnesota coaching staff seems to be unable to find or fill their roster with serviceable recruits while offering a wide open opportunity to start in a major conference. The transfer portal has never in its short history been filled with so many players because of the exempt year caused with the pandemic....

Have we talked about this yet? We were on his radar last year before he decided to go to Georgia. Not really a position of need but he has decent size for a guard. Don't think he handles the ball much.

San Diego State, Utah, and Minnesota the final options for Steffon Mitchell​

Minnesota Golden Gophers​

A coaching change has completely changed the roster, with up to six available scholarships at the moment. Starting forward Brandon Johnson recently leaving opens up a clear spot for Mitchell to start in the frontcourt and receive plenty of minutes. The other current forwards on the roster include former D-II star Parker Fox, GW transfer Jamison Battle and incoming three-star center Treyton Thompson.

The Gophers did add a few other transfer guards as well but at this moment, they have the worst roster in the Big Ten. But Mitchell is used to playing for a bottom-tier power conference program. What they do offer is the chance for him to have a larger role in an offense than he ever had, helping his pro stock. If Mitchell can become a double-double scorer while still being solid everywhere else, he’ll be able to make good money at the next level.

San Diego State Aztecs​

The Aztecs have been very busy in the portal, landing four different players. The most notable was All-Pac 12 guard Matt Bradley but the team also landed Portland forward Tahirou Diabate and Duquesne stretch forward Chad Baker. TCU big Jaedon LeDee is also part of the roster now.

San Diego State is coming off another trip to the NCAA Tournament and has the best odds of all three teams of doing so again in 2022. But assuming that starting center Nathan Mensah is indeed coming back, that makes it a tough fit personnel-wise. Mitchell can play at the power forward but is a career 27% three-point shooting. The lack of spacing would be harmful for their offense since Mensah doesn’t shoot at all.

Utah Utes​

Another program undergoing a roster overhaul, the Utes have landed several transfer guards, most notably, Marco Anthony and David Jenkins Jr. They lost a couple of players in the frontcourt but have retained 7’0 center Branden Carlson and 6’9 forward Riley Battin. The duo started a combined 31 games last season in the frontcourt but things could look very different with former Utah State head coach Craig Smith.

Mitchell would give Coach Smith a defensive-minded big man that he was used to with Neemias Queta with the Aggies. There would be some fit issues offensively here as well but it’s more important to have a capable frontcourt player to add to the depth for Utah to have a chance in the Pac-12 next season.

Minnesota does not even have enough rostered players to have a proper scrimmage, meaning with so many college teams including some mid-majors already have filled their rosters with the more skilled & highly rated players from the transfer portal while depleting the realistic talent...my question...Since Minnesota is still is not even close to a practical number of players rostered, mostly including front court players....Whom are they targeting in the transfer portal other than Steffen Mitchell who is still interested in a few other colleges ? I have checked available media on several remaining frontcourt players of any worthy value, none list Minnesota in their final college interest or had been offered. ..Why... , As it appears Minnesota coaching staff seems to be unable to find or fill their roster with serviceable recruits while offering a wide open opportunity to start in a major conference. The transfer portal has never in its short history been filled with so many players because of the exempt year caused with the pandemic....
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in interest and offer lists for players in the portal. I think a lot of that is just guessing on the part of places like 247 unless a player just flat out comes out with a list of schools which many won't.

Part of the slow down in roster additions right now might have something to do with guys that have declared for the draft but didn't hire agents. Once the draft happens there are a number of players that are going to have to decide between going back to college or heading to the G League.

I feel confident in saying that by the time it is all said and done we will have a full roster for the 21-22 season.

And many are testing NBA draft waters and they aren't done entering it either. I get being a little skeptical, but there is still time to fill the roster and there will still be some good players that will be there for the taking. We have to exercise more patience in roster construction this year moreso than others.

I wouldn't put a ton of stock in interest and offer lists for players in the portal. I think a lot of that is just guessing on the part of places like 247 unless a player just flat out comes out with a list of schools which many won't.

Part of the slow down in roster additions right now might have something to do with guys that have declared for the draft but didn't hire agents. Once the draft happens there are a number of players that are going to have to decide between going back to college or heading to the G League.

I feel confident in saying that by the time it is all said and done we will have a full roster for the 21-22 season.

We'll have a full roster by mid June. to your point, yes, the draft is something a lot of players are looking into.

Relax. Breathe. It will be ok. We will have enough players on our roster for an occasional scrimmage.

As expected Isaiah Ihnen will be our only returning player

As expected Isaiah Ihnen will be our only returning player
Unreal. This transfer portal thing is a mess and eventually threatens to ruin college buckets. What is this for us- 9 transfers out? Do we lead the nation?

This confirms it, im going back to school next fall! They are going to need 3 guys to practice 5v5, I can hit 20% of my threes, it will be just like practice with last year's team! 😀

Seriously though, buckle up folks, it's going to be ROUGH next year. I understand people saying it's a rebuild and be patient but I just hate the thought of being that terrible next year. We had some momentum early with BJ but thats gone south in a hurry

The fact that Both never announced he would be coming back should have been a red flag, I guess. The concern is that it’s now middle of May and summer workouts are in about a month and they have 8 players on the roster, with one rumored to have a knee injury (Fox). The quality of players left in the portal to fill a Big Ten roster is less than desirable with only one name being discussed (Mitchell). I don’t know if they have the luxury to be as patient as they have been, but I also understand he is trying to build a program how he wants it and isn’t just taking guys to fill the roster. That’s probably the fan in me talking and being impatient and worried for the 2021-2022 season. I’m all in on Ben, but a brutal start to his tenure.

I am going out on a limb and say I bet he goes to St. Thomas.
No way. He could have stayed and been a starter or at least played major minutes. He's not dropping down that far.

I now sincerely think Curry will end up on scholarship and playing double digit minutes this year.
Might be a possibility, especially with Willis back on the team.

Minnesota's roster at present is down to 8-players with 5 playing a similar position combo guard/small forward and not one is considered consensus 4-star player... I'm confused why players like Gach, Johnson, Mitchell to name a few would leave Minnesota where they likely in 2021-2022 gain opportunity to showcase their talent with extensive playing minutes because of numerous defections from last years roster...The uncertain drawback joining a new team could involve less playing time or even merely a bench fill-in....

Last edited:

Minnesota's roster at present is down to 7-players with 5 playing a similar position combo guard/small forward and not one is considered consensus 4-star player..
We were at 9, who else is leaving?

Gach transferring to another NCAA program makes very little sense to me. If he wanted to have the opportunity to showcase himself to NBA scouts with all the opportunity to be The Guy, he has it here. If the NBA is no longer the goal, why not go get paid in Europe next year?

That's weird. I thought both he and Ihen (sp) said they were staying??? That's not the exact article i remember reading, but I thought someone quoted both Ihnen and Gach that they were sticking around. Man.

With two players expected back (Isaiah Ihnen and Both Gach) and one incoming signed recruit (Treyton Thompson), Minnesota has nine players on the roster and four remaining open spots.

We were at 9, who else is leaving?

I don't know, but this is WEIRD. What is going on inside the program? This is unprecedented. BJ was quoted as saying he would love to keep Both around.

I don't know how this doesn't raise some concern even amongst the most staunch supporters of Ben.

– Minnesota made a coaching move from Richard Pitino to Ben Johnson and as a result, lost a ton of players to the transfer portal. Johnson has added several transfers, but none of them are from the high major level and as of today, he’s only returning two players with Big Ten experience in Isaiah Ihnen and Both Gach. If several of Minnesota’s transfers aren’t impact pieces, it could be a rough first season for Johnson in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom