Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

cjbfbp

Reaction score
Jamir Harris

Had a pretty good season (albeit short - 10 games) with American: 20.6 PER, .633 True Shooting Percentage, .472 on threes.

Does anyone know of a player who transferred from a school and transferred back to the same school later? He's listed as a grad transfer.

Jarvis Omersa first appeared today.

5 players from Penn State entered today!

511 players listed as of now and we still have two weeks left in March.

2021 D1 transfers

Jamir Harris

Had a pretty good season (albeit short - 10 games) with American: 20.6 PER, .633 True Shooting Percentage, .472 on threes.

Does anyone know of a player who transferred from a school and transferred back to the same school later? He's listed as a grad transfer.

2021 D1 transfers
It's getting close to point where you wonder where a Power 5 head coach will focus more of their recruiting time, prep or xfer portal.

Jamir Harris

2021 D1 transfers
Mo Hargrow?

It's getting close to point where you wonder where a Power 5 head coach will focus more of their recruiting time, prep or xfer portal.

I clearly would go with a mix of both. We may have been disappointing this year but we would have been a hell of a lot worse if we had three additional typical freshman instead of those three new transfers.

Jamir Harris

2021 D1 transfers
Didn’t Matz Stockman have another school lined up but then return to the Gophers for his final season?

Need to keep:
Gabe
Robbins
Williams
Mash
Mitchell
Ihnen

Then bring i what the new staff can add. Not old Pitino recruits.
I don't see more than half of this group staying. Plus new staff will likely urge one or two to leave as well.

Need to keep:
Gabe
Robbins
Williams
Mash
Mitchell
Ihnen

I'd like to see what Freeman can do in a backup role where he actually plays regularly. He has great size and seemed to show some promise on D and rebounding this year. Plus, he is only a redshirt freshman again next year

Didn’t Matz Stockman have another school lined up but then return to the Gophers for his final season?

He did enter the portal. I don't know if he had another school lined up (I certainly think he could have because he was a fine grab for a one-year grad transfer). He didn't actually transfer and come back though.

I'd like to see what Freeman can do in a backup role where he actually plays regularly. He has great size and seemed to show some promise on D and rebounding this year. Plus, he is only a redshirt freshman again next year
He didn't redshirt last season, with the retained eligibility he will be a redshirt sophmore or true junior next season

Need to keep:
Gabe
Robbins
Williams
Mash
Mitchell
Ihnen

I would take Jamir Harris in a heart beat as a grad transfer.

Came to the Gophers from Highland Park in St. Paul as a freshman. Ended up transferring to Arkansas, but only stayed for his sit-out year and then came back to the Gophers and finished his career with the U

I looked him up on Sports Reference. He is listed as playing 4 consecutive years here. So, did he come here as a freshman, transfer quickly without playing at all, then transfer back here within a one year period, and play here as a redshirt freshman?

Mo played when I was in school, he was in my micro econ class. I'm pretty sure he was at Arkansas for a year but never played. Arkansas played full court defense all game or something exhausting like that.

Maybe I'm just showing my mid-30s age but I just despise the amount of transfers there are each year.

Well, I'm in my mid-sixties and I love it! It's about time that student athletes are allowed to move to another place without restrictions, at least for once in their careers.

He did enter the portal. I don't know if he had another school lined up (I certainly think he could have because he was a fine grab for a one-year grad transfer). He didn't actually transfer and come back though.
Had an agreement with Cal but apparently there were issues getting him admitted as a grad transfer. Denied admission and Crandall making us look like buffoons, we had an open scholarship and he returned. Should have played more.

Penn State currently is up to 7 players transferring.
Wow. Maybe trying to get a jump on the rest of the pack. Will Micah re recruit them? I suppose this is a reason you want to the hire done fast. Give incoming coach a chance to keep current players he wants.

I looked him up on Sports Reference. He is listed as playing 4 consecutive years here. So, did he come here as a freshman, transfer quickly without playing at all, then transfer back here within a one year period, and play here as a redshirt freshman?
It was a mess, during the nadir of the Monson years. I'm going on dusty memories here, but he left midway through the season or right at the end (might have been injured?) as he was dissatisfied with his role (this was the year Kris Humphries was here). He transferred to Arkansas, enrolled in classes, but then returned and NCAA didn't take away any eligibility. He came back just as Ben Johnson and Adam Boone transferred in-it was the height of Minnesota preps returning home after choosing other programs. (anyone who thinks the Pitino years were a mess has a sketchy memory when compared to Monson).

In one of my most wildly hyperbolic and mistaken statements, I posed the thought that Boone, Johnson and Hargrow could be the Gophers version of the Illini's three headed monster of Deron Williams, Dee Brown, and Luther Head. I've shied away from predictions ever since.

In one of my most wildly hyperbolic and mistaken statements, I posed the thought that Boone, Johnson and Hargrow could be the Gophers version of the Illini's three headed monster of Deron Williams, Dee Brown, and Luther Head. I've shied away from predictions ever since.
Funny! Thanks for the rundown. I was new to the state in those years and not paying much attention. After reading your description, I'm glad. Pitino's tenure was frustrating enough for me. I wouldn't have wanted to do this twice during my time here.

I was wrong about what I said before about Hargrow's playing time according to Sports Reference. It shows that he played only 17 games in the 2003-04 season, didn't play at all in the 2004-05 season, then played a full year here in the 2005-06 season. So his transfer year must have been 2004-05. He didn't look like too bad of a player from his stats (not great either though).

What exactly is going on there? Why the exodus?

Don't know but here are my guesses:

1) it was a group effort agreed upon by a significant number of players; AND
2) they liked the acting coach and wanted him to stay; OR more likely
3) they wanted to go somewhere where they could experience success and the tournament at least for a year.

The one year they were good enough to make the tournament at PSU, it was cancelled.

What exactly is going on there? Why the exodus?
I wouldn't assume it's an exodus ... the player landscape has changed a lot in college basketball ... with a Coaching change, it's an opportunity for the player to be "re-recruited" ... why not have the new coach convince you to stay and at the same time, see what other schools are offering.

It's pretty clear that kids pick schools based on the coach. The new portal and transfer rules give them the power to make sure they want to play for the new coach.

Top Bottom