Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

I wish otherwise, but rolling the dice with almost all mid-major players who never played a second together in a game, while having a undersized or near non-existent frontcourt in the Big Ten, my opinion, it defines the word a team bound to "implode" or a chance going winless in the physically powerful & talented Big Ten........!

The odds simply aren't with you. There will be additional front court players added. We won't be the only undersized team in this Big Ten this century and we won't be the lowest this century in talent or ability either. Indiana had terrible teams while they were on probation the first couple of years of Crean's tenure and even they didn't go winless.

The odds simply aren't with you. There will be additional front court players added. We won't be the only undersized team in this Big Ten this century and we won't be the lowest this century in talent or ability either. Indiana had terrible teams while they were on probation the first couple of years of Crean's tenure and even they didn't go winless.

Additional front court players ? Maybe you have not checked the the transfer portal, in a example the center position at present is now down to only 7 unsigned players, only one {Moussa Cisse} considered a 4-star talent, the remaining 6 have shown little on previous teams, and as of today no interest in joining the Gophers ..In regards to high school 2021-2022 unsigned reasonable talent in-state or anywhere else, name one single player leaning in Minnesota's direction as a future Gopher ??????

Additional front court players ? Maybe you have not checked the the transfer portal, in a example the center position at present is now down to only 7 unsigned players, only one {Moussa Cisse} considered a 4-star talent, the remaining 6 have shown little on previous teams, and as of today no interest in joining the Gophers ..In regards to high school 2021-2022 unsigned reasonable talent in-state or anywhere else, name one single player leaning in Minnesota's direction as a future Gopher ??????
Mitchell played Center in the ACC. Having a 7'0 center isn't a need for any team if the team plays defense as a team.

Anyways the Gophers are recruiting a center from Cincinnati and a Center from UNC.

Additional front court players ? Maybe you have not checked the the transfer portal, i

I check the transfer portal all of the time and Johnnyboy18 is correct anyway. We don't have to have an officially designated "center." Plenty of teams play without one.

Mitchell played Center in the ACC. Having a 7'0 center isn't a need for any team if the team plays defense as a team.

Anyways the Gophers are recruiting a center from Cincinnati and a Center from UNC.

Nobody said they have to be 7'0

A forward is not a center. For many reason.

Are there players still entering the portal? I know it is not as frequent as it once was, but we only need one. Well maybe we would need two bigs still.

Hardly think 200lb 6-7 Mitchell is a realistic center in the Big Ten against common frontcourts that average in physical presence about 240-plus lbs and height advantage well over 6-10 or bigger.. Either way, when did we sign Steffen Mitchell ? Last I heard Minnesota was one of 4-teams he had interest in....also....the poster above mentioned a frontcourt player with Cincinnati which likely is PF 6-8 Tari Eason, who already signed with LSU, regarding a unsigned transfer from UNC , I know of none still unsigned, please inform us who you assume has Minnesota interest or even was contacted by our coaching staff....

Hardly think 200lb 6-7 Mitchell is a realistic center in the Big Ten against common frontcourts that average in physical presence about 240-plus lbs and height advantage well over 6-10 or bigger.. Either way, when did we sign Steffen Mitchell ? Last I heard Minnesota was one of 4-teams he had interest in....also....the poster above mentioned a frontcourt player with Cincinnati which likely is PF 6-8 Tari Eason, who already signed with LSU, regarding a unsigned transfer from UNC , I know of none still unsigned, please inform us who you assume has Minnesota interest or even was contacted by our coaching staff....
Take a look back, and I fully understand it was 30 years ago at the Flyin Illini, not one guy listed over 6’8”. You can play without a big man. Yes we don’t have that kind of talent but remember they got to the national semifinals with that team. It can be done with no big man.

Take a look back, and I fully understand it was 30 years ago at the Flyin Illini, not one guy listed over 6’8”. You can play without a big man. Yes we don’t have that kind of talent but remember they got to the national semifinals with that team. It can be done with no big man.
Yes, if you have a team with some of the best talent in the country. That team was the Fab Five before the Fab Five, they had three guys who went to the NBA. So if you think that next years team has three NBA players then you proved that you don't need a center to win. That does not prove that a team of low-mid majors can win without a center in the B1G.

Last edited:

A more recent example is Baylor (I'm not saying Minnesota is Baylor). Their only player over 6'8 that played barely averaged 15 minutes a game.

A more recent example is Baylor (I'm not saying Minnesota is Baylor). Their only player over 6'8 that played barely averaged 15 minutes a game.
I would say the only thing that is being proven is you need a lot of super studs to overcome not having a center.

The teams you named were loaded with 4 & 5 star rated player , very quick and athletic...Last time I looked our roster is mostly 2 or 3 star mid-major players, and likely are best player will be a transfer from D-2...I wish the gophers well but comparing our roster in potential ability to the teams named playing undersized is purely foolish....

The teams you named were loaded with 4 & 5 star rated player , very quick and athletic...Last time I looked our roster is mostly 2 or 3 star mid-major players, and likely are best player will be a transfer from D-2...I wish the gophers well but comparing our roster in potential ability to the teams named playing undersized is purely foolish....
Baylor's second best player was a mid-major transfer and I wasn't comparing them. I simply stated there's plenty of examples out there of teams playing a 6'8 player at center including the Gophers 2 years ago.

Baylor's second best player was a mid-major transfer and I wasn't comparing them. I simply stated there's plenty of examples out there of teams playing a 6'8 player at center including the Gophers 2 years ago.
2018-2019 Gophers had 3-centers.....6-10 225lb Daniel Oturu.....7-0 245lb Matz Stockman and 6-7 250lb Jordan Murphy, who at that weight was a very physical player...the year before our center was Reggie Lynch who was 6-10 and 265 lbs.....Maybe you are confused with another team ?

2018-2019 Gophers had 3-centers.....6-10 225lb Daniel Oturu.....7-0 245lb Matz Stockman and 6-7 250lb Jordan Murphy, who at that weight was a very physical player...the year before our center was Reggie Lynch who was 6-10 and 265 lbs.....Maybe you are confused with another team ?
Was referring to the Gophers in 2019-20. Oturu is 6'8 on a good day.

also, you want a "small forward", per 247, who you say played center for a team that went 2-11 last year. that's dead last.

Makes sense.

What's the qualifications for a Center? And say they get Mitchell who played Center in the ACC why can't he play it in the B1G?

He can play center, hell we can put a 5'11 guy at center if you want, but, tell me what the average size (height/weight) of the top half centers in the B1G are? then we can start talking about qualifications. Unless you don't want the gophers to be a top half team.

He can play center, hell we can put a 5'11 guy at center if you want, but, tell me what the average size (height/weight) of the top half centers in the B1G are? then we can start talking about qualifications. Unless you don't want the gophers to be a top half team.
There's about a 5% chance the team is a top half B1G team next year and you know that. The top 2 centers in the B1G graduated/declared this year not sure who is going to replace them.

Was referring to the Gophers in 2019-20. Oturu is 6'8 on a good day.
he's also 240. He big thing is oturu was a lanky 240. we need some beef in the middle or height. can't have a shorty who's only 200lbs. and as you know they add size on the sites, so he might be 190 for all we know.

There's about a 5% chance the team is a top half B1G team next year and you know that. The top 2 centers in the B1G graduated this year not sure who is going to replace them.

I just don't want us getting pOwned in the middle. So if Mitchell does come here and he's our center, that's gonna be rough.

What's the qualifications for a Center? And say they get Mitchell who played Center in the ACC why can't he play it in the B1G?

Ok, so the shortest center is at Ohio State. He's 6'7, like Mitchell, but he's also 240, so we'll say 230. That's a big boy.

We'll need mitchell to take some steroids before the seasons starts and start doing some squats

I just don't want us getting pOwned in the middle. So if Mitchell does come here and he's our center, that's gonna be rough.
He's played Center in a P6 conference for 4 years he'll be fine IMO. Anyways I don't know if he's even coming here.

It is Classic. So many big talkers start side peddling when they get called on making outlandish statements instead of just admitting that it was a stupid take. You're right, 6'8 is not ideal but it happens.

Because the Big 10 is the best, most physical conference. They dominated in the ncaa tournament.

It is Classic. So many big talkers start side peddling when they get called on making outlandish statements instead of just admitting that it was a stupid take. You're right, 6'8 is not ideal but it happens.
Yeah I don't think it would be a good long term strategy. I also don't think think one year of this for a team that is thrown together in 2 months is going to lead to them going winless.

Bottom line....We all want Minnesota to succeed moving forward, thru the years we seen several kids with star potential leave the state for other programs...With a new coach there is always hope in his ability to recruit the best players in state or any location and of coarse be able to coach-up players.. The only thing I found questionable about our new coach, with a record number of player transfers in the portal this year and several with 4-star tags he should have easily been able to recruit a balanced roster that included a center or even a power forward, positions that are badly needed to be somewhat competitive in the physical Big Ten...

San Diego might be out of the running for Steffon Mitchell as former Duquense forward Chad Baker commits to San Diego State

Top Bottom