Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

I don't know, but this is WEIRD. What is going on inside the program? This is unprecedented. BJ was quoted as saying he would love to keep Both around.

I don't know how this doesn't raise some concern even amongst the most staunch supporters of Ben.

– Minnesota made a coaching move from Richard Pitino to Ben Johnson and as a result, lost a ton of players to the transfer portal. Johnson has added several transfers, but none of them are from the high major level and as of today, he’s only returning two players with Big Ten experience in Isaiah Ihnen and Both Gach. If several of Minnesota’s transfers aren’t impact pieces, it could be a rough first season for Johnson in the Big Ten.
I don't understand why he waited this long or where he's going that's better. It is alarming and anyone who says otherwise is in denial. I'll be happy if we get to 11 scholarship players at this point.

Did Treyton Thompson fully commit to Ben or is his decision still open-ended?

Does Thorson have some ex-players with eligibility he can round up?

Did Treyton Thompson fully commit to Ben or is his decision still open-ended?
I don't know, but the impression I got from Treyton was that he wanted to be a Gopher, period. Not that he can't change his mind but it seemed like staying in state (yes, I know he played for La Lumiere) was pretty important to him.

No way. He could have stayed and been a starter or at least played major minutes. He's not dropping down that far.
I just didn't see anything from last year to indicate he would have even started over the mid major transfers. He shot the 3 well below 30% (20-25%?), looked lost much of the time especially on defense. He has athleticism and the hope I had for him was that RP had mentally scarred most of the team and BJ would build them back up to their potential. This was my hope for Ihnen and Gabe too. So I don't see him going to anything but a mid major at the moment until he shows something more again.

Both also left Utah for Minnesota allegedly because he wanted to be close to home for family related reasons. Now this could have been a ruse, but if not, I would suspect he doesn't go far and I don't see him going to any of the nearby B1G schools. So if not St. Thomas, I would next say one of the South Dakota schools (maybe more likely). I don't see him at any of the Nebraska schools at this point with how last year went for him.

I just didn't see anything from last year to indicate he would have even started over the mid major transfers. He shot the 3 well below 30% (20-25%?), looked lost much of the time especially on defense. He has athleticism and the hope I had for him was that RP had mentally scarred most of the team and BJ would build them back up to their potential. This was my hope for Ihnen and Gabe too. So I don't see him going to anything but a mid major at the moment until he shows something more again.

Both also left Utah for Minnesota allegedly because he wanted to be close to home for family related reasons. Now this could have been a ruse, but if not, I would suspect he doesn't go far and I don't see him going to any of the nearby B1G schools. So if not St. Thomas, I would next say one of the South Dakota schools (maybe more likely). I don't see him at any of the Nebraska schools at this point with how last year went for him.
Iowa State was his other option last year. Reunion with Gabe?

Not much of a shot blocker...went 12 straight games without an assist. Doesn't shoot 3's. 6'9 225 so not that big either. So a very different style big from Steffon Mitchell. Decent rebounder. Obviously playing in the ACC he accumulated his stats against high level competition.

Iowa State was his other option last year. Reunion with Gabe?
Certainly could be I don't know much about their roster other than they are getting some talented transfers/freshman but have no idea beyond that. Since they are getting some talented players I was assuming their roster was too stacked so there wouldn't be room for him but Gabe's presence would make it a natural fit along with Omersa's presence at St. Thomas a natural fit too although I don't have any idea if they were good buddies on the team.

Not much of a shot blocker...went 12 straight games without an assist. Doesn't shoot 3's. 6'9 225 so not that big either. So a very different style big from Steffon Mitchell. Decent rebounder. Obviously playing in the ACC he accumulated his stats against high level competition.
He’s got Kansas, Arkansas and Cincinnati after him too.

I would not get overly excited on the assumption Ody Ogauma has the Gophers listed near the top of college interest....Sunday May 9th in a interview {247-sports} he broke down a capsule review of 3-teams {Arkansas-Cincinnati & Kansas} reasons to transfer to....Minnesota was not mentioned....The clock is ticking and the portal talent is shrinking, with now only 8 Gopher basketball players, mostly combo-guards, I hope Ben Johnson has a plan to fill positions with some form of serviceable talent....

BJ - what a disappointment. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

Next season promises to be an epic shitshow burning in a dumpster fire roaring next to a massive clusterf*ck.

That was on Pitino but also Both played injured.

You need to look at this stats from game one till his injury occurred.

His FG% was bordering on good till the the injury, his 3 point was bordering on decent.

then he got hurt and things started going downhill

Next season promises to be an epic shitshow burning in a dumpster fire roaring next to a massive clusterf*ck.
The expectations will be zero, so I'm not sure about all that. No one will care, which might be worse.

Will the 2,500 in attendance storm the court when we beat Penn State?

We have one possible thing in our favor...Several teams have completed their roster limit, less competition on a decent recruit jumping late in the transfer portal. They would be offered huge minutes in a major conference with plenty of media exposure on the contracted Big Ten Network....

We have one possible thing in our favor...Several teams have completed their roster limit, less competition on a decent recruit jumping late in the transfer portal. They would be offered huge minutes in a major conference with plenty of media exposure on the contracted Big Ten Network....
I suppose. It's a game of musical chairs and we have a lot of chairs.

Crean losing 7 of 8 top scorers.
Maybe we should ask Johnson why Both Gach waited so long to enter the transfer portal. As a guy who is about the same age and also waited, he might have some insight as to the mindset. That's assuming he cares if people in a college basketball forum understand and/or agree with the thought process involved.

Calling all tall timbers! Goldie the Gopher is holding a tryout for tall bodies. All you have to do is stand tall. No experience necessary.

Top Bottom