Hey! Look at who is back in the transfer portal and who else just entered it

Manny Bates from NC St. rumored to be entering the transfer portal. Had a lot of offers from out east and the south. Purdue offered him. Probably out of our league but Xavier did offer and was in the final 7. Not sure if Johnson was in on the recruiting.

Whichever NCAA intern came up with the name "transfer portal" should get a massive massive recommendation letter. We know the NCAA isn't paying any students ;)

I kind of figured we would not be filling the 13 person roster based on where we are at now and comments Ben made in his first press conference. Anxious to see who the two front court players will be.

So...10 scholarship players, one of whom is already injured and 3 walk-ons? That doesn't seem ideal for depth.
As I said on the date of hire.
This is the type of hire than if we are midway into year 3 with a bad record and the recruiting class not strong with MN kids....he doesn’t get 3 full years.

They hired on the cheap because they’re cash strapped. They hired on the cheap because other guys they could get for this money they didn’t see as having huge upside. So at least BJohnson is a MN guy who can check some boxes. Punt 2-4 years while the give the football coach a massive deal. Hopefully he is successful....but if he isn’t they can make a new hire in 2024 or 2025 without the PC police chirping

As I said on the date of hire.
This is the type of hire than if we are midway into year 3 with a bad record and the recruiting class not strong with MN kids....he doesn’t get 3 full years.

They hired on the cheap because they’re cash strapped. They hired on the cheap because other guys they could get for this money they didn’t see as having huge upside. So at least BJohnson is a MN guy who can check some boxes. Punt 2-4 years while the give the football coach a massive deal. Hopefully he is successful....but if he isn’t they can make a new hire in 2024 or 2025 without the PC police chirping
Don't be so sure about that, there are a lot of demographics that need representation in men's college basketball head coaching positions. There are literally no women head coaching men's bball right now!

Why would they not use them? Even if it is giving them to the three walk-ons for the year and having open try outs.

We literally can't give a scholarship away now?
I assumed he mean that they wouldn't be giving multi year players scholarships. I assume that any extra will go to the walk-ons

Don't be so sure about that, there are a lot of demographics that need representation in men's college basketball head coaching positions. There are literally no women head coaching men's bball right now!
Good think Lindsay Whalen is an awful coach so we don’t have to worry

9 now. 8 healthy

I’ll be less negative when we have 10 healthy

Khadim is originally from senegal. played at Oak Hill then played his freshman year at virginia tech, redshirted, one year at a JC then Ole Miss
born in 97, so he's even older than charlie daniels.

Khadim is originally from senegal. played at Oak Hill then played his freshman year at virginia tech, redshirted, one year at a JC then Ole Miss
born in 97, so he's even older than charlie daniels.
He and Daniels can guilt Curry into playing. Who wants to coach guys older than them?

Wait, you mean Coach Johnson isn't just giving up on trying to recruit more players? That is not what many of the great gopher fans on GH are saying.

Good think Lindsay Whalen is an awful coach so we don’t have to worry
Ben will have the same issue as Whalen. However, his players are bolting. Whalen was hired with no head coaching experience and no vision for her team. She had arguably the #1 player from Wisconsin on her team last year as a Freshman (Strande) and did not play her much. Leading scorer in Wisconsin and that girls was crazy good on the AAU circuit. Flat out baller.

Ben will have the same issue as Whalen. However, his players are bolting. Whalen was hired with no head coaching experience and no vision for her team. She had arguably the #1 player from Wisconsin on her team last year as a Freshman (Strande) and did not play her much. Leading scorer in Wisconsin and that girls was crazy good on the AAU circuit. Flat out baller.
Strande appears to need some work on D.

Strande appears to need some work on D.
Disagree. Strande is a good defender. Quick and athletic. Something the Gophers need more of. She wasn't on the floor last season when the starters was getting down by 20 by half or getting blown out by double digits in the 3rd qtr. Head coach has no defense system in place on this team and no accountability for some fav players. Starters turning balls over, looking off open players, shooting 0-9 from field and staying in game. Watch the games and determine for yourself.

I considered starting a new thread, but prob no need. I generally like Fran Fraschilla's takes on things. This bit he shared is interesting on state of recruiting. . .

I think it would be opposite issues.

Lindsay can sell something completely different than Ben.

Lindsay is closer to Howard minus any coaching experience prior to coming here.

Ben is closer to a PJ fleck at Western Michigan minus the 24/7 energy.

Can you coach or not? With Ben, I have no idea, but its a blank slate. With Whalen, the evidence is building that she's not a good college basketball coach. Great player? Absolutely.

Disagree. Strande is a good defender. Quick and athletic. Something the Gophers need more of. She wasn't on the floor last season when the starters was getting down by 20 by half or getting blown out by double digits in the 3rd qtr. Head coach has no defense system in place on this team and no accountability for some fav players. Starters turning balls over, looking off open players, shooting 0-9 from field and staying in game. Watch the games and determine for yourself.
I somehow stumbled into the Whalen axe to grind thread.

Top Bottom