Gophers guard Both Gach is expected to enter the transfer portal

Nobody is expecting titles in 3 years. However, playing very competitive BB year 2 should be expected as well as a lot of wins. Many have done it.
Look at the massive roster overhaul and the recruiting that is out of balance. It is entirely unrealistic to think there should be "lots of wins" in year 2 (2022-23 season). At best we make top 6 by 2023-24.

Nobody is expecting titles in 3 years. However, playing very competitive BB year 2 should be expected as well as a lot of wins. Many have done it.
What's a lot wins? Ben could just fill it with cupcakes and get a lot wins. I agree with being competitive in two years. I think they should play competitive this year, but I believe coaching has more value than many others in college basketball. My high end probably unrealistic goals for gopher basketball this year would be in the top 10 this year in the conference, top 8 in year two, and top 6 in year three. Lets see what Ben and co can do. I'm excited to see something different and see if it works.

What's a lot wins? Ben could just fill it with cupcakes and get a lot wins. I agree with being competitive in two years. I think they should play competitive this year, but I believe coaching has more value than many others in college basketball. My high end probably unrealistic goals for gopher basketball this year would be in the top 10 this year in the conference, top 8 in year two, and top 6 in year three. Lets see what Ben and co can do. I'm excited to see something different and see if it works.

I honestly don't think top 10 is unrealistic. I think the bottom (and middle) of the conference is weaker (Rutgers, Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska, even Wisconsin and Iowa) and I like the guys we have brought in. If we don't get anymore contributing players it could be rough, but I think we will be getting more players who will be making positive contributions. Ben Johnson said something in one of his interviews this week that made me more confident that we will be competitive next season. He said he wants to be competitive sooner rather than later, or something to that effect. I'm excited to see the new players. I'm excited to see who else we add to the roster. I expect them to be way better than most on here expect.

I honestly don't think top 10 is unrealistic. I think the bottom (and middle) of the conference is weaker (Rutgers, Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska, even Wisconsin and Iowa) and I like the guys we have brought in. If we don't get anymore contributing players it could be rough, but I think we will be getting more players who will be making positive contributions. Ben Johnson said something in one of his interviews this week that made me more confident that we will be competitive next season. He said he wants to be competitive sooner rather than later, or something to that effect. I'm excited to see the new players. I'm excited to see who else we add to the roster. I expect them to be way better than most on here expect.
Couldn’t agree more here, we can easily finish top ten especially if we play great Dave Thorsen defense. I mean Colorado state mad a good run last year with a lot less talent than our current roster (and I stand firm on that). Offense will come but if we play with GRIT and high energy defense that easily puts us over the bottom of the big ten and Could help us sneak by a couple mid tier big ten teams. The big ten will take a huge step down next year in the mid to bottom tiers.

I agree with your post 100%. I am just going off the roster we have currently. I do believe we will add some valuable pieces still and that would change what my unrealistic expectation would be. This staff will teach and preach defense first. They also will not sacrifice details to look good right away. It will be process driven and we will be better at the end of the year than we are at the start of the year.

Couldn’t agree more here, we can easily finish top ten especially if we play great Dave Thorsen defense. I mean Colorado state mad a good run last year with a lot less talent than our current roster (and I stand firm on that). Offense will come but if we play with GRIT and high energy defense that easily puts us over the bottom of the big ten and Could help us sneak by a couple mid tier big ten teams. The big ten will take a huge step down next year in the mid to bottom tiers.

We also will have older guys who know what to do. That will help Ben as a first year HC imo.

Good news or bad news? If we can recruit the 2022 Minnesota kids....essentially that is year one.
If we miss, we are back in the transfer portal for 7 or 8 guys again because a lot of the current roster are one year contributors. The train could just idle pretty easily.
You miss on evaluation of high school guys and they are here four years....we have had several examples.

Good news or bad news? If we can recruit the 2022 Minnesota kids....essentially that is year one.
If we miss, we are back in the transfer portal for 7 or 8 guys again because a lot of the current roster are one year contributors. The train could just idle pretty easily.
You miss on evaluation of high school guys and they are here four years....we have had several examples.
But with all the support promised by the club basketball circuit, it seems nearly impossible to poorly evaluate a recruit locally.🤔

But with all the support promised by the club basketball circuit, it seems nearly impossible to poorly evaluate a recruit locally.🤔
There is a put up or shut up pressure on the local basketball community. No more excuses about the coach or how much the community feels neglected or overlooked, etc…. The U took a gamble on a young coach that they said they wanted, now is the time for those local coaches and players to take the same gamble to bring this program to national prominence. I am sick and tired of hearing kids say they represent Minnesota and go to another school! When players make it to the NBA they always are noted as being from the college that they played at not the high school or AAU program. The college follows them through out their career. So to represent Minnesota you have to play for the U!

There is a put up or shut up pressure on the local basketball community. No more excuses about the coach or how much the community feels neglected or overlooked, etc…. The U took a gamble on a young coach that they said they wanted, now is the time for those local coaches and players to take the same gamble to bring this program to national prominence. I am sick and tired of hearing kids say they represent Minnesota and go to another school! When players make it to the NBA they always are noted as being from the college that they played at not the high school or AAU program. The college follows them through out their career. So to represent Minnesota you have to play for the U!

Yep. In a lot of ways, this coaching selection was for them. So if we don't see an uptick in players going to the U, I hope we can officially stop caring about their opinions about the U.

It is deeper than AAU coaches and directors. More importantly it’s the parents and players they thought Pitino was a buffoon. D-1 MN kids recently recruited by Pitino used the word odd or laughied when asked about Pitino. A certain Pulley player could see Izzo was out working Pitino was surprised Pitino was not in the gym moore.

No doubt the coaches and directors have some influence but the local kids and parents are well educated in the process and didn’t need help or and influence to see Pitino was a buffoon. I hope Ben Johnson can turn it around 2022 is a solid class not great like the last few it has some depth need to land 3-4 guys. The classes after that are so so thus Johnson needs to land some out state kids. 🤞

Um yeah this is just not true. Take Tyus for example, you can talk to anyone in the MN basketball community and they will say he is a wonderful representative of Minnesota. He spends significant time and money sponsoring youth teams through his AAU program, and financially supports the Twin Cities Pro-Am league in the summer where our best HS players get to go up against professionals. And these are just the things he does that are public.

There are others too. I went to Jefferson HS and I know Cole Aldrich put a decent chunk of money into their recent court remodel. There are many players that went elsewhere and have now returned to the area and do coaching and camps making MN youth players better.

Obviously Tyus is an outlier, but I feel branding every player that doesn't go to the U no longer a representative of Minnesota is a slippery slope.

It is deeper than AAU coaches and directors. More importantly it’s the parents and players they thought Pitino was a buffoon. D-1 MN kids recently recruited by Pitino used the word odd or laughied when asked about Pitino. A certain Pulley player could see Izzo was out working Pitino was surprised Pitino was not in the gym moore.

No doubt the coaches and directors have some influence but the local kids and parents are well educated in the process and didn’t need help or and influence to see Pitino was a buffoon. I hope Ben Johnson can turn it around 2022 is a solid class not great like the last few it has some depth need to land 3-4 guys. The classes after that are so so thus Johnson needs to land some out state kids. 🤞
2022 might be the deepest MN has ever had. The next couple are awful am I’m kind of glad so I can quit reading everyone whine about in state guys who leave and we just hopefully look at if the guy is a fit.

Look at the massive roster overhaul and the recruiting that is out of balance. It is entirely unrealistic to think there should be "lots of wins" in year 2 (2022-23 season). At best we make top 6 by 2023-24.
So only one 1 player on last year’s squad is a fit for the new staff? One?

Gabe? Ben couldn’t convince him of all players???

Whole new roster is Ben’s responsibility.

We shall see. Ben is polar opposite to rp according to you and others here.
Results are what matters. Can he do what rp could not?

So only one 1 player on last year’s squad is a fit for the new staff? One?

Gabe? Ben couldn’t convince him of all players???

Whole new roster is Ben’s responsibility.
Whether it is a whole new roster or everyone had stayed, Ben is the coach and it is his responsibility. He gets that responsibility and no one else. That's what he interviewed for.
Gabe is a grown man. He makes his own decisions and I am sure Ben respects that.

Whether it is a whole new roster or everyone had stayed, Ben is the coach and it is his responsibility. He gets that responsibility and no one else. That's what he interviewed for.
Gabe is a grown man. He makes his own decisions and I am sure Ben respects that.
So, one player.

Unless you've lead a rough life and the local AAU or High School coach is your father, I don't feel they have more than 10% influence.

The local players don't have to do anything. Back in the day when all you had was local radio and maybe cable tv and there wasn't ACC network, etc, or YouTube where schools can market their programs in a neat way, maybe there was a better connection to the U.

Now, in the highly disassociated world kids live in, the chances of having any loyalty to your local what was once only D1 bball program is none existent (unless you've had constant success the last 5-10 years).

Even your parents went to school there, Chet, it wasn't enough. I don't think I ever saw Chet wearing anything marron and gold besides maybe an official game attendance.

You really need a coach like Fleck who gets this generation and there's a reason why he's so highly sought out for coaching speaking engaments (beyond corporate). Unless you're a known or established commodity, the old way of getting people to buy into your program is gone.

Ben can do it, he's young. He likes Nipsey Hustle for *** sake, but don't expect it to come easy where you feel the U is now an entitled child and these local players should just come here just because.

So true.

Unless you've lead a rough life and the local AAU or High School coach is your father, I don't feel they have more than 10% influence.

The local players don't have to do anything. Back in the day when all you had was local radio and maybe cable tv and there wasn't ACC network, etc, or YouTube where schools can market their programs in a neat way, maybe there was a better connection to the U.

Now, in the highly disassociated world kids live in, the chances of having any loyalty to your local what was once only D1 bball program is none existent (unless you've had constant success the last 5-10 years).

Even your parents went to school there, Chet, it wasn't enough. I don't think I ever saw Chet wearing anything marron and gold besides maybe an official game attendance.

You really need a coach like Fleck who gets this generation and there's a reason why he's so highly sought out for coaching speaking engaments (beyond corporate). Unless you're a known or established commodity, the old way of getting people to buy into your program is gone.

Ben can do it, he's young. He likes Nipsey Hustle for *** sake, but don't expect it to come easy where you feel the U is now an entitled child and these local players should just come here just because.
As you said, in very few cases do the AAU folks have any influence. Most kids are smart. They have so much information and exposure to coaches, programs and facilities. They are far less provincial and look for fit, look for opportunity, the cool factor and on and on. Our own kids, grandkids and their friends are fans of programs every where, especially if well traveled or grandpa or Dad went to a different school. It does not prevent the program from being successful. Ben has a plan. Follow the coaches and programs that he admires and you will hear him lay out his plan. Finding the right people is the place to start and never cutting corners on character.

As you said, in very few cases do the AAU folks have any influence. Most kids are smart. They have so much information and exposure to coaches, programs and facilities. They are far less provincial and look for fit, look for opportunity, the cool factor and on and on. Our own kids, grandkids and their friends are fans of programs every where, especially if well traveled or grandpa or Dad went to a different school. It does not prevent the program from being successful. Ben has a plan. Follow the coaches and programs that he admires and you will hear him lay out his plan. Finding the right people is the place to start and never cutting corners on character.
Name the coaches and programs he admires.

Name the coaches and programs he admires.
So you haven't listened to any of the interviews. Do your own homework instead of expecting others to do it for you. That way you can hear it from Ben and judge the honesty for yourself.

Top Bottom