Gophers guard Both Gach is expected to enter the transfer portal

Was it racist to call Pitino Lil Ricky or Pee Wee Herman? This is a basketball board where people are going to evaluate what a coach is doing- regardless of skin color. Stop it with this insane line of reasoning.

I for one, and a lot of others here, like Ben and have high hopes. That said, he has zero resume to work off of, in order to assure fans in the early years here. Everything will be based on what is happening and what he accomplishes. Period. Right now, and this could look all different in the month, the roster has never looked worse since the summer of 1986. Having 7 healthy players with no proven Big Ten players at this point in May is a historically bad situation. Even supporters (and I am one) should be worried about the optics of so many guys leaving and such a total rebuild.

We have all observed what Fred Hoiberg, a proven winner at this level, has gone through at Nebraska over the past two years. Buckle up.
To answer your first sentence. No. After that you simply stated your opinion, not that of 60s guy.

I will go out on a limb here as a local high school coach and give you my hypothesis. Richard grew up around his dad of course, who is one of the most prominent coaches in the history of college basketball. Personality, success, prominence...he had it all. I get the impression that Rick Pitino is a great relationship builder. He then lived off of those relationships. I also always got the impression that Richard tried to act like he had already built relationships with the local coaches, but never really did, yet tried to act like there was a relationship there. He tried to jump to be like his dad, without doing the things his dad did to build relationships to be successful.

We invited him to the coaching clinics, he always showed up, always was pleasant and a nice guy, but the whole thing just felt superficial. Nothing bad, nothing that was rude or disrespectful, but also just not a true relationship builder. In addition he is not one of those coaches who commands respect. Because of his name and position, he expected it, which is fair, but again, it was all a bit superficial. I don't remember one local coach who spoke up for Richard when he was let go (not saying they did not, but I did not see it). I also did not see anyone who seemed happy he was gone....again, just kind of blah and indifferent.
I have no idea and you obviously have much more tangible reasoning for your opinion but my dislike for Pitino came from it seeming that he oozed arrogance, in so many ways. He was truly above doing the little things (and things you seemed to point out as well) that would make him successful, even during games. Simple things like talking to his players when he didn't like something they did, working the refs (in a good way, or a way not to completely irritate them). He seemed to take everything for granted IMHO.

He's finally gone so it is time to move on! Let's get some positives flowing Ben!

Last edited:

I never met Pitino and I have no inside knowledge of his program. From the distance of a fan, I thought he was anything but arrogant. He was engaging with the media, funny as hell, didn't use cliche ridden coach speak and honest but encouraging in his assessment of his players.

He was an average coach and recruiter at best. A little in over his head and never able to take advantage of the new facilities. The program was going nowhere and I was in favor of his dismissal. However, I never thought he was arrogant.

Top Bottom