Gophers guard Both Gach is expected to enter the transfer portal

So you haven't listened to any of the interviews. Do your own homework instead of expecting others to do it for you. That way you can hear it from Ben and judge the honesty for yourself.
BADGER spouts. He has all the answers.

Unless you've lead a rough life and the local AAU or High School coach is your father, I don't feel they have more than 10% influence.

The local players don't have to do anything. Back in the day when all you had was local radio and maybe cable tv and there wasn't ACC network, etc, or YouTube where schools can market their programs in a neat way, maybe there was a better connection to the U.

Now, in the highly disassociated world kids live in, the chances of having any loyalty to your local what was once only D1 bball program is none existent (unless you've had constant success the last 5-10 years).

Even your parents went to school there, Chet, it wasn't enough. I don't think I ever saw Chet wearing anything marron and gold besides maybe an official game attendance.

You really need a coach like Fleck who gets this generation and there's a reason why he's so highly sought out for coaching speaking engaments (beyond corporate). Unless you're a known or established commodity, the old way of getting people to buy into your program is gone.

Ben can do it, he's young. He likes Nipsey Hustle for *** sake, but don't expect it to come easy where you feel the U is now an entitled child and these local players should just come here just because.
I am not arguing with you, but we were told that the AAU programs hated Pitino and that was a problem, and a major reason why he couldn't recruit locally. If they have 10% influence, then it wasn't a problem and the people who were saying that were completely full of it.

I am not arguing with you, but we were told that the AAU programs hated Pitino and that was a problem, and a major reason why he couldn't recruit locally. If they have 10% influence, then it wasn't a problem and the people who were saying that were completely full of it.
Does not help to be hated but the real issue is many players and parents were not impressed with Pitino.

Does not help to be hated but the real issue is many players and parents were not impressed with Pitino.
My guess, and it's a guess, those parents who were not impressed with Pitino were families/players that Richard didn't pursue aggressively, so they bad mouth him.
He pursued and missed on Garcia. A lot of other Minnesota kids he thought he had better national candidates is my assessment.
Matthew Hurt, the Jones bros, Trent, Travis, Suggs and Holmgren I don't think most any Gopher coach is going to sway given their other opportunities. Stats say kids often leave their home state in other states too.
The buffon and no respect label, I think, is from those who didn't get courted with the red carpet treatment by his evaluation/decision to pursue.
Some couldn't get in school at Minnesota and blame Pitino for that.

Wrong. It was players both pursued aggressively and not. Believe me a couple top 50 players that were and are being pursued by the Gophers share the same feeling.

I get it. Unless someone on here is a local AAU coach, I won't really know what the RP local relationship was like.

That seems to be the consensus on this board, then it's just a waiting game to see what Ben can do.

Wrong. It was players both pursued aggressively and not. Believe me a couple top 50 players that were and are being pursued by the Gophers share the same feeling.

So if by all accounts, in the media we see, Pitino is a likable guy, what was it about him that turns off some of the top local kids. Some because he has landed a couple.

It's so weird.

My only other thought is, maybe the U men's program has some sort of image problem (exclusive of who the head coach is)....the raised floor perhaps or latrines? haha

I get it. Unless someone on here is a local AAU coach, I won't really know what the RP local relationship was like.

That seems to be the consensus on this board, then it's just a waiting game to see what Ben can do.
I will go out on a limb here as a local high school coach and give you my hypothesis. Richard grew up around his dad of course, who is one of the most prominent coaches in the history of college basketball. Personality, success, prominence...he had it all. I get the impression that Rick Pitino is a great relationship builder. He then lived off of those relationships. I also always got the impression that Richard tried to act like he had already built relationships with the local coaches, but never really did, yet tried to act like there was a relationship there. He tried to jump to be like his dad, without doing the things his dad did to build relationships to be successful.

We invited him to the coaching clinics, he always showed up, always was pleasant and a nice guy, but the whole thing just felt superficial. Nothing bad, nothing that was rude or disrespectful, but also just not a true relationship builder. In addition he is not one of those coaches who commands respect. Because of his name and position, he expected it, which is fair, but again, it was all a bit superficial. I don't remember one local coach who spoke up for Richard when he was let go (not saying they did not, but I did not see it). I also did not see anyone who seemed happy he was gone....again, just kind of blah and indifferent.

So if by all accounts, in the media we see, Pitino is a likable guy, what was it about him that turns off some of the top local kids. Some because he has landed a couple.

It's so weird.

My only other thought is, maybe the U men's program has some sort of image problem (exclusive of who the head coach is)....the raised floor perhaps or latrines? haha
The U has a local image problem and the program is not viewed as cool by the top players here.
We simply have not landed the top kids in the state for a long, long time and it hasn't much mattered who the coach was. Really, Tubby did as good as anyone in that he did land Rodney and he had Royce bagged. Rickert only came here because his dad cajoled him at the last minute. Hump went to Duke and had a falling out with K. El Amin left for UConn. Troy Bell, Alan Anderson and others.

I will go out on a limb here as a local high school coach and give you my hypothesis. Richard grew up around his dad of course, who is one of the most prominent coaches in the history of college basketball. Personality, success, prominence...he had it all. I get the impression that Rick Pitino is a great relationship builder. He then lived off of those relationships. I also always got the impression that Richard tried to act like he had already built relationships with the local coaches, but never really did, yet tried to act like there was a relationship there. He tried to jump to be like his dad, without doing the things his dad did to build relationships to be successful.

We invited him to the coaching clinics, he always showed up, always was pleasant and a nice guy, but the whole thing just felt superficial. Nothing bad, nothing that was rude or disrespectful, but also just not a true relationship builder. In addition he is not one of those coaches who commands respect. Because of his name and position, he expected it, which is fair, but again, it was all a bit superficial. I don't remember one local coach who spoke up for Richard when he was let go (not saying they did not, but I did not see it). I also did not see anyone who seemed happy he was gone....again, just kind of blah and indifferent.
I tend to agree with you. Of course I have no personal experience, but you could see it in the way he recruited. His first year he thought he could recruit like his dad or Donovan. He got in the final three of a couple top National prospects, never was able to land any. It was like he felt he had the respect or recognition of the top programs without actually earning it.

OK, so how do they feel about coach Johnson?

Ahh... might be too early to tell.... a couple of those players just completed their freshman year in college.. Holloman for instance Pitino had no chance. Johnson has a better chance..

Make sure to report back on our new coach.

The U has a local image problem and the program is not viewed as cool by the top players here.
We simply have not landed the top kids in the state for a long, long time and it hasn't much mattered who the coach was. Really, Tubby did as good as anyone in that he did land Rodney and he had Royce bagged. Rickert only came here because his dad cajoled him at the last minute. Hump went to Duke and had a falling out with K. El Amin left for UConn. Troy Bell, Alan Anderson and others.
The u is considered to be a non white big ten school. So, we need to build on our strengths.

Thank you... I had a number of posts in another thread stating the same. (They were deleted by the mods for being off topic so I will tread lightly this time!) I claimed that it has become a self-fulfilling prophesy ever since the Final Four got wiped away. It cut the heart out of the program.

Even the most diehard of fans became skeptical of the program and, rather than supporting it without question, all fans began to express a negative tone at the 'water cooler' that has infected the entire community down to the most casual of observers. This has led to apathy. We've lost a whole generation of kids, many future stars, who have not dreamed of wearing the maroon and gold.

We've tried various remodels to try to make the house a home again with mixed results. Monson, Smith, and Pitino proved to not be the architects for the job and the flaws of the house are still visible with average and inconsistent on-the-court products. I think that the scandal that caused the vacating of the Final Four severely damaged the foundation and the remodelers above could not salvage the building.

Coach Johnson provides us with an opportunity to start from scratch with a full tear down. It is going to take some time but I truly hope that we are able to build a new house with a NEW foundation. I fully expect there to be some struggles but if fans start to see a team of overachievers and cast offs that employs some 'grit' to lead to some unexpected victories, we might see the true fans begin to rally in its support. Maybe we can build off of this success and go on a run in the tourney that captures the communities interest once again.

A lot of hopes, mights, and maybes but the tear down just might be what it takes to get this program back to its prominence in the community. If we can't win the hearts of the community and the attention of local youth, we have little chance of maintaining a solid reputation nationally.

Thank you... I had a number of posts in another thread stating the same. (They were deleted by the mods for being off topic so I will tread lightly this time!) I claimed that it has become a self-fulfilling prophesy ever since the Final Four got wiped away. It cut the heart out of the program.

Even the most diehard of fans became skeptical of the program and, rather than supporting it without question, all fans began to express a negative tone at the 'water cooler' that has infected the entire community down to the most casual of observers. This has led to apathy. We've lost a whole generation of kids, many future stars, who have not dreamed of wearing the maroon and gold.

We've tried various remodels to try to make the house a home again with mixed results. Monson, Smith, and Pitino proved to not be the architects for the job and the flaws of the house are still visible with average and inconsistent on-the-court products. I think that the scandal that caused the vacating of the Final Four severely damaged the foundation and the remodelers above could not salvage the building.

Coach Johnson provides us with an opportunity to start from scratch with a full tear down. It is going to take some time but I truly hope that we are able to build a new house with a NEW foundation. I fully expect there to be some struggles but if fans start to see a team of overachievers and cast offs that employs some 'grit' to lead to some unexpected victories, we might see the true fans begin to rally in its support. Maybe we can build off of this success and go on a run in the tourney that captures the communities interest once again.

A lot of hopes, mights, and maybes but the tear down just might be what it takes to get this program back to its prominence in the community. If we can't win the hearts of the community and the attention of local youth, we have little chance of maintaining a solid reputation nationally.

Unpopular take.

Williams Arena is part of that history.

If the program truly needs a fresh start, you need to tear it all down.

Not many will like this, but you can't erase the memories of that Final Four team from the barn by simply taking down the banners. It will always be part of the history of that building.

Unpopular take.

Williams Arena is part of that history.

If the program truly needs a fresh start, you need to tear it all down.

Not many will like this, but you can't erase the memories of that Final Four team from the barn by simply taking down the banners. It will always be part of the history of that building.
I'm not talking about the Barn... I am talking about the fans. The casual fan that jumps on the band wagon during a good run has been hard to find. When I talk with people at work, they just don't care. Sometimes a full tear down is better than trying to patch things up with duct tape and a fresh coat of paint.

I'm not talking about the Barn... I am talking about the fans. The casual fan that jumps on the band wagon during a good run has been hard to find. When I talk with people at work, they just don't care. Sometimes a full tear down is better than trying to patch things up with duct tape and a fresh coat of paint.
And that gets done by the person who starts with character. Who knows you have to be a top defensive team. Who knows you find guys that can lose together, grow closer and then win. I am sick of watching teams with no direction, poor defense, poor conditioning and not close.

And that gets done by the person who starts with character. Who knows you have to be a top defensive team. Who knows you find guys that can lose together, grow closer and then win. I am sick of watching teams with no direction, poor defense, poor conditioning and not close.
So which coach gets his team in the NCAA tournament first? The Golden Boy who inherited the 14 win Gopher team or the buffoon who took over the 6 win Lobos?

So which coach gets his team in the NCAA tournament first? The Golden Boy who inherited the 14 win Gopher team or the buffoon who took over the 6 win Lobos?
No idea. BUT . I will go with the new coaching staff here to build something sustainable. They may not be as fast but they will do better than what was done here previously.

Interesting how you frame this. It seems borderline racist on your part. You being butthurt is obvious to all. I suggest you log out of the GH for a few years.

What's a lot wins? Ben could just fill it with cupcakes and get a lot wins. I agree with being competitive in two years. I think they should play competitive this year, but I believe coaching has more value than many others in college basketball. My high end probably unrealistic goals for gopher basketball this year would be in the top 10 this year in the conference, top 8 in year two, and top 6 in year three. Lets see what Ben and co can do. I'm excited to see something different and see if it works.
Judge Ben on B1G wins and success by the last half of season 2 and beyond, imo.

I fully expect an OOC schedule with cupcakes in Year 2.

Interesting how you frame this. It seems borderline racist on your part. You being butthurt is obvious to all. I suggest you log out of the GH for a few years.
Your reading comprehension is woeful.
Your propensity to call most anyone you don’t agree with, a racist, is reckless.
Your desire to attack people shows your own vulnerability.
If anyone needed a kids timeout it is you.

Your propensity to call most anyone you don’t agree with, a racist, is reckless.
You wrote:
Any reader can observe your disdain of Ben Johnson. Anyone who has read your comments in the Basketball forum can read and observe your disdain of Ben Johnson.
As I said, your comments are borderline racist. You didn't get the person you wanted as coach, therefore you belittle the coach that has been hired. You should step away from the basketball forum and go elsewhere if you cannot support the Gopher basketball program as it is. Your incessant whining is valueless.

He wouldn't even respond when I called him out on his racist comments.... He stereotypes all the time and calls others racist....

You wrote:

Any reader can observe your disdain of Ben Johnson. Anyone who has read your comments in the Basketball forum can read and observe your disdain of Ben Johnson.
As I said, your comments are borderline racist. You didn't get the person you wanted as coach, therefore you belittle the coach that has been hired. You should step away from the basketball forum and go elsewhere if you cannot support the Gopher basketball program as it is. Your incessant whining is valueless.
Was it racist to call Pitino Lil Ricky or Pee Wee Herman? This is a basketball board where people are going to evaluate what a coach is doing- regardless of skin color. Stop it with this insane line of reasoning.

I for one, and a lot of others here, like Ben and have high hopes. That said, he has zero resume to work off of, in order to assure fans in the early years here. Everything will be based on what is happening and what he accomplishes. Period. Right now, and this could look all different in the month, the roster has never looked worse since the summer of 1986. Having 7 healthy players with no proven Big Ten players at this point in May is a historically bad situation. Even supporters (and I am one) should be worried about the optics of so many guys leaving and such a total rebuild.

We have all observed what Fred Hoiberg, a proven winner at this level, has gone through at Nebraska over the past two years. Buckle up.

Top Bottom