Gopher Scrimmage Friday Oct 18

STrib blog: Gophers scrimmage showcases energy, highlights ball handling as an area of concern

If all goes according to plan, the Gophers will be a very different team than theAy were last year, when Minnesota's pace seemed to get slower and slower as the Big Ten schedule wore on. Certainly, they looked the picture of Pitino's philosophy on Friday, sprinting up the court, playing with tons of energy and pressing constantly. There were impressive performances from JUCO guard Mathieu (a game-high 26 points) and junior forward Osenieks (16 points, seven rebounds), who turned some heads after such a disappointing 2012-13. Austin Hollins looked incredibly comfortable in the new system and Andre Hollins, while quiet offensively, had a game-high five steals.

Of course, there were plenty of obvious weaknesses, most notably turnovers -- something I expected would get worse before it got better.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/228426401.html

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Up-tempo? Gophers' Mathieu knows no other way on the court

The newcomer dazzled at a scrimmage with 26 points.

“He’s really good,” Pitino said of Mathieu. “He’s one of those guys where when we saw him play when we got the job, we thought he really fit the way we like to play — so quick, he’s so aggressive. … He’s going to be a major part of what we want to do.”

Friday, he stole the show, zipping around defender Andre Hollins and making eight of 11 shots from the field. His tireless speed and nifty shots had the small crowd at the Barn swooning.

“He showed us some stuff tonight that we hadn’t seen in practice,” Hollins said, grinning widely. “I guess he saved it in his pocket for everyone else to see. … I’m shooting myself in the foot with that one, because I was guarding him. So I guess I have to pick my defense up a little more.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/228424581.html

Go Gophers!!

Thanks guys.

I think a lot of us expected Malik to be a starter. Any chance we go with Dre, Dre and Austin at the guards with Malik coming off the bench?

From what I saw tonight- that's what I'd do. Matheiu could create a ton of open looks for the Hollins'. Smith was not good tonight, but he doesn't lack the confidence.

As far as the over all team, it's really tough to figure out how this guard heavy squad will do in Big Ten play. I went away very pleased with the new Dre and excited about the long term future of the program- but thinking conservatively about the coming year. I think it will be more fun but tough to reach 9-9 with this front court.

- Mathiue seems like he is on ice skates. It's fun to watch. He knows to use the back board very well.
- Buggs fouled Oto very hard. It should have been a flagrant.
- McNeil and Buggs will probably see limited minutes if any.
- Mav is jacked.
- Coach P is lucky to have Austin Hollins. Great player, attitude and leader.
- Joey's got a little bit of that Will Sheehey where you love him if he's on your team or if he's not he gets under your skin
- EE Dunked! but it didn't count
- Wally doesn't seem very fluid on the offensive side of the court. Great effort on the boards and put backs though.

Didn't even see the scrimmage, but I feel like we are looking at a depth chart like this:

PG: Dre M / Mav
SG: Dre H / Malik / McNeil
SF: Austin / Wally
PF: Oto / King / Buggs
C: EE / Mo

I think this will pretty much be the lineup, Dre M can flat out score in many different ways, not sure I have seen anyone in a Gophers Uniform that plays like that sinse Bobby Jackson, have to wait until Big Ten play begins but he looks like the real deal.

Austin and Oto really played well, if they can play like that, under control, confident, and poised this team could be decent.

Really lacking physically up front but with a bit of hussle and spliting of the playing time between Mo and Elliot they may hold out better than we think, like others have said, much better flow, much more enjoyable to watch.

McNeil is better than I thought he would be, he could see some significant playing time by the end of the year.

- Mathiue seems like he is on ice skates. It's fun to watch. He knows to use the back board very well.
- Buggs fouled Oto very hard. It should have been a flagrant.
- McNeil and Buggs will probably see limited minutes if any.
- Mav is jacked.
- Coach P is lucky to have Austin Hollins. Great player, attitude and leader.
- Joey's got a little bit of that Will Sheehey where you love him if he's on your team or if he's not he gets under your skin
- EE Dunked! but it didn't count
- Wally doesn't seem very fluid on the offensive side of the court. Great effort on the boards and put backs though.

After Buggs hacked Oto, Richard had a word with him.

I agree with everything that's been written. Whoever this Little Dre guy is, he looks the part. As many points as he scored, he looked to pass first. He has great court awareness and seemed to know where everyone was at all times. He also seems to have a feel for the full-court defense, anticipating passes and getting at least a couple steals at mid court, including one just before halftime after which he drained a 3.

The half court offense looks good already. I love how they look to make the extra pass, especially on penetration. The cutters also know to look for the pass. Who knows how the penetration offense will fare against Wisconsin and Michigan State, who clog up the lane with big bodies. I just like the way everyone is moving and the ball is looking to change hands at all times.

Dre Hollins and Malik Smith looked somewhat drugged. Austin looked like a senior on a mission. So did Mav. We'll see about Oto, but I don't ever remember him so confident and smooth. Maybe there will be a "Gilligan, you can't fly; it's impossible" moment with Oto down the road, but don't wake him up if you don't have to. McNeill looks like he'll be alright in time. King got a couple offensive boards, as did Mo and Wally. Rebounding is going to have to be by committee. Elliott's going to have to play with energy.

I think we use a 9-man rotation this year, and no more or no less.

PG- Dre Mathieu
SG- Dre Hollins
SF- Austin Hollins
PF- Oto Osenieks
C- Elliot Eliason

Sub PG- Mav Ahanmisi
Sub SG- Malik Smith
Sub 3/4- Joey King
Sub C- Mo Walker

I think we use a 9-man rotation this year, and no more or no less.

PG- Dre Mathieu
SG- Dre Hollins
SF- Austin Hollins
PF- Oto Osenieks
C- Elliot Eliason

Sub PG- Mav Ahanmisi
Sub SG- Malik Smith
Sub 3/4- Joey King
Sub C- Mo Walker

Are you anticipating Wally quits?

scrimmage

Very enjoyable, if not ragged scrimmage. My starting lineup appears to be much different than almost everyone else. My observations:

1. Totally unimpressed with King. Very poor with
the ball in his hands. Does not have a good
handle, poor passer, and did not rebound well.
Will have to fight for minutes.
2. Wally was extremely athletic. Rebounded well.
Shot, however, has to improve. Will be needed
to help defensively and with rebounding,
something the Gophers desparately lack.
3. Oto was shocking with how well he played.
The only hope here is that he continues to
play that well. Did not rebound well, though so
needs to improve on that to gets his minutes
simply because the Gophers have scorers.
4. Mathieu was amazingly quick and athletic. Can
shoot the 3 and attack the basket equally well
and has a good handle. Very impressive.
5. Biggest surprise was Mo. Totally outplayed EE.
Aggressive on the boards, scored and hit his
throws. But, perhaps the most impressive
part is he ran the floor.

My starting five:

C - Mo
F - Wally/Oto
F - Austin
G - Dre H
G - Dre M

A few things to be very impressed with.. FT 22-28 combined so many games are lost on the line... The first game was very good as well.

Just need to keep cutting down the TO...

I think this team will have about 5 different players who will lead them in scoring each game during the year.. dre,dre Austin,smith,mav this is great you can't always count on 1 or 2 guys each night... everyone has off nights.

STrib: Up-tempo? Gophers' Mathieu knows no other way on the court

The newcomer dazzled at a scrimmage with 26 points.

“He’s really good,” Pitino said of Mathieu. “He’s one of those guys where when we saw him play when we got the job, we thought he really fit the way we like to play — so quick, he’s so aggressive. … He’s going to be a major part of what we want to do.”

Friday, he stole the show, zipping around defender Andre Hollins and making eight of 11 shots from the field. His tireless speed and nifty shots had the small crowd at the Barn swooning.

“He showed us some stuff tonight that we hadn’t seen in practice,” Hollins said, grinning widely. “I guess he saved it in his pocket for everyone else to see. … I’m shooting myself in the foot with that one, because I was guarding him. So I guess I have to pick my defense up a little more.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/228424581.html

Go Gophers!!

This has got to be help with PG recruits when your point guard in this style is able to score and lead a team.. Tyus? Jarvis? come on guys

This has got to be help with PG recruits when your point guard in this style is able to score and lead a team.. Tyus? Jarvis? come on guys

I'm not sure about Tyus, but Jarvis would be an absolute monster playing for Pitino. It would be a wonderful thing.

Although I'm pretty sure Tyus would dominate too!

After Buggs hacked Oto, Richard had a word with him.

I agree with everything that's been written. Whoever this Little Dre guy is, he looks the part. As many points as he scored, he looked to pass first. He has great court awareness and seemed to know where everyone was at all times. He also seems to have a feel for the full-court defense, anticipating passes and getting at least a couple steals at mid court, including one just before halftime after which he drained a 3.

The half court offense looks good already. I love how they look to make the extra pass, especially on penetration. The cutters also know to look for the pass. Who knows how the penetration offense will fare against Wisconsin and Michigan State, who clog up the lane with big bodies. I just like the way everyone is moving and the ball is looking to change hands at all times.

Dre Hollins and Malik Smith looked somewhat drugged. Austin looked like a senior on a mission. So did Mav. We'll see about Oto, but I don't ever remember him so confident and smooth. Maybe there will be a "Gilligan, you can't fly; it's impossible" moment with Oto down the road, but don't wake him up if you don't have to. McNeill looks like he'll be alright in time. King got a couple offensive boards, as did Mo and Wally. Rebounding is going to have to be by committee. Elliott's going to have to play with energy.

I pretty much agree with the consensus after watching last nights scrimmage. Lil Dre was amazing and as of now, has earned a spot as a starter. Its only one scrimmage, but Pitinio also listed him as a MVP of the last scrimmage.. reading between the lines.. he is almost a lock to start. Plus, he has three years of eligibility, correct? Is it me or did last night's scrimmage make you worry A LOT less about point guard recruiting this Fall? Sure, who wouldn't want a blue chip player, but I think we are fine if we focus on JJ at this point.

I think Smith, while looking a little ragged, also looked confident and I believe will provide some big buckets for this team. King looked like a player that will develop nicely.. he is young and confident.. sure, some sloppy passes but I like his potential. To be honest, I am higher on Pitino after this practice than I was before because it confirms his talent evalutation skills.. plus Mo looked like a new man.. as did Oto.

The season will have plenty of ups and downs, but we have enought to work with to make things interesting and thats what we all wanted... I can't wait for Maui!

Gold team dribble dribble jack......dribble dribble prayer...dribble dribble dribble dribble! Unimpressed.

Mo will be a much better player as it appears that his conditioning has vastly improved. He had one nice reverse lay-up which is a move that EE probably lacks. Still, both Mo or EE will have difficulty scoring on their own, rather will get their points on put backs or hand-offs.

EE had a number of nice assists on the give & go, especially in the first half.
I wasn't impressed with either one's rebounding.

Mathieu is a high energy water bug who has one speed; fast. There were a few times when he was out of control but for the most part had a pretty good handle. He can finish very well considering his size. Andre couldn't keep up with him.

Buggs and King were pretty much disappointments although Buggs is a force on the press. Same with Smith. He appears to have difficulty setting his feet on his jumper.

Fun and entertaining scrimmage. Lots of energy!!!!!!!!

Gold team dribble dribble jack......dribble dribble prayer...dribble dribble dribble dribble! Unimpressed.

Dribble, dribble periods. Dribble, dribble, dribble periods. Dribble, dribble, dribble periods. Dribble, dribble, dribble, exclamation point. Unimpressed.

Wow, you seemed to have similar comments for Tubby's style last year.. guess no pleasing you. I thought the scrimmage was great. Best I've seen a Gopher team look in a scrimmage in years. Players like Oto and Wally look to come out of their shells in this system, using athletic ability. Austin also looks right at home. Glad you watched with your eyes closed? Excited for Pitinio ball...

I pretty much agree with the consensus after watching last nights scrimmage. Lil Dre was amazing and as of now, has earned a spot as a starter. Its only one scrimmage, but Pitinio also listed him as a MVP of the last scrimmage.. reading between the lines.. he is almost a lock to start. Plus, he has three years of eligibility, correct? Is it me or did last night's scrimmage make you worry A LOT less about point guard recruiting this Fall? Sure, who wouldn't want a blue chip player, but I think we are fine if we focus on JJ at this point.

Unfortunately no, Mathieu is a junior. If we do get Jarvis, Dre will be gone by the time he gets on campus. We will have to hope that McNeil is a solid point guard otherwise we will be in trouble, so definitely still a concern. Can't depend on one point guard to play 40 minutes per game. If we get Mason this will be less of a concern.

Unfortunately no, Mathieu is a junior. If we do get Jarvis, Dre will be gone by the time he gets on campus. We will have to hope that McNeil is a solid point guard otherwise we will be in trouble, so definitely still a concern. Can't depend on one point guard to play 40 minutes per game. If we get Mason this will be less of a concern.

My bad. But it still covers us for next year as well. Thinking another juco guard for next year could compliment Jarvis (if we land him). I'd be happy with mason but unless he's ready to play right away, might not help as much as a juco. Perhaps McNeil can play some point as well. My point is the same I guess. We have more options today knowing lil Dre is capable.

My bad. But it still covers us for next year as well. Thinking another juco guard for next year could compliment Jarvis (if we land him). I'd be happy with mason but unless he's ready to play right away, might not help as much as a juco. Perhaps McNeil can play some point as well. My point is the same I guess. We have more options today knowing lil Dre is capable.

For this year and next year yes, but not for the 2015 which is the main reason people are concerned about not having a PG commitment. You don't want to depend purely on first year players at the most important position. Getting a PG commitment this year would allow us a point guard for 2015 with at least one year of experience under his belt.

I liked McNeil, he struggled at times with the ball but he is a little quicker than either Smith or Ahanmisi, not a bad shooter from the perimeter, a little bigger and more physical than some of the other guards. Played decent defense, good fundementals, not like the Dre's but can fill a role.

For this year and next year yes, but not for the 2015 which is the main reason people are concerned about not having a PG commitment. You don't want to depend purely on first year players at the most important position. Getting a PG commitment this year would allow us a point guard for 2015 with at least one year of experience under his belt.

I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have a good juco junior vs a top 150 player in his second year.

Now. Tum Tum seemed legit. Would love to have mason. Just don't see how a player like him is an answer in his sophomore year. Could be great. But after the top 50 or so, seems like a roll of the dice. Again. Would take him in a minute but doubt he plays a ton next year.

Bottom line. We have extra schollys so taking mason would be great. But I guess I was more worried about depth for next year. We will be targeting highly rated players along side JJ. I still hope we add one juco (if good) to give a more seasoned player for 2015.

I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have a good juco junior vs a top 150 player in his second year.

Now. Tum Tum seemed legit. Would love to have mason. Just don't see how a player like him is an answer in his sophomore year. Could be great. But after the top 50 or so, seems like a roll of the dice. Again. Would take him in a minute but doubt he plays a ton next year.

Bottom line. We have extra schollys so taking mason would be great. But I guess I was more worried about depth for next year. We will be targeting highly rated players along side JJ. I still hope we add one juco (if good) to give a more seasoned player for 2015.

Again, next year isn't the point. We have Hollins and Mathieu next year. Saying it would be nice to have a point guard in 2015 who isn't in his first year to go along with Jarvis (if we get him). Mason would give us that. I also don't think you can just depend on 2015. If we get a commitment from Jarvis, do you really think we're still going to be an attractive option for other point guards in the same class? We need more than one point guard on the team in 2015, and preferably one with at least some experience. Maybe McNeil will be that guy, but we aren't sure if he can play PG yet so getting one in this class would ease some concern. This, again, is why people are concerned about the idea of not getting a PG in 2014.

Don't care how hard Oto balled in the scrimmage, he's gotta prove something in the regular season to get any respect.

Am I the only one that left feeling like this will be a bottom 3 team in the Big 10? Sloppy with the ball. Not physical. Lack of athleticism. Last years team would beat this team comfortably, and they were only a middle of the pack team.

Don't care how hard Oto balled in the scrimmage, he's gotta prove something in the regular season to get any respect.

He played well enough for an underclassmen, role player last regular season, he just didn't shoot well. That's the only thing people can legitimately complain about with Oto was that his shot wasn't falling. So this year you mean to say he must make shots in the regular season, not just rebound, pass, defend well.

Am I the only one that left feeling like this will be a bottom 3 team in the Big 10?

Obviously not, since just about every talking head is picking us to finish around 9th...

Top Bottom