Gopher Scrimmage Friday Oct 18

Kind of surprised no highlights of the scrimmage showed up on YouTube. I also checked a few of the Minneapolis TV stations web sites and had no luck. Thanks to those of you who provided recaps of what you saw, they were greatly appreciated. Anxious to see the new guys and the new style for myself.

What? GW is the one who always said FT % doesnt matter.

dboy is the one who said missed FT rebounds should not be counted in a players stats.. because you are given inside position... KG was the master at padding his rebound stats by running down missed FT's like a rabid dog. ( and late 3's when the other team was down 20 and jacking at will )

dboy is the one who said missed FT rebounds should not be counted in a players stats.. because you are given inside position... KG was the master at padding his rebound stats by running down missed FT's like a rabid dog. ( and late 3's when the other team was down 20 and jacking at will )

You are correct, dboy. Now, comparing you to the oft maligned GW is an insult. Insult to whom, I can't answer. :)

Don't care about your choice of words or your grammar. Only that you understand that Tubby sat down with the Ellenson family to discuss burning the red-shirt. Tubby suggested he red-shirt but Wally & his parents wanted him to play, even if limited minutes.

I'm guessing his goal is the 2020 summer games, kind of tough to go to school, play basketball, and try and make the 2016 games, curious, anybody know what kind of a training schedule and how many years it takes someone to achieve that.

Can't believe some video of the scrimmage hasn't popped up on youtube yet.

Thanks for all the recaps - was at the amazing ft ball game in NW! Any more open scrimmages?

Ok... maybe athleticism isn't a major weakness. However, the point remains that this team is not better than last years squad. I wish I left the scrimmage feeling more optimistic, but I didn't see a team that will win many Big 10 games. Hope I am wrong.

One thing I did like was the emphasis by Pitino on defense. We will really have to create chaos to win games.

Except it is all relative. Athleticism is a given in the Big Ten. The question is if you are more athletic than your opponents. The way that Pitino wants to play, they will need to be more athletic than their opponents. This team lacks the 6-6 to 6-9 athletes that are needed for a pressing team. Athleticism is a major question for this team.

Except it is all relative. Athleticism is a given in the Big Ten. The question is if you are more athletic than your opponents. The way that Pitino wants to play, they will need to be more athletic than their opponents. This team lacks the 6-6 to 6-9 athletes that are needed for a pressing team. Athleticism is a major question for this team.

You are talking more about a personel problem than an athleticism problem.

I would isolate that to the center and power-forward positions, not to our guard play. We have athleticism on the team. That is what Tubby recruited. What we lack is athletes who value the ball and don't turn it over.

You are correct that teams who press for 90 feet need long-armed athletes to disrupt the play and we are lacking team speed with Oto, Joey, EE and Mo in that position. This will be an area for Richard P to recruit. However, there is a plethora of D1 teams who are highly successful without having significant athletes across the board. The problem is that those teams are set up to value each possession and control the pace by using up the entire shot clock before taking the shot they want. That is not how RP wants to play and I agree that he doesn't have the talent pool to fully do what he wants to do this season.

I would isolate that to the center and power-forward positions, not to our guard play. We have athleticism on the team. That is what Tubby recruited. What we lack is athletes who value the ball and don't turn it over.

You are correct that teams who press for 90 feet need long-armed athletes to disrupt the play and we are lacking team speed with Oto, Joey, EE and Mo in that position. This will be an area for Richard P to recruit. However, there is a plethora of D1 teams who are highly successful without having significant athletes across the board. The problem is that those teams are set up to value each possession and control the pace by using up the entire shot clock before taking the shot they want. That is not how RP wants to play and I agree that he doesn't have the talent pool to fully do what he wants to do this season.

Interestingly, that's the type of player Tubby covets for the ball-line defense as well - the long-armed, athletic forward. The problem is that you just graduated three of those guys, and the cupboard is momentarily exhausted. It would have been the same problem for Tubby this year with this squad as it will be for Richard.

Interestingly, that's the type of player Tubby covets for the ball-line defense as well - the long-armed, athletic forward. The problem is that you just graduated three of those guys, and the cupboard is momentarily exhausted. It would have been the same problem for Tubby this year with this squad as it will be for Richard.

I would have loved to have seen Pitino coach Rodney Williams for a year (or more if it were possible).

We do have a couple long-armed, athletic forwards but the problem is they're both essentially freshmen and likely at least a year or two away from being quality B1G players. (Buggs, of course, and Ellenson, who hardly played at all last year).

I would isolate that to the center and power-forward positions, not to our guard play. We have athleticism on the team. That is what Tubby recruited. What we lack is athletes who value the ball and don't turn it over. You are correct that teams who press for 90 feet need long-armed athletes to disrupt the play and we are lacking team speed with Oto, Joey, EE and Mo in that position. This will be an area for Richard P to recruit. However, there is a plethora of D1 teams who are highly successful without having significant athletes across the board. The problem is that those teams are set up to value each possession and control the pace by using up the entire shot clock before taking the shot they want. That is not how RP wants to play and I agree that he doesn't have the talent pool to fully do what he wants to do this season.

And yet Florida played Erik Murphy at PF last year, he really doesn't scream "athletic" like you described to me at least.

College ball comes down to guard play the vast majority of the time. I am not saying Gophers for champs, but they will be fine. Assuming they clean up turnovers a bit as you already mentioned.

What will help our rebounding out will be that we are a running team... so if we do transition out of a rebound quick at make a few lays with the other team not getting back.. this does cause coaches and players to not quite go as hard or send so many to the offensive glass.. so make them pay early could help the rebounding the rest of the game..

You are correct. Where I see (hope for) the big difference will be in how we attack as an offense. The standing Tubby offense where we jack up a low percentage shot at the shot clock buzzer was terribly frustrating. I look forward to better movement and clean looks for our perimeter shooters. RP will have to figure out how to spread out the offense. I would suspect he considers a four out - one in set with four guys on the perimeter and either Mo or EE roaming the blocks/freethrow line on offense with the weak-side crashing the boards after a shot attempt. That approach will allow for guys like Wally to play the four spot and use slashing and jumping ability to get put-backs off a missed shot.

I would have loved to have seen Pitino coach Rodney Williams for a year (or more if it were possible).

We do have a couple long-armed, athletic forwards but the problem is they're both essentially freshmen and likely at least a year or two away from being quality B1G players. (Buggs, of course, and Ellenson, who hardly played at all last year).

I'd have love to seen Willams, Mbakwe and the little Dre all together under Pitino we had a team that was built to run last year with the exception of the coach and the waterbug point guard.

I can't speak for tonight, but it seemed from my point of view that many times in the past Oto played/shot scared. Maybe with the higher tempo he won't have time to think about being scared.

Good thought.

And yet Florida played Erik Murphy at PF last year, he really doesn't scream "athletic" like you described to me at least.

However Florida played/plays quite slow (including relative to their conference). Pitino has expressed the desire in Minnesota to do something quite different.

However Florida played/plays quite slow (including relative to their conference). Pitino has expressed the desire in Minnesota to do something quite different.

He has said his half-court offense at least would be similar to Florida's.

Will dpo be attending tonight?

425.basketball.ls.31212.jpg

No, I was not at the scrimmage, as I was in Chicago to attend the football game with other Gopher fans. While I was there, I came across a book that may be helpful for you:

9781610580007_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

#4 looks very quick!

Quickest guard in a Gopher uniform since Kevin Clark I'd say. Lightning speed and the ability to change directions on a dime. How it all translates to Big Ten play at 5'9" 160# is hard to say- but for one night it was a lot of fun to watch.

No, I was not at the scrimmage, as I was in Chicago to attend the football game with other Gopher fans. While I was there, I came across a book that may be helpful for you:

9781610580007_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

"I'm above name-calling but not above claiming someone else has Aspergers"

Edgy.

Top Bottom