Gopher Scrimmage Friday Oct 18

Quickest guard in a Gopher uniform since Kevin Clark I'd say. Lightning speed and the ability to change directions on a dime. How it all translates to Big Ten play at 5'9" 160# is hard to say- but for one night it was a lot of fun to watch.

Quicker version of Aaron Robinson, who was also 5-9 and good enough to start at the point for a Tournament team.

"I'm above name-calling but not above claiming someone else has Aspergers"

Edgy.

He claims I'm fat and ugly and bald and paint my head like a basketball (out of nowhere, as I hadn't posted in this thread nor even looked at it), so I respond in kind, and I am the one you whine at?

Fantastic.

Glad to see that Pitino is focusing on Andre's defense, and that he seems to be improving.

If Andre can become a good defender, we're talking first team all Big Ten player by next year.

He claims I'm fat and ugly and bald and paint my head like a basketball (out of nowhere, as I hadn't posted in this thread nor even looked at it), so I respond in kind, and I am the one you whine at?

Fantastic.

I just picture you looking exactly like Jerry Kill, since that was your avatar for a long time

I just picture you looking exactly like Jerry Kill, since that was your avatar for a long time

I love Jerry Kill, but thankfully I look nothing like him. He is not an attractive man.

Fantastic.

What's wrong with painting your head like a basketball?

What's wrong with painting your head like a basketball?

Ya, it could be worse, especially when dpodoll is really a melancholy guy. He has a head like a melon and a face like a collie. :)

Malik Smith
Positives-
He didn't hurt any of our great fans with his errant passes.

Pitino makes me laugh.

Once again, the coach didn't harp on Andre's cold shooting. As long as he's taking high-quality shots, he's going to be encouraged to keep firing.

Think of the fun he could of had with Parski.:cool02:

He claims I'm fat and ugly and bald and paint my head like a basketball

Never happened. You're making things up once again.

Nonetheless if I had said you're fat and ugly and bald and paint your head like a basketball - which I didn't - I'm not sure that warrants you taking a shot at autism in general.

I realize you have special and ever-changing rules depending on the moment, the topic, etc. so you'll be able to rest well.

Glad you were able to make it to Evanston along with Coach Kill. I was there a couple of weeks ago - always enjoy visiting.
---------------

Dre's performance Friday night was fine, but I think Pitino needs to really rely on him and Austin. Austin won't be a huge usage guy, but Dre must be. Would probably like to see Dre in the 26-28% range.

His post was weird but funny (and apparently offensive). Yours was just weird and offensive. I'd be curious to know what went through your mind when you thought of that idea for your response.

Fantastic.

My starting five:

C - Mo
F - Wally/Oto
F - Austin
G - Dre H
G - Dre M

I know that a lot of us, and possibly even the coaching staff, see Wally as a possible starting PF or I guess in our system a "4 guard", but could that actually be affective? Just because our offense is a run and gun, pressing, team doesn't mean that other teams wont be in the half court offense against us (most of them will be). The BIG is full of teams with great point guards (Craft, Appling, Yogi to name a few) and once they break our press, these teams will be in your conventional half court sets and Wally will be forced into guarding/rebounding against a BIG caliber PF. Wally is a sparkplug and s slasher but is this a realistic starting PF? Or just a full court option later in the games or in times of a need of a momentum shift? Because last time I checked Wally was 6'4 when I would say the optimal PF would be 6'8+ (maybe not in our system). I just dont see this.

I know that a lot of us, and possibly even the coaching staff, see Wally as a possible starting PF or I guess in our system a "4 guard", but could that actually be affective? Just because our offense is a run and gun, pressing, team doesn't mean that other teams wont be in the half court offense against us (most of them will be). The BIG is full of teams with great point guards (Craft, Appling, Yogi to name a few) and once they break our press, these teams will be in your conventional half court sets and Wally will be forced into guarding/rebounding against a BIG caliber PF. Wally is a sparkplug and s slasher but is this a realistic starting PF? Or just a full court option later in the games or in times of a need of a momentum shift? Because last time I checked Wally was 6'4 when I would say the optimal PF would be 6'8+ (maybe not in our system). I just dont see this.

He's grown a lot. I see him as a legit 6'6 now. And unfortunately, I don't think Wally will do that much worse guarding post players than Buggs, or Joey King will. They're charmin soft. I think that Oto may actually be our best hope for a scrappy four in the post.

He's grown a lot. I see him as a legit 6'6 now. And unfortunately, I don't think Wally will do that much worse guarding post players than Buggs, or Joey King will. They're charmin soft. I think that Oto may actually be our best hope for a scrappy four in the post.

They list King an inch taller than Oto, when Oto looks 1.5" taller. They list Wally at 6'-6" and Austin at 6'-4" when they look to be the same height. I've never understood it.

Oto is pretty athletic, if he found his shot (now that Tubby isn't there to pull you after one miss) he could be a nice surprise.

They list King an inch taller than Oto, when Oto looks 1.5" taller. They list Wally at 6'-6" and Austin at 6'-4" when they look to be the same height. I've never understood it.

Oto is pretty athletic, if he found his shot (now that Tubby isn't there to pull you after one miss) he could be a nice surprise.

By one miss do you mean when he went 2 for 27 on three pointers?

starting line up...
PG Dre Mathieu
SG Dre Hollins
SF Austin Hollins
PF Walker
C EE
?????
Seems solid to me.

^^^ I think we won't start Walker and EE - we'll start Oto or Joey King at the 4. This is due to stamina as well as fouls (need 40 minutes at the 5 between just Mo and EE). I'm not saying they'll never play together, but I'd be very surprised if we started the game with the "twin towers" approach

The optimal power forward for our system is 6'7" and he currently attends a local HS. Mr Travis..... c'mon down. If we had him in our lineup THIS YEAR we would be in the upper half of the Big Ten.
Until then- it will be PF by committee.

^^^ I think we won't start Walker and EE - we'll start Oto or Joey King at the 4. This is due to stamina as well as fouls (need 40 minutes at the 5 between just Mo and EE). I'm not saying they'll never play together, but I'd be very surprised if we started the game with the "twin towers" approach

+19

Starting five: the best TEAM with size, athleticism, hustle and most of all unselfish play.

Andre H
Austin H
Wally
Oto
Elliot

Line up also Allows for a spark, a change of pace from Dre, Malik, and Mo.

The optimal power forward for our system is 6'7" and he currently attends a local HS. Mr Travis..... c'mon down. If we had him in our lineup THIS YEAR we would be in the upper half of the Big Ten.
Until then- it will be PF by committee.

+1 Can Travis skip his senior year? We need him right now.

Starting five: the best TEAM with size, athleticism, hustle and most of all unselfish play.

Andre H
Austin H
Wally
Oto
Elliot

I'd be fine with that starting line up.

Andre H
Austin H
Wally
Oto
Elliot

I'd rather Wally be the "spark". That backcourt needs another ball handler or shooter. I'd rather see Malik or little Dre start.

I'd rather Wally be the "spark". That backcourt needs another ball handler or shooter. I'd rather see Malik or little Dre start.

Malik has not shown the ability to be anything more than the 3rd man off the bench at this point. Dude has been playing horribly.

Malik has not shown the ability to be anything more than the 3rd man off the bench at this point. Dude has been playing horribly.

It's early. However, my biggest concern with Malik is that he may take shot volume away from Andre. Andre is a kid who needs to heat up and when he does, can go off big as we have seen a number of times. If he reduces his role, I don't think that's a good thing.

The best thing about Malik is that he gives us Andre insurance. Last year when Andre got a quick foul or two - we wer in deep trouble. With Malik I think we are much better off. Right now- off what I saw in the scrimmage I think that the two Hollins in with little Dre is the ticket. Malik is not a point guard- that's for certain.

The best thing about Malik is that he gives us Andre insurance. Last year when Andre got a quick foul or two - we wer in deep trouble. With Malik I think we are much better off. Right now- off what I saw in the scrimmage I think that the two Hollins in with little Dre is the ticket. Malik is not a point guard- that's for certain.

Agree 100%.

It's early. However, my biggest concern with Malik is that he may take shot volume away from Andre. Andre is a kid who needs to heat up and when he does, can go off big as we have seen a number of times. If he reduces his role, I don't think that's a good thing.

I agree with your shot volume insight. I also know the ideal starting five is the one that plays the best together and creates the abilty to maximize the greatest number of possessions. Rebounding, deflections/steals, strong ball handligng and easy buckets means possessions.

Top Bottom