Gopher Scrimmage Friday Oct 18

Malik has not shown the ability to be anything more than the 3rd man off the bench at this point. Dude has been playing horribly.

Did you base that completely off the boxscore from the one public scrimmage you weren't at?

He is the only one who Pitino knows what he will get out of in a game. That last scrimmage was obviously a horrible night for him, but the scrimmage before, he was 4-7 from 3pt. He's obviously a streaky shooter. I don't know if he will start, but to write him off from one "midnight madness" scrimmage is ridiculous.

The same can be said about Oto lighting it up in the scrimmage. I'm guessing a light just didn't go on in his head over the offseason. Sure, we hope he's better, but we have an idea of what he's capable of against quality competition from a much larger sample size.

My starting backcourt would be Mathieu-Hollins-Hollins (D2H2)

Did you base that completely off the boxscore from the one public scrimmage you weren't at?

He is the only one who Pitino knows what he will get out of in a game. That last scrimmage was obviously a horrible night for him, but the scrimmage before, he was 4-7 from 3pt. He's obviously a streaky shooter. I don't know if he will start, but to write him off from one "midnight madness" scrimmage is ridiculous.

The same can be said about Oto lighting it up in the scrimmage. I'm guessing a light just didn't go on in his head over the offseason. Sure, we hope he's better, but we have an idea of what he's capable of against quality competition from a much larger sample size.

I'm basing it off all the reports I've read, particularly Pitino's statements. He has not played well thus far. He is obviously familiar with Pitino's system so that may get him some starts, but I think by the time Big Ten play rolls around he'll be one of the first 3 guys off the bench.

I'm basing it off all the reports I've read, particularly Pitino's statements. He has not played well thus far. He is obviously familiar with Pitino's system so that may get him some starts, but I think by the time Big Ten play rolls around he'll be one of the first 3 guys off the bench.

I too am basing some of my thoughts on what Pitino has said, the Marroon team played well together, the gold did not because they didnt play team basketball. When the big ten rolls around, everyone is big and athletic, it will take a team.

So are you expecting big things from him or not really expecting much since he hasn't shown anything and according to reports hasn't played well?

C - Mo
F - Wally/Oto
F - Austin
G - Dre H
G - Dre M

This is a good guess, if you ask me. The bigger question is which 5 will Rich Pit sub in after the under 16 timeout when he pulls every starter?

So are you expecting big things from him or not really expecting much since he hasn't shown anything and according to reports hasn't played well?

I am expecting him to be our 4th or 5th guard/wing. A contributor, but not one of our best players.

My starting backcourt would be Mathieu-Hollins-Hollins (D2H2)

Not sure that Smith is quick enough for defense in the B1G, I figure he will be fighting Mav for playing time.

I am expecting him to be our 4th or 5th guard/wing. A contributor, but not one of our best players.

I think you are way off with your interpretation of Richards comments about Smith. He was a good pick up for this year and will be a very solid contributor.

I expect him to get some starts and play major minutes, especially when he is on fire (which he will be from time to time). Much better dribbler, shooter and passer than Joe. He appears equally comfortable shooting from a toe outside the three point line to outside of NBA range, which is someone every other team tends to have, except for us in recent years.

I think you are way off with your interpretation of Richards comments about Smith. He was a good pick up for this year and will be a very solid contributor.

I expect him to get some starts and play major minutes, especially when he is on fire (which he will be from time to time). Much better dribbler, shooter and passer than Joe. He appears equally comfortable shooting from a toe outside the three point line to outside of NBA range, which is someone every other team tends to have, except for us in recent years.

How would you change my ranking of our guards/wings?

1. Dre Hollins
2. Austin Hollins
3. Dre Matheiu
4a. Wally/Malik
4b. Wally/Malik
6. Mav
7. McNeil
8. Shell

How would you change my ranking of our guards/wings?

1. Dre Hollins
2. Austin Hollins
3. Dre Matheiu
4a. Wally/Malik
4b. Wally/Malik
6. Mav
7. McNeil
8. Shell

I'm on board with this, but earlier you had Wally above both Malik and Matheiu. Who knows, I can't wait to watch! I imagine they'll all get plenty of run in the non conference!

I'm not sure anyone is expecting him to be one of our best players, but if he's the 4th guard, that's likely putting him behind Hollins' and JUCO Dre. That's still quite a large role.

Malik's role is going to be more important to me because of his knowledge of playing for Pitino before. The streaky three point shooting is a bit of a bonus thing, but I think he'll be on the court quite a bit because he's a senior and knows what's going on out there. At least earlier in the year, I'm guessing he'll play some pretty significant minutes.

It's funny cause when I was at the scrimmage, I didn't even realize he had shot that poorly. I did notice some of the bad passes, but the shooting thing, part of that is he was trying to help the Gold team get back in it after falling behind so I'm sure he hoisted a few more than usual. Plus, the Gold team didn't exactly have a lot of scorers on their squad, and had a lot of the young/new guys on it. The maroon team had all the vets, so they probably should have looked better as a team.

I'm on board with this, but earlier you had Wally above both Malik and Matheiu. Who knows, I can't wait to watch! I imagine they'll all get plenty of run in the non conference!

I'm assuming you are talking about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Scoreboard
Starting five: the best TEAM with size, athleticism, hustle and most of all unselfish play.

Andre H
Austin H
Wally
Oto
Elliot

Line up also Allows for a spark, a change of pace from Dre, Malik, and Mo.
I'd be fine with that starting line up.

I was commenting on someone else's projected lineup. Said I'd be fine with it because I see Wally and Malik in the same category, though I probably favor Wally because of athleticism and potential to be a better rebounder.

Many ways to rank them, I prefer the best at each postion or who will have the most impact/ mpg for #1-3 players. Also difficult to rank Wally with this group since he is the only 3 spot player (SG/SF, but not a 2 guard at all), aside form Austin (2-3 spot) most are 1-2 guys. I've also seen Wally shoot so many air-balls and badly missed bricks I'm worried about him finding his shot, but he can contribute in other ways.

PG- Dre 2)Matheiu (we hope) 3)Mav 4)McNeil -not going to even count Shell.
SG- guard 1)Dre-Austin 2)Malik 3&4)Mav/McNeil 4)McNeil (hard to lump McNeil in this spot, but he will share some 1-2 duties with Andre/Mav on the court with him)
SG/SF- 1)Austin 2)Wally (3/4/5)Oto/King/McNeil -There is so many combinations of guys who overlap court time, some of these depth charts are worthless.

Probably the better way to look at it; mpg for guards.
1st teir)Dre/Austin
2 tier)Matheiu/Malik/Mav
3rd tier)Wally -could sneak up to second, Mav could slip to 3rd tier if Dre-Malik-Matheiu earn the bulk of 1-2 spots.
4th tier) McNeil -probably limited spot duty

Starting Five first three to five games:

Hollins
Hollins
Smith
Oto
Elliot

Starting five after first five games and team develops

Hollins
Hollins
Mathieu
Ellenson
Elliot

Starting Five first three to five games:

Hollins
Hollins
Smith
Oto
Elliot

Starting five after first five games and team develops

Hollins
Hollins
Mathieu
Ellenson
Elliot

Interesting insight. What will be the major differences we will need from the one through four positions during the non-conference games as compared to the big ten games? Not asking Xman specifically, just insight from anyone in general. I'm assuming the five spot is what we get either Elliot or Mo.

Maybe I'm off base, but I think Smith's production will be much like that of Ray Gallegos last year for Nebraska. Extremely streaky. However, it's good to know that we don't have to depend heavily on Smith like the Huskers did Gallegos for us to be successful.

Top Bottom