Expect a 40% empty Floyd Stadium @ Middle Tennessee State

then you screw up

No.

MTSU does not have speed, quickness, or athleticism?!?

I did not say that. Did you note the use of the word superior before that phrase? I guess not. Or do they not teach adjectives at MTSU?

OK.... check the stats on our rushing sweetheart. You don't get 26th in the nation in rushing by being slow. But I guess Minnesota is fast with that 111th ranking in rushing yards last year.

It's a good thing that amount of rushing yards directly correlates to speed, quickness, athleticism. Oh, that's right, it doesn't. Note my previous post wherein I referenced, among other things, execution. Minnesota did not execute last year, especially on offense. Not to mention the fact that this year's defense is far more athletic than last year's. But I'm sure you knew that already.

Put MTSU's players in a combine setting vs. Minnesota's, and it's not even a contest. Seriously. You need to get off this tangent, because you are wrong.

check out Whatley (my freshman who ran a 4.31 in the 40 yd dash)

Speed does not make someone a good football player. One could literally write a book (or several) on amazing athletes who sucked at baseball, basketball, football, and so on. A former Vikings player and coach I heard on the radio yesterday summed it up well (paraphrased): "I know a lot of guys who are big enough, strong enough, fast enough to be professional football players. What separates pros from them is all between the ears." In other words, read, recognize, and execute. If you can't do those things, it doesn't matter how fast you are.

You're welcome for the free lesson on athleticism vs. the actual ability to play football. MTSU probably even has the advantage on the latter, so I don't understand why you're trying to argue for the former. It's absurd to even suggest such a thing.

A couple points:

- I would guess that Stockstill treated the New Orleans Bowl like the National Championship because that is as close as a Sun Belt team can get to the NC game.

- you think some Gopher fans look at MTSu as being a "small" school that the Gophers should trample over and not taking the first game seriously. Let me clarify. ALL Gopher fans should look at MTSU as being a small school that the Gophers should trample over. But, the Gopher football programs is not at the point where we'd like it to be. Any knowledgeable Gopher fan is taking the game seriously. Due to the state of the Gopher program right now, when aligned with an MTSU squad that is at the high water mark in terms of their own potential: defeat is a very real possibility, and that is of course a concern. As Gopher fans, we'd like to see our team in a position where we don't have to sweat the outcome of game against a top tier team from the Sunbelt. Unfortunately, the Gopher program is not in that place today. I think you are mixing up a couple things and incorrectly arriving at the conclusion that Gopher fans (and perhaps the team) are somehow overlooking a team that is favored to beat them.

"- I would guess that Stockstill treated the New Orleans Bowl like the National Championship because that is as close as a Sun Belt team can get to the NC game."

Wrong. SunBelt is now open to 3 or 4 bowls. GMAC invited Troy last year where they played Central Michigan.

I just think it's sad that other Gopher fans think this website is a joke and that the people on here are drinking WAY too much kool-aid. I'm starting to agree with them.

My mistake. The GMAC Bowl is much closer to the National Championship compared to the New Orleans Bowl.

And no offense, but from things I've read, the rest of the Big 10 thinks Minnesota is a joke. I'd rather be top-tier in a sub-par conference, than terrible (or dead last) in a decent conference.

And no offense, but from things I've read, the rest of the Big 10 thinks Minnesota is a joke. I'd rather be top-tier in a sub-par conference, than terrible (or dead last) in a decent conference.

Your ignorance about football has been exposed. Is that why you have a tough time defending all the stats you love to throw around?

Please don't let this thread die. Dpod, you need to be nice, she might stop posting.

Nebraska lost to Iowa State too.

MTSU lost to Troy.

LOL @ we're not taking MTSU seriously. Who cares what the fans are doing??? All I know is Brewster has had this game circled since it was announced cause HE knows the importance, and that's all that really matters. I'm pretty sure he's showing more tape than just Dasher as well. This is the same dude that compared FAU to Ohio State as a team, and that FAU team had nothing on MTSU. He's probably in the locker room telling these guys MTSU is very similar to Oregon or some other top BCS squad, and that Dasher is better than Terrelle Pryor and stuff like that. That's how Brewster is, if nothing else, he'll have that team ready to compete. That's why they got banners all over the place pronouncing "1-0", because that is the ONLY goal they have right now. The players will be ready, don't worry about that. Fans may disrespect MTSU, but there is ZERO chance Brewster is doing the same. Not only that, everyone and their grandma keeps telling these guys they suck, so motivation shouldn't be an issue against ANY squad.

That said, this is still MTSU, a Sun Belt squad. It should be an expectation that we win this game convincingly, even if all signs point to at minimum, a very competitive game. As a Big Ten conference program, we should expect dominant wins here, considering the advantages we're supposed to have. That's just how it is. This game may not turn out that way, but we should be expecting our program to get to that point.

This game may not turn out that way, but we should be expecting our program to get to that point.

Exactly. It's a sad commentary on where we're at right now that we have to worry about this game. In a perfect world, this is a game where the Gophers shouldn't even have to throw the ball. As it stands, I'm cautiously optimistic about our odds.

The team should have their heads on straight from the coaches but also from all the snubs in the preseason rags. These guys have some pride, and the notion that MTSU would be favored to beat them should make them sick/motivated to stomp somebody by 30.

Nebraska lost to Iowa State too.

MTSU lost to Troy.

Troy=#62
MTSU=#58
Minnesota=#67
Iowa State=#70

Troy has dominated the SunBelt the last few years. Look them up. That's like saying Minnesota lost to Ohio State...oh wait...

It takes some doing to be the worst directional school in TN, but comparing Troy to Ohio State is putting you guys up with the geniuses over at ETSU.

Edit: Checked the Sagarin ratings at the end of last season:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt09.htm

Dance4raiders can't even read right.

MTSU 63
Gophs 64
ISU 66
Troy 69
tOSU 6

Yes, we lost to #66 Iowa State. You can't smack us for losing to the #66 team, and then crow about beating the #77 team. If beating #77 is such an epic accomplishment, surely losing to #66 can't be such a terrible disgrace.

With the exception of the 2007 team, the Gophers have been around 3-4 Big Ten wins each season for quite some time. We're humble enough to admit that isn't great, it's mediocre. But mediocre isn't terrible.

We have sufficient respect for MTSU, but you demand more than is reasonable for anyone.

It takes some doing to be the worst directional school in TN, but comparing Troy to Ohio State is putting you guys up with the geniuses over at ETSU.

MTSU 63
Gophs 64
ISU 66
Troy 69
tOSU 6

Which puts Troy more in line with Big Ten opponents such as #75 Purdue (who the Gophers Beat) or #61 Northwestern (who the Gophers beat). But yes, Troy = Ohio State.

MTSU 63
Gophs 64
ISU 66
Troy 69
tOSU 6

So if you lose to the #66 team and we're #63...wouldn't you be a little worried??? Plus, I wasn't going by last season's rankings. I was going by 2010's. And ETSU doesn't even compare to MTSU so don't even start.

You act as if Minnesota has never seen a team as good as MTSU. I assure you we have plenty of experience playing some very good teams.

You can only compare losing to Ohio State to losing to a team of the same caliber as OSU. I could say that losing a game to Minnesota-Duluth is like losing to Ohio State, and that's true in a sense, but it only compares what two teams have done in the level on which they compete, it's meaningless to make a comparison between the teams themselves.

So if you lose to the #66 team and we're #63...wouldn't you be a little worried??? Plus, I wasn't going by last season's rankings. I was going by 2010's. And ETSU doesn't even compare to MTSU so don't even start.

What ratings are you using, Sagarin's aren't out yet as far as I could see. Last year's ratings are based on a whole season of actual play. Ratings at this point mean little.

We are taking the game very seriously. But worried, no. Are MTSU fans "worried" about the game? We're simply not going to quake in our boots and grovel, no matter how much you might like it.

And it's our board, we'll start anything we feel like. :D

Dominated the Sun Belt?

Troy=#62
MTSU=#58
Minnesota=#67
Iowa State=#70

Troy has dominated the SunBelt the last few years. Look them up.

Isn't that like that like saying you won the last flight in a Golf tournament? Look THAT reference up.
2009 end of season conference rankings:
1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big One plus the seven little Indians
4. Pac 12
5. ACC
6. Big East
7. Mountain West
8. WAC
9. Conference USA
10. MAC
11. Sun Belt

Several sources, a bit of a composite, since there is no definitive way to do it. However, the Sun Belt was ranked last in every single place I looked.

You act as if Minnesota has never seen a team as good as MTSU. I assure you we have plenty of experience playing some very good teams.

You can only compare losing to Ohio State to losing to a team of the same caliber as OSU. I could say that losing a game to Minnesota-Duluth is like losing to Ohio State, and that's true in a sense, but it only compares what two teams have done in the level on which they compete, it's meaningless to make a comparison between the teams themselves.
Please try to stay on topic. This thread is about the temperature in Murfreesboro. I guarantee it is going to be veeeeerry hot, and awfully wet.

If you rotate the E by 90 degrees (coincidentally the probable kickoff temperature in Murfreesboro that will make the Gophers super uncomfortable and sweaty), ETSU becomes MTSU.

Isn't that like that like saying you won the last flight in a Golf tournament? Look THAT reference up.
2009 end of season conference rankings:
1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. Big One plus the seven little Indians
4. Pac 12
5. ACC
6. Big East
7. Mountain West
8. WAC
9. Conference USA
10. MAC
11. Sun Belt

Several sources, a bit of a composite, since there is no definitive way to do it. However, the Sun Belt was ranked last in every single place I looked.

Sagarin lists the Sun Belt as being below the I-AA Colonial conference. Of course, no one is saying we can't lose. But some of the MTSU posters are acting like they are Alabama.

Sagarin lists the Sun Belt as being below the I-AA Colonial conference. Of course, no one is saying we can't lose. But some of the MTSU posters are acting like they are Alabama.

Yeah, but Alabama lost 8 starters on defense...surely they are incapable of being decent this year. I would have that game as MTSU - 3.5

dancefor raiders:

I get the distinct impression that you're prepared to "defend the honor of your school" when in reality, there's no reason to. You keep talking about the way Maryland and So. Miss. underestimated MTSU and seem to expect the Gophers and Gopher fans to feel the same way.

The thing is the majority of us don't.

- MTSU is favored.

- The Gophers going back at least 10 years have either lost to, or barely beat a number of teams from non-BSC conferences.

- It's the first game of what will be a very important year for Brewster and his staff.

The only thing that we're not nervous about is the heat, not THIS year anyway. The Coaching Staff though is quite concerned about it, thank you.

If your looking to use the" you better respect us" card to late; we already do.

The downside of course is that there will be no Maryland/So. Mississippi over-confidence card to play.

One other thing; the Troy State/Ohio State analogy? The "U" could easily lose to MTSU but they're 7-41 against the Buckeyes and 1-0 versus Troy State. It's a tough argument to carry regardless of the MTSU/Troy series.

I also left out the independants...

Did not want to make it to convoluted.
I was going to go with the smartest kid in the Down Syndrome class comparison, but decided it would be in poor taste and I stand by that choice.
Hey, wouldn't MTSU be acting life they are Florida, since they took second in the Sun Belt?

Top Bottom