Expect a 40% empty Floyd Stadium @ Middle Tennessee State

We've seen pictures of your indoor practice facility, you can't fool us.

igloo%20outside%20blog.jpg

about the same as...

Must be pretty frustrating to watch it melt in July and then have to rebuild it in September.

an entire state (excluding Ober Gatlinberg, of course) shutting down after .5" of snow.

I do enjoy this back and forth. Man, bring on Sept. 2nd!

It's nice to know the MTSU fans are excited about this game. I really wish I could go. I would love the opportunity to combine camping in the Smokey Mountains with a gopher game.

an entire state (excluding Ober Gatlinberg, of course) shutting down after .5" of snow.

I do enjoy this back and forth. Man, bring on Sept. 2nd!

I'm not exaggerating when I say this, if there is an inch of snow in the forecast there will be people lined up at the grocery stores buying bread and milk. I grew up in Georgia and went to school in Tennessee and it goes the same way in both states.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this, if there is an inch of snow in the forecast there will be people lined up at the grocery stores buying bread and milk. I grew up in Georgia and went to school in Tennessee and it goes the same way in both states.

lol That is pathetic.

It's like that all over the south. I found it entertaining when I live in NC. They would call off schools everywhere the night before even though the snow hadn't started yet.

Sunset is 7:20, the game starts at 6:30, and the average high is 86 that day. That means it's likely to be low 80s at kickoff and will cool off throughout the game. If this were an 11am start, or a 2 pm start then yes, might be an issue. But it's unlikely to be an issue for a night game.

Sunset is 7:20, the game starts at 6:30, and the average high is 86 that day. That means it's likely to be low 80s at kickoff and will cool off throughout the game. If this were an 11am start, or a 2 pm start then yes, might be an issue. But it's unlikely to be an issue for a night game.

I can guarantee you that it will be hotter than 86 on Sept. 2 and even though the sun is down, you will still have humidity. Plus, that field is 10-15 degrees hotter than the air temperature. It will definitely be warm, especially while tailgating.

I can guarantee you that it will be hotter than 86 on Sept. 2 and even though the sun is down, you will still have humidity. Plus, that field is 10-15 degrees hotter than the air temperature. It will definitely be warm, especially while tailgating.

While tailgating?? Huh. I hope most of our players are in the locker room and not tailgating then. How can you guarantee it will be hotter than 86 when that's the average? It's not like I picked 86 out of thin air. 10-15 degrees hotter on the field? At noon maybe but not at 6:30 unless you have heaters down there.

While tailgating?? Huh. I hope most of our players are in the locker room and not tailgating then. How can you guarantee it will be hotter than 86 when that's the average? It's not like I picked 86 out of thin air. 10-15 degrees hotter on the field? At noon maybe but not at 6:30 unless you have heaters down there.

Tailgating. Yes, we tailgate before games. So it will be hot. That's common sense... And 86 is the average, ok...but have you ever lived in Middle TN? Nothing is ever average here, especially lately. It's a hot summer and it will not be 86 on Sept. 2. And yes it will be 10-15 degrees hotter on the field...how I know... #1 danced on that field for 4 years. #2 our turf has ground up tires in it, therefore it is black and it is rubber. it absorbs heat. and at 6:30, that sun will not be down. Just saying. It may start cooling down around 8 or 9. Lived in TN my entire life, I think I would know.

Tailgating. Yes, we tailgate before games. So it will be hot. That's common sense... And 86 is the average, ok...but have you ever lived in Middle TN? Nothing is ever average here, especially lately. It's a hot summer and it will not be 86 on Sept. 2. And yes it will be 10-15 degrees hotter on the field...how I know... #1 danced on that field for 4 years. #2 our turf has ground up tires in it, therefore it is black and it is rubber. it absorbs heat. and at 6:30, that sun will not be down. Just saying. It may start cooling down around 8 or 9. Lived in TN my entire life, I think I would know.

Ok, I guess averages don't apply in Tennessee. I stand corrected.

Isn't harping on a Sunbelt program for having empty seats a bit of "the pot calling the kettle black"?

I'm not sure when exactly it will be that gopher fans will be licensed to begin smack talking, but that time has certainly not yet arrived. Furthermore, it should be embarrassing to have to stoop down and direct it towards a mid-major school. (Although they are picked as favorites over a Big Ten team which is embarrassing in itself...)

Please try to be more responsible when representing our conference.

Isn't harping on a Sunbelt program for having empty seats a bit of "the pot calling the kettle black"?

I'm not sure when exactly it will be that gopher fans will be licensed to begin smack talking, but that time has certainly not yet arrived. Furthermore, it should be embarrassing to have to stoop down and direct it towards a mid-major school. (Although they are picked as favorites over a Big Ten team which is embarrassing in itself...)

Please try to be more responsible when representing our conference.

You are so adorable Regdab. For our Tennessee readers, Regdab [badger backwards...no coincidence] is an obsessive compulsive red weasel fan. I'm sure that you have noticed that there are a large number of "whiskey" and iowa pigs that post here. That happens when you trail your biggest rival in National Championships, B10 titles, and overall W/L records. Schadenfreude personified.

Please try to be more responsible when representing a fine University like the University of Wisconsin.

Ok, I guess averages don't apply in Tennessee. I stand corrected.

Just saying that it hasn't been an average year in Middle Tennessee. We had the "500 year flood" in May which wiped out Nashville. We've had the hottest summer in about 30-40 years this year, so I highly doubt it will be 86 on Sept. 2. No need to get an attitude and act like a "know it all" when you're not even from here and I'm guessing that you've probably never been to Tennessee.

Just saying that it hasn't been an average year in Middle Tennessee. We had the "500 year flood" in May which wiped out Nashville. We've had the hottest summer in about 30-40 years this year, so I highly doubt it will be 86 on Sept. 2. No need to get an attitude and act like a "know it all" when you're not even from here and I'm guessing that you've probably never been to Tennessee.

Haven't been to Tennessee in 15 years since I went with my church to rebuild houses in the Appalachians. I wasn't being a know it all. I simply went to weather.com and pulled the average temps in the area and guessed that weather will be less of a factor than most are claiming. And I know a little something about the heat effect on artificial turf, but since I never danced on it I should probably shut my mouth.

Weather will be a factor. Brew has been pushing the Gophers in the heat to make it less of a factor. We've played in Southern summer heat before, plus we have something we haven't ever had before. Depth.

Haven't been to Tennessee in 15 years since I went with my church to rebuild houses in the Appalachians. I wasn't being a know it all. I simply went to weather.com and pulled the average temps in the area and guessed that weather will be less of a factor than most are claiming. And I know a little something about the heat effect on artificial turf, but since I never danced on it I should probably shut my mouth.

Not being a "know it all", hmm...could've fooled me. Oh and by the way, Nashville is 2 days away from having a record of 32 days where it has been upper 90's. Just another weather factor that's NOT average this year. Just saying.... but what do I know? I only live there. I guess weather.com is the basis for everything. And while you're at it, look on there and see if weather.com also predicted that "500 year flood" for us too.

Not being a "know it all", hmm...could've fooled me. Oh and by the way, Nashville is 2 days away from having a record of 32 days where it has been upper 90's. Just another weather factor that's NOT average this year. Just saying.... but what do I know? I only live there. I guess weather.com is the basis for everything. And while you're at it, look on there and see if weather.com also predicted that "500 year flood" for us too.

What you really need to do is to try to understand the concept of "average."
1. a quantity, rating, or the like that represents or approximates an arithmetic mean:
2. a typical amount, rate, degree, etc.; norm.

So you see, if I tell you the average is 86 degrees on a certain day. That doesn't mean it can't be in the 90s. But it also doesn't mean it can't be in the 70s. It means that when you add up all the temps over say the last 100 years on a specific date and divide by 100, the average temperature was 86. This isn't necessarily true, but you can think of it as if 1/2 of the temps were over 86 and 1/2 were below 86. So when you tell me that it's "always" above average temperature, then that means you aren't paying attention to the other half the time when it's "always" below the average. A flood is not an average occurrence. The fact that you've had a heat wave in July does not necessarily mean higher temperatures in September. It's the sun that heats up the ground up rubber on the field, and you can spray water on the turf to cool it off. 2/3 of this game will be played when the sun is down.

Dude, you need to relax. Why so angry? Find your zen, man. No need to get worked up over the weather. As long as players are hydrated, the temp won't be a factor. And because the game is at night, the field won't be much hotter, because the sun won't be out.

Deep breathes, deep breathes.

Floods? ...we're right at home in water

.... And while you're at it, look on there and see if weather.com also predicted that "500 year flood" for us too.

We're the Land of 10,000+ Lakes. We know how to swim, so the 500 year flood will not be a factor in this game.

-One other useless fact: In the middle of winter, we can drive our cars on those lakes out to the ice-house.

Dude, you need to relax. Why so angry? Find your zen, man. No need to get worked up over the weather. As long as players are hydrated, the temp won't be a factor. And because the game is at night, the field won't be much hotter, because the sun won't be out.

Deep breathes, deep breathes.

She's a chick....dude

Weather will be a factor. Brew has been pushing the Gophers in the heat to make it less of a factor. We've played in Southern summer heat before, plus we have something we haven't ever had before. Depth.

i agree with your first comment, weather will be a factor. i also agree that it shouldn't be a deciding factor, the strength and conditioning coaches are professionals who get paid to make sure our football players are ready to pay football in any conditions.

however, the last time we played in the 'southern heat' was FAU in 2007--they put up 42 on us. i believe brewster had the team inside with the heat jacked up.

before 2007 the last time the gophers played in the 'southern heat' was 2003 at louisina laffayette.

this team is a different team, as you pointed out, but if it is warm and humid it will be a departure from the norm of what the gopher are used to playing in.

while you are correct, this is not the same team as that 2007 team, we have depth (albeit untested depth), dwight dasher and MTSU is not the same offense as rusty smith and FAU.

i agree with your first comment, weather will be a factor. i also agree that it shouldn't be a deciding factor, the strength and conditioning coaches are professionals who get paid to make sure our football players are ready to pay football in any conditions.

however, the last time we played in the 'southern heat' was FAU in 2007--they put up 42 on us. i believe brewster had the team inside with the heat jacked up.

before 2007 the last time the gophers played in the 'southern heat' was 2003 at louisina laffayette.

this team is a different team, as you pointed out, but if it is warm and humid it will be a departure from the norm of what the gopher are used to playing in.

while you are correct, this is not the same team as that 2007 team, we have depth (albeit untested depth), dwight dasher and MTSU is not the same offense as rusty smith and FAU.

I agree. Our offense is completely different from FAU's. I also think one thing that will help our defense is our new coordinator. Yes, I miss Manny Diaz (loved that guy), but McCray was with Wisconsin for 4 years. He's had experience with Minnesota and I think, has given MTSU a "head's up" on what to expect. I also like that Beyah is back to WR. That's the perfect position for him. He proved that in 2008. Went to MTSU Fan Day yesterday and the guys seem pumped and ready for this game! I also loved the turnout yesterday for Fan Day. I can't wait to see if this first game is a sellout.

FAU did beat us in 2007, but it was because we dug ourselves too deep a hole to come back from. It wasn't us that faded in the second half, but FAU. We roared back in the second half, but it wasn't quite enough. The weather isn't going to be nearly such a major factor as the MTSU fans think.

I can guarantee you that it will be hotter than 86 on Sept. 2

What is your basis for this? The average daily high for Murfreesboro on Sept. 2 is 87 degrees (data from iMap). Some years the high was hotter than that. If you know how averages work, that means that some years the high was also cooler than that. There is no way you can "guarantee" that it will be hotter than 86 that day.

Top Bottom