Expect a 40% empty Floyd Stadium @ Middle Tennessee State

gophergv

Reaction score
While MTSU played well at home last year it doesn't seem very intimidating. According to their media guide the stadium seats 30,788. They averaged 19,000 fans excluding the 28k that attended the Memphis game(I assume there is at least some rivalry here). They only reached 62% of capacity for their final game when the team was well on their way to a good year. I just bought 4 tickets today and look forward to further destroying the home field advantage. Go Gophs

underdogs or not, road game or not, there is no excuse to lose this game. get 'er done Brew & Co.

This is the first time a Big Ten team has EVER visited that stadium. I have a hunch the closet MTSU fans will come out of the woodwork for this one. That stadium will be be well more than 60% full. This is likely one of the top three or four biggest home games they've ever played there. It will have a nice crowd.

murfreesboro_floyd1.jpg

I have never visited "worldstadiums.com". Figured I'd check it out when I saw where that picture came from. On my way to seeing what their coverage of TCF Bank Stadium looked like, I got sidetracked by the fact they list 5 Stadiums in Greenland. Check out the fancy 2,000 capacity Nuuk Stadium in Greenland:

nuuk_football.jpg

Your luck with thinking that only 40% of the stadium will be filled might be put to shame. MTSU is actually expecting a sellout for this game. It will definitely be close to capacity.

I forgot to mention that it's also a Welcome Week activity for the freshman and their families and the Greeks will already be recruiting. It will be full.

Your luck with thinking that only 40% of the stadium will be filled might be put to shame. MTSU is actually expecting a sellout for this game. It will definitely be close to capacity.

If you read my original post it says you average 40% vacancy not 60%. There are plenty of tickets for sale. I don't think MTSU matches the 28k they had for Memphis last year.

You're making some pretty baseless assumptions there fella. We may not top the 28,105 we had for Memphis last year, I'm confident we'll at least come close, but there's no way(barring a torrential downpour) that we have less than 25,000 for that game.

1) There is not a rivalry between us and Memphis, we've played them twice in the last three years and the last time we played them before that was in the 50's. They brought a pretty fair amount of fans, but no more than two or three thousand.

2) Our season opener is almost always our largest attendance for the year and this is by far the biggest season opener we've had any time recently.

3) National broadcasts are a rarity in Murfreesboro

4) The game falls on the fourth day of normal classes. The freshman will have been on campus for less than a week.

5) In regards to our attendance falling off at the end of the year, it happens every year because the residents of Murfreesboro are accustomed to us being bad and playing meaningless games at the end of the season, it's habit. I'm sure many of the people who stayed home last year weren't even aware of how good we were doing. We should see a boost in attendance from our strong finish last year, to start the season this year.

If you're expecting no more than 60% of capacity, you're going to be in for a big surprise come game time. Personally I think we'll top the mark set by the Memphis game last year, but if we fall short, it won't be by much.

I have never visited "worldstadiums.com". Figured I'd check it out when I saw where that picture came from. On my way to seeing what their coverage of TCF Bank Stadium looked like, I got sidetracked by the fact they list 5 Stadiums in Greenland. Check out the fancy 2,000 capacity Nuuk Stadium in Greenland:

nuuk_football.jpg

FYI, I have been a worldstadiums.com geek for many years. They had no info on TCF Bank Stadium, even in the "Future Stadiums" section, throuigh mid-2009. I sent finally them the info for TCF Bank Stadium right before it opened last fall, and the editor gladly published.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadiu...united_states/minnesota/minneapolis_tcf.shtml

The lesson: REMAIN VIGILANT, Gopher Fans!

This is a season opener for a team with very high expectations...I'm sure it will be packed. At least that homefield advantage due to the heat they supposedly practice in is nullified.

I didn't mean it as a slam to MTSU. I'm sure it will be a fun atmosphere. I was more trying to get at the intimidation factor. Minnesota is used to playing on the road at stadiums with 50-100k fans so 25k fans shouldn't have as much of an affect.

This stadium is going to be PACKED! Not only because it's a nationally televised game, but because Basil will be in the house. That's right, Basil will be there . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvaeHllwtw&feature=player_embedded

Are you serious?!?! If he really is there, my life will be complete. I know people think he's a joke and find it hilarious, but I feel sorry for the guy. Obviously something is wrong with him. I work with the mentally disabled and I believe he definitely is, but you can't help but love him! I will truly have a smile from ear to ear if I get to meet this guy! You just made my day!:clap:

I didn't mean it as a slam to MTSU. I'm sure it will be a fun atmosphere. I was more trying to get at the intimidation factor. Minnesota is used to playing on the road at stadiums with 50-100k fans so 25k fans shouldn't have as much of an affect.

I think we'll meet the 30K limit. It might only be 30K but I promise, we're a LOUD 30K.

Don't underestimate the intensity of a fired up, small crowd in those intimate settings, it can be a factor. But yeah, it doesn't compare to playing in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Happy Valley, which the Gophers do on a yearly basis. It shouldn't be the determining factor IMO.

Don't underestimate the intensity of a fired up, small crowd in those intimate settings, it can be a factor. But yeah, it doesn't compare to playing in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Happy Valley, which the Gophers do on a yearly basis. It shouldn't be the determining factor IMO.

It definitely won't be the determining factor, but you're also not just going to hear crickets during the game. The student section, which is VERY close to the visitors section :D, will be extremely loud. As far as the other side of the stadium, that contains all of the 1930's alumni, I mean you can't really expect too much noise from them.

How's that?

Obviously, you don't know what the weather has been like in Minneapolis.

Highs in the 90s almost every day since practice started. Brewster even commented how this will help us in the 1st game.

Obviously, you don't know what the weather has been like in Minneapolis.

Highs in the 90s almost every day since practice started. Brewster even commented how this will help us in the 1st game.

That's great that it's been in the 90's but you have to also remember that the South has a humidity like none other. It is a sticky, muggy humidity on top of the hot weather. I used to work for a hotel and in MAY, we had 2 men from New Mexico pass out and claim that they couldn't breathe due to our humidity. If Minnesota just has hot weather, it's way different than the hot weather the South experiences. It's 99 here today but the dew points are way up and it will probably feel more like 107. The actual heat wouldn't be different. The humidity, on the other hand, definitely would.

That's great that it's been in the 90's but you have to also remember that the South has a humidity like none other. It is a sticky, muggy humidity on top of the hot weather. I used to work for a hotel and in MAY, we had 2 men from New Mexico pass out and claim that they couldn't breathe due to our humidity. If Minnesota just has hot weather, it's way different than the hot weather the South experiences. It's 99 here today but the dew points are way up and it will probably feel more like 107. The actual heat wouldn't be different. The humidity, on the other hand, definitely would.

Uh...no. We were at mid 90's with dewpoints in the 70's and a heat index of 105-106. It is ignorant to think that humidity (dew point) levels are different depending on where you are. The heat+relative humidity factor is exactly the same. We have the same heat/humidity issues in Minnesota, but for shorter periods of the year due to our lattitude.

From Monday Tribune: "In the Twin Cities Sunday, dewpoints in the 70s, as high as any in the continental United States in the afternoon, produced a "feels like" factor of 102 degrees. That wasn't as high as the 106 registered on July 14, when the dewpoint of 78 was the highest in three years."

Not way different, same. Heat plus humidity is the same heat index no matter where you are.

Many people are ignorant of Minnesota weather. Yeah, we have a lot of snow and some days of real cold in the winter, but March-October is the same as a lot of the country...

New Mexicans are pussies.

New Mexico has very little humidity. We on the other hand have had dew points in the upper 70's the past week to go with the temps in the 90's which typically puts the heat index well over 100.

Forget about weather: Tennessee is a glorified Iowa

Been to both states - the redneck factor is off the charts.

Tennessee comes no where close to Minnesota, but a better comparison is Iowa. I did my own redneck comparison between the two states - it's uncomfortably close

4-year public universities: TN 7 IA 3
Mobile Homes: TN 12.5% IA 7.5%
NASCAR Tracks: TN 2 IA 1
K-12 Public Schools test scores vs. National Average: TN below IA slightly above
Mullets (personal observation): Tie
Hot Women (with teeth): This one is not even close....Tennessee is a winner hands down

Been to both states - the redneck factor is off the charts.

Tennessee comes no where close to Minnesota, but a better comparison is Iowa. I did my own redneck comparison between the two states - it's uncomfortably close

4-year public universities: TN 7 IA 3
Mobile Homes: TN 12.5% IA 7.5%
NASCAR Tracks: TN 2 IA 1
K-12 Public Schools test scores vs. National Average: TN below IA slightly above
Mullets (personal observation): Tie
Hot Women (with teeth): This one is not even close....Tennessee is a winner hands down

Miss USA
Tennessee 2 2000 2007
Minnesota 1 1976
Iowa 1 1956

Miss America
Tennessee 2
Minnesota 3
Iowa 0

I was just in California a few weeks ago and it was 99, 100. Didn't feel a thing. Came back home that week, and it was 93, but the dew point was in the mid 70s, heat index about 102, 103 or so. Feels COMPLETELY different. That west coast heat is nothing like stuff east of the Rockies. Minnesota gets the humidity just like the south. As noted, we've had some heat indexes getting up near 110 in the past week. Is it quite the same as Tennessee? Probably not in sheer air temperature, but the humidity is pretty much the same. And also, the game is also being played at 7:30 in the evening, not 2:00. I doubt we'll see temps higher than 100 at that time of the evening/night. They just need to make sure they hydrate themselves well throughout the day and they'll be fine.

We have heat and humidity here, this has been a pretty humid summer in Minnesota. I think the MTSU fans are under the impression that we live in permafrost.

from my time in the South I have discovered one thing...

We have heat and humidity here, this has been a pretty humid summer in Minnesota. I think the MTSU fans are under the impression that we live in permafrost.

They are convinced that we live above the Arctic Circle, and are in fact Canadian citizens.

This is not true. The only difference is you have more hot/humid days and the sun intensity is stronger due to being closer to the equator. It gets just as humid here as anywhere in the south, but for not as many days.

Top Bottom