Expect a 40% empty Floyd Stadium @ Middle Tennessee State

By the way, I'm done talking about weather. I just thought I would throw out those few little "facts" about August so maybe you guys won't think it's 88 here everyday since weather.com says so.

^^^ Still doesn't understand averages

^^^Still doesn't understand that I DO understand averages. (Hence why I listed the average for August) Also, doesn't understand the concept of humidity. But we'll leave it at that.

BTW, I found some good posts about MTSU that I listed if you guys wanna read. They don't pick winners, but they do list some characteristics you can expect to see on Sept. 2. I thought they were interesting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2010/08/2010-sun-belt-conference-preview.html

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204975622

(Hence why I listed the average for August) Also, doesn't understand the concept of humidity. But we'll leave it at that.

^^^doesn't understand that posting a month-to-date average for August has absolutely zero to do with September 2

^^^doesn't understand that weekly/monthly/annual averages have an infinitesimal correlation with the average for any given day

^^^doesn't understand that temperature and humidity are completely independent of each other

I'm pretty sure dance4raiders understands averages. Those average temperatures you are looking at include all average highs since they started recording them (probably the past 100 years or so). The 10 warmest years on record in the US all came in the past 12 years, so a more accurate average would be taking the past 10 or 15 years highs. I'm pretty sure that would be higher than 86. Not that a few degrees will matter come gametime.

By the way, I'm done talking about weather. I just thought I would throw out those few little "facts" about August so maybe you guys won't think it's 88 here everyday since weather.com says so.

We're just having some fun with your stubbornness. We get it, you're trying to say it's going to be really hot and humid for a Sept. 2nd game. What we're trying to say is that our players are used to it, being that pretty much all of our roster is from MN, WI, FL, and TX (all places that get hot and humid). And yes, we realize that TN stays hot and humid for longer than MN.

Take, July 14th of this year for example (see attached images).

Regardless of the weather I think it will be a pretty evenly matched game and I don't think the Gophers are underestimating MTSU at all.

Attachments

• 07-14-10-htindexmap.jpg
    07-14-10-htindexmap.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 07-14-10-dewptmap.jpg
    07-14-10-dewptmap.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 12

Good article - Bad content.

BTW, I found some good posts about MTSU that I listed if you guys wanna read. They don't pick winners, but they do list some characteristics you can expect to see on Sept. 2. I thought they were interesting.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2010/08/2010-sun-belt-conference-preview.html

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204975622

I pulled up the Orlando Sentinal article; they had credibility until they said this about Dasher, "If Dwight Dasher was playing in a BCS conference, we would be talking about him as a Heisman Trophy candidate."

Come on.... If Dwight Dasher were playing in a real conference, he wouldn't even be starting. Did you see what Clemson did to him? You cannot tell me he would be an upper tier Big Ten quarterback, much less a Heisman Trophy candidate.

We're just having some fun with your stubbornness.

And your tendency to get really defensive really quick. I kind of suck at that let's all be friends and live like large purple dinosaurs.

TBH: Please keep replying. I get to send you posts back to my family in TN, and needle them some :D.

I pulled up the Orlando Sentinal article; they had credibility until they said this about Dasher, "If Dwight Dasher was playing in a BCS conference, we would be talking about him as a Heisman Trophy candidate."

Come on.... If Dwight Dasher were playing in a real conference, he wouldn't even be starting. Did you see what Clemson did to him? You cannot tell me he would be an upper tier Big Ten quarterback, much less a Heisman Trophy candidate.

To be fair, he was named to the Walter Camp watch list. He is the biggest concern for this game. Period. Paragraph.

Dasher has the most rushing yards by a QB in a bowl game... ever. Wanna rethink that? The guy is unstoppable. Clemson ran over him, yes... but that was his first game as a starting QB. When he set that record for the rushing yards in a bowl game in Dec. he was injured...twice. He literally wouldn't back down. The guy has talent. I was reading today that one of our freshman may replace D.D. Kyles as running back. His name is Whatley and he's being compared to Desmond Gee, who was an amazing player for MT. Whatley has also reportedly ran a 4.31, 40 yard dash. Pretty impressive for a freshman.

Most ever rushing yards by a QB in a bowl game... against the team Sagarin rates as #77 in the nation.

I've never seen people get so bent out of shape about weather. It appears that MTSU fans are basing most of their hopes on the Gophers being unable to cope with the weather that they get irate when anyone calls them on this. You haven't just made a point about the weather, you've attacked their hopes and dreams.

While MTSU is busy patting themselves on the back, we'll be busy playing football.

We're not basing anything on weather. I just hope the Minnesota players are hydrated since apparently it will cool by it being a night game. Hate to see anyone get hurt. I also think Minnesota is underrating MTSU. Which is fine. Southern Miss and Maryland did the same thing. And who cares if Dasher played #77 Southern Miss to get most rushing yards in a bowl game?!? He still got the record... By the way, as far as rankings go right now. MTSU is #58. Minnesota is #67. And Southern Miss, they're #66...ouch. Here's stats below on Southern Miss too.

43rd for Passing
33rd for Rushing
18th for Points For
62nd for Points Against

Compared to Minny:
76th for Passing
111th for Rushing
100th for Points For
51st for Points Against

Looks like Dasher set that record with a team that seems to be a little better than Minnesota.

My buddy ran a 4.3 and played WR for East Carolina. Ever heard of him? No...probably not. You need more than speed.

And Minnesota will need more than beef. I don't think Minnesota matches up in speed with MTSU and I don't think MTSU matches up in beef with Minnesota.

I don't think Minnesota matches up in speed with MTSU

Wow. Just when I think this thread is dying down, you keep making it entertaining.

I know you don't know who the Common Man is (local radio personality), but I would like to nominate you for his "preposterous statement of the year" award.

If this were a track meet, Minnesota would absolutely destroy MTSU. Not only is MTSU smaller, they are also not as fast (certain athletes excepted.) Luckily for MTSU, this will be a football game, and they can win based on execution, cohesiveness, experience, etc. They will not win based on superior strength, size, athleticism, speed, quickness, etc., because they have none of those things.

Wow. Just when I think this thread is dying down, you keep making it entertaining.

I know you don't know who the Common Man is (local radio personality), but I would like to nominate you for his "preposterous statement of the year" award.

If this were a track meet, Minnesota would absolutely destroy MTSU. Not only is MTSU smaller, they are also not as fast (certain athletes excepted.) Luckily for MTSU, this will be a football game, and they can win based on execution, cohesiveness, experience, etc. They will not win based on superior strength, size, athleticism, speed, quickness, etc., because they have none of those things.

exactly....this is why they were recruited by brew to play big ten football. Like you said though, cohesiveness, experience, and execution all play a big role in the outcome of the game.

Pretty much this. If this were 2007, I'd agree with you 100% about not matching up with speed. Being that this is 2010, and Brewster has recruited, if nothing else, speed and athleticism, I completely disagree. If they execute reasonably well (and that's a kind of big "if" offensively) MTSU won't be able to hang around. If the offense executes like it did last season, then this game will at minimum be close, and an MTSU victory wouldn't surprise me in the least. But it won't be the speed that does it IMO.

We're not underestimating MTSU, it's the other way around. And a good number of MTSU fans are in fact banking on the heat and humidity being impossible for Minnesota to cope with - for a time, there was daily weather comparisons between MTSU and Minnesota on the Blue Raiders board.

We're not underestimating MTSU, it's the other way around. And a good number of MTSU fans are in fact banking on the heat and humidity being impossible for Minnesota to cope with - for a time, there was daily weather comparisons between MTSU and Minnesota on the Blue Raiders board.

We're not banking on the heat. Will it be a small factor? Yes, I think it will. Your Gophers are on the road for their first game, in a new and unknown place, and having to deal with different heat and humidity. Will it be the main factor to determine the game? No. And MTSU is definitely not underestimating the Gophers. Kind of hard to underestimate a Big 10 team when you're in the SunBelt. Now if you were in the C-USA, then yes, we would definitely underestimate you. Stockstill never underestimates any team. Look at the New Orleans Bowl. He treated that like it was the National Championship game. Does MTSU think we have a good chance of winning? Yes, because we're favored to win and we've noticed that Weber tends to have a rough time against blitz oriented defenses with good secondaries. It won't be the end of the world for MTSU if we lose though. We can still make it another 10 win season after you. I just think some Gopher fans look at MTSU as being a "small" school that you should trample over and not taking the first game seriously. Like many other posts mention, this game is a big deal. It will set the bar for expectations from both teams.

Perhaps you personally aren't banking on the heat, but there are in fact a lot of MTSU fans who are in fact banking on it, I've seen their posts. I can assure you, we're taking this game very seriously.

"They will not win based on superior strength, size, athleticism, speed, quickness, etc., because they have none of those things."- Wow. All you can do all this board is bash me and then you screw up. MTSU does not have speed, quickness, or athleticism?!? HAHAHA. Hold on. Give me a sec to laugh at your ridiculous comment before I can finish typing.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

OK.... check the stats on our rushing sweetheart. You don't get 26th in the nation in rushing by being slow. But I guess Minnesota is fast with that 111th ranking in rushing yards last year. And as far as athleticism goes, check out Dasher, who has been the main talk of this game. Minnesota apparently thinks he's the ONLY threat, but I hate to tell you that he's not. While you're at it, check out Whatley (my freshman who ran a 4.31 in the 40 yd dash), D.D. Kyles, Jamari Lattimore, Mark Fisher, and Phillip Tanner.

Perhaps you personally aren't banking on the heat, but there are in fact a lot of MTSU fans who are in fact banking on it, I've seen their posts. I can assure you, we're taking this game very seriously.

I just don't see how Minnesota could be taking this game seriously when you think MTSU's only threat is Dasher. Is he the only player you guys are preparing for?

I just don't see how Minnesota could be taking this game seriously when you think MTSU's only threat is Dasher. Is he the only player you guys are preparing for?

Will you go away if we admit we aren't taking MTSU seriously? Secretly the coaches have moved on to the USC game as they feel they have Dasher under control.

What are you even basing that on? A few nimrods on this board?

If the Gophers played the same schedule that MTSU did, our rushing game would look pretty good too. We'd never crow about beating the #97 and #77 teams. Those are games that are embarrassing if we don't win them. Our weakest opponent was #101 South Dakota State. It was embarrassing that we only beat them 16-13. SDSU would be the third best team in the Sun Belt. So, please, talk all you want about running all over us. We've faced some potent offenses before.

We are taking this game seriously. I don't see the same from MTSU fans. There are posts from MTSU fans talking looking ahead to not just beating Minnesota, but running the score up on Minnesota. I see posters sneering at the SEC.

I will ask Coach Brewster when I speak to him, but I am relatively certain he is preparing the team for an 11 against 1 scenario.

We're not banking on the heat. Will it be a small factor? Yes, I think it will. Your Gophers are on the road for their first game, in a new and unknown place, and having to deal with different heat and humidity. Will it be the main factor to determine the game? No. And MTSU is definitely not underestimating the Gophers. Kind of hard to underestimate a Big 10 team when you're in the SunBelt. Now if you were in the C-USA, then yes, we would definitely underestimate you. Stockstill never underestimates any team. Look at the New Orleans Bowl. He treated that like it was the National Championship game. Does MTSU think we have a good chance of winning? Yes, because we're favored to win and we've noticed that Weber tends to have a rough time against blitz oriented defenses with good secondaries. It won't be the end of the world for MTSU if we lose though. We can still make it another 10 win season after you. I just think some Gopher fans look at MTSU as being a "small" school that you should trample over and not taking the first game seriously. Like many other posts mention, this game is a big deal. It will set the bar for expectations from both teams.

A couple points:

- I would guess that Stockstill treated the New Orleans Bowl like the National Championship because that is as close as a Sun Belt team can get to the NC game.

- you think some Gopher fans look at MTSu as being a "small" school that the Gophers should trample over and not taking the first game seriously. Let me clarify. ALL Gopher fans should look at MTSU as being a small school that the Gophers should trample over. But, the Gopher football programs is not at the point where we'd like it to be. Any knowledgeable Gopher fan is taking the game seriously. Due to the state of the Gopher program right now, when aligned with an MTSU squad that is at the high water mark in terms of their own potential: defeat is a very real possibility, and that is of course a concern. As Gopher fans, we'd like to see our team in a position where we don't have to sweat the outcome of game against a top tier team from the Sunbelt. Unfortunately, the Gopher program is not in that place today. I think you are mixing up a couple things and incorrectly arriving at the conclusion that Gopher fans (and perhaps the team) are somehow overlooking a team that is favored to beat them.

He's the only one I'm preparing for. My day job and wife keep me from investing time to game plan for the rest of the team.

Top Bottom