Exhibition Game Tonight: Cardinal Stritch

Yes it's way early, but if you can't make FT's - you can't win in the Big Ten. Poor Oto was throwing bricks at the FT line...wtf? Can't say the rest of the team was any better. Coach looks and acts like his dad. Arms crossed walking up and down the court. No stool. A folding chair. Didn't see him sitting once. He's in the players face during timeouts. Just like his dad. This should get interesting.

Let's hope he has success like his Dad

Got out rebounded 40-34, that's definitely the most troubling stat of the night.

Yes it's way early, but if you can't make FT's - you can't win in the Big Ten. Poor Oto was throwing bricks at the FT line...wtf? Can't say the rest of the team was any better. Coach looks and acts like his dad. Arms crossed walking up and down the court. No stool. A folding chair. Didn't see him sitting once. He's in the players face during timeouts. Just like his dad. This should get interesting.

It will be nice to have a coaching staff with a pulse. All to often, Tubby and co. looked like a funeral director and a pack of pallbearers. Safe to say Andre and Austin weren't tossing the ball around the perimeter for 20-30 seconds looking for a perfect time to dump it into the post?

Got out rebounded 40-34, that's definitely the most troubling stat of the night.

Like I mentioned before, Joey King HAS to step up in that department along with Austin to a lesser extent.

Matheiu looked good. Nice to have a creator on the floor. I agree that both Big Mo and EE will be ok, but it would be nice if Joey King was a stronger boarder. Buggs isn't there yet. OTOH - King might be able to score a bit from the FT area with jump shots and make passes to cutting guards ... So let's see how this early season plays out. More positive than negative at this point. I like Pitino's energy. So different from the past few years.

Like I mentioned before, Joey King HAS to step up in that department along with Austin to a lesser extent.

Austin definitely has to also. Can't have so little out of your 3 and 4 in that department.

Looking forward to Pitinos blog entry :)

Seriously? An "insider" like you, with a "massively popular" blog is whoring out for some free tix to an exhibition game?

Seriously?

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Really? Quite the childish response... Not sure what he has done to some of you, but I've never felt like GW is as pompous as you all make it seem....

The good tonight - Hollins, Hollins, Matheau, Mo and King... Is Otto a basket case or what? Eliott needs to look for his shot more... Wally - defense??? I think we go 7 deep and for G. sake make some free throws!!!

Really? Quite the childish response... Not sure what he has done to some of you, but I've never felt like GW is as pompous as you all make it seem....

His vendetta against Trevor was one of the more annoying aspects of GH for a while. Now that Trevor isn't here any more he isn't nearly as bad.

The good tonight - Hollins, Hollins, Matheau, Mo and King... Is Otto a basket case or what? Eliott needs to look for his shot more... Wally - defense??? I think we go 7 deep and for G. sake make some free throws!!!

You can't go 7 deep in this system. While Malik didn't necessarily light it up, he played the press very well, had at least a few steals.

-Defense looked pretty bad in the 2nd half.
-Size is a big concern for me. We don't have anyone that appears to want to bang - rebounding inside could get ugly.
-Mo had some nice post moves.
-Austin looked great, particularly in the first half.
-Mathieu continued what we saw at the scrimmage. Very good in transition offense.
-Rebounders/guys who stole the ball looked and moved the ball up the floor immediately
-Buggs looked lost. Watched him in warm ups and he was doing some weird, out-of-control up-and-under stuff during the layup drill, missing badly.
-23 on Stritch dropped 29.

The second half featured extended time w/Oto and Mav together. Hopefully Pitino has seen all needs to of that.
Mo looks amazing! like a new man and can move like he has never done before.
Joey King reminds us of Dusty Rychart. It'll be fun to watch him.

Oh Otto...

Ha. Funny enough, in the pre-game program thing they put out, Oto was humorously referred to as Oto "Otto" Osenieks. He missed a couple of dunks, as well as free throws, but everyone was missing free throws tonight. Hopefully they got it out of their system and can hit them at a decent rate in games that count.

Really liking Dre Mathieu so far, he'll probably be one of our biggest contributors and a likely starter.

This tweet was funny:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BrickByBrick&src=hash">#BrickByBrick</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/FSNtylermason">@FSNtylermason</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> are now 3-for-15 from the free throw line. Oof.</p>— Johnna Linn Mitich (@JohnnaMitich) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnnaMitich/statuses/396447655879905280">November 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This tweet was funny: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BrickByBrick&src=hash">#BrickByBrick</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/FSNtylermason">@FSNtylermason</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> are now 3-for-15 from the free throw line. Oof.</p>— Johnna Linn Mitich (@JohnnaMitich) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnnaMitich/statuses/396447655879905280">November 2, 2013</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> Go Gophers!!

That was Corbu Stathes line during the broadcast. I had a good laugh too.

Good call, I see some similarities. He needs to rebound like Dusty....
I hope so too. But I liked his assists (6?), one in particular where he made an appropriate extra pass. Quick, accurate put backs - a skill we've lacked.

FT% is irrelevant and of no concern.

Mo looked like he was having fun - great to see. He's got some hands and touch offensively that Eliason does not. EE may be the better defender, Mo the better offensive guy. EE's ceiling is lower than Walker's.. hope Mo stays healthy and kicks some butt. He can help with offensive rebounds and scoring inside - there are not a lot of guys who can do much in those areas.

Ultimately though.. this team is going to have to shoot well to win. (Field goals, that is. Free throw percentage - if it's 64% or 74%, not a big deal either way.)

Dre
Dre
Austin
Oto
EE

Mo
Joey
Malik
------------------------------------------
The main player rotation????????????

I'm really excited about the possibility of Mathieu being our starting PG. Sounds like a great distributor who will have 2 awesome wing options to dish to. His quickness and ball-handling certainly help his chances to become a legit starting PG. Someone who saw to the game tonight: How is Mathieu's defense?

I would be shocked if Mathieu wasn't a full time starter for the rest of the season. He is the first true point guard we have had since Al Nolen.

Oto was Oto, very frustrating. He does provide more strength than King and will be needed.

I just can't see Wally every being much of a contributer at this level.

Ha. Funny enough, in the pre-game program thing they put out, Oto was humorously referred to as Oto "Otto" Osenieks. He missed a couple of dunks, as well as free throws, but everyone was missing free throws tonight. Hopefully they got it out of their system and can hit them at a decent rate in games that count.

Really liking Dre Mathieu so far, he'll probably be one of our biggest contributors and a likely starter.

Ryan James said Oto played a good all-round, floor game despite missing those ducks.

King and Mathieu looked good. Oto has to do more. What was the story with Buggs not playing in the 1st half? Is he that far behind or was it punishment for something? Whether he's ready or not, we'll need some minutes from him at the 4. McNeil looks like he may be headed for a red-shirt? And despite what our resident expert says, the FT shooting will be the death of us in the B1G. I pray it's all uphill in that department.

Heeeeeyooooooohhh!

I trust Ryan's opinion over anyone else in the TC basketball scene. He understands all the little things like positioning, team defense, screening, ball rotation, etc. A player can have a bad night shooting free throws (didn't they all?) & still contribute. What am I missing?

Ryan's actual quote (note: this was still in the 1st half)

"Oto Osenieks continues his free throw struggles missing two more. That said, he 's played a nice floor game actively moving on both ends."

Top Bottom