ESPN: Grand Valley State suspends OC Morris Berger for wanting meal with Adolf Hitler

It was a mistake for him to voice his interests in a public forum when it can be blasted to the ends of the earth in seconds. Dumb thing to say great leader (should have said persuasive) considering he was apparently a history major and should have knowledge of scads of interesting historical figures over millennia and he chose...Hitler.

That said, millions of people apparently find psychopaths interesting. There are entire tv channels devoted to crimes, primarily murder, and their investigation. Scads of documentaries on serial killers, the Nazi regime, Hitler. What were their daily lives like? How did they fool everyone? I just wasted 3 hrs of my life last weekend watching a bio-doc of a psychopath football player.

The problem with censorship and the doxxing movement( I suspect MJ’s concern) is someone may even call another person extolling Kobe’s virtues a misogynist due to his history of an out of court rape settlement. How can one support a rapist (or insert XYZ)? There was indeed a journalist that went off on Kobe minutes after his death...be careful out there. They could come after you some day.

It was a mistake for him to voice his interests in a public forum when it can be blasted to the ends of the earth in seconds. Dumb thing to say great leader (should have said persuasive) considering he was apparently a history major and should have knowledge of scads of interesting historical figures over millennia and he chose...Hitler.

That said, millions of people apparently find psychopaths interesting. There are entire tv channels devoted to crimes, primarily murder, and their investigation. Scads of documentaries on serial killers, the Nazi regime, Hitler. What were their daily lives like? How did they fool everyone? I just wasted 3 hrs of my life last weekend watching a bio-doc of a psychopath football player.

The problem with censorship and the doxxing movement( I suspect MJ’s concern) is someone may even call another person extolling Kobe’s virtues a misogynist due to his history of an out of court rape settlement. How can one support a rapist (or insert XYZ)? There was indeed a journalist that went off on Kobe minutes after his death...be careful out there. They could come after you some day.
These are only dilemmas if pure logic is the only basis allowed.

Humans are better than that. We’re able to make subjective judgements using emotions, feelings, and instincts.

Therefore, it is allowed, right, and correct in my opinion that public sentiment can be the decider in such situations, where logic alone fails.

mjfelton15 is banned.

How ironic?

Curious what got him banned. He was basically alone in his stance on this topic but I didn't see anything in his posts that should have led to a banning.

Curious what got him banned. He was basically alone in his stance on this topic but I didn't see anything in his posts that should have led to a banning.
Not sure either. I am not sure that banning helps this situation. It might firm his resolve. Especially if he did not actually have bigoted thoughts. He may have truly been wrestling with some issues. I have no idea. I do not disagree with the ban. I just think that the ban will only make him more passionate about his stance.

I certainly didn't agree with his take here, but I don't think it deserved a ban.

Not sure either. I am not sure that banning helps this situation. It might firm his resolve. Especially if he did not actually have bigoted thoughts. He may have truly been wrestling with some issues. I have no idea. I do not disagree with the ban. I just think that the ban will only make him more passionate about his stance.
I would have been happy to give him a history lesson. However, at one point he stated he had read a lot about Hitler so my guess is actual history might not have fit well within the world he has created.

I'm not sure we actually know what got him banned. Such things aren't always as simple as their last posts.

Yeah, my guess is it probably has to do with something said in a private message or something along those lines. Have seen way worse than anything he posted in this thread go unbanned so can't believe it was for anything he said publicly in this thread.

He was issued a temporary ban not for his views defending the coach's comments on Hitler's leadership, but for telling other posters to "fuck off" and calling a poster a "fucking idiot." Those are not appropriate posts.

He was issued a temporary ban not for his views defending the coach's comments on Hitler's leadership, but for telling other posters to "fuck off" and calling a poster a "fucking idiot." Those are not appropriate posts.
Fair. FWIW I don't think he had bad intentions with the message he was trying to get across, just picked a really bad time to take a stance on the issue of censoring people.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Why couldn't he pick someone like George Washington? He was a true leader in all sense of the word.

By the time of Washington's death in 1799 his slave population had increased to 317 people, including 143 children. Of that total, he owned124, leased 40 and controlled 153 dower slaves.

Thanks for informing us. Obviously you didn't have to. I assumed it was for good reason that it was done.

By the time of Washington's death in 1799 his slave population had increased to 317 people, including 143 children. Of that total, he owned124, leased 40 and controlled 153 dower slaves.
The lack of systematically killing whole populations still probabbly makes him a better choice.

Are we really going down this road?
All of our founding fathers had this issue (especially Thomas Jefferson). This is taught is history lessons and on tours of their property. People do not deny this. For some reason, people still deny the existence of genocide in WWII/the nazi regime. It is unfortunate how the education system has failed so many (or so many failed in understanding the value of being a reasonable student/human being).

No one has claimed all the world’s leaders of the past have been free of fault. This probably holds true to today’s presidents.

You brought this up without prompting. I hope you are not pro Hitler and anti George Washington and promote revisionist history.

Hitler is without question one of the most deservedly vilified persons in history, but it looks like our PC police are at it again. This is nothing new in academia. They like to manage what can be said and show little tolerance for contrary views, especially, as here, they are repugnant to our basic values. Let the guy have his say and attack him with words and logic, not discipline.

Are we really going down this road?
All of our founding fathers had this issue (especially Thomas Jefferson). This is taught is history lessons and on tours of their property. People do not deny this. For some reason, people still deny the existence of genocide in WWII/the nazi regime. It is unfortunate how the education system has failed so many (or so many failed in understanding the value of being a reasonable student/human being).

No one has claimed all the world’s leaders of the past have been free of fault. This probably holds true to today’s presidents.

You brought this up without prompting. I hope you are not pro Hitler and anti George Washington and promote revisionist history.

Not all.Founding Fathers

Ownership of slaves and position on slavery[edit]

Portrait of George Washington and his valet slave William Lee
See also: George Washington and slavery and Thomas Jefferson and slavery
The founding fathers were not unified on the issue of slavery. In her study of Thomas Jefferson, historian Annette Gordon-Reed discusses this topic, "Others of the founders held slaves, but no other founder drafted the charter for freedom".[38] In addition to Jefferson, George Washington, John Jay and many other of the Founding Fathers practiced slavery but were also conflicted by the institution which many saw as immoral and politically divisive.[39] Conversely, many founders such as Samuel Adams and John Adams were against slavery their entire lives. Benjamin Rush wrote a pamphlet in 1773 which harshly condemned slavery and beseeched the colonists to petition the king and put an end to the British African Company of Merchants which kept slavery and the slave trade going. The Continental Association of 1774 contains a clause[40] severely limiting the slave trade as part of the general boycott of British trade.[41][42][43]

Hitler is without question one of the most deservedly vilified persons in history, but it looks like our PC police are at it again. This is nothing new in academia. They like to manage what can be said and show little tolerance for contrary views, especially, as here, they are repugnant to our basic values. Let the guy have his say and attack him with words and logic, not discipline.
Read the post from the Gopherhole staff above.

Dear MJFelton Jr. - I disagree. Are you going to blame academia if it puts a stop to the coach when he decides to further his point on the first day of practice by wearing a nazi arm band? How about if his contrary views include agreement with death camp commanders and wants to declare their virtues daily in the campus cafeteria? See, if you actually understand how Hitler went about his business, the "good" stuff and "evil" stuff are nearly impossible to separate, and that is what makes this coach outside the lines. As several others have said, he has a right to his own opinions and he can stand on a mountain top and voice his agreement with Hitler, but his employer also can also have a say in this - and they are doing what I would do.

Edit: Who is "the guy" you refer to? The coach, or the guy spouting off on how the coach should be able to do this? My response is based on my assumption you are referring to the coach.

The lack of systematically killing whole populations still probabbly makes him a better choice.

While I get your point and somewhat agree, that could be debated. Especially since the system that allowed slavery labeled and considered the enslaved population as partial/ sub-human.

Patrick Henry

Mods-Maybe time to lock this thread or move to the off topic board?

Mods-Maybe time to lock this thread or move to the off topic board?

Hold on man I'm not done here...

233313fc41ee3a63_tumblr_mgdqksNdiZ1ro7sbfo1_400.gif.xxxlarge.gif

It wasn’t brought up without prompting as I had quoted somebody’s prior comment. And although Hitler and Washington seemingly cannot be compared in the same realm of evil I was just showing that even a historical figure portrayed as good or pure can still be viewed as a villain of sorts if you look into their past.

Top Bottom