ESPN: Grand Valley State suspends OC Morris Berger for wanting meal with Adolf Hitler

You might have a different opinion if you were Jewish.
Probably wouldn’t. I don’t let words offend me very easily. It might have something to do with maturity, and just letting people have their own opinions without thinking they need to be silenced and/or punished.

He had every right to say what he did. And the University had every right to suspend him for it. He is a public figure who publicly made a statement praising the leadership abilities of the man responsible for the extermination of millions of Jews.

This. You have the freedom to say whatever you want. There may be consequences including losing your job.

Ill add this: Everyone else has the freedom to ridicule you and think you are an idiot.

If you're a coach and you don't think you're representing the school giving an interview ... also probabbly a good reason not to have the job.
Never said he’s not representing the school to some degree. I think head coaches are far more in the representative role than a coordinator, but that’s beside the point. I’m saying he was hired to be a coach. If he’s doing a good job of doing his job, then don’t suspend or fire him. Tell him he’s not going to be doing interviews anymore, have a sit down with him and let him know the university doesn’t approve of that stance, and move on.

You seem somewhat offended right now.
Not offended at all. Irritated with people that overreact to such stupid things. His comments have zero bearing on anything in life at all. Did he resurrect Hitler with his words? Did he openly support killing Jews? If you read what he actually said, what impact does that have on anyone at all? Fake outrage is all this is.

Not offended at all. Irritated with people that overreact to such stupid things. His comments have zero bearing on anything in life at all. Did he resurrect Hitler with his words? Did he openly support killing Jews? If you read what he actually said, what impact does that have on anyone at all? Fake outrage is all this is.
Fake outrage is very real. I'll give you that.
You are wrong on this instance though. Visit the Holocaust museum in Washington DC. Nobody sane should be praising Hitler for his leadership skills.

I challenge you to give me one leadership decision Hitler did that should be praised

Glad we're having a lively discussion on Inter national holocaust remembrance day, celebrated each Jan 27. I'm an advocate of free speech but refuse to embrace ignorance. The idiot coach whose comments prompted today's discussion will be eventually dismissed by grand valley. He deserves it.

Fake outrage is very real. I'll give you that.
You are wrong on this instance though. Visit the Holocaust museum in Washington DC. Nobody sane should be praising Hitler for his leadership skills.

I challenge you to give me one leadership decision Hitler did that should be praised
His ability to rally people to his side. That requires skills. That is undeniable. you need to be a good speaker, and you need to be convincing, to do what he did. I couldn’t get 10 people to march down the street with me to protect clean water. He rallied an entire military into supporting him, and then got them to do something horrendous. You can be an evil person, and still be good at what you do. His “leadership decisions” are not what was being praised. Just as the coach didn’t praise any specific decisions of Hitler, I can’t list any either. None of the decisions were good. The coach specifically noted what he was praising. I know what he meant. Definitely nothing to do with the holocaust. He was only praising the way Hitler was able to rally people to his side. Like I’ve stated a couple times already, I wouldn’t have said what the coach said. But I get what he meant. He said it wouldn’t be reviewed well, and he was totally right. People did what he predicted they would do, misunderstand and overreact. People do this all the time, they take a comment made by someone and put their own spin on it. It went from him saying Hitler rallied people around him well, to this coach is praising the killing of Jews. It went from me defending the coaches ability to say it without being suspended or fired, to I must be a white supremacist. I say it’s fake outrage, because this is outrage that didn’t have to exist. It was created from the twist that people have decided to put on the actual words of the coach (and myself).

If I've learned anything from reading this bizzare thread its that if I praise Adolf f'n Hitler's leadership style and ability to garner support, then something called mjfelton15 will defend me to Germany and back.

His ability to rally people to his side. That requires skills. That is undeniable. you need to be a good speaker, and you need to be convincing, to do what he did. I couldn’t get 10 people to march down the street with me to protect clean water. He rallied an entire military into supporting him, and then got them to do something horrendous. You can be an evil person, and still be good at what you do. His “leadership decisions” are not what was being praised. Just as the coach didn’t praise any specific decisions of Hitler, I can’t list any either. None of the decisions were good. The coach specifically noted what he was praising. I know what he meant. Definitely nothing to do with the holocaust. He was only praising the way Hitler was able to rally people to his side. Like I’ve stated a couple times already, I wouldn’t have said what the coach said. But I get what he meant. He said it wouldn’t be reviewed well, and he was totally right. People did what he predicted they would do, misunderstand and overreact. People do this all the time, they take a comment made by someone and put their own spin on it. It went from him saying Hitler rallied people around him well, to this coach is praising the killing of Jews. It went from me defending the coaches ability to say it without being suspended or fired, to I must be a white supremacist. I say it’s fake outrage, because this is outrage that didn’t have to exist. It was created from the twist that people have decided to put on the actual words of the coach (and myself).

Times are changing. There are just things you cant say now like you used to be able to

If I've learned anything from reading this bizzare thread its that if I praise Adolf f'n Hitler's leadership style and ability to garner support, then something called mjfelton15 will defend me to Germany and back.
I defend people’s ability to speak their mind. Yep. I’m a person, not a thing.

Yea the bygone days of putting a hood on and burning a cross just isn't acceptable any more.

Good grief! I hope there was never a time when praising Hitler's leadership is acceptable.
You’re being ridiculous. Who said anyone wants to put a hood on and burn a cross? You’re bringing unrelated shit into this. This is exactly what I was talking about. You’re making my point. Overreaction at it’s finest. Do you have zero ability to see that even the worst people will still have one or two qualities? My sister is a pile of shit, horrible person, but those facts don’t take away that she’s good at taking care of animals.

You’re being ridiculous. Who said anyone wants to put a hood on and burn a cross? You’re bringing unrelated shit into this. This is exactly what I was talking about. You’re making my point. Overreaction at it’s finest. Do you have zero ability to see that even the worst people will still have one or two qualities? My sister is a pile of shit, horrible person, but those facts don’t take away that she’s good at taking care of animals.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. I do not think that Adolf Hitler had a single good quality or two. We definitely have a different life view.

It is scary to hear that someone we know has a copy of Mein Kampf by his bedside at one time.

The way people want to police speech and ruin the life of someone for saying something stupid seems very Nazi-like.
The coach's life isn't ruined. He's suspended. Even if he was fired, it's not ruined. He works in a very public-oriented job (not many jobs have "fanbases"). If the employer feels the employee's statements are hurting their product they have a right to discipline him. He has a right to say what he wants, they have a right to discipline him. Anyone that works in a job that is somewhat in the public eye should know that.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree. I do not think that Adolf Hitler had a single good quality or two. We definitely have a different life view.
Are you choosing to ignore any qualities he may have had because of him being one of the most evil people of all time? Because I’m almost certain, that even the worst people still have one or two qualities.

Free Speech is hindered all the time. There is no such thing as unfettered Freedom of Speech.

And no one here is advocating for him to have his freedom of speech taken away. That is a ridiculous straw man people use to try and make themselves sound educated and on the right side of the issue. He had every right to say what he did...but the school has every right to suspend him for it for doing it as a representative of their institution.

This is like when people get all ticked off because someone got fired for posting something on social media. No one is saying you cant post it, but it isnt a free speech issue because a private business has a right to fire you if you act in a way that puts their reputation at risk. Hell in many states they can just fire you for cause.

True Free Speech warriors accept that what they say could get them in trouble and are willing to take that chance. People who just say stupid crap cry like babies when they are called out for their stupidity and cry foul.

Are you choosing to ignore any qualities he may have had because of him being one of the most evil people of all time? Because I’m almost certain, that even the worst people still have one or two qualities.

I never met Hitler and from all accounts (you know, being responsible for killing 6 million people), I'm going to error on the side of him not having one or two good qualities. But you do you.

I never met Hitler and from all accounts (you know, being responsible for killing 6 million people), I'm going to error on the side of him not having one or two good qualities. But you do you.
so you’re answering with a yes, that you’re choosing to ignore

If Hitler was a genius at math, you’d say he wasn’t because what...? He was evil, so that undoes reality

I have seen no evidence that he has a single good quality or two. So no, I am not ignoring.
So being able to rally people is not a good quality. MLK’s ability to rally hundreds of thousands of people in marches for equal rights, not a good quality. It isn’t a good quality to be able to get large quantities of people on board with an idea.

mjfelton15 now has 30, yes 30, posts defending the leadership qualities of Adolf Hitler. Yes, THAT Adolf Hitler. I don't know mj's post history enough, but does he defend Fleck's leadership qualities this strongly, or does he just defend the most evil person in the history of the world?

mjfelton15 now has 30, yes 30, posts defending the leadership qualities of Adolf Hitler. Yes, THAT Adolf Hitler. I don't know mj's post history enough, but does he defend Fleck's leadership qualities this strongly, or does he just defend the most evil person in the history of the world?
Yes I do defend Fleck’s leadership. I love Fleck. I also think you’re a fucking idiot.

I don’t agree with the modern way of handling these situations involving someone making a bad comment in public. I don’t like the probation, suspending, or firing of someone for a comment they made. Messing with someone’s livelihood, and ability to provide for their family, over a comment doesn’t really help anything.
I guess I’m in a league of my own on this one, I tend to always side with someone’s ability to say what they want to. I never really think the consequences match the comment made. We live in an outrage culture though where we burn people at the stake for what they say.
I agree with this post, but we are talking about Hitler here. There really is no room to give the benefit of the doubt in this case. Tone deaf is tone deaf.

Also, another correction. most of my 30 posts, that you took the time to go through and count, were defending a coach that praised Hitler’s ability to rally so many people to his side. I said I wouldn’t have said it. But I don’t believe his comments were suspension/firing worthy.

Top Bottom