Contract Extension for Fleck

Neither you nor I understand the troll mindset.
I don't even think they're trolls. Trolls don't really believe the sh!t they say, they're just trying to get a rise out of people.

I think these people are just negative people who are buffoons and for some reason gain some sence of self-importance by not being easy to impress.

They're the crowd that will only bring up things like Tanner Morgan's passing yards after beating another Big 10 team by 30. Their schtick is "call me when you beat the [insert better team here]". I think for the Gophers, they are usually MN sports fans who don't know anything about college sports.

But yeah, it's a weird group.

I would add that they seem to enjoy when the Gophers are struggling more so than when they do well.
It shows that we are dumb for getting excited anything and they are smart for never having any fun.

Great move. Glad to see the U make this move.

Love to see it. In it for the long haul.

I started watching Gopher football about 11 years ago. Fleck is the only coach to show me a win against Wisconsin and a New Year's Day Bowl victory.

Hoping we can get more of both in the next 7 years.

If this new contract irks and annoys Badger fans and Hawkeye fans, why, that's just more evidence that it is a smart, smart move for Minnesota.

Not that we need them to confirm.
Yep, nothing makes me more confident in the extension than the fact some Becky fans are combing through the details of the contract to try to find a way to squint and critique it.

RTdoubleflippingB.

Am I going dyslexic or does that contract say $1.5M, not $5.1M?
Apparently the supplemental compensation is $3.5M/yr. However, it sounds like he is only owed 65% of the $1.5M base salary remaining on the contract if the University fires him without cause, which is a pretty good deal for the U.

I'm pleased PJ got and signed a new contract. It puts us on pretty solid footing for the next three years with the buyout still at $5 million dollars after three years. If things go well he'll have a different contract prior to that keeping him here longer.

The part I'm a bit disappointed in is the $350,000 pool for the assistant coaches. Divide that up
between double figure guys and it pales compared to the $5 million dollars the boss cashes in. each year. Give Rossi even $100k bump and it divides pretty minimally between the rest.

We won't be luring a new offensive coordinator with money.

I don't understand why this couldn't have waited a month. We would have so much more clarity on the direction of the program. If PJ wins the West this year, then this is great...but what if he loses both rivalry games again? What if he goes 1-3 or 0-4? I view this as the classic Minnesota thing of giving out a raise/extension before something is actually accomplished. So PJ got a new deal in 2019, what has been accomplished in 2020 or 2021 to warrant another one? There have been 2 more border rivalry losses (arguably 4 more since the last extension/raise came out during the season too), a losing season in 2020 and to date (hopefully it will change) the most notable moment of 2021 is the loss to Bowling Green which was something like a top 20 biggest upset in the last 40 years of college football by point spread. Credit and praise is absolutely due for the turnaround since that point, but this feels like a bridge too far.

I like PJ, but he hasn't earned my trust that he's going to finish the deal this year. If he doesn't, we likely lose a whole lot of talent for '22: the entire OL, Morgan, Autman-Bell, Kieft, Mafe, Pinckney, Gibbens, and Durr. If this year does end poorly, I don't see how we'll have much confidence in '22 being better. As for recruiting, at the very least we are not on the upward trajectory, that we were a couple years ago.

We want to be (or be better than) Iowa/Wisconsin and yet they don't do these big contract extensions and raises all the time. Fleck will now be making the same money as Ferentz who has dominated the schools rivals (Iowa State, Minnesota, and you can add Nebraska to that list over the last part of his tenure) has 5 top 10 finishes, 2 Orange Bowls, a Rose Bowl, and only 5 losing conference seasons over 22 years. How are we at that spot with Fleck already? If I am reading the contract right, if the Gophers ever want to move on from Fleck then they have to pay him 65% of what is left on the contract. That buyout is going to be more than $10 million (the highest Fleck/another school will have to pay to get him out of his Minnesota deal) for 5 years. Is it really that hard to imagine this going really poorly? I could see public opinion changing drastically by the end of the month.

I hope this works out.

I don't understand why this couldn't have waited a month. We would have so much more clarity on the direction of the program. If PJ wins the West this year, then this is great...but what if he loses both rivalry games again? What if he goes 1-3 or 0-4? I view this as the classic Minnesota thing of giving out a raise/extension before something is actually accomplished. So PJ got a new deal in 2019, what has been accomplished in 2020 or 2021 to warrant another one? There have been 2 more border rivalry losses (arguably 4 more since the last extension/raise came out during the season too), a losing season in 2020 and to date (hopefully it will change) the most notable moment of 2021 is the loss to Bowling Green which was something like a top 20 biggest upset in the last 40 years of college football by point spread. Credit and praise is absolutely due for the turnaround since that point, but this feels like a bridge too far.

I like PJ, but he hasn't earned my trust that he's going to finish the deal this year. If he doesn't, we likely lose a whole lot of talent for '22: the entire OL, Morgan, Autman-Bell, Kieft, Mafe, Pinckney, Gibbens, and Durr. If this year does end poorly, I don't see how we'll have much confidence in '22 being better. As for recruiting, at the very least we are not on the upward trajectory, that we were a couple years ago.

We want to be (or be better than) Iowa/Wisconsin and yet they don't do these big contract extensions and raises all the time. Fleck will now be making the same money as Ferentz who has dominated the schools rivals (Iowa State, Minnesota, and you can add Nebraska to that list over the last part of his tenure) has 5 top 10 finishes, 2 Orange Bowls, a Rose Bowl, and only 5 losing conference seasons over 22 years. How are we at that spot with Fleck already? If I am reading the contract right, if the Gophers ever want to move on from Fleck then they have to pay him 65% of what is left on the contract. That buyout is going to be more than $10 million (the highest Fleck/another school will have to pay to get him out of his Minnesota deal) for 5 years. Is it really that hard to imagine this going really poorly? I could see public opinion changing drastically by the end of the month.

I hope this works out.

I guess we will see how this ages over the next few weeks.

I hope this works out.

Also, in a month, things will be in serious movement for all these other big jobs that are open this off-season. Why tempt fate when both parties are mutually interested? Coyle took a calculated risk. Each game we win in November, the speculation would grow more and more. That does nothing positive for the season or the program. Now they can fully focus on the Pig and the Axe.

Plus early signing is coming up, what?, December 15th. Too hard to recruit with other schools saying Fleck's as good as gone and recruiting targets hearing and reading all the media speculation.

I hope this works out.

I hope this works out.
1. If we win the West (and presumably that means we beat at least one rival) Fleck is back to the top of the list of big name programs who have jobs to fill. By waiting you run the risk of either losing him or having to dish out even more $$ to keep him.

2. The Bowling Green loss was horrific and a coaching nightmare that Fleck frankly had coming. He’s a young coach, and I think/hope that this will be a lesson learned. You don’t make future decisions based on one game, no matter how atrocious.

3. I hate losing to Iowa and Wisconsin more than anybody, but the reality is that they are top 20 programs in the country with excellent older coaches who undoubtedly aren’t leaving for another school and thus not in need of big contract extensions/raises. Iowa and Wisconsin are in a rare and lucky situation in that regard. Minnesota is trying to create the continuity necessary to get on their level, and this contract helps solidify that.

4. We lose a lot of talent next year, yes, but we also return plenty and with the portal holes can be patched a lot quicker than they used to. Also, we are not a program who is going to get better every single year. Some years, and perhaps next year will be one, we just won’t be as good. While I’d prefer to avoid the ups and downs of Northwestern, this contract envisions a much longer term commitment that won’t be derailed if 2022 isn’t as successful as 2021.

5. Of course it’s a gamble to give Fleck an extension (although it’s fairly modest) but at least you can say the U is finally making an educated investment in football that may push us into the next level. It may be a horrible mistake in hindsight but right now this feels like the right move at the right time.

Also, in a month, things will be in serious movement for all these other big jobs that are open this off-season. Why tempt fate when both parties are mutually interested? Coyle took a calculated risk. Each game we win in November, the speculation would grow more and more. That does nothing positive for the season or the program. Now they can fully focus on the Pig and the Axe.
Where is the speculation growing? Little to no speculation on Fleck to LSU or USC where names like Aranda, Fickell, and Franklin are prevalent. He certainly won't gain any ground on those names unless he wins the West this year. The alleged ability to fully focus on the Pig and the Axe didn't help in 2019 when a contract extension was done in season. Nobody leaves a job during the season and PJ claims he wants to be in Minneosta, so why not just focus on the 1 game Illinois championship season?

Where is the speculation growing? Little to no speculation on Fleck to LSU or USC where names like Aranda, Fickell, and Franklin are prevalent. He certainly won't gain any ground on those names unless he wins the West this year. The alleged ability to fully focus on the Pig and the Axe didn't help in 2019 when a contract extension was done in season. Nobody leaves a job during the season and PJ claims he wants to be in Minneosta, so why not just focus on the 1 game Illinois championship season?

We have won 4 in a row and are ranked #20 in the CFP. A couple more wins and there will be plenty more buzz. I'm quite confident we will win the West this year. This will all look brilliant then.

That and as PJ noted you do it so recruits and players know that the staff isn't going anywhere.

There's no perfect time to do this kinda thing.

1. If we win the West (and presumably that means we beat at least one rival) Fleck is back to the top of the list of big name programs who have jobs to fill. By waiting you run the risk of either losing him or having to dish out even more $$ to keep him.

2. The Bowling Green loss was horrific and a coaching nightmare that Fleck frankly had coming. He’s a young coach, and I think/hope that this will be a lesson learned. You don’t make future decisions based on one game, no matter how atrocious.

3. I hate losing to Iowa and Wisconsin more than anybody, but the reality is that they are top 20 programs in the country with excellent older coaches who undoubtedly aren’t leaving for another school and thus not in need of big contract extensions/raises. Iowa and Wisconsin are in a rare and lucky situation in that regard. Minnesota is trying to create the continuity necessary to get on their level, and this contract helps solidify that.

4. We lose a lot of talent next year, yes, but we also return plenty and with the portal holes can be patched a lot quicker than they used to. Also, we are not a program who is going to get better every single year. Some years, and perhaps next year will be one, we just won’t be as good. While I’d prefer to avoid the ups and downs of Northwestern, this contract envisions a much longer term commitment that won’t be derailed if 2022 isn’t as successful as 2021.

5. Of course it’s a gamble to give Fleck an extension (although it’s fairly modest) but at least you can say the U is finally making an educated investment in football that may push us into the next level. It may be a horrible mistake in hindsight but right now this feels like the right move at the right time.
1. Probably will need to beat both rivals to win the West. Beating both rivals in the same year 1 time in your first 5 years as coach is certainly a reasonable expectation. Currently 1-7.
2. Agree. My point was that is the most notable thing that has happened this year and it wasn't a positive.
3. Chryst is 55 he's certainly young enough to take another job: take a look at his salary by year: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach/1601 He's won the West 3 times and has 3 top 10 finishes.
4. What if 2021 is only an 8-4 season with 2 more rivalry losses? Is that a season that feels like a success? I do agree 2022 is more accurately portrayed as an unknown than as a defined difficult year.
5. The raise is modest but the commitment is not. If things do go poorly the buyout language suggests that we just have to grin and bear it for a long time.

1. Probably will need to beat both rivals to win the West. Beating both rivals in the same year 1 time in your first 5 years as coach is certainly a reasonable expectation. Currently 1-7.
2. Agree. My point was that is the most notable thing that has happened this year and it wasn't a positive.
3. Chryst is 55 he's certainly young enough to take another job: take a look at his salary by year: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach/1601 He's won the West 3 times and has 3 top 10 finishes.
4. What if 2021 is only an 8-4 season with 2 more rivalry losses? Is that a season that feels like a success? I do agree 2022 is more accurately portrayed as an unknown than as a defined difficult year.
5. The raise is modest but the commitment is not. If things do go poorly the buyout language suggests that we just have to grin and bear it for a long time.
Think you might be, quite possibly, the only poster who thinks this could go south. Time will tell, of course, but seems to me like he has it going in the right direction.

Good grief. Take a fucking happy pill and relax my man lol

What's the worst thing that could happen?? He's proven to run a clean program with good grades...that's a solid. There's plenty of indicators that he has the ability to potentially take this program to the next level (some argue we're already there). At worst he proves to be an average-above average coach. There's nothing in this contract that keeps the U from moving on in a few years if PJ isn't the guy. At this moment in time though he appears he could be the guy, so it's worth the investment.

Full disclosure...outside of a few clock management issues and not playing back ups more, I think PJ has done a phenomenal job here to date and love this move

If you can't see what is going on here or the trajectory this program is on then there really is no point trying to convince you that this was a great move for the University.

Fleck is doing some great things here, things previous coaches have failed to do over the past 50+ years of Gopher Football. And this was his way of proving his commitment to the school and the players.

Sorry you don't like the move.....you are in a very small group of posters that don't like it.

Someone found the worst take ever and not surprising it’s a wi fan.

If he gets 10 wins this year and does well next year he SHOULD get another extension. Paying him at 17th in the nation isnt out of whack. Bumping it every year to keep him around top 20 should be the norm.

I don’t think the buyout is very steep. Unless I’m reading it wrong (which I very well might be), the University owes him 65% of the base salary remaining on the contract if he is fired without cause. His base salary is $1.5M per year, and 65% of that is ~$1M per year. If this year goes south, and the next two years go REALLY south, the price to fire him would be about $4M. That is pretty cheap, especially when you look around and see people like Ferentz and Frost with $20M buyouts currently or recently.

I don’t think the buyout is very steep. Unless I’m reading it wrong (which I very well might be), the University owes him 65% of the base salary remaining on the contract if he is fired without cause. His base salary is $1.5M per year, and 65% of that is ~$1M per year. If this year goes south, and the next two years go REALLY south, the price to fire him would be about $4M. That is pretty cheap, especially when you look around and see people like Ferentz and Frost with $20M buyouts currently or recently.
They didn't care about Frost's buyout because of how sure they were that he was the messiah who would take them to the promised land. Look at how many quality losses he has racked up in four short years!

Top Bottom