Contract Extension for Fleck

"This is home," said Fleck. "Our family loves it here and we are excited to continue this journey at the University of Minnesota. From day one, we talked about cultural sustainability and how important it is to building a successful football program and life program. Today is another step in that process, and this new contract is a commitment to our elite staff and the entire state of Minnesota. Heather and I are so thankful to our staff, Mark Coyle, President Joan Gabel and the Board of Regents for trusting us to lead this program. Our goal is to recruit and coach at an elite level and to have our young people achieve academic, athletic, social and spiritual excellence. It's a tremendous honor to lead this program, and we will continue to work to build a culture that connects the entire state."

Go Gophers!!

Great to hear. Hope the buyout increases significantly.

Go Gophers!!
There are a number of big time head coaching jobs opening up and this is a key year. I think if Fleck wanted to leave this would be his best time to do it. To build our program we need someone to stick around for a long time like Wisconsin and Iowa did.

Anyone can see Fleck gives us an edge in the modern NCAA. He is the guy who can get it done here.

Happy it's happening.

As of last night America's 24th highest paid coach led the 20th ranked team, offering a rare surplus value to the Gophers!

Like any other asset in 2021, as soon as ANY sign of value appeared it had to be bought up ($$ raise) in less than a day.

I don't think these things really keep anyone around if they really want to go.

But I also don't like to think about that stuff and PJ has certainly done an outstanding job / I'm glad to hear PJs comments.
I think you're right, but these extension/buyout increases just make it more onerous for someone to hire him away.

monica-geller-friends.gif

Smart move by Fleck too. He could have dragged the negotiations out as cover for leaving. If this season doesn't turn out to be the rosy one we expect he still has a 7-year contract in his pocket.

Top Bottom