Contract Extension for Fleck

With the extension he should get a nice bump in late recruiting and nailing down the last commitments. He isn't leaving, except for maybe a top 2% job and that isn't going to be for at least 3+ years. We shall see how it all plays out.

Lurking an Iowa forum I expected them to say, "Well, this won't keep him at Minnesota anyway." No, many said the U is so desperate to have a good football program that they got suckered into offering this contract to a mediocre coach.

And - taking a cynical approach - this also gives Fleck some insurance in case the team takes a step backwards next year, when they could potentially lose 10 of 11 starters on both offense and defense. Who knows - maybe all the backups are going to step right in and they won't lose a step - but with that much turnover, it's normal to expect a transition period.
Do you really think if the Gophers struggled next year there would be rumblings to fire him? If so, you're delusional.

Leave to a Twin Cities journalist to say something like that. I think they just say things like that to get Gopher fans riled up. What a tool.
Wait…sorry. I was just imagining what Souhan might say or think. These aren’t real quotes. My bad for the confusion.

Will this finally be the proof that so many have been searching for? The proof that Fleck ACTUALLY means it when he says he wants to be here for the long haul.

Will some finally be able to let go of 35+ years of pain as they stare longingly at their 1985 media guide at the face of the one who was stolen away?

If Fleck wanted out of town he had a great opportunity in 2019, he signed an extension. If Fleck wanted out of town there would have been some great opportunities available 2021, he signed another extension.

He idolizes Fry and Alvarez.....he wants to do for Minnesota what those guys did for Iowa and Wisconsin. Time to start listening and tune out the National people that just want to assume he is gone the first chance he gets, because why would anyone want to stay at Minnesota?

He is a midwest guy, he loves the Big Ten, he has a great relationship with the AD, he has great support from the Administration, the state has embraced his Row the Boat Mantra, and he is in a division that he can absolutely compete in......He is truly building something special here. He may leave someday, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

Let's Go!

Wait…sorry. I was just imagining what Souhan might say or think. These aren’t real quotes. My bad for the confusion.
LaVelle tweeted this

P.J.Fleck signs a new seven-year contract. Good for him, but this is bad look after the school eliminated multiple sports just over a year ago to save money.

LaVelle tweeted this

P.J.Fleck signs a new seven-year contract. Good for him, but this is bad look after the school eliminated multiple sports just over a year ago to save money.

LaVelle should stick to the Twins. Football is what is selling tickets at most of the P5 schools. Football is what gets the TV ratings. The administration obviously feels that we are closer than we've been in decades and is smart not to want to take steps backwards by seeing a helmet school scoop up PJ after another 9+ win season.

LaVelle tweeted this

Men's gymnastics should have been eliminated years ago. It's a dying sport at the college level.

Lurking an Iowa forum I expected them to say, "Well, this won't keep him at Minnesota anyway." No, many said the U is so desperate to have a good football program that they got suckered into offering this contract to a mediocre coach.
That’s priceless coming from a school that has paid millions to something called Brian Ferentz.

Will this finally be the proof that so many have been searching for? The proof that Fleck ACTUALLY means it when he says he wants to be here for the long haul.

Will some finally be able to let go of 35+ years of pain as they stare longingly at their 1985 media guide at the face of the one who was stolen away?

If Fleck wanted out of town he had a great opportunity in 2019, he signed an extension. If Fleck wanted out of town there would have been some great opportunities available 2021, he signed another extension.

He idolizes Fry and Alvarez.....he wants to do for Minnesota what those guys did for Iowa and Wisconsin. Time to start listening and tune out the National people that just want to assume he is gone the first chance he gets, because why would anyone want to stay at Minnesota?

He is a midwest guy, he loves the Big Ten, he has a great relationship with the AD, he has great support from the Administration, the state has embraced his Row the Boat Mantra, and he is in a division that he can absolutely compete in......He is truly building something special here. He may leave someday, but it isn't going to be anytime soon.

Let's Go!
Not saying he does or doesn't want to be here long term, but what opportunity did he have in 2019? I'm genuinely asking because I'm not aware of any job he was offered.

Got to help with re recruitment.
No doubt. As much as I hate to give props to Wisconsin, one can't overlook how Alvarez stabilized their abysmal football program and brought it repeated national recognition, which further helps recruiting.

Being able to go into a recruit's home, having just made another 7 year commitment to the coach and his culture, is most definitely going to be one in the plus column. You can bet other programs were using the lack of good, consistent coaching against us for years, and it would have been an accurate assessment.

Not saying he does or doesn't want to be here long term, but what opportunity did he have in 2019? I'm genuinely asking because I'm not aware of any job he was offered.

Nearly certain Tennessee was interested after 2019, but I could be mixing that up with 2020.

He was being talked about as an option at Florida State. He put the talk to bed by signing the extension during the season. He wasn't offered anything but if he had wanted to leave he absolutely could have used the 2019 season as a springboard to something else.

He was being talked about as an option at Florida State. He put the talk to bed by signing the extension during the season. He wasn't offered anything but if he had wanted to leave he absolutely could have used the 2019 season as a springboard to something else.
I don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, But I'm guessing after 2019 his agent got calls once in awhile just to get a feel for where PJ is at.

I don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, But I'm guessing after 2019 his agent got calls once in awhile just to get a feel for where PJ is at.

It's funny that some people think that all interest or even offers that a college coach's agent receives are public knowledge. I think the only time they actually come to the surface is when the agent wants to leverage it for an extension or when the coach feels the need to make a "denial of interest".

It's funny that some people think that all interest or even offers that a college coach's agent receives are public knowledge. I think the only time they actually come to the surface is when the agent wants to leverage it for an extension or when the coach feels the need to make a "denial of interest".
Yeah I'm guessing everything starts pretty informally.

Sometimes even just a random booster calling an agent.... and then endlessly hassling and athletic director about it ;)

Supposedly we quietly asked Les Miles if he was interested at one point in case PJ decided otherwise.

LaVelle tweeted this

We cut three men's sports because of title IX -- if you were good at your job you would acknowledge that and maybe you'd want to get rid of title IX -- but that would be bad look. Hacks who just say things for clout annoy me.

All we did was give him and his assistants a little more money and made it more costly for him to leave. There’s really very little downside for either sides.

LaVelle tweeted this

So far the investment has paid off, even if you just look at it from a business standpoint. There’s very little downside to this.

Do you really think if the Gophers struggled next year there would be rumblings to fire him? If so, you're delusional.
Would all depend on end to this year. If lost to WI and IA, and bowl game. Yes, a dismal year next year would lead to calls for his head, especially if they lost to another poor non-conference. All the goodwill from the past four weeks will be gone if he loses both the border games.

Would all depend on end to this year. If lost to WI and IA, and bowl game. Yes, a dismal year next year would lead to calls for his head, especially if they lost to another poor non-conference. All the goodwill from the past four weeks will be gone if he loses both the border games.
You would have a couple of knee jerk dinks calling for his head. But he would need a pretty sustained run of struggling before he would truly be on the hot seat. He has earned quite a bit of leeway to this point.

LaVelle tweeted this

Doesn't LaVelle realize that between Title 8 and needing to keep the good coaches happy as to pay, he needed to drop some sports?

You would have a couple of knee jerk dinks calling for his head. But he would need a pretty sustained run of struggling before he would truly be on the hot seat. He has earned quite a bit of leeway to this point.
You'll have to look at the game day threads where posters are constantly calling for someone's head after a bad play or series by the offense. LOL!

You'll have to look at the game day threads where posters are constantly calling for someone's head after a bad play or series by the offense. LOL!
Yeah, of course most of the time is the same little handful of posters that are mostly around when things are going badly in the game but suddenly vanish when it turns around.

Top Bottom