Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

Something to think about:

no matter what happens with conference re-alignment, I just don't see any P5 conference going to an all-conference game schedule - or a cross-over schedule as some are proposing with the B1G and the Pac-12.

If the Gophers want to be in contention for bowl games or playoffs, they need winnable non-conference games. And the 'cannon fodder' teams boost their budgets by playing guarantee games.

So, no matter who is in the B1G or in which division, teams will still play 8 or 9 conf games and 3 or 4 non-conf - generally against lesser opponents.

the rare "good vs. good" non-conference games are for the marquee teams to maximize TV ratings.
And losing to another ranked team will not keep the marquee teams out of the playoffs.

I do think an agreement (ie stopping short of a formal merger) between the Big Ten and the PAC could work.
It would be neat to have some agreement, similar to how ND agrees to 5 ACC teams every year, and then the "conference champ" game would be #1 B1G vs. #1 PAC and we could call it the Rose Bowl again, then the winner is selected to represent this new "merger" in the CFP.

So, no matter who is in the B1G or in which division, teams will still play 8 or 9 conf games and 3 or 4 non-conf - generally against lesser opponents.
10 and 2 is plenty good.

5 home/5 away vs good + 2 buy home games vs MAC/Mountain West. 7 home games per year, as now.

14 current Big Ten teams, say the PAC adds Kansas and Iowa State (contiguous from Colorado, and AAU) for 14, and 10 games for each team total within the combined agreement. That’s 140 total games to offer within the agreement, that the first tier rights holder can select from. FOX, CBS?, NBC? who wants high-quality, high-viewership college football? Open those checkbooks.

Problem is if you start doing the math on every rando school and start to think about kicking them ... then everyone gonna make a run for it.

I think a bigger / more stable umbrella with a big pay day has more stability than getting super granular about everything.
That’s true if you aren’t already at 14 and rich?

You think the big ten should risk lower payouts because they’re unstable?

Something to think about:

no matter what happens with conference re-alignment, I just don't see any P5 conference going to an all-conference game schedule - or a cross-over schedule as some are proposing with the B1G and the Pac-12.

If the Gophers want to be in contention for bowl games or playoffs, they need winnable non-conference games. And the 'cannon fodder' teams boost their budgets by playing guarantee games.

the rare "good vs. good" non-conference games are for the marquee teams to maximize TV ratings.
And losing to another ranked team will not keep the marquee teams out of the playoffs.
The correct answer to get more money for people is objective criteria to make the playoff

they will then schedule to meet that criteria

Right now the criteria changes week to week (see interview every top 25 that is released)

10 and 2 is plenty good.

5 home/5 away vs good + 2 buy home games vs MAC/Mountain West. 7 home games per year, as now.

14 current Big Ten teams, say the PAC adds Kansas and Iowa State (contiguous from Colorado, and AAU) for 14, and 10 games for each team total within the combined agreement. That’s 140 total games to offer within the agreement, that the first tier rights holder can select from. FOX, CBS?, NBC? who wants high-quality, high-viewership college football? Open those checkbooks.
Why would Pac-12 or Big Ten want ISU or KU. They are not adding $56 millions a year. If anything USC, UCLA, UO and UW are not happy with what they are getting paid. Cal and Stanford are not making money. Big Ten just should invite these four schools and wait out ACC to fall apart. Pac Media right expire around 2024.

Everything is going to YouTubeTV style streaming packages, with the same channel lineup across the nation.

There won’t be any “markets” of cable systems anymore. Just a single, national market.

You’re a casual college football or basketball fan looking for a game to watch.

Are you more likely to tune into a football game for #10 ranked 9-1 Iowa State or unranked 5-6 UCLA “but markets!” ?

A basketball game for #5 ranked 17-2 Kansas or unranked 10-9 USC “but markets!” ?

Individual games and the (casual) viewership they can generate, are going to matter more and more, while markets and cable systems are going to matter less and less.

Your assumptions, as a non TV professional. Noted.

But Vandy and Miss State are worth $5xM/year to the SEC, right?
No I am not TV professional. I am not also delusional. If you're saying adding ISU and KU will add north of 56 mil is ridiculous at best. I didn't know Ames is such a hot TV market.

No I am not TV professional. I am not also delusional. If you're saying adding ISU and KU will add north of 56 mil is ridiculous at best. I didn't know Ames is such a hot TV market.
Ranked football team

Anyone across the nation with YouTubeTV gets BTN and FS1, and can tune in to watch their game, regardless where they live.

ISU and Matty is very recent phenomena. Should Big Ten take abysmal KU? See IU basketball. There are fundamentals that you just cant wish away.

A big issue with the PAC-12 as a whole, is simply location. They play a lot of late games that people in the east won't stay up to watch, and it diminishes their value as a TV property. Now I personally love late night college football (Hawaii home games at night are the best), but that's a real problem for those schools.

ISU and Matty is very recent phenomena. Should Big Ten take abysmal KU? See IU basketball. There are fundamentals that you just cant wish away.
Kansas football makes more money for the school than basketball.

A big issue with the PAC-12 as a whole, is simply location. They play a lot of late games that people in the east won't stay up to watch, and it diminishes their value as a TV property. Now I personally love late night college football (Hawaii home games at night are the best), but that's a real problem for those schools.
USC,UCLA,UW,UO,MN,IA,NEB,WI,IL in West. OSU,UM,MSU,PSU,NW,IU,PU,MD,RU in East.
Example. MN play IA,NEB,WI, IL yearly. Play 3 out of 4 from UCLA,USC,UW,UO. Play 2 from East Division.
You dont need to be TV executive to count the money new league will make. While SEC is getting OU and TX, B1G is aiming for leftover crumbs from Big 12. Totally make sense.

Last edited:

Should the Big Ten take abysmal Nebraska? See Tennessee.

You make decisions at the time a decision has to be made, using best judgement and predictions (and hopes and dreams)

Very good point. The other part is that out West is just relatively poor in college football viewership. They don’t care as much about CFB, relative to population.

Playing “conference” (agreement) away games in the central time zone helps with that somewhat.

Can they make 56 mil ? University Presidents and Ads are not charity workers.
You don’t know the answer. The answer is given by the TV partner. Not the ADs and presidents.

Maybe they would pay for it.

Maybe FOX wants to take on the new ESPN/SEC/ACC empire, and would be willing to do things you think they shouldn’t do.

Should the Big Ten take abysmal Nebraska? See Tennessee.

You make decisions at the time a decision has to be made, using best judgement and predictions (and hopes and dreams)
UT and Neb are under achievers right now. But the brand value of Tennessee and Cornkids still are wayy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of ISU with its recent achievements. Not even close.

UT and Neb are under achievers right now. But the brand value of Tennessee and Cornkids still are wayy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of ISU with its recent achievements. Not even close.
You’re making that up. Very convenient for yourself.

You don’t know the answer. The answer is given by the TV partner. Not the ADs and presidents.

Maybe they would pay for it.

Maybe FOX wants to take on the new ESPN/SEC/ACC empire, and would be willing to do things you think they shoul
We can wager. Name your price! I am ready.

I sure as hell wouldn’t tune into an unranked Nebraska or Tennessee football game these days.

Why should I? Because they were good in the 90’s?

Also there is a giant difference between adding members to add revenue vs not adding those who don’t

VS

cutting the least valuable entities in a conference

People in the bottom half of a conference aren’t going to cut the bottom, because it makes them a potential cut

OK, you got me.

Hoping Berty and the pumpkin-helmets run over Scotty on Aug 28. May have to tune into that.

Top Bottom