Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
Word has it Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC about joining the SEC:

Now that's just a rumor BUT A&M's AD had something to say about it:

Ultimately this seems unlikely. Supposedly the Florida teams all are dead set against expansion in their state & region and I kinda doubt they'd stab A&M with a similar move...

Tennessee's going to be pissed too now that another underachieving orange-wearing UT is looking to horn in on them.
Michigan is all

I don't care what their colors are, they can't join the B1G either!!! Underachiving is our thing!!!

It doesn't make sense for UF, Georgia, A&M or most of the other schools in the conference to go along with this.

It doesn't make sense for UF, Georgia, A&M or most of the other schools in the conference to go along with this.
I agree.

And let's say Texas gets good and Oklahoma ... does more.

Someone has to be the bitch ... what good SEC team will now suck?

I agree.

And they will be good in the SEC, because even Mizzou and A&M both won division titles in their first couple years. A&M even got a Heisman out of their early SEC days!

Meanwhile we know what happened to Big 12 heavyweight Nebraska once they joined the lowly Big Ten West and had 100 years of elite football stopped dead in its tracks.

I'll say A&M and Mizzou also end up being the ones to take a step backward.

So if it does happen, who replaces Oklahoma and Texas? Cincinnati, Houston, Northern Illinois, Colorado State???? There is potential for some decent TV markets.

Strongly disagree. It's all about the $$$.

Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC would make television contracts a financial boon for all teams currently in that conference.

My only question would be if somehow the Oklahoma Governor gets involved and refuses to allow it to happen without the Cowboys tagging along.

I agree.

Having a super league is great until you’re the 30th best team in the country with an under .500 record

Meanwhile, ok state loved this as they can win the league, be a top 6 conference champ in the ratings and make the playoff. Oklahoma has 3 losses and is rated 17th

And they will be good in the SEC, because even Mizzou and A&M both won division titles in their first couple years. A&M even got a Heisman out of their early SEC days!

Meanwhile we know what happened to Big 12 heavyweight Nebraska once they joined the lowly Big Ten West and had 100 years of elite football stopped dead in its tracks.

I'll say A&M and Mizzou also end up being the ones to take a step backward.
Mizzou sure, but A&M is recruiting lights out. Classes ranked 17, 4, 6, 8 in Jimbo's first four years coupled with last years season don't seem like they've taken a step backward.

Having a super league is great until you’re the 30th best team in the country with an under .500 record

Meanwhile, ok state loved this as they can win the league, be a top 6 conference champ in the ratings and make the playoff. Oklahoma has 3 losses and is rated 17th
OK St. doesn't love this:

Oklahoma State, while calling the reports "unconfirmed," said it would be "extremely disappointed" if they were true and would defend its position.

"While we place a premium on history, loyalty and trust, be assured, we will aggressively defend and advance what is best for Oklahoma State and our strong athletic program, which continues to excel in the Big 12 and nationally," the school said in a statement.

So if it does happen, who replaces Oklahoma and Texas? Cincinnati, Houston, Northern Illinois, Colorado State???? There is potential for some decent TV markets.

I'm not sure the Big 12 remains a P5 conference if they lose Texas and Oklahoma. I'm sure they will try, but you're looking at a major drop-off

I say we take Texas as a temporary associate football member for a few rounds.

TA&M is a very reactionary school and is a cultural fit if not a geographic fit with the SEC.
TX and OU are not going to join the SEC.
Both have a chance each year to be in the final four.
That would never happen if they were in the SEC.

OK St. doesn't love this:

Oklahoma State, while calling the reports "unconfirmed," said it would be "extremely disappointed" if they were true and would defend its position.

"While we place a premium on history, loyalty and trust, be assured, we will aggressively defend and advance what is best for Oklahoma State and our strong athletic program, which continues to excel in the Big 12 and nationally," the school said in a statement.

Are you talking football or athletics dept?

bad for ok state athletics
Good for ok state football

I'd say athletics in general, which includes football, because the teams left would struggle continuing to be a conference I'd think. It could lead to the end of the Big 12, and then where does OK St. play football? That's how I read into the comments at least.

Unless the SEC gets its champion + 4 of 6 at-larges most years.

Then, it may just make sense.

But is the Big Ten going to vote yes on that?

You're assuming that being the conf champion of the depleted Big XII would be meaningful for the playoff.

Not too sure, honestly at that point, that American and Mountain West champions wouldn't be rated higher.

I'd say athletics in general, which includes football, because the teams left would struggle continuing to be a conference I'd think. It could lead to the end of the Big 12, and then where does OK St. play football? That's how I read into the comments at least.
If two teams leave, the big 12 becomes the big 8

they probably invite Houston, Colorado state, Boise state, and bYU

They’re a top 5 conference OSU can win instead of one they haven’t won since 1976 (tri champ) 1926 (outright)

Word has it Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to the SEC about joining the SEC:

Now that's just a rumor BUT A&M's AD had something to say about it:

Ultimately this seems unlikely. Supposedly the Florida teams all are dead set against expansion in their state & region and I kinda doubt they'd stab A&M with a similar move...
Will the SEC allow Texas to keep their 3rd party longhorn network money that is going to really jump up under terms of the contract.

If this happens, all the conferences will grow again at the expense of the Big 12.

Maybe it's time to stop watching collegiate sports.

Top Bottom