Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

So now Bigger 10 is tweeting they are hearing Penn State wants to go to ACC? Should I be worried about the B1G?
Another example of Twitter people throwing crazy crap against the wall to get more followers and stir the pot.

There will be a lot of this type of thing.

Congrats on your common shares. So, you know the same as what the public knows.
Yeah, the public does know, if they bother to read what Disney analysts have said. You obviously haven’t bothered. ESPN subscribers are down about 25% in the last 7 years.

Apology accepted.

Congratulations on figuring out how to turn you computer on.

And how are you able to figure that out, but they can't, and aren't doing that? The LHN hasn't worked.
Uhmmm… they are doing it. Right now.

They increased their share of revenue from the Big XII by 50% in just the last 3 days:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-oklahoma-as-enticement-not-to-leave-for-sec/

This is more than any SEC school has ever received. And it sounds like negotiations with the Big XII are still in progress, and trending in Texas’s favor.

Last edited:

As an iowa state grad and fan and gopher fan I really hope we end up in big ten. Regional school which can easily develops friendly rivalry. Iowa State great tailgating school. Friendly fan base. Another school that hates Iowa just as much if not more. Besides I really don't want to end up in AAC.

So Texas and Oklahoma are not renewing their media grants in 2025, but intend have stated they would honor the existing agreement. Does that mean they would not officially leave to join the SEC until 2025?

So Texas and Oklahoma are not renewing their media grants in 2025, but intend have stated they would honor the existing agreement. Does that mean they would not officially leave to join the SEC until 2025?
Word has it they want / expect to play in the SEC ... for 2022...

But the realk kicker is what the B12's rules are for getting out and so on. That will be up to the lawyers I think.

As an iowa state grad and fan and gopher fan I really hope we end up in big ten. Regional school which can easily develops friendly rivalry. Iowa State great tailgating school. Friendly fan base. Another school that hates Iowa just as much if not more. Besides I really don't want to end up in AAC.
Iowa State in the B1G? The B1G better be aiming higher.

ISU seems more likely headed to G5 status.

Just a thought:

there is a balancing act here. the reason teams like Bama, Clemson and Ohio State can rack up 11-1 or 10-2 seasons is because they are beating the 'lesser' members of their respective conferences.

If, through realignment, a conference wound up with too many top-level teams, then those teams would wind up facing each other more often and potentially picking up more losses.

So, in that sense, the top teams do not want a 'top-heavy' conference. they 'need' the bottom-feeders to help them rack up those gaudy records.

I would be shocked.

Can't imagine the actual school would like athletics disconnecting them from all that grant money....
At some point, University Presidents/state politicians are going to involve themselves in this. The AD's have $$ fever.

Iowa State in the B1G? The B1G better be aiming higher.

ISU seems more likely headed to G5 status.
ISU splits the pie without adding anything to it. Every school will be poorer for letting them in. I'd only do it if they just share Iowa's slice. :cool:

ISU splits the pie without adding anything to it. Every school will be poorer for letting them in. I'd only do it if they just share Iowa's slice. :cool:
My view as well. ISU would take more than they give. No one outside the State of Iowa gives a crap about them.

Now Kansas is another story.

there is a balancing act here. the reason teams like Bama, Clemson and Ohio State can rack up 11-1 or 10-2 seasons is because they are beating the 'lesser' members of their respective conferences.

If, through realignment, a conference wound up with too many top-level teams, then those teams would wind up facing each other more often and potentially picking up more losses.

So, in that sense, the top teams do not want a 'top-heavy' conference. they 'need' the bottom-feeders to help them rack up those gaudy records.
That's why they want the playoff expanded. So SEC #3 and #4 can get in after going through that gauntlet of a schedule.

That's why they want the playoff expanded. So SEC #3 and #4 can get in after going through that gauntlet of a schedule.

I want the Playoffs epanded to 8 teams. The P5 or maybe one day the P4 winners of their conferece get an auto bid. Then you pick the bestof the top 3 or 4 tems ranked highest in the the polls. You could have a 2 team that did not win their conference. THeir is very little chance that people could argue about the best of the best playing each other.

The top 4 teams play the bottom 4 in the first round at the top 4s stadiums. The reason why the top 4 proved they are worth it. The second reason is for fan travel. In the first round the top 4 teams would fill their stadium. The other 2 games would be played in a bowl game as the top 4 teams do now. Their are plenty of bowls for those that dont make the top 8!

The B1G should be talking to UNC and UVA, not Iowa State and Colorado.

They added Rutgers and Maryland to prepare for this moment... go get it done. Even better if you can nab Notre Dame and Duke while you're at it.

I'm probably stuck in an old line of thinking and my bias is showing for ISU but I care way more about regionality than I do school prestige. Adding west coast schools makes you more money but doesn't move the needle in terms of fan engagement. I couldn't care less about playing a game on the west coast. Our fan base barely travels as is. ISU and Kansas straight down the freeway. Existing rivalries instantly added. ISU and Kansas both good basketball schools. On the opposite side of the big ten sure add Pitt and and Syracuse for more regional competition for the Penn States of the world but I don't think the ACC is breaking up anytime soon.

The B1G should be talking to UNC and UVA, not Iowa State and Colorado.

They added Rutgers and Maryland to prepare for this moment... go get it done. Even better if you can nab Notre Dame and Duke while you're at it.
Duke would not be above UVa, UNC or ND. Their football generally sucks and who knows what will happen in basketball now. ND and UVa are #1 and #2 but UNC would be great too. Only if we get to re-hang the banners though.

I'm probably stuck in an old line of thinking and my bias is showing for ISU but I care way more about regionality than I do school prestige. Adding west coast schools makes you more money but doesn't move the needle in terms of fan engagement. I couldn't care less about playing a game on the west coast. Our fan base barely travels as is. ISU and Kansas straight down the freeway. Existing rivalries instantly added. ISU and Kansas both good basketball schools. On the opposite side of the big ten sure add Pitt and and Syracuse for more regional competition for the Penn States of the world but I don't think the ACC is breaking up anytime soon.
I'm sure it would be great for ISU fans and Iowa would love it. But it does nothing for me or I reckon most other B1G fans. Meanwhile it blows a hole in the budget.

Yes, but if OSU and Michigan were the only schools pushing one way, while everyone else pushed another it would add to the tension. Those schools generated close to $200 million in revenue from sports in 2019. The schools system depends upon those funds more than most and hence why they may be outliers.

If you want to see the financial reasons behind the decisions that are being made and those being discussed here is revenue #'s from 2019. Notice how the BIG 12 has a huge gap in revenue between TX and OU and the other schools. Also notice the big gap between the top 4 and the other schools. The B10 dominates the top 6 schools in revenue, but the SEC has 10 of the top 20 schools in terms of sports revenue. It is not inconceivable for the SEC to try and poach TX, OU, OSU, PSU, MI and possibly WI and IA and then adding FSU, USC and Clemson. This give them almost every school that makes FB a #1 priority and the top revenue producing schools in the nation.

Lets be honest - MN gets a ton of benefit being yoked to schools with a bigger commitment to sports (we have done better but for years we wasted our athletics away). The B1G contract benefits each equally even thought other schools attract better ratings (MN did awesome in the ratings in 2019 which does show there is potential). It wouldn't be a reach if there were issues for the top dollar schools to be tempted to look at forming a super conference.

I never directly responded, but others touched on it. Athletics money is big, but government research grants are much much bigger. This is why the B1G research alliance is such a big motivator, and why the B1G only admits AAU members. Keep the B1G research alliance prestigious, the research grant money will keep flowing, and that will continue to always outweigh the potential athletic profits.

Just a fun thought exercise. I can't imagine it ever actually happening (no need to tell me "this is dumb, you are dumb, it would never happen"). But, it's something I'd love to see. Because, yeah, media rights are fantastic. But, as Taji34 points out, that gov't research money is fantastic, too.

Start with the following teams:
The B1G
Arizona
California
Colorado
Duke
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Kansas
Oregon
Pitt
Stanford
UCLA
UNC
USC
Utah
Virginia
Washington

If possible, steal Missouri and/or Vanderbilt from the SEC (I wanted to include TAMU, but I see they're stating their intent to stay SEC). Maybe let any of Buffalo, Rice, or Tulane tag along to be punching bags.

Keep Nebraska or toss them away. Maybe SEC would take them as a punching bag, all while their fans (and the media, for some reason) swear that this will be the year that Nebraska comes back.

Quit the NCAA and form their own organization made up of these AAU teams. 4 conferences/divisions of 8 to 10 teams. Only the 4 conference/division champions compete for playoff (I don't want to add more games to the playoffs - 4 is physically demanding enough).

Have your own TV network and a streaming service that does not require having a cable TV account.

New organization has its own bowl games. Bowl games no longer get to say "well, we're supposed to take the 3rd best team from this conference, but we'd rather take the 6th best team because we think they'll travel better."

Notre Dame ends up on the outside looking in, but likely would plead to join the SEC.

The B12 is over. If AAU membership is still of importance then Kansas & ISU make sense to the B1G regardless of what ISU offers.

Top Bottom