Confernce Realignment Chaos is Here!!!!!! (maybe ... probabbly not) (Rumor Texas and OK reach out to SEC about joining)

The Big Ten has no reason to expand right now, even if Texas and Oklahoma (for some reason) switch to the SEC starting next year.

Whoever is available now, will likely be even more available in the future; and probably even several newly dissatisfied schools. So this seems like a bad time to just add bodies.

The Big Ten has no reason to expand right now, even if Texas and Oklahoma (for some reason) switch to the SEC starting next year.

Whoever is available now, will likely be even more available in the future; and probably even several newly dissatisfied schools. So this seems like a bad time to just add bodies.
The exception being if Texas and Oklahoma fall through.

if the big ten added Texas and Oklahoma and moved Purdue to the east. It would be set forever.

Except that they need to stay competitive in terms of fanbase to keep pulling in the cable revenue. They need to respond to UT and OU making this move.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ghorns-formally-notify-sec-membership-request

Oklahoma and Texas have formally notified the SEC they are seeking "an invitation for membership" beginning July 1, 2025, according to a joint statement from the flagship programs of the Big 12.

According to the release, OU and Texas sent SEC commissioner Greg Sankey their request this morning.

"The two universities look forward to the prospect of discussion regarding the matter," the statement read.

In a statement, Sankey said the SEC presidents and chancellors would consider the requests, noting that at least three-fourths of the SEC's 14 members schools is required to extend an invitation.

"While the SEC has not proactively sought new members, we will pursue significant change when there is a clear consensus among our members that such actions will further enrich the experiences of our student-athletes and lead to greater academic and athletic achievement across our campuses," he said in the statement.

Sources said SEC president and chancellors are expected to meet Thursday to consider the schools for membership.

This will force the Big XII's hand to make a decision:

- either give OU and Texas a decent settlement agreement, allowing them to join the SEC before 2025, and get something out of it
- or get dropped like a sack of trash in 2025, and get nothing.

Shouldn't be a hard decision, for adults. But I have a feeling there will be a lot of very bitter, children at the table, smashing their fists.

ND and UVa are #1 and #2 but UNC would be great too.
Virginia and North Carolina couldn't do it until 2037 I believe. The buyout would be impossibly expensive to do now.

Plus those schools founded and love the ACC. I don't think they want to leave, even for substantially more money.

ESPN owns the ACC and SEC now. Who knows, they (ESPN) may push to combine the leagues together by then and pay everyone the same (or kick out the very low end schools like Vandy, Wake Forest, and Boston College, etc.)

Who knows what we'll be saying in another 10 years.

I love Gopher football. I love Big Ten football. I love college football. But a lot of this is making me wonder if I'm just better off spending my Saturday's in the fall in Collegeville, St. Peter, Northfield, Moorhead, or a small campus in the MSP area.....

I'm not there yet.....but I've taken a step closer.

16 should be the max for any conference.
The BIG should go after ND and if they refuse then send their hockey team packing.
After that if the BIG wants to grow their footprint, either add Kansas or Colorado (not sure why they don't have a hockey program)

16 should be the max for any conference.
The BIG should go after ND and if they refuse then send their hockey team packing.
After that if the BIG wants to grow their footprint, either add Kansas or Colorado (not sure why they don't have a hockey program)
If you leave a footstep in the Kansas football stadium and no one sees it did you really ever go there?

This was 100% driven by the enormous TV deal ESPN signed with the SEC.

FOX is up next, and when the top Pac 12 teams join the B1G, it will be driven 100% by that deal.

USC and UCLA would be at the top of that list, followed by Oregon, Washington, and Colorado.

Last edited:

If FOX is willing to pay top dollar for a PAC-Big Ten super league, as some speculate the ACC/SEC may be headed towards …. bring it on! Conf champ game at the Rose Bowl.

Would love to see Iowa State, Kansas, and Missouri somehow included, to go with Colorado.

Not sure if Oregon St and Wash St would make it, from the PAC side or if there’s anyone else ot west worth adding.

FOX is up next, and when the top Pac 12 teams join the B1G, it will be driven 100% by that deal.

USC and UCLA would be at the top of that list, followed by Oregon, Washington, and Colorado.
Could be. I still think it’ll be a less of a conference combo and more of a BigPac joint media venture and non conference scheduling agreement in football and basketball

I say just join ... both the PAC and B1G ... under one sports media deal.

Let the conferences operate on their own otherwise, but the media deal is shared to provide geographic coverage / stability.

That would allow B1G to bring in Iowa State or some schools without sweating geography every time.

Let the conferences operate on their own otherwise, but the media deal is shared to provide geographic coverage / stability.

That would allow B1G to bring in Iowa State or some schools without sweating geography every time.
The revenue sharing negotiation would be an issue

A merger would be ok and the best cultural fit among all the big conferences.

However, there's a lot of deadweight in that conference. I doubt you could purge teams in that scenario.

A merger would be ok and the best cultural fit among all the big conferences.

However, there's a lot of deadweight in that conference. I doubt you could purge teams in that scenario.
Everyone has "dead weight", that's where you get Wins.... and sometimes geography that you want ... but aren't a fan of the team.

Everyone has "dead weight", that's where you get Wins.... and sometimes geography that you want ... but aren't a fan of the team.
Like 8-10 of the pac 12 teams would be dead weight to the big ten if it was equal revenue sharing. Would be better off going alone.

Like 8-10 of the pac 12 teams would be dead weight to the big ten if it was equal revenue sharing. Would be better off going alone.
Which teams are you thinking would be dead weight?

I love Gopher football. I love Big Ten football. I love college football. But a lot of this is making me wonder if I'm just better off spending my Saturday's in the fall in Collegeville, St. Peter, Northfield, Moorhead, or a small campus in the MSP area.....

I'm with you. The conference rivalry traditions, which I enjoy and draw me to college FB, are getting destroyed in the Power 5 for the pursuit of more coin.

On a much smaller scale, the creation of the BG10 conference in hockey and elimination of old rivalries there also destroyed enjoyment for a lot fans.

Which teams are you thinking would be dead weight?
In terms of which teams bring more revenue to the table than they would take out of the big ten revenue pie..USC and Oregon would gain the big ten revenue per team.

Colorado, Stanford, washington, and UCLA would maybe gain revenue per team.

If the big ten added 6 from the west coast, it would be those 6.

In terms of which teams bring more revenue to the table than they would take out of the big ten revenue pie..USC and Oregon would gain the big ten revenue per team.

Colorado, Stanford, washington, and UCLA would maybe gain revenue per team.

If the big ten added 6 from the west coast, it would be those 6.
Arizona schools wouldn't?

Arizona schools wouldn't?
I don’t think many people follow those schools

I might have Arizona state a bit under valued. But those schools aren’t more valuable to a tv contract than MN is and MN is probably dead weight in the big ten. At best they’re equal to MN

I don’t think many people follow those schools

I might have Arizona state a bit under valued. But those schools aren’t more valuable to a tv contract than MN is and MN is probably dead weight in the big ten. At best they’re equal to MN
Doesn't getting btn on the air in Arizona get us money?

Think about what is actually being purchased, and why.

The conf doesn’t just utter the words “Big Ten”, waive its hands fast, and then suddenly $50M/year/school magically appears.

It’s games, and more importantly it’s expected viewership per game.

Having enough sexy, high viewership games —
games that casual CFB fans might care about even if they don’t live in the area — is what makes your TV rights worth a lot of money.

I do think an agreement (ie stopping short of a formal merger) between the Big Ten and the PAC could work.

But only if that said agreement produces enough high-quality games, and throughout the whole season. Meaning, for multiple reasons, they can’t just all happen in the first few weeks.

Pulling it out of my rear end: maybe you play 6 games against your division (PAC expand to 14), then you play 4-5 games over all three other divisions (BT West, East, PAC North, South). Maybe that doesn’t even do it, though. No idea

Last edited:

Yeah but it also gives the Big Ten two more mouths to feed.
Problem is if you start doing the math on every rando school and start to think about kicking them ... then everyone gonna make a run for it.

I think a bigger / more stable umbrella with a big pay day has more stability than getting super granular about everything.

That will end up being where real college football is at

Top Bottom