Carlos Morris Dismissed

If Pitino felt he had reason to dismiss Morris because he was being detrimental to the team he had every right to dismiss him...and I don't think he needs to explain why at this point. Stuff like this does happen in college basketball. I hope Carlos Morris finishes his degree and lands on his feet, but we don't know all that went on and probably don't need to. I'm glad Pitino didn't say more about it.

I don't know if Pitino has problems with his people skills, but I've heard that the players do love him....at least they did the last two years...and I have no reason to believe they don't still like him this year. so i'm not sure that is a problem.

My problem with Pitino has nothing to do with Morris, or Martin, or Elliot, or Lofton. My problem is that we went from a team that finished 8-10 in the B1G his first year, to a team that disappointed and went 6-12 last year, and now we are 0-13 and on our way to 2-16. His first year we did well....better than expected...and honestly that team could have gone to the NCAA Tournament. Last year was very disappointing....as most people expected us to be better than the year before and make the NCAA Tournament. A lot of the talk on this board was that many of you couldn't wait to get rid of Tubby's guys like Andre Hollins, Walker and Elliot as the year dragged on. Well there aren't any of Tubby's guys left and I don't know what I see that makes me think Pitino is going to make us a consistently top 6 team in the B1G. I understand we had two transfers who aren't eligible this year and Jarvis Johnson isn't being allowed to play because of the U's doctors, and not Pitino. But despite a few moral victories, this year has been very disappointing.

It's a cycle. Next year Fran M. of Iowa may go 4-14 who knows. Would that mean he has the program on a downward trend? Nope - he just a had a great year and he's retooling. With Pitino we don't know because he hasn't had a big year yet. The way this was done makes this a first year type of squad. You can say that Pitino has made some mistakes-and you'd be right. However, we now see some talent here- hard to deny that the frosh class is competing pretty well.... and then there is another one on the way, perhaps with a star in Coffey. It's up to each fan to be patient or not and there is good reason on both sides.

It's a cycle. Next year Fran M. of Iowa may go 4-14 who knows. Would that mean he has the program on a downward trend? Nope - he just a had a great year and he's retooling. With Pitino we don't know because he hasn't had a big year yet. The way this was done makes this a first year type of squad. You can say that Pitino has made some mistakes-and you'd be right. However, we now see some talent here- hard to deny that the frosh class is competing pretty well.... and then there is another one on the way, perhaps with a star in Coffey. It's up to each fan to be patient or not and there is good reason on both sides.

Good post

I thought a "Tubby Hater" was someone who doesn't like fat people...........

I hate to say it, but I see the Pitino vs. Tubby argument becoming the Basketball board's equivalent of the "Mason vs ......." arguments on the Football board, where people are always ready to argue the merits of Mason vs. Brewster, Kill, Claeys, etc.

As Tim1406 just said, there is no way to prove what would have happened if Tubby had stayed - or if Teague would have hired Coach "X" instead of Pitino. It's a completely pointless argument - which is why it fits so perfectly here on Gopher Hole.

If I'm going to pine for a past coach, it sure isn't going to be Tubby. Maybe Dutcher- coach of the last untainted Big10 champions.

I thought a "Tubby Hater" was someone who doesn't like fat people...........

I hate to say it, but I see the Pitino vs. Tubby argument becoming the Basketball board's equivalent of the "Mason vs ......." arguments on the Football board, where people are always ready to argue the merits of Mason vs. Brewster, Kill, Claeys, etc.

As Tim1406 just said, there is no way to prove what would have happened if Tubby had stayed - or if Teague would have hired Coach "X" instead of Pitino. It's a completely pointless argument - which is why it fits so perfectly here on Gopher Hole.

Excellent points! May as well be "What if Chris Weber had joined Voshonn here at Minnesota?"

Exactly right. Too often people look solely at the won/loss record and make determinations without acknowledging context. There are a ton of teams on a "downward trend" this year (Duke/Kentucky/Ohio State/Wisconsin to name a few) that have more to do with the composition of the roster (younger, whatever) than on the coach. It's the nature of college sports. You don't build through the draft and you don't get to keep your players longer than four years. It's not that complicated.

But what you can look at is how did the team perform against expectations. In year one, the team was better than I expected. In year two, it was markedly worse than I expected. This year, they are modestly worse than I expected. If next year becomes a four win Big Ten season, it will again be worse than I expected and I will move to the other side of the Pitino argument. For now, I want to see what next year brings.

Move back to Amsterdam and have a Heineken.

Well I got my Cooking Merit Badge by making Peach Cobbler in a Dutch Oven.....over a wood fire of course.

AND at Camp Wilderness.....if anyone remembers that place.

Yep, they are missing mouse tonight... They may not hold on for the W but it doesn't seem like the team is missing him at all. I don't especially like Crispin but he made some good comments pregame about setting down team rules. Potential doesn't win games but the Gophers are playing a lot of youngsters and some highly-rated kids coming in next year. Future looks good. Don't understand all the anti-Pitino stuff in these threads. Give him and his staff some time.

You've really made a push for the most classless poster here lately. I wonder how many total posts you have ripping Carlos, including that full analysis of why you hated him on a thread about him attending a funeral.

Carlos has done nothing to earn my respect. In fact, his obvious lack of respect for his coach, teammates & our program have led me to yearn fo the day we'd be rid of him. He was a cancer. A Senior who refused to pass, box out, fight through screens, play defense or play within the framework of the offensive game plan. Over and over we watched him kill any momentum we had with his selfish play, driving headlong into the lane or jacking up shots with 25 seconds left on the shot clock or teammates standing wide open. Then, to have the gall to talk about himself as an NBA player & one of the best in the B1G, well sorry, I just lost my compassion for the guy. Now he gets himself kicked off the team for disrespecting the coach & we still can't say anything about him? He's been a detriment to the team since the day ge stepped foot on campus & a horrible role model to the younger players. It's no coincidence the team's best games have all been with him out.

Carlos has done nothing to earn my respect. In fact, his obvious lack of respect for his coach, teammates & our program have led me to yearn fo the day we'd be rid of him. He was a cancer. A Senior who refused to pass, box out, fight through screens, play defense or play within the framework of the offensive game plan. Over and over we watched him kill any momentum we had with his selfish play, driving headlong into the lane or jacking up shots with 25 seconds left on the shot clock or teammates standing wide open. Then, to have the gall to talk about himself as an NBA player & one of the best in the B1G, well sorry, I just lost my compassion for the guy. Now he gets himself kicked off the team for disrespecting the coach & we still can't say anything about him? He's been a detriment to the team since the day ge stepped foot on campus & a horrible role model to the younger players. It's no coincidence the team's best games have all been with him out.

Agreed. No coincidence at all, Morris' lack of team play and effort was a big part of the team's problem.

Plus, if we're counting White (a guy who never wore a Gopher uniform), then we also have to count Nwankwo (a guy who never wore a Gopher uniform).

Do you honestly think those examples are comparable? Nwankwo never took up a scholarship spot, and in the end, him not getting in actually benefitted us (Murphy took his scholarship). White took up a roster spot and provided nothing but negative publicity for the program. I guess that doesn't support your agenda though.

Ha, your delusion and hatred for Tubby know no bounds. It has been less than 3 calendar years since Pitino was hired. Armelin wasn't even on the radar when Tubby was at just under 3 calendar years. His last season was Tubby's 5th. Pitino won't even get a 5th season.
Both were slotted for scholarship spots and never played due to circumstances outside of the coach's control.

Your love for Tubby and hate for Pitino know no bounds. This is one of the biggest stretches I've ever seen you make to fit your agenda. The comparison of White and Nwanko is just comical. Both were slotted for scholarships? Are you pretending that White didn't take up the scholarship? Also, which makes more sense when comparing how many players have transferred from a coach's recruiting classes... comparing recruiting classes or comparing calendar years? Tubby is gone. Why can't you just get over that?

All completely irrelevant. I guess if a player hasn't earned your respect yet then it's not considered classless to rip him multiple times on a thread about him attending a funeral. You really love typing up that essay of why you hate Carlos. Is that essay number 100 on him?

Here's to you Mr. Internet Tough Guy, we salute you.

I am surprised at how this board is not the least bit concerned about the way Pitino has treated one of his seniors. Morris must clearly have done something wrong, but to dismiss a senior with just a few more games left in the season appears to me as cruel. Couldn't Pitino have dealt with this another way, say bench Morris for a game or more to maintain the dignity of the program and give Morris the chance to to be appreciated on Senior Day?

I am surprised at how this board is not the least bit concerned about the way Pitino has treated one of his seniors. Morris must clearly have done something wrong, but to dismiss a senior with just a few more games left in the season appears to me as cruel. Couldn't Pitino have dealt with this another way, say bench Morris for a game or more to maintain the dignity of the program and give Morris the chance to to be appreciated on Senior Day?

Maybe I might have missed something but I'm not sure i saw a player comment on Morris after the game. Maybe that's telling maybe it was instructed I'm not sure. What I do know is that we know nothing more than the press release.

Carlos has done nothing to earn my respect. ......

Who do you think you are and who the hell cares if a player earns "your" respect.

Mr Morris wore the M on his jersey and he played his heart out trying to do his best for the U. Many may not agree with how he played, but he deserves some respect for representing the U. And he does not need to be torn apart by some big, tough anonymous poster on a public forum. This is a major turning point in the young man's life and we all hope he learns from it and gets his degree.

Show some sort of common decency and try to filter your rants before you start typing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think amidst the over the top vitriol spritzed throughout this thread, there has been a lot of compassion for Carlos and his plight. "Not the least bit concerned" is not an accurate assessment of the thoughts communicated on this board. What many have indicated is that they believe Carlos was not contributing much to the team on the floor and none of us really knows what went down between him and Pitino to create this sad ending to his career.

If it is possible to give both of them the benefit of the doubt, that's what I will do. I can understand a senior getting p.o'd about being benched. I can also understand a coach frustrated with a senior leader who played little defense and often out of control offense. I can also understand them not coming to a consensus about how to handle the situation. To call Carlos a "cancer" is grossly unfair. To call Pitino heartless is equally unfair, as is the implication that he did this impulsively. For most bosses, canning someone is painful. I can't imagine this being any different.

It's a sad but not unusual situation in the college game. Time to move on and hope Carlos takes advantage of the opportunity to get a degree, and the program improves.

I'm sure Carlos is deeply disappointed not to have earned your respect.

There are a lot of people on this board (myself included) who don't like his game. You made it personal. What a drama queen.

Sometimes a player leaves the coach no choice. Since we have no idea what happened, I choose to give coach the benefit of the doubt on this one.

He's been a detriment to the team since the day he stepped foot on campus & a horrible role model to the younger players. It's no coincidence the team's best games have all been with him out.

Couldn't agree more. This game sucked.

Well, regardless of where fault lies, the rest of the team responded pretty well last night. It surprised me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We have no idea what transpired to his dismissal. However, I am one who has always thought the game was all about Carlos and not about the team. He was very close to getting the moniker "black hole" offensively. He didn't seem to trust anyone else on the team and rarely did, what we saw last night, drive and kick it back out. When he drove, you knew what was coming...a missed floater many times, but he was taking the shot.

Hes a kid, I wish him well, but for all of you think coach could have handled it differently because there was so little time in the season, have no idea what position Carlos put coach in.

We will more than likely never know.

Maybe I might have missed something but I'm not sure i saw a player comment on Morris after the game. Maybe that's telling maybe it was instructed I'm not sure. What I do know is that we know nothing more than the press release.

Someone in the media tweeted that the players facetimed with Carlos in the locker room. He was happy for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you honestly think those examples are comparable? Nwankwo never took up a scholarship spot, and in the end, him not getting in actually benefitted us (Murphy took his scholarship). White took up a roster spot and provided nothing but negative publicity for the program. I guess that doesn't support your agenda though.

Ya but he did provide some memorable you tube videos. One would've thought Myron was working for TMZ that season

Top Bottom