Carlos Morris Dismissed

Second-guessing implies that you know only with the benefit of hindsight. I said before it even happened that firing Tubby without a legitimate replacement locked in was a colossal mistake. Tubby was nothing great here, but far preferable to the current situation. Firing someone just because you want to, without a plan in place, is the kind of decision that gets you the worst season in school history.

Cool you want a cookie or something?

Who will charge head long, out-of-control into the lane with no intention of passing, with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, step out of bounds & then dog it back the other way down the court?
The other senior?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Short of Morris quitting I don't understand it, maybe he did quit, if not Pitino would have to be pretty thin skinned to cut him from the team because of a confrontation at this point, suspend him for a game, work through it, people have disagreements, that is part of being a manager, cutting him is taking the easy way out in my mind and will be in the back of every players mind as long as they are at Minnesota.
+1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Short of Morris quitting I don't understand it, maybe he did quit, if not Pitino would have to be pretty thin skinned to cut him from the team because of a confrontation at this point, suspend him for a game, work through it, people have disagreements, that is part of being a manager, cutting him is taking the easy way out in my mind and will be in the back of every players mind as long as they are at Minnesota.

smh

Employers would say - 'Sometimes the boss needs to be tough'.

Employees would say - 'It isn't fair'.

Oh, and I love the insinuation that being a fringe Tournament team (fringe Tournament teams don't win games in the Tournament, btw) is somehow worse than struggling to win a single game in the Big Ten in year 3.

good point, hence the reason that minnesota was a fringe tournament team under tubby. minnesota never won ncaa tournament games (plural as you used) under tubby. so using your own rationale, we were a fringe tournament team since we never won games.

Exactly. Plus, there is no doubt in my mind that Buggs would be one of the better players in the SWAC. He starts in the Big Ten. The meteorologist can call it "preposterous" if he wants, but I take it as a virtual certainty if he disagrees, given that he's shown little evidence of knowing anything about basketball (or football). Morris is just the latest cherry atop the gigantic sundae of evidence that Pitino is in way, way over his head and has no business being anywhere near the Big Ten.

Buggs sure dominated those lower level teams in the non-conference. Keep talking though, you continue to show how little you know about basketball.

Buggs sure dominated those lower level teams in the non-conference. Keep talking though, you continue to show how little you know about basketball.

He isn't the best player on his own team, nor close to it. Why would he dominate, regardless of opponent? The quality of the opponent doesn't change the relative strength of the players on one's own team. If he were playing in the SWAC, he would easily be among the best players on any team and would play very well (I've never once said "dominate" - you did).

He isn't the best player on his own team, nor close to it. Why would he dominate, regardless of opponent? The quality of the opponent doesn't change the relative strength of the players on one's own team. If he were playing in the SWAC, he would easily be among the best players on any team and would play very well (I've never once said "dominate" - you did).

And if Tubby were still here, Buggs would be the best player on this year's Gopher team. Imagine how much worse things could be.

Buggs??? Please accept the guy isn't very good. He wasn't even one of the best players on his High School and Prep School teams. Why would he even start for a SWAC team?
In as far as kicking Morris off the team that wasn't the easy road but the tough one. Why would Pitino want this in the headlines and have to deal with it? He made the tough call not the easy one.

And if Tubby were still here, Buggs would be the best player on this year's Gopher team.

I highly doubt that, but I understand that narrative -- Previous Coach coach would never, ever again get another good player to come here -- is a popular one here.

Imagine how much worse things could be.
Worse than 0-13 with 5 games to play? In Year 3?

Beat Maryland.

He starts for a Big Ten team. Are the Gophers worse than SWAC teams?
He plays because we have no one else. My problem with this coaching staff is they got us in a position of being so thin numbers wise. Some which is their fault some which is bad luck. That said giving Pitino at least one more year in looking at the players here and coming in seems reasonable.

It is hard for me to believe that the program isn't falling apart. You have a novice coach who is in over his head, several of his recruits have jus not worked out for various reasons, many of his players have digressed once they become part of the program, and they have not won a game in the Big Ten. It seems to me the wheels are not even on the cart anymore. They have long fallen off. Sad but true.

Anyone know why Amir Coffey hasn't been playing? Are we sure there isn't something going on there?
Coffey played in his last game and he's not on our team yet, him missing couple of games has nothing to do with the U

So many speculations on this thread... so many anti-team/anti-coach speculations. I'm guessing Morris had it coming or Pitino would not have dismissed him. if the dude has a poor attitude and argues with the coach in front of other players....out he goes!

So many speculations on this thread... so many anti-team/anti-coach speculations. I'm guessing Morris had it coming or Pitino would not have dismissed him. if the dude has a poor attitude and argues with the coach in front of other players....out he goes!

Can't make it up. You started your post with this:

"So many speculations on this thread."

Then later in the post you speculated this:

" I'm guessing Morris had it coming or Pitino would not have dismissed him."

And speculated this:

"if the dude has a poor attitude and argues with the coach in front of other players....out he goes!"

Go Gophers!!

Might as well throw a speculation out like the rest

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's shocking to me that Morris averaged 1.7 assists/game. I never saw him pass the ball!

Ha, your delusion and hatred for Tubby know no bounds. It has been less than 3 calendar years since Pitino was hired. Armelin wasn't even on the radar when Tubby was at just under 3 calendar years. His last season was Tubby's 5th. Pitino won't even get a 5th season.

With the exception of Chip his statement is accurate about Tubby's last recruiting class. Tubby deserved one more year, but personally I think Teague just sped up the process a season. It also seems to have reenergized Smith down in Lubbock good for him. If anything your hatred of Pitino is delusional and knows no bounds. You're turning into the Wren of the basketball board. Besides isn't this a Carlos Morris thread?

Many seem to believe Pitino made a hasty decision based on an alleged confrontation that occurred on Sunday. A couple of days passed before Morris was removed from the team. I think it's safe to assume there were other conversations that happened during that time and perhaps there was also another incident. Criticizing the decision with little or no information on our end seems premature.

I think it is certainly unfortunate that something like this happened and it will likely be a distraction. It may also result in younger guys feeling empowered and stepping up as leaders and players. I'm hopeful that things will work out for our squad and we will continue to see improved play. I'm also hopeful that Carlos will get his degree and be able to move forward with his life in a positive way.

On the Tubby topic, it seems clear that Tubby is an outstanding human being and a quality coach. I admire him. I'm glad he's having success and wish him well. I also feel like something went stale for him in his last couple of years here and the change of scenery was clearly good for him and Texas Tech. I also believe the Gophers needed a new approach and believe that Pitino can still be that guy. I don't understand why so many feel it's necessary to continually rehash the same arguments repeatedly. We seem to be spinning our wheels. Tubby's gone and is not coming back. I hope he does well because he's a good man, but I'd rather talk about the Gophers.

Sorry. This got longer than I intended.

Many seem to believe Pitino made a hasty decision based on an alleged confrontation that occurred on Sunday. A couple of days passed before Morris was removed from the team. I think it's safe to assume there were other conversations that happened during that time and perhaps there was also another incident. Criticizing the decision with little or no information on our end seems premature.

I think it is certainly unfortunate that something like this happened and it will likely be a distraction. It may also result in younger guys feeling empowered and stepping up as leaders and players. I'm hopeful that things will work out for our squad and we will continue to see improved play. I'm also hopeful that Carlos will get his degree and be able to move forward with his life in a positive way.

On the Tubby topic, it seems clear that Tubby is an outstanding human being and a quality coach. I admire him. I'm glad he's having success and wish him well. I also feel like something went stale for him in his last couple of years here and the change of scenery was clearly good for him and Texas Tech. I also believe the Gophers needed a new approach and believe that Pitino can still be that guy. I don't understand why so many feel it's necessary to continually rehash the same arguments repeatedly. We seem to be spinning our wheels. Tubby's gone and is not coming back. I hope he does well because he's a good man, but I'd rather talk about the Gophers.

x2

Learn to manage it, don't let it get to that point, this isn't the first time this has happened, I'm beginning to believe he has zero people skills which does not bode well for someone in that position, solution to boot someone off the team especially at this point in the season is the very last position that should be taken. If that is how he deals with difficult situations good luck, how would you like to work for someone like that much less be playing for him.

Learn to manage it, don't let it get to that point, this isn't the first time this has happened, I'm beginning to believe he has zero people skills which does not bode well for someone in that position, solution to boot someone off the team especially at this point in the season is the very last position that should be taken. If that is how he deals with difficult situations good luck, how would you like to work for someone like that much less be playing for him.

dismissing players happens from time to time. you don't want it to happen but it does. MSU and Izzo have dismissed Chris Allen, Kenny Kaminski and Korie Lucious since 2010 and I'm not sure anyone would argue that Izzo has no people skills.

Good grief.

If anything your hatred of Pitino is delusional and knows no bounds.

I don't hate Pitino. I think he's severely overmatched and I don't want him coaching my team, but I don't hate him. I also don't make up garbage about him to stretch the truth or outright lie like the Tubby Haters do.

Besides isn't this a Carlos Morris thread?

Tell it to the guy who brought Tubby lies into the thread.

If Pitino felt he had reason to dismiss Morris because he was being detrimental to the team he had every right to dismiss him...and I don't think he needs to explain why at this point. Stuff like this does happen in college basketball. I hope Carlos Morris finishes his degree and lands on his feet, but we don't know all that went on and probably don't need to. I'm glad Pitino didn't say more about it.

I don't know if Pitino has problems with his people skills, but I've heard that the players do love him....at least they did the last two years...and I have no reason to believe they don't still like him this year. so i'm not sure that is a problem.

My problem with Pitino has nothing to do with Morris, or Martin, or Elliot, or Lofton. My problem is that we went from a team that finished 8-10 in the B1G his first year, to a team that disappointed and went 6-12 last year, and now we are 0-13 and on our way to 2-16. His first year we did well....better than expected...and honestly that team could have gone to the NCAA Tournament. Last year was very disappointing....as most people expected us to be better than the year before and make the NCAA Tournament. A lot of the talk on this board was that many of you couldn't wait to get rid of Tubby's guys like Andre Hollins, Walker and Elliot as the year dragged on. Well there aren't any of Tubby's guys left and I don't know what I see that makes me think Pitino is going to make us a consistently top 6 team in the B1G. I understand we had two transfers who aren't eligible this year and Jarvis Johnson isn't being allowed to play because of the U's doctors, and not Pitino. But despite a few moral victories, this year has been very disappointing.

I don't hate Pitino. I think he's severely overmatched and I don't want him coaching my team, but I don't hate him. I also don't make up garbage about him to stretch the truth or outright lie like the Tubby Haters do.

I think claim things that nobody can prove is more appropriate. Nobody can prove what would have happened projecting what might have happened had Tubby stayed. Besides that what do "Tubby Haters" lie about? (I'm bored so i thought I'd see if you could humor me today on a slow day at work)

Top Bottom