Ben Johnson is a Disaster

There definitely is stuff to lose.
Feel free to continue living in dream land
Lol I’m living in dreamland by thinking we’ve bottomed out? Dreamland by thinking we are a bottom tier P5/P6 program? I think I’m just more realistic where we are right now.

We have a new set of alumni that graduate every year. The percentage of them that will not be fans could be lower cause we are bad, but some will still show up and replace the few that are hanging on imo. I think it’s super easy to get tickets right now as it is and honestly has been for 5-6 years. I also am worried that our TV money lets some non sports regents not care about the lost revenue. Again I think we are at rock bottom already attendance wise is my main point. I may be wrong and we will definitely see next year when numbers come out.

I get where you are coming from here and don’t blame you.
We do have new alumni every year. We have fewer and fewer students at the games. Do they come away with the feeling that they want to be long term fans or are they there because their parents sprung for the cheap tickets and they get a night out with their friends? I will give the kids credit- they did their best to hang in there and be loud in the first half of the Purdue game. It's just not much fun right now though.

Lol I’m living in dreamland by thinking we’ve bottomed out? Dreamland by thinking we are a bottom tier P5/P6 program? I think I’m just more realistic where we are right now.
That is a completely different argument than what I’m saying.
You just changed the subject.
Thanks for making my point

If we stay bottomed out, we will continue to lose fan support.

If he goes 4-16, 2-18, 5-15 how would recruiting not fall off? And why would Battle or Garcia come back for their final years of eligibility?
I don’t disagree with this at all. I think it would and we’d have more than enough justification for firing.
Apparently we can just build through the portal though no matter how bad we’ve been before? ISU and Kansas State have shown us that? So who knows?
If we only win 5 B1G games next year I’ll be on the train to move on.

That is a completely different argument than what I’m saying.
You just changed the subject.
Thanks for making my point

If we stay bottomed out, we will continue to lose fan support.
I didn’t change anything. We just disagree on the amount of support we have to lose. That’s fair.

Still amazed that some here guarantee Ben is here for 5 years. Lose every game for 5 years and he is still here. Oh ok.

Here is your post from Jan 1

“So correct. New year so I am trying to ease up on sht posts. They add nothing and simply are me venting. Happy new year”

You forgot about that in a heartbeat, so I’m guessing you probably also forgot if there was any push for ‘Otz’.
That sounds like a mea culpa to The Mods post banning 😉

Johnson must make the NCAA Tournament next year or he is fired.

-Bfan 1:20
Not positive the threshold will be quite that high but if there are not obvious signs of improvement in year 3 it is possible they make a move at the end of the year.

Gotta believe that at minimum the team needs to be middle of the pack in year 3. Some sign that things are moving in the right direction.

Not positive the threshold will be quite that high but if there are not obvious signs of improvement in year 3 it is possible they make a move at the end of the year.

Gotta believe that at minimum the team needs to be middle of the pack in year 3. Some sign that things are moving in the right direction.
Well, if we are middle of the B1G then we should make the tournament. If we are bottom third of the B1G then we won't make the tournament.

So, if we don't make the NCAA tournament, we won't be in the upper two-thirds of the B1G and the coach's seat should be warming up intensely.

I don’t think the Sutton and Knight ones work because they had legal issues/administrative issues.

You brought up some that are fair to use as some precedence, but it’s still ridiculously rare and won’t happen after 3 years here unless we see a mass exodus, scandal, or academics fall drastically. We won’t do it because of our admin and their tendencies, we won’t do it because of whom the person is, and we won’t do it because of the media. Whether it’s justified or not from the W-L record.
This is just a list of reasons to stop caring about this University’s athletics, to be honest. Just a full acknowledgment that none of the admin values being competitive. I’m not ready to say fire now, or after 3, or 4, but if the AD isn’t constantly reevaluating based on performance and projected improvement then why does anyone watch?

I could lower the bar even further personally (ideally outside of bottom 4 and a notable upset or two, no blowouts, etc), but the arrow absolutely has to be pointing upwards after 3.

On the flip side, an ill-timed fire and poor replacement can set a program 3-5 years…. If I’m the AD, I’m working hard on my wish list right now for after year 3 and keeping an open mind.

Thought this team would be better, even with all the freshmen. Certainly did not anticipate that Battle would go from all B1G to one of the worst metrics players in the league. CBJ will need to recruit some serious shooting or next year wont be that much different regardless of whether Battle and/or Garcia are around.

This is just a list of reasons to stop caring about this University’s athletics, to be honest. Just a full acknowledgment that none of the admin values being competitive. I’m not ready to say fire now, or after 3, or 4, but if the AD isn’t constantly reevaluating based on performance and projected improvement then why does anyone watch?
It’s part of why I’ve said a lot of times that is a tough job to be successful at. Scary part is I think this admin is the most competitive and willing to spend that we’ve had in a 30-40 years.
I think if Ben only wins 3 games in the B1G next year he’ll be gone. That would lead to recruiting falling off and probably an exodus.

It’s part of why I’ve said a lot of times that is a tough job to be successful at. Scary part is I think this admin is the most competitive and willing to spend that we’ve had in a 30-40 years.
I think if Ben only wins 3 games in the B1G next year he’ll be gone. That would lead to recruiting falling off and probably an exodus.
By hiring a head men's bb coach that had zero hc experience leads me to believe the administration at the u isn't competitive at all.

It's rare because rarely are coaches this bad in their first two seasons. What we are seeing with this program so far under Ben is abnormal, and historically bad.

If the U is going to continue to make decisions based on what outsiders and the media think, despite having some of the worst on the court results in the history of the program, then there's no longer a point in supporting this program until that changes.
This coupled with zero track record of winning. If we had hired Gates or Smith, you could at least bank on the idea that he had previous success.

Just hire Greg Marshall - he’ll have been off the radar for a few years, but my god can he produce results
Lol I don’t know if he’d be able to recruit anybody anymore after his incident at Witchita State. Dude did win a lot of games and could get teams to defend.

Lol I don’t know if he’d be able to recruit anybody anymore after his incident at Witchita State. Dude did win a lot of games and could get teams to defend.
Water under the bridge. All these guys with issues come back from the dead at some point

Top Bottom