Assistant Coaches

Before we take this report as gospel, can we recognize:
* Doogie has flung a lot of feces against the wall over the years and most of it hasn’t stuck
* The same day we see a report that Conroy is the leading contender for Utah State which of course would be the major reason why he hasn’t been announced as being retained
* Doogie’s tossing out a nugget that can never be confirmed nor would anyone with a brain ever say any such thing on record. Who’s putting up the resistance? The question of assistant coaches wasn’t discussed with Coyle with Conroy and Thorson as part of the conversation? (Seems unlikely) My BS detector’s going off on this one.
Its really incredible how much shit the guy can throw at the wall as speculation, and spin it as well I heard some rumbling from a few guys. Guy rarely hears anything of substance, just picks something within the realm of possibility to lean on that he leaves open ended so he can say he thinks he was right lol.

GopherTeetch logic....Star Tribune makes observation/publishes story of racial make up of U of M coaches>MplsGopher is offended>U hires black coach>must be because of star tribune

Nice

MN should use the same approach to hiring coaches that they do with acquiring new basketball players. Go get the people you thought were not good enough for your team 4 years ago.

This is incredible.

First of all, "very soon" isn't exactly going out on a limb as a scoop to the question of "When will he hire assistants?".

That answer would be accurate for every newly hired coach, everywhere, always.

It's like passing off "very soon" as a scoop to the question, "When will the next full moon occur."

Of COURSE it'll be "very soon."

And second, the "there's resistance" line is such obvious bullshit no person with a triple digit IQ could possibly give it a second thought.

MN should use the same approach to hiring coaches that they do with acquiring new basketball players. Go get the people you thought were not good enough for your team 4 years ago.
I know it's hard to believe after the last 8 years but players actually get better over time and aren't the same players they were 4 years ago.

This is incredible.

First of all, "very soon" isn't exactly going out on a limb as a scoop to the question of "When will he hire assistants?".

That answer would be accurate for every newly hired coach, everywhere, always.

It's like passing off "very soon" as a scoop to the question, "When will the next full moon occur."

Of COURSE it'll be "very soon."

And second, the "there's resistance" line is such obvious bullshit no person with a triple digit IQ could possibly give it a second thought.

I bet we have an assistant by the weekend. Is that very soon? Again Doogie annoys me, but in regards to Ben Johnson he's been early and on this one. It was also pretty obvious back when Ben was here that he was a "source" for Doogie. I hope common sense prevails and it's just Doogie doing his normal stirring, but it's an odd thing to make up considering he's always been pro Ed and pro Thorson. He could easily be spinning it so they can not have a reason to come too.

Do what??

They can't prove he said anything.

Clearly you're not getting, and don't want to get it. We can just agree to disagree.
Clearly you're not getting it either. So in this case we know (as do Coyle anf Gable likely) that Ben is a source for Doogie. Don't you think that they may not appreciate a leak like that and can reasonably assume it's source?. I would think that would lead to an uncomfortable work environment now and in the future. We can agree to disagree on that if you like if you don't think Coyle and Gable are that smart. Or that Ben isn't that dumb.

you get awfully combative
Replying = combative?

Very, very strange take.

Yeah I admit, I have a very high reply and post rate, and that grinds some folks' gears. Well, that's what the ignore feature is for, and I suggest it often.

To be clear, as I recall, he discussed why both candidates were good fits and then said on the other hand there was resistance to the idea of both of them due to both being old white men/having too much overlap. He didn't say that's what Ben wants. It could be Doogie offered the suggestion and Ben was the one offering resistance to the idea.

I'm not sure Liam follows Ed to Utah State. First, if Queto (sp?) stays, he obviously doesn't go there. Even if he follows Smith to Utah, does Liam want to go down a level of competition? Also, does he get a 2nd waiver?

I'm not sure Liam follows Ed to Utah State. First, if Queto (sp?) stays, he obviously doesn't go there. Even if he follows Smith to Utah, does Liam want to go down a level of competition? Also, does he get a 2nd waiver?
Agreed. This wouldn’t make any sense.
Liam transferring to Iowa or Wisconsin could be a risk. No inside info. He redshirted so very well could have enough credits to grad transfer. No idea if that would get him a waiver.

EDIT: I don’t think he redshirted so ignore this post. I know he did a year of prep post HS and the plan was to redshirt him but I think it didn’t happen.

I would bet that all assistants are announced at one time. One candidate may be still coaching for Baylor and one might be leaving to be a HC at Utah State. Until Baylor loses or Ed takes the Utah State job, this is very fluid. Probably another week.

Last edited:

I would bet that all assistants are announced at one time. Once candidate my be still coaching for Baylor and one might be leaving to be a HC at Utah State. Until Baylor loses or Ed takes the Utah State job, this is very fluid. Probably another week.

I'm just curious on the reasoning and positives of announcing them all at once? For one, the sooner we get one on the books, the sooner they are recruiting for us in a busy spring. Two we may be waiting on some to get other jobs (I don't think Utah State is the only one Conroy is going after). I get the idea of an official press conference or announcement from the U, but you'd think we'd hire/announce/leak one soon so they can start working the phones on recruits to help Ben out.

I'm just curious on the reasoning and positives of announcing them all at once? For one, the sooner we get one on the books, the sooner they are recruiting for us in a busy spring. Two we may be waiting on some to get other jobs (I don't think Utah State is the only one Conroy is going after). I get the idea of an official press conference or announcement from the U, but you'd think we'd hire/announce/leak one soon so they can start working the phones on recruits to help Ben out.
Exactly. We need them on the road connecting with recruits for next year and the class of 22. Now!

Honest question. In other coaching changes, have their assistants been announced yet? No matter the reason for the delay, this seems like an inordinately long time to wait for any real information other than our local fan favorite provincial list. I see no benefit at all of waiting until the whole slate is ready.

I get the idea of an official press conference or announcement from the U, but you'd think we'd hire/announce/leak one soon so they can start working the phones on recruits to help Ben out.

Agree. With so much movement and so much in flux right now, not only with Ben getting settled in but also with all the player movement and uncertainty across the NCAA landscape, the workload right now must be absolutely ginormous. RE: the portal, I'm sure Ben's already got some ideas of whom he'd like to have on his roster next year if possible, but then you've got to have fallback options in case those guys choose elsewhere, and then you've got to have fallbacks for the fallbacks and etc etc etc., all of which requires evaluation by looking at film and talking to fellow coaches. With so many spots potentially open on our roster, there's a vast amount of work involved in that, and that's not even mentioning forward looking recruiting (for '22, '23...), reconnecting with high school and AAU coaches in the area, and on and on and on.

I'm not sure who Ben has to help him out with all this stuff at this time, but I'm desperately hoping he's got some competent bodies on hand to assist him.

Can they work with recruits if they aren't publicly announced?

Exactly. We need them on the road connecting with recruits for next year and the class of 22. Now!

Honest question. In other coaching changes, have their assistants been announced yet? No matter the reason for the delay, this seems like an inordinately long time to wait for any real information other than our local fan favorite provincial list. I see no benefit at all of waiting until the whole slate is ready.
List of possibilities, waiting on Conroy decision or still in tourney or waiting for someone to say yes.

They don't need to be publicly announced to start working for the team.

Iowa State has announced two assistant additions. Both were announced separately

Top Bottom