Assistant Coaches

He also said there is "resistance" to having both Thorson and Conroy on the staff since they're both old white men. Good lord we are making this harder than it needs to be if that's true.
Where is the resistance coming from?

Doogies annoying, but Ben is a source of his. Doogies been more right that wrong the last couple weeks.

So Ben told Doogie, hey the U isn’t letting me pick my staff because I want two old white men? Zero chance.

The U lets every other coach pick their own assistants, that’s not changing now.

So Ben told Doogie, hey the U isn’t letting me pick my staff because I want two old white men? Zero chance.

The U lets every other coach pick their own assistants, that’s not changing now.
If you don’t think it’s possible in today’s environment I don’t know what to tell you

Ben could've told Doogie that there are some hiccups. You are right with the past hiring, but I don't feel this one was the same. I said in a post earlier that it'd be really something if they don't allow him to do so. I hope Doogie is just stirring it up, but he had no reason to in this case.

Exactly you can't hire a "diversity hire" and not let him pick his own staff. That would cause more issues than needed
Sure they can, because in their minds they are doing what is right, ends justify the means. There is a lot of white knight stuff going on in the woke culture, where white people like to tell black people what is best for them. Take for instance voter id where 70% of blacks agree with it, but certain whites believe blacks can’t figure out how to get id’s so they think they are saving blacks by fighting against voter id. I see it as completely possible that certain administration officials step in to tell Ben what to do because it’s the “right” thing, and actually be proud of themselves. Look if it makes sense to hire primarily for diversity sake for the HC, then why stop there because today’s assistants are tomorrow’s head coaches. If you hired primarily for diversity sake and not what’s best from a basketball standpoint then why does letting the HC build what he wants matter to you, because at this point it’s about diversity is success not success in basketball.

Who’s putting up the resistance?
Same person/people who dictated that the hire could not be white, in the first place, of course. Wild guess is Gable, regents, and/or some prominent boosters. Very concerned about the current cultural "moment" in this area, and how the wrong move could be a PR nightmare for the U.

Trying to please as many people as possible.

The question of assistant coaches wasn’t discussed with Coyle with Conroy and Thorson as part of the conversation? (Seems unlikely) My BS detector’s going off on this one.
Is it really that hard to fathom?

Here is an easy couple lines that I made up right now:
Coyle - "Ben, I want you to know that if you accept this job, there will be certain ... ah ... stipulations, on whom you'll be allowed to consider for your assistants. Do you understand what I'm saying"?
BJ - "Yes I understand, and that won't be a problem".

Get it? Shouldn't be hard.

If Ben isn’t picking his own staff, this place is more dysfunctional than even I could imagine.
Ben is picking his own staff. Doogie is a moron.

The world isn't binary, and this doesn't have to be either. IE, your implication that his entire staff is being picked for him.

They could just be dictating that it can only be Conroy or Thorson, with more freedom otherwise.

Doogie didn't say the U was limiting the hires. He said some "people" thought it wouldn't be wise to have two old white males on the staff. I'm guessing it has more to do with recruiting than the administration pushing back.

Ben isn't gonna throw his bosses under the bus his first week suggesting they are not letting him pick his staff.
What??

Where did Doogie say "Hey everyone! Hot take, right from the mouth of Ben Johnson! Check this out: ..."

Which quote? (honest question, please link, thank you!)
Doogies annoying, but Ben is a source of his. Doogies been more right that wrong the last couple weeks.

Subtly suggests that Ben leaked the info.

Subtly suggests that Ben leaked the info.
Oh, that quote.

You understand why they call it a "leak", right? The whole point is BJ can deny he ever said anything of the sort and there is no proof to the contrary.

Same person/people who dictated that the hire could not be white, in the first place, of course. Wild guess is Gable, regents, and/or some prominent boosters. Very concerned about the current cultural "moment" in this area, and how the wrong move could be a PR nightmare for the U.

Trying to please as many people as possible.

Is it really that hard to fathom?

Here is an easy couple lines that I made up right now:
Coyle - "Ben, I want you to know that if you accept this job, there will be certain ... ah ... stipulations, on whom you'll be allowed to consider for your assistants. Do you understand what I'm saying"?
BJ - "Yes I understand, and that won't be a problem".

Get it? Shouldn't be hard.
It also shouldn’t be hard to avoid leaping to conclusions from an unsubstantiated quote from the TC sports media’s leading hot take merchant, but hey, you be you.

Oh, that quote.

You understand why they call it a "leak", right? The whole point is BJ can deny he ever said anything of the sort and there is no proof to the contrary.
Like I said, almost no coach would do that and especially not his first week on the job. Whether it can be denied or not. Can't imagine the work environment if a coach actually did that.

He also said there is "resistance" to having both Thorson and Conroy on the staff since they're both old white men. Good lord we are making this harder than it needs to be if that's true.
Now we take Doogie as gospel??

Top Bottom