Assistant Coaches

If he doesn’t get a staff in place soon and start showing how and where he wants to lead this team, he isn’t gonna have any players left on the roster.

If he doesn’t get a staff in place soon and start showing how and where he wants to lead this team, he isn’t gonna have any players left on the roster.
For some reason I think players would know more than fans on his plans for the team.

Anytime you hire a coach there will be interest in the assistants. That interest will tend to be greater if you hire someone without a well established established track record. Generally, you want to see that the staff is well-rounded and that there are assistants to address any perceived shortcomings in the head coach.

When the Vikings hired Zimmer, people were interested in who would be the OC, because Zim is a defense-focused coach. I don't recall much discussion of who was on the defensive side because people were generally satisfied that Zimmer could handle that part of the job well.

With Ben, there is a concern about his lack of head coaching experience, so there is a keen interest in how he addresses that gap. If we had hired Dutcher, for example, there would have been a great interest in whether his staff included someone who had close ties to the local recruiting scene since he doesn't appear to have any recent history in that area and it was a perceived short-coming of the last head coach.

As to your last question, I am sure that there will be some negative reaction to the staff if it fails to address the areas where people perceive Ben to be lacking. If all the coaches are enthusiastic young recruiters with no history of involvement in game planning and game management, I'll be surprised. Just like I'd be surprised if they hired Dutch and his staff was made up of guys over 50 who haven't ever recruited in the Midwest.
Good points. I hope we aren't surprised (in a bad way) by whoever is hired to fill out the staff. I do think he needs one former/current head coach at the very least, maybe someone from a MN or WI successful D2/3 program.

Good points. I hope we aren't surprised (in a bad way) by whoever is hired to fill out the staff. I do think he needs one former/current head coach at the very least, maybe someone from a MN or WI successful D2/3 program.
Agree that it would be nice to have a Phil Martelli-type guy on the staff, but I don't know who that guy would be or if there is a local head coach who would be a good fit. From the names circulated for assistants, it seems like we may have the local guy spots covered, so I am less concerned that the "old sage" spot is filled by a local. Coach Mo is probably looking for a job, somebody like him would fit the bill as far as I am concerned.

I still like idea idea of adding Trent tucker as the director of player development or something like that.
Dave Thorson
Damian Johnson
Tim miles
Ed conroy...he’s done a heck of a job with Daniel and Robbins.
I concur. Tucker has openly campaigned for a role. Why not include Trent, perhaps in a similar way that Indiana added Thad Matta?

I concur. Tucker has openly campaigned for a role. Why not include Trent, perhaps in a similar way that Indiana added Thad Matta?
Because a no experience head coach hiring a no experience assistant coach really looks bad. I like Trent. He has been a loyal Gopher since he arrived here as an outsider. Doesn’t mean he can coach guys he is almost two generations removed from and has never coached before.

3-4 assistants all leaving final 4 teams to come here? Interesting.
Or they want to announce assistants at the same time?

Did some research they announced two at the same time for Pitino and one separately which was Ben Johnson.

Because a no experience head coach hiring a no experience assistant coach really looks bad. I like Trent. He has been a loyal Gopher since he arrived here as an outsider. Doesn’t mean he can coach guys he is almost two generations removed from and has never coached before.
Ahh, Freudian slip.

Diversity NEEDS to happen. You can’t keep sayings that their is a more qualified white coach available. The only way we will get more black coaches in the college game is to offer them advancement to learn the profession. That is what I like about BJ that he has put in his time as an assistant and deserves the chance. Look at the character of the coach. I also have always liked Damian As a person. I would like to see an experienced head assistant and 80% diversity in his assistants.

But what do I know? Just a farm boy from South Dakota.

Diversity NEEDS to happen. You can’t keep sayings that their is a more qualified white coach available. The only way we will get more black coaches in the college game is to offer them advancement to learn the profession. That is what I like about BJ that he has put in his time as an assistant and deserves the chance. Look at the character of the coach. I also have always liked Damian As a person. I would like to see an experienced head assistant and 80% diversity in his assistants.

But what do I know? Just a farm boy from South Dakota.
If you knew him you’d know that his being a head coach was inevitable.

There’s a reason all the locally connected Basketball minds are excited.

If you knew him you’d know that his being a head coach was inevitable.

There’s a reason all the locally connected Basketball minds are excited.
Who are these basketball minds? Are there names to go along with them. Not trying to be obnoxious but this is something we have been reading but I’m not hearing from the horse’s mouth. All the rah rah has come from media types and some former players,

Thank you.

The mob mentality has asst’s being Thorson, Nuness, Damien, Conroy, etc. Consensus was HC would come from group of Muss, Smith, Medved, etc.

Then boom.........BJ shows up!

Any solid info out there other than Nuness interview and past relationship ties?

Hardy has been an assistant for many years. At NW, Georgetown, and Georgia Tech.

Would think he wants to stay in the head coaching game, now that he's in?

lol yeah....and here i thought there was some real news happening!

haha I'd take anything at this point, I was just starting to look into his history a bit. He may have been in consideration and that scoops page just ran with it who knows. Doogie quote tweeting a page with 1300 followers is funny though.

The mob mentality has asst’s being Thorson, Nuness, Damien, Conroy, etc. Consensus was HC would come from group of Muss, Smith, Medved, etc.

Then boom.........BJ shows up!

Any solid info out there other than Nuness interview and past relationship ties?
Damian Johnson isnt an option. I haven’t heard him even mention he is interested in college

Top Bottom