Assistant Coaches

What does BJ consider blue bloods ? Even if they were the traditional powers they were likely grad assistants, video coordinators etc.. They were not the top assistants from the top programs. There are a couple thousand assistants and it is likely 200 made contact.

Have no clue. Though I'd imagine if he's telling the public during his pressers "blue bloods" he would assume we're not talking about northwestern or st. thomas.

It doesn't matter now though. His staff is set, lets see what happens.

Its football time babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Probably not the top assistants unless they were wrangling for a bump in pay, were about to get fired (or their head coach was and they weren't in line for a promotion), or had connections to Ben or MN previously. Assistants don't leave without a reason. My main point is that it's not up to us fans to tell Ben who to hire. He is the one that will be working with them 24/7.
The top assistants at the elite programs would not leave to be a assistant and are paid far more than we would pay. Ben got his main guy.

Probably not the top assistants unless they were wrangling for a bump in pay, were about to get fired (or their head coach was and they weren't in line for a promotion), or had connections to Ben or MN previously. Assistants don't leave without a reason. My main point is that it's not up to us fans to tell Ben who to hire. He is the one that will be working with them 24/7.

That's part of the growing pains we will all go thru with him as a rookie head coach. If you're not going to be bringing assistants from "schools that would surprise us/blue bloods" then just dont say that.

He has a lot to learn and he will from a PR perspective. It will take time.

That's part of the growing pains we will all go thru with him as a rookie head coach. If you're not going to be bringing assistants from "schools that would surprise us/blue bloods" then just dont say that.

He has a lot to learn and he will from a PR perspective. It will take time.
He didn't lie. Did you really expect him to poach someone from a blue bloods unless they were one of the non-assistant positions? You can't possibly have understood him to mean that he would hire his assistants solely from blue bloods. You, of all people, who feel that he was a horrible hire and will not succeed? How could he possibly do anything like that... as an assistant from 'mediocre programs?'

here's a crazy idea - how about we judge the hire based on..........results.

The Gophers have not played a game yet under the new staff. The roster for next year isn't even set.

And yet some people seem to be predicting (or hoping) that the season will be a disaster, because apparently that would justify their belief that Johnson was a bad hire.

Look - if midway through the season, the team stinks, I will say they stink. I'm just not going to say they stink until I actually get to see them play.

The Gophers have not played a game yet under the new staff. The roster for next year isn't even set.

And yet some people seem to be predicting (or hoping) that the season will be a disaster, because apparently that would justify their belief that Johnson was a bad hire.

Look - if midway through the season, the team stinks, I will say they stink. I'm just not going to say they stink until I actually get to see them play.
And there would be some that would extend your logic to say you hadn’t waited long enough to say they stink when you do. I can find the absurdity in all of the Ben-bashing, but it’s just as absurd to claim people aren’t real fans or only want the team to fail because they didn’t approve of the coach. It’s a message board for fans to share their opinions. Some you will agree with and some you won’t. We all want the team to succeed. That doesn’t mean you can’t be worried about our AD rolling the dice on an inexperienced hire when we just went through years of unrealized hope with another inexperienced coach. I want Ben to succeed. It’s possible. I just think the odds are against him.

And there would be some that would extend your logic to say you hadn’t waited long enough to say they stink when you do. I can find the absurdity in all of the Ben-bashing, but it’s just as absurd to claim people aren’t real fans or only want the team to fail because they didn’t approve of the coach. It’s a message board for fans to share their opinions. Some you will agree with and some you won’t. We all want the team to succeed. That doesn’t mean you can’t be worried about our AD rolling the dice on an inexperienced hire when we just went through years of unrealized hope with another inexperienced coach. I want Ben to succeed. It’s possible. I just think the odds are against him.
The downside to message boards or forums like this is that most of the people are on roughly the same page and then it is the super vocal minority voices on the fringes that get all the attention and tend to dominate the conversations.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of people on this board have some doubts/concerns about the hire but are also willing to let things play out to see what happens before making any declarations one way or another about the hire.

It just gets tough sometimes to ignore the small handful of fortune tellers who already know how this is going to turn out and have decided that Ben is going to fail.

Different situations, but when Fleck was hired there was a VERY vocal group that hated everything about him and bristled at every single word out of his mouth. There are still some of those people around but there are only a few of them left at this point.

I'm curious. You always hear coaches mention "i want guys that want to be here"

How many programs get guys that don't want to be there? maybe Juco i suppose, dunno.
Guys that this is their best offer, the best connect with the coaches and their vision. Many kids like the offer but keep a eye on the prettier girl. Ben wants the guys that think this is the best place for them.

Guys that this is their best offer, the best connect with the coaches and their vision. Many kids like the offer but keep a eye on the prettier girl. Ben wants the guys that think this is the best place for them.
Fans get all upset when a local kid leaves but this idea applies to that scenario as well. Coaches are not going to go hard after a kid in recruiting if it is clear they just don't want to be there.

The other thing that happens is that a player might change their mind about a place once they get there. Coaches can't stand having players on the roster that are just going through the motions and are not bought in to the program. Happens all the time.

There is a lot of racism here over the hiring of a Black coach. We heard all those rumblings before the hire. Just a part of life we have to endure.

There is a lot of racism here over the hiring of a Black coach. We heard all those rumblings before the hire. Just a part of life we have to endure.
I don't think it is fair to chalk it up to racism over the hiring of a black coach. We have had black coaches with the basketball program in the past and they have been loved by fans. When Tubby Smith was hired you would have been hard pressed to find many people that didn't love the hire.

Where the race issue comes into play here is that some are making the assumption that the U was forced to hire a black coach and they hired someone with no head coaching experience as opposed to going with some other candidates with ties to the U but the "wrong" skin color.

As opposed to giving Johnson the chance to show he deserved the job they have decided he is going to fail because they don't feel he was the right choice for the job. How much of that is due to skin color is tough to say without knowing the person as something other than a random name on a message board.

I don't think it is fair to chalk it up to racism over the hiring of a black coach. We have had black coaches with the basketball program in the past and they have been loved by fans. When Tubby Smith was hired you would have been hard pressed to find many people that didn't love the hire.

Where the race issue comes into play here is that some are making the assumption that the U was forced to hire a black coach and they hired someone with no head coaching experience as opposed to going with some other candidates with ties to the U but the "wrong" skin color.

As opposed to giving Johnson the chance to show he deserved the job they have decided he is going to fail because they don't feel he was the right choice for the job. How much of that is due to skin color
is tough to say without knowing the person as something other than a random name on a message board.

That's it, there are ppl that feel it was forced upon the U to hire a coach of color, it was a predominate story in the media that even Kevin Warren had discussion with Coyle about the lack of diversity in the HC positions compared to other B1G universities.

This is where someone like Gates would have been an ideal choice, but fans were not prepared for a Pitino experience like hire (with technically less experience) to come in.

He was called the darkhorse candidate for a reason, because nobody expected him to land the job.

But this has already been discussed at length.

As opposed to giving Johnson the chance to show he deserved the job they have decided he is going to fail because they don't feel he was the right choice for the job. How much of that is due to skin color is tough to say without knowing the person as something other than a random name on a message board.
I didn't think that Coyle and Gabel hired Ben Johnson specifically because of his skin color, but because of his ties to his alma mater, his prior recruiting, and his potential as a coach. They gambled on Lindsay Whalen, and they are gambling on BJ too.

I didn't think that Coyle and Gabel hired Ben Johnson specifically because of his skin color, but because of his ties to his alma mater, his prior recruiting, and his potential as a coach. They gambled on Lindsay Whalen, and they are gambling on BJ too.
We will never know why they hired him. But there is good reason for people to suspect that this was a politically correct hire because University communications and their actions are full on "woke" 100% of the time. One thing I know, is that they never did contact Musselman, who was interested in the position and would have been far more of a sure fire winner. I am not saying he was the right pick for the long term or not because he has been job hopping but the dude has what it takes and was not contacted. Maybe they knew the money would be too much- not sure there. Obviously they passed on Dutcher and others for reasons unknown as well. Coyle made the "leap of faith" on Ben and as I said above we will never know all of the reasons for sure. There can be no doubt that Gabel was heavily involved and Ben said so himself. Her communications to the alumni are loud and clear that this is a woke university.

That said, I for one, was past my disappointment by about day 3 and I am excited for Ben to do a great job here and I think he can do it. He seems like a fantastic person and I love the assistant coaches he is bringing in. This will take patience, perhaps a lot of it. I will always be a die hard Gopher basketball fan and am pinning my hopes on Johnson to deliver the winner we have no seen for so long.

Last edited:

We will never know why they hired him. But there is good reason for people to suspect that this was a politically correct hire because University communications and their actions are full on "woke" 100% of the time. One thing I know, is that they never did contact Musselman, who was interested in the position and would have been far more of a sure fire winner. I am not saying he was the right pick for the long term or not because he has been job hopping but the dude has what it takes and was not contacted. Maybe they knew the money would be too much- not sure there. Obviously they passed on Dutcher and others for reasons unknown as well. Coyle made the "leap of faith" on Ben and as I said above we will never know all of the reasons for sure. There can be now doubt that Gabel was heavily involved and Ben said so himself. Her communications to the alumni are loud and clear that this is a woke university.

That said, I for one, was past my disappointment by about day 3 and I am excited for Ben to do a great job here and I think he can do it. He seems like a fantastic person and I love the assistant coaches he is bringing in. This will take patience, perhaps a lot of it. I will always be a die hard Gopher basketball fan and am pinning my hopes on Johnson to deliver the winner we have no seen for so long.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump

Head coaching experience or pedigree has not worked out for the Gophers in the not too distant past. I agree the Musselman would have been a sexy hire that would endear fans, maybe more of the 2020 players, and recruits alike.

This hire can be a pleasant surprise. Expect it to be a three-year build up.

Top Bottom