Assistant Coaches

The Hopkins school district is massive. It covers far more than just the city of Hopkins (a relatively small city). It's a result of many mergers of smaller school districts.

I believe the Hopkins district covers more area of the city of Minnetonka than the Minnetonka district does.
It doesn't cover Lakeville and South or North MPLS

It doesn't cover Lakeville and South or North MPLS
Indeed, it does not. But open enrollment is the law in this state, and Hopkins SD did not need to directly offer those players to pay for their tuition to the high school.

Do I think it is similarly "unfair" that they won with all those players who did not grow up in the Hopkins district? I do

I'm intrigued who is assistants will be. I'm not sold on Thorson. Man can coach, but I know nothing about his recruiting.

Ideally you would have three assistants that can coach AND recruit. Hoping that's not too much to ask.

Talk to Dave for 5-10 minutes and you will never doubt his recruiting ability. Guy is super personable and a grinder even though he's older.

Can any of you more knowledgeable than me on these things fill me in on the process required to contact/offer coaches on other staffs? Does Coyle need to reach out to their AD for permission, or does Johnson talk directly to his head coaching counterpart? Or do they just go directly to the assistant or his agent to gauge interest and/or make an offer? I'm guessing that since they're under contract it's not the latter, but sometimes movement in college sports feels like the wild West.

Talk to Dave for 5-10 minutes and you will never doubt his recruiting ability. Guy is super personable and a grinder even though he's older.
I wonder if Battle's commitment is an indication that Thorson is coming over. I'd assume they have an established relationship already.

I wonder if Battle's commitment is an indication that Thorson is coming over. I'd assume they have an established relationship already.
Did Battle play for Thorson? He was at BSM to start his high school career

Have they announced any assistants yet?

Maybe he doesn't need any.

Would love to see an announcement sooner rather than later. Would think assistants are a place we would be competing with Indiana for even though we weren't for head coach. Could be completely wrong on that though. Naming ours first gives us a head start on the process though.

My reaction is to the people who are, for some reason, assuming that Johnson is all hat and no cattle when it comes to basketball coaching. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Agree with you there. I personally don’t think he is a good choice for college assistant at gophers due to lack of experience coaching college at any level.
But he is a pretty strong Xs and Os coach to my knowledge

Doogie responded on twitter saying we would hear something very soon.
He also said there is "resistance" to having both Thorson and Conroy on the staff since they're both old white men. Good lord we are making this harder than it needs to be if that's true.

Last edited:

He also said there is "resistance" to having both Thorson and Conroy on the staff since their both old white men. Good lord we are making this harder than it needs to be if that's true.
While agree with this post, all politics is local.

He also said there is "resistance" to having both Thorson and Conroy on the staff since they're both old white men. Good lord we are making this harder than it needs to be if that's true.
Didn’t see this. Interesting development. The irony of not letting Ben have his choice of staff is something special though...

This should put to bed any doubt as to the principle reason BJ was hired.

Must’ve been planning on Gates, and he backed out.

This should put to bed any doubt as to the principle reason BJ was hired.

Must’ve been planning on Gates, and he backed out.
Before we take this report as gospel, can we recognize:
* Doogie has flung a lot of feces against the wall over the years and most of it hasn’t stuck
* The same day we see a report that Conroy is the leading contender for Utah State which of course would be the major reason why he hasn’t been announced as being retained
* Doogie’s tossing out a nugget that can never be confirmed nor would anyone with a brain ever say any such thing on record. Who’s putting up the resistance? The question of assistant coaches wasn’t discussed with Coyle with Conroy and Thorson as part of the conversation? (Seems unlikely) My BS detector’s going off on this one.

Before we take this report as gospel, can we recognize:
* Doogie has flung a lot of feces against the wall over the years and most of it hasn’t stuck
* The same day we see a report that Conroy is the leading contender for Utah State which of course would be the major reason why he hasn’t been announced as being retained
* Doogie’s tossing out a nugget that can never be confirmed nor would anyone with a brain ever say any such thing on record. Who’s putting up the resistance? The question of assistant coaches wasn’t discussed with Coyle with Conroy and Thorson as part of the conversation? (Seems unlikely) My BS detector’s going off on this one.
I want you to be right. Sound reasoning. But, you know, this is the U. If Ben isn’t picking his own staff, this place is more dysfunctional than even I could imagine.

Top Bottom