Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

Outkick :ROFLMAO:

Colorado I could see, sure. I know much they've enjoyed their history with farm schools Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State, and aching to get those cherished rivalries back.

Aching to get their teeth kicked in on the hardwood by KU, with that historical "border battle" ( :sneaky: 8.5 hr drive between the schools each way, when the roads are in good condition) (oops, nevermind that KU and Mizzou were always the hated rivals of each other in the Big 8/12)

Arizona, nope. The two state schools won't split up and ASU has zero interest.

Last edited:

Heather Dinich:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...alks-expansion-source-says-commish-touts-plan

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark said Friday that the conference has "a plan" when it comes to expansion, and while league leaders are satisfied with their current membership, they continue to explore "all options and considerations at this point in time."

A source who participated in the meetings this week told ESPN there were no votes on membership, but there were discussions about scenarios.

Yormark, who addressed reporters via videoconference after the Big 12 spring meetings in West Virginia, was asked specifically about the possibility of Gonzaga or another school joining the conference as a basketball-only member.

"We do see the upside in basketball moving forward for all the right reasons," Yormark said without mentioning any specific schools. "We think it's undervalued and there's a chance for us to double down as the No. 1 basketball conference in America, but football is the driver and we all know that.

"As we think about the future and ways to create value," he added, "there is always that option to decouple basketball from football to see if there's further value we can create for the conference."

A source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" in the meetings, which were held at the posh Greenbrier resort, but the presidents and chancellors are in a holding pattern until the Pac-12 announces its television deal.

Last edited:

^ YEP

That's exactly what it sounds like just before a massive expansion of adding Arizona and Colorado for football. Imminent! Should! Soon! Sources say!

:sneaky:

If you clicked on it, you got suckered.

They've been very clear that they will get the TV deal done first, then look at expansion.

SDSU has exactly zero authority or power to dictate a single thing.

If they "miss" their "window" ... that's their problem. Boo hoo
Won't be their problem, it will be PAC problem. PAC needs them. You're looking at this from the wrong angle.

And Flugaur is reporting that CU has a board meeting scheduled for 6/6 to discuss a legal matter concerning athletics and a specific statute code is listed. Which is the same exact wording and code used when they moved from B12 to PAC.

PAC needs them.
:ROFLMAO:

CU has a board meeting scheduled for 6/6 to discuss a legal matter concerning athletics and a specific statute code is listed.
This is public knowledge that anyone can lookup.

That’s not a report. Random Twitter nobody with no sources doesn’t get credit.

Which is the same exact wording and code used when they moved from B12 to PAC.
Is that actually true?

I’d get reviewed the legality of it then, and it was good, why would hey need to re-review it?

If Colorado moves, I’ll take a small L. That’s fine.

I still get 95 out of 100 grade, if no one else moves.

:ROFLMAO:

This is public knowledge that anyone can lookup.

That’s not a report. Random Twitter nobody with no sources doesn’t get credit.

Is that actually true?

I’d get reviewed the legality of it then, and it was good, why would hey need to re-review it?
He had a copy of the Agenda from 2010 2 days before they announced their move and it matched the Agenda for tomorrow. Yes anyone can look it up. What's your point?

Outkick :ROFLMAO:

Colorado I could see, sure. I know much they've enjoyed their history with farm schools Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State, and aching to get those cherished rivalries back.

Aching to get their teeth kicked in on the hardwood by KU, with that historical "border battle" ( :sneaky: 8.5 hr drive between the schools each way, when the roads are in good condition) (oops, nevermind that KU and Mizzou were always the hated rivals of each other in the Big 8/12)

Arizona, nope. The two state schools won't split up and ASU has zero interest.

Specifically with Arizona, Texas and Texas A&M were tied together until the weren't when A&M bolted for the SEC. Now they are rejoined.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St were tied together until they weren't with Sooners going to the SEC.

I don't see why the same can't happen with the Arizonas (or Oregons or Washingtons etc).

FWIW - the most recent articles saying Colorado and Arizona will move to the Big-12 - IF the Pac-12 media deal isn't good enough - are apparently based on comments by a guy named Greg Swaim.

He runs an NCAA-certified recruiting service that, according to his website, has over 1,000 subscribers at all levels of college sports. he also runs something called Big Time Basketball camps and showcases.

take that for what you think it's worth. G_4L will say it's "clickbait." maybe it is. But this guy seems to be fairly well-tied in to the college recruiting scene, so I give him at least some credibility.

once again - everything hinges on the Pac-12 media deal. Kiavkoff can't stall this thing forever. at some point he has to put a deal on the table.

Specifically with Arizona, Texas and Texas A&M were tied together until the weren't when A&M bolted for the SEC. Now they are rejoined.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St were tied together until they weren't with Sooners going to the SEC.

I don't see why the same can't happen with the Arizonas (or Oregons or Washingtons etc).
And it still could mean the newly AAU minted ASU could then become a target for the B1G.

If, and it's a BIG if, this were to happen, I'd think this would add more fuel to the fire of ASU to the Big Ten.
Would not complain about having a weekend hockey series there every year in January or February.

More click bait (per the all-knowing g4l) some rinky-dink media source called AZcentral...
I can see where Yormark would smell blood(opportunity) in the water. He might be looking at a couple from PAC and a couple from ACC to become a nationwide conf and part of a "Power 3". That would make sure he has a chair still when the realignment music stops.

Yes anyone can look it up. What's your point?
Then it's not reporting.

Indeed, just some random loser on Twitter who literally makes up 1000 things per year with a 0.001% hit rate on average.

Has no connections, no sources. Makes s__t up

Moving from the (old) Big 12 up to the SEC is equivalent to moving from the PAC-12 sideways (if not slightly downward) to the (new) Big 12?

Come on, dude. You're way too smart for such a silly, invalid comparison.

And it still could mean the newly AAU minted ASU could then become a target for the B1G.
Big Ten looked at and discussed every single PAC school with the prospective TV partners, as a commonplace due diligence.

ASU wasn't good enough then. TV partners wouldn't pay for them.

But AAU suddenly changed everything? Come on.

That's just some good ol boy country club for big universities with medical research, plus a few others. It doesn't actually mean anything. The actual numbers are there for anyone to look up in the HERD data.

Conference realignment.

Where you can make crap up, hiding behind "sources say" and words like "could" and "should", 500 times in three months, be wrong every time ... and people will still flock to any new hearsay article.

Honestly, when it's like that ... if you're not putting those articles out, you're doing it wrong.

Moving from the (old) Big 12 up to the SEC is equivalent to moving from the PAC-12 sideways (if not slightly downward) to the (new) Big 12?

I appreciate the "smart" compliment. Thanks.

- For Arizona, if the new Big 12 is seen as substantially more stable, then it would be a step up in terms of visibility and financially. Without knowing how a the Pac 12 media deal shakes out, tough to determine.
- If Colorado bolts, then it makes it that much tougher for Arizona to stay as I think that would dramatically make the Big 12 more attractive.
- I brought up the SEC comparisons simply to illustrate that former intra-state institutions split when it was in their best interest (primarily financial) to do so.

For Arizona it would likely be more a case of self-preservation instead of self-improvement.

At this point, the Big 12 (even without UT and OU) is better than the PAC-12 (without USC and UCLA) simply for stability reasons.

The Big 12, which seemed at death's door, got new members and now has a better TV deal than the PAC (which has none as of this time) and the ACC (which is why FSU is so upset that UCF now gets more TV money).

They're all looking to self preservation at this point. Which is why they would consider leaving their current conferences. They all see it either blowing up at some point or falling too far behind in money. They don't want to wait until they are left with no where to go and bad choices. The Oregon States of the world have no choices but many others do.

I do know for a fact that Yormark (B12 Commish) said at their recent meeting that his goal for the conference is to have a presence in "all 4 time zones." He said that and it was reported.

He has also talked about the importance of basketball to the B12 and even raised the idea of "decoupling" football and basketball in future media deals.

which leads to this: talk/buzz/rumors that the B12 would like to have Gonzaga and UConn as members.

look - maybe it's all talk and nothing happens. but a whole lot of people seem to think that something is going to happen.

Sounds like CU might have an announcement on Thursday. It follows the pattern perfectly from 2010. And the BOR have now scheduled a 30min public Q&A for Friday morning. Again, following the pattern of 2010.

And an Arizona reporter says they just don't want to be the first one, waiting on CU.

- For Arizona, if the new Big 12 is seen as substantially more stable, then it would be a step up in terms of visibility and financially. Without knowing how a the Pac 12 media deal shakes out, tough to determine.
Not really. AZ (and ASU) have been playing Washingtons, Oregons, and Californias since 1978. (Colo and Utah since 2011)

Playing .... West Virginia, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Houston, and BYU gives them more visibility and a "step up" financially?

You don't really believe this.

At worst, it's a small decline in money. Not at all game changing money. To play far lesser institutions.

- If Colorado bolts, then it makes it that much tougher for Arizona to stay as I think that would dramatically make the Big 12 more attractive.
No more than BYU. They have zero history with Colorado other than since 2011.

Why is Colorado some big fancy program that's going to be this huge draw for Arizona?? They're really not. Not any more than Kansas State. Arizona's rivalries and teams that fans know are all in the PAC.

- I brought up the SEC comparisons simply to illustrate that former intra-state institutions split when it was in their best interest (primarily financial) to do so.
Moving to the SEC is like moving to the Big Ten.

In that case, you'd win hands down. If ASU had an invite to the Big Ten and UA did not, then that's an easy choice to split and I'd support it.

Moving to the Big 12 is at best a lateral move. You're gonna break the schools and rivalry up for that? Just absurd and silly

For Arizona it would likely be more a case of self-preservation instead of self-improvement.
Not in the slightest.

Last edited:

At this point, the Big 12 (even without UT and OU) is better than the PAC-12 (without USC and UCLA) simply for stability reasons.
This is made up

The Big 12, which seemed at death's door, got new members and now has a better TV deal than the PAC
Good lord, how are you really going to be so dishonest? We don't know what the PAC TV deal is yet.

Top Bottom