Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

This is made up

Good lord, how are you really going to be so dishonest? We don't know what the PAC TV deal is yet.
They have no deal, and I suspect that CU and Arizona have a pretty good idea of what is on the table (certainly more than any of us) and if it's that bad, they're going to be proactive.

Remember that the Big 12 deal is the third best in the country after the B1G and the SEC. I can't imagine a Pac-12 deal w/o the two LA schools and a bunch of Pacific time zone games is going to be any better.

BYU is a national brand. Cincinnati was in the CFP two seasons ago, and UCF (not South Florida as you incorrectly stated), is a huge university in a huge market, and could arguably pass FSU and Miami to become the second most prominent program in the state after the Gators, particularly with the ACC TV deal being so bad now.

They have no deal, and I suspect that CU and Arizona have a pretty good idea of what is on the table (certainly more than any of us) and if it's that bad, they're going to be proactive.
This is made up.

BYU is a national brand. Cincinnati was in the CFP two seasons ago, and UCF (not South Florida as you incorrectly stated), is a huge university in a huge market
They weren't added to P5 confs for decades, because ...

, and could arguably pass FSU and Miami to become the second most prominent program in the state after the Gators
Hahahahahaha

UCF = St Cloud State. It's just a much larger state with much larger population. No different otherwise

The vote the BOR took on Tuesday to address:

- (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - athletics matter at CU Boulder

and this special board meeting for Friday

Could easily be about signing a GoR for the new PAC TV deal.

Or maybe, like the last several times this has come up in the previous months .... nothing substantial will actually happen.

It's just incredible to me that all of you really smart guys (being serious, not sarcastic) actually think a school is going to leave the PAC before the TV deal is actually announced?

That's ... not how this works. Unless the TV deal is going to be announced today or tomorrow.

Not really. AZ (and ASU) have been playing Washingtons, Oregons, and Californias since 1978. (Colo and Utah since 2011)

Playing .... West Virginia, Cincinnati, Central Florida, Houston, and BYU gives them more visibility and a "step up" financially?

You don't really believe this.

At worst, it's a small decline in money. Not at all game changing money. To play far lesser institutions.

No more than BYU. They have zero history with Colorado other than since 2011.

Why is Colorado some big fancy program that's going to be this huge draw for Arizona?? They're really not. Not any more than Kansas State. Arizona's rivalries and teams that fans know are all in the PAC.

Moving to the SEC is like moving to the Big Ten.

In that case, you'd win hands down. If ASU had an invite to the Big Ten and UA did not, then that's an easy choice to split and I'd support it.

Moving to the Big 12 is at best a lateral move. You're gonna break the schools and rivalry up for that? Just absurd and silly

Not in the slightest.
I disagree.

The vote the BOR took on Tuesday to address:

- (a)(II), Legal advice on a specific matter - athletics matter at CU Boulder

and this special board meeting for Friday

Could easily be about signing a GoR for the new PAC TV deal.

Or maybe, like the last several times this has come up in the previous months .... nothing substantial will actually happen.

It's just incredible to me that all of you really smart guys (being serious, not sarcastic) actually think a school is going to leave the PAC before the TV deal is actually announced?

That's ... not how this works. Unless the TV deal is going to be announced today or tomorrow.
Well I did say something could be announced tomorrow. Didn't say what.

So they are going to announce the signing of the GoR for a new PAC deal. And nothing has come out of Kliavkov yet? LOL And they're way past the date you said it would be announced by.

You're setting yourself up for the big L with your comments.

Well I did say something could be announced tomorrow.
Based on what?

They’re going to make the announcement before the board meeting. That’s special

So they are going to announce the signing of the GoR for a new PAC deal.
What announcement?? Where is there any notice of an announcement?

And nothing has come out of Kliavkov yet?
All in due time.

They weren't added to P5 confs for decades, because ...

Based on this, nothing should ever change at any time with college football. There should be no conference changes, we should go back to the days of the Big 8, Penn State as an Independent, maybe Yale and Fordham battling it out with leather helmets for the UPI-recognized national title?

Also, the P5/G5 thing didn't exist until a few years ago. The Big East was considered a major football conference, but it's successor the AAC is not. BYU, when they won the WAC, the Holiday Bowl and the National Championship back in the 80's, would have been considered a major program (and still should be).

UCF = St Cloud State. It's just a much larger state with much larger population. No different otherwise

This is delusional, even for you.

UCF is the second largest single campus in the US by enrollment with ~68,000. Only Texas A&M is larger. This means actual students taking classes on campus - not remote online diploma mills like Liberty U. (UCF's online-only enrollment is only 6600). They're a Space-Grant college that is heavily involved with NASA, and has a newly established medical school. I'm sorry that in your mind a school that hasn't been around since the 1800's can't be a major athletic and academic power, but UCF is very much on that road.

St. Cloud State is a shrinking college in a city fewer young people want to go to school in, due to its reputation for redneck racist trash. Once the flagship of the MnSCU system, it's fallen far behind MSU-Mankato, which has evolved into a large regional university and continues to grow.

There's really no similarity, other than both are in the center of their respective states.

What? Good lord just making crap up as you see fit.

A board meeting is a public Q&A. Good grief
No, board meeting minutes are released at a later date to the public and only through a FOIA. Not all board meetings are public at the time. And a 30min mtg for the public? It's only to answer questions from what was announced probably the day before. Why is this stuff not clear to you? Good grief.

in today's Episode of "As the Pac-12 Turns" -

a radio host from Oregon named John Canzano is reporting that the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools have a verbal agreement on a new Grant of Rights, or at least an agreement on what will be in the Grant of Rights. (teams that advance to the CFP get a bigger piece of the pie)

Asked about the report, the President of the U of Arizona said in an interview that he didn't know anything about it.

other media sources including Sports Illustrated are saying that this verbal agreement has been in place for some time, but it will not be signed until there is a media deal in place that the schools have agreed to.

oh, and for what it's worth - another media outlet is claiming that the most recent proposal for a Pac-12 Media deal is for $19-million a year per school.

this may all be crazy - but it's still more fun than watching the Twins..........

a radio host from Oregon named John Canzano is reporting that the 10 remaining Pac-12 schools have a verbal agreement on a new Grant of Rights, or at least an agreement on what will be in the Grant of Rights. (teams that advance to the CFP get a bigger piece of the pie)

Asked about the report, the President of the U of Arizona said in an interview that he didn't know anything about it.

other media sources including Sports Illustrated are saying that this verbal agreement has been in place for some time, but it will not be signed until there is a media deal in place that the schools have agreed to.

oh, and for what it's worth - another media outlet is claiming that the most recent proposal for a Pac-12 Media deal is for $19-million a year per school.

this may all be crazy - but it's still more fun than watching the Twins..........
The new Big 12 contract is going to pay out somewhere around $31 million a year per school.
19 is chump change in comparison.

Jesus Christ. I have Gophers4life on ignore. This thread is exactly why. All it is is people responding to his repeated and neverending comments (which I can’t see, but are universally panned as always).

How do you people still engage with this guy?

You're extensive expertise in negotiating collegiate athletics broadcast packages notwithstanding: Let's suppose that CU (and AU) are privy to languishing broadcast negotiation (they are) and also suppose that they do not like the tragectory of said negotiations (they may not). Let's further suppose that they want the best outcome for their institution ($). Finally, let's suppose that they are generally risk averse institutions (they are).

In this particular scenario, the most risk averse course of action might be to bolt for the Big 12 and the promise of $31,000,000. At this point in time, neither the broadcast partners or conference institutions are dithering over a couple million bucks.

But if we're taking CW network and Apple TV exclusive games and $19,000,000, CU (and AU) might believe that the bridge can't be gapped; that $31,000,000 is an acceptable number. There is a risk that the PAC deal is close to, equal to or greater than the Big 12 deal. But if it doesn't even come close, the risk is that Big 12 says, yes, we'll take you but at a reduced share. Maybe the less than demur Big 12 has already whispered such a suggestion to CU (and AU).

The normally risk averse might be gambling (although there really seems be calculated risk) here. Take the safety of the Big 12.

Long time listener first time caller...Actually go way back to Jason Groth days, with various user names as platforms changed, and lost swede to a forgotten password and changed work email. Intros aside...

Purely reckless speculation here: The four corner schools were often mentioned as big 12 candidates but now that seems to have cooled to CU and AU. AU makes some sense with Big 12 hoops focus but I wonder if something else is at play, keeping the AAU announcement in mind.

I doubt Big 12 has cooled on Utah and ASU. Is it possible the Big 10 has sidled in? The PHX DMA is larger than Seattle. SLC is smaller than Portland but is one of the fastest growing metros in the country. If UW and UO, why not ASU and UU? Why not all 4 and now we have a west coast pod? It wouldn't make sense to leave the Bay area market out but Cal is a dumpster fire for athletics and perhaps Stanford isn't interested.

I'll hang up and listen.

That last part has been true for most of my life which is now 55 years.

Jesus Christ. I have Gophers4life on ignore. This thread is exactly why. All it is is people responding to his repeated and neverending comments (which I can’t see, but are universally panned as always).

How do you people still engage with this guy?
Debating with people like him is one of the joys of my life. Never understood why I didn't go down the law path. Not surprised then that my daughter is planning to be a lawyer.

You're extensive expertise in negotiating collegiate athletics broadcast packages notwithstanding: Let's suppose that CU (and AU) are privy to languishing broadcast negotiation (they are) and also suppose that they do not like the tragectory of said negotiations (they may not). Let's further suppose that they want the best outcome for their institution ($). Finally, let's suppose that they are generally risk averse institutions (they are).

In this particular scenario, the most risk averse course of action might be to bolt for the Big 12 and the promise of $31,000,000. At this point in time, neither the broadcast partners or conference institutions are dithering over a couple million bucks.

But if we're taking CW network and Apple TV exclusive games and $19,000,000, CU (and AU) might believe that the bridge can't be gapped; that $31,000,000 is an acceptable number. There is a risk that the PAC deal is close to, equal to or greater than the Big 12 deal. But if it doesn't even come close, the risk is that Big 12 says, yes, we'll take you but at a reduced share. Maybe the less than demur Big 12 has already whispered such a suggestion to CU (and AU).

The normally risk averse might be gambling (although there really seems be calculated risk) here. Take the safety of the Big 12.
Especially since everyone knows that Oregon and Wash are just waiting to leave. Ultimately the PAC is sinking no matter what.

Based on this, nothing should ever change at any time with college football. There should be no conference changes, we should go back to the days of the Big 8, Penn State as an Independent, maybe Yale and Fordham battling it out with leather helmets for the UPI-recognized national title?
Huh? You're going off the deep end simply because I -- correctly -- noted that the P5 have never considered Central Florida worth of an invite until just very recently out of desperation. Even with their fake "national title". That was funny

Also, the P5/G5 thing didn't exist until a few years ago. The Big East was considered a major football conference, but it's successor the AAC is not. BYU, when they won the WAC, the Holiday Bowl and the National Championship back in the 80's, would have been considered a major program (and still should be).
The 80's may as well be the 40's, now.

Agree that BYU was somewhat of a quasi-major program. They were happy to be in the Mountain West with their longtime blood fued rivals Utah and Wyoming, back in the day. But once Utah left, they could not allow the perception of inferiority.

UCF is the second largest single campus in the US by enrollment with ~68,000. Only Texas A&M is larger.
Literally meaningless. This isn't classes of high school.

At one time, SC had like 17k students? (They're really fallen off, sad to see.) Does that make them automatically higher than NDSU, UND, SDSU, etc? No.

This means actual students taking classes on campus - not remote online diploma mills like Liberty U.
Just an in person diploma mill! Any Florida resident with a pulse gets in.

They're a Space-Grant college that is heavily involved with NASA
Makes sense with Cape Canaveral right there. That's good for them, but they're no Embry-Riddle and never will be.

and has a newly established medical school.
Well that's silly. U of Florida is the medical school, and South Florida has one too I believe. This is just politics.

I'm sorry that in your mind a school that hasn't been around since the 1800's can't be a major athletic and academic power, but UCF is very much on that road.
Zero chance UCF is going to be an "academic power". That is funny.

St. Cloud State is a shrinking college in a city fewer young people want to go to school in, due to its reputation for redneck racist trash.
Keep the political crap out of here.

Once the flagship of the MnSCU system, it's fallen far behind MSU-Mankato, which has evolved into a large regional university and continues to grow.
I only ever knew of Mankato State as a STD infested party school that anyone could get into.

If the tables have turned, well good for them in working to do better.

And a 30min mtg for the public?
What on Earth are you blathering about?? Why are you refusing to provide a single source about any supposed "public" meeting or announcement?

You said today. Obviously were wrong, since the board meeting itself isn't until tomorrow. You can take that L.

It's only to answer questions from what was announced probably the day before.
What announcement??

Still can't answer

How about that!

An actual source of information who actually has the ability to call people in PAC athletic departments and talk to them.

another media outlet
Why not name them? "Media" "outlet" :sneaky:

I guess Gopherhole is a media outlet too!

But if we're taking CW network and Apple TV exclusive games and $19,000,000, CU (and AU) might believe that the bridge can't be gapped; that $31,000,000 is an acceptable number.
Look, I've been saying for several posts that Colorado is a different animal. They've played the core schools in the Big 12 for decades. If they want back into the plains and 2nd tier Texas recruiting, playing Plains Ag schools and G5 up-jumpers, that's just fine. (They're not a basketball school and so they're going to get their teeth kicked in on the hardwood, what's new?)

But Arizona and/or ASU have played PAC schools since the late 70's.

They're going to throw that in the trash and go play Central Florida, Houston, and Cincinnati, for an extra $12M a year? Out of nine-figure athletic dept budgets?

You don't think that's a little bit silly?

the risk is that Big 12 says, yes, we'll take you but at a reduced share.
What??

Literally have never seen any such "risk" mentioned anywhere. No chance

Top Bottom