Are We Headed Towards 4 Conferences?

If UW and UO, why not ASU and UU? Why not all 4 and now we have a west coast pod?
Because they would've been added at the same time as USC and UCLA, if they were worth it to NBC, CBS, and FOX.

They weren't

But Arizona and/or ASU have played PAC schools since the late 70's.

They're going to throw that in the trash and go play Central Florida, Houston, and Cincinnati, for an extra $12M a year? Out of nine-figure athletic dept budgets?

You don't think that's a little bit silly?
But 2 of the other 8 schools USC/UCLA when the Arizonas joined are already gone. Oregon and Washington want to be gone, presumably. If Colorado packs up, what's left?

That's why it does not seem so silly. Just my high level opinion.

But 2 of the other 8 schools USC/UCLA when the Arizonas joined are already gone.
Agreed, a blow to all of the 10 who have been together since 1978.

Oregon and Washington want to be gone, presumably.
So??? They have nowhere reasonable to go.

I'm sure a lot of guys want to be married to a super model.

If Colorado packs up, what's left?
Not at all a concern. Only been there since 2011.

Will still have: Wash, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Stan, Cal, ASU, Arizona, Utah.

I'd add: San Diego St, Colorado St, and offer Hawaii (football only)/Gonzaga (non-football).

Also, for the record:

I like it when little children not only put people on ignore, but have to boast loudly about that they've done it and beg other people to join them!

You see, as an adult myself, I don't have to put anyone on ignore. I can just choose to read or not read any post I want. (I generally read them all, because I like to see all the viewpoints, then decide for myself which I like.)

That's what an adult does.

But that's fine when a little child has a temper-tantrum. Makes it easier for me to not have to ever reply to that person going forward. :cool:

What on Earth are you blathering about?? Why are you refusing to provide a single source about any supposed "public" meeting or announcement?

You said today. Obviously were wrong, since the board meeting itself isn't until tomorrow. You can take that L.

What announcement??

Still can't answer
I said announcement today. I said 30min mtg friday. go back and read.

I'd add: San Diego St, Colorado St, and offer Hawaii (football only)/Gonzaga (non-football).
My only point was it's not "silly" to for Arizona to consider bolting or actually move.

Adding San Diego St would at least maintain a SoCal presence, but it's still a huge downgrade. Adding those schools the Pac 12 would be only a slightly better version of the Mountain West, meaning no great shakes in terms of monetary value.

For the record, in this moment in time I think Arizona will stay if I had to make a call, but my confidence level is rather low to medium at best. Not much better than 50/50.

So, the Colorado Board of Regents public meeting that was scheduled for Friday is now officially listed as canceled. No agenda was ever posted.

And I am shocked that G_4L liked the item from a radio talk-show host and podcaster that just happened to put out a pro-Pac-12 message.

Warning to G_4L - do not listen to Wednesday's edition of "The Monty Show." They spent the first hour of the show ripping Canzano. FWIW, they claim to have spoken to "multiple Pac-12 sources" who said there is no agreement on a Grant of Rights.

and just to clarify - I saw the $19-million estimate for the Pac-12 media deal in a tweet. and now I can't find that tweet and I don't remember who posted it, but it was from a media account - a writer or broadcaster.

woody-toystory.gif

HA...HA...HA...BAHAHA...BA...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA (LARGE INHALE) AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

But Arizona and/or ASU have played PAC schools since the late 70's.

They're going to throw that in the trash and go play Central Florida, Houston, and Cincinnati, for an extra $12M a year? Out of nine-figure athletic dept budgets?

You don't think that's a little bit silly?
Silly? Not in the slightest. Over five years, that's $60 million. There's no conference loyalty whatsoever at this point, other than the schools already in the B1G and the SEC.

You yourself said in replying to my post that the 80's might as well be the 40's at this point. Then why should it matter to the AZ schools that they've played in the Pac since the 1970's? If they can make more money playing USF, UH and Cinci, then they're likely going to do it. Tradition matters little these days - it's an arms race for TV money.

You criticize Houston, UCF and Cinci for being added to a P5 conference, but then you want to add SDSU, CSU and Hawaii (who don't even have a permanent stadium right now?) With the possible exception of SDSU, those are much worse programs.

I said announcement today.
How did the announcement go????

Seems like it should have been a big deal, but didn't see anything about one being made??

It can't be that you just made it up the whole time, since you refused to back it up with even a Tweet from some loser like MHver?

I said 30min mtg friday.
Really?

You're not talking about the board meeting that was cancelled, are you?

https://regents.cu.edu/events
https://regents.cu.edu/events/2023/06/09/canceled-special-board-meeting

Also, for the record:

I like it when little children not only put people on ignore, but have to boast loudly about that they've done it and beg other people to join them!

You see, as an adult myself, I don't have to put anyone on ignore. I can just choose to read or not read any post I want. (I generally read them all, because I like to see all the viewpoints, then decide for myself which I like.)

That's what an adult does.

But that's fine when a little child has a temper-tantrum. Makes it easier for me to not have to ever reply to that person going forward. :cool:
Person who posts 12 posts in a row calls out posters for having a tantrum...seriously this has to be a bit. Very few people lack self-awareness on this level.

Because they would've been added at the same time as USC and UCLA, if they were worth it to NBC, CBS, and FOX.

They weren't

You keep saying this over and over again, but it’s simply not true. WA and OR were totally surprised when the announcement was made that UCLA and USC were moving to the B1G. The CA Regents and CAL were also completely unaware. Any true vetting would include conversations with the schools being considered, but since those schools were surprised, indicates those conversations never took place.

The truth is the B1G is very deliberate in any move they make. It was reported that they absolutely did not want to be seen as breaking up the PAC, so they limited their consideration to just UCLA and USC.

Person who posts 12 posts in a row calls out posters for having a tantrum...seriously this has to be a bit. Very few people lack self-awareness on this level.
Unfortunately it is not a bit. MPLSGopher (AKA g4l) got banned for the same stuff.

I know, I remember. It is just funny to point out how he is a living projection ;)

Yeah, try to look at it as amusing until the ban happens.
Be seems to be headed soon for a ban and then a switch back to MPLS gopher.

How did the announcement go????

Seems like it should have been a big deal, but didn't see anything about one being made??

It can't be that you just made it up the whole time, since you refused to back it up with even a Tweet from some loser like MHver?

Really?

You're not talking about the board meeting that was cancelled, are you?

https://regents.cu.edu/events
https://regents.cu.edu/events/2023/06/09/canceled-special-board-meeting
So you already answered your first question with your last sentence. I don't make stuff up, can you say the same? And making personal attacks like that is very childish(I believe that's the term you used). So you are making me consider putting you on ignore.

He's like our own version of lakesbison (who also showed up here for a short time and was banned.) Lakes is infamous around college football boards.

a little off-topic, but apparently there was a meeting of the Washington State Board of Regents and from what I'm seeing online, it was a doozy. the meeting was held to address a deficit in the athletic department. the deficit for the last fiscal year totaled $11.5-million. concerns expressed by faculty and student representatives. in the end, the WSU Board agreed to approve a revised budget that included some fund transfers to cover the deficit, and approved a proposed 2024 athletics budget.

During the meeting, WSU President Schultz uttered this gem:

"We can't build a budget over numbers that have no basis in reality, and that's what got us here."

The board also granted Schultz authority to approve a future media rights deal without the need for a regents' meeting.

AND - FWIW - Schultz said the expectation is to have a new Pac-12 media deal by the end of the month.

(but no hints on what the $$$ of that deal might come to....)

So you already answered your first question with your last sentence.
You said there was going to be an announcement on Thursday and that the board meeting on Friday was really just to discuss the announcement and it’s ramifications as a way to provide a quasi “Q&A” to the public.

You refused four or five times to provide even a single Tweet from anyone backing up the supposed announcement.

There never was any Thursday announcement.

Whether you made it up whole cloth or were passing on some hearsay tidbit from some Twitter loser you follow or message board post … it doesn’t really matter. It wasn’t honest.

My only point was it's not "silly" to for Arizona to consider bolting or actually move.
If it’s for the Big Ten, sure. For the Big 12 with Colorado as their only link to those schools? For a couple pennies more? Very much silly, in my book.

Adding San Diego St would at least maintain a SoCal presence, but it's still a huge downgrade. Adding those schools the Pac 12 would be only a slightly better version of the Mountain West, meaning no great shakes in terms of monetary value.
Huh?? Wash, WSU, Oregon, OSU, Stanford, Cal, ASU have never been in the Mountain West.

For the record, in this moment in time I think Arizona will stay if I had to make a call, but my confidence level is rather low to medium at best. Not much better than 50/50.
OK.

Thing is, when they don’t move and when the 10 stay in the PAC at $30-35M per year per school, you can still sit there and “claim” you had a doubt or it looked sketchy.

It never was. It was all a fugazi.

Over five years, that's $60 million.
Whoa!!! Why not go 50 years??? $600M !!!!

Of course, that’s at the bunk, made up $19M number.

There's no conference loyalty whatsoever at this point, other than the schools already in the B1G and the SEC.
Agree if it’s a move up. A sideways move I don’t buy as easily.

You yourself said in replying to my post that the 80's might as well be the 40's at this point. Then why should it matter to the AZ schools that they've played in the Pac since the 1970's?
For a sideways move. Multiple PAC presidents have said or implied this very thing. Not worth moving just for a lateral change.

If they can make more money playing USF, UH and Cinci, then they're likely going to do it. Tradition matters little these days - it's an arms race for TV money.
I guess we’ll see!

You criticize Houston, UCF and Cinci for being added to a P5 conference, but then you want to add SDSU, CSU and Hawaii (who don't even have a permanent stadium right now?) With the possible exception of SDSU, those are much worse programs.
I wasn’t the one implying that Big 12 with a bunch of American Conf up-jumpers is so obviously superior. It’s not. I’m not saying PAC is superior. I’m saying they’re on equal footing and deserve and will get roughly equivalent money.

SDSU, CSU, and Hawaii when it’s finished will all have nicer stadiums than Houston, UCF, and Cinci. UCF’s in particular is pathetic. Built it for I think $50M total?? It’s a giant high school bleacher. That’s not P5. CSU’s is based on TCF, slightly smaller version. Very nice

Whoa!!! Why not go 50 years??? $600M !!!!

Of course, that’s at the bunk, made up $19M number.

Agree if it’s a move up. A sideways move I don’t buy as easily.

For a sideways move. Multiple PAC presidents have said or implied this very thing. Not worth moving just for a lateral change.

I guess we’ll see!
Correct. We know what the Big 12 numbers are. We don't know what the Pac numbers are.

You keep saying this over and over again, but it’s simply not true. WA and OR were totally surprised when the announcement was made that UCLA and USC were moving to the B1G. The CA Regents and CAL were also completely unaware. Any true vetting would include conversations with the schools being considered, but since those schools were surprised, indicates those conversations never took place.

The truth is the B1G is very deliberate in any move they make. It was reported that they absolutely did not want to be seen as breaking up the PAC, so they limited their consideration to just UCLA and USC.
:ROFLMAO: Washington be like: “how dare NBC, CBS, and FOX not ask us what we think we’re worth!!”

The Big Ten consulted with those three network partners on every PAC school to see what they’d pay for them.

None of them we worth enough money to be added.

:ROFLMAO: Washington be like: “how dare NBC, CBS, and FOX not ask us what we think we’re worth!!”

The Big Ten consulted with those three network partners on every PAC school to see what they’d pay for them.

None of them we worth enough money to be added.
Your argument is the Big Ten vetted WA and OR before they admitted UCLA and USC. That is not true. However, this spring they have finished vetting those schools plus Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Utah, and Miami.

It looks like the B1G is seriously considering to expand again before another conference beats them to some choice schools. When and how many may be the questions. They might even stay at 16 because the scheduling works out well for most sports.

Your argument is the Big Ten vetted WA and OR before they admitted UCLA and USC. That is not true.
100% true. Hence why Notre Dame is explicitly mentioned in the contract and no other schools not already under ACC GoR lock and key are.

Your argument (on behalf of WA and OR): "they can't have vetted us, because we were surprised that USC and UCLA were added! Therefore, those networks never even talked to us!"

That's not how it works.

The TV networks pay the money. Whatever they think, is what it is. If they think Washington is only worth $X Million per year ... then they are. They set the price.

Washington has no ability to talk themselves into a higher value from those networks.

The TV partners already know full well what every school in the PAC and Big 12 are worth to them (the payers!), and told the Big Ten what they'd be willing to pay.

It wasn't enough.

I know you'll dismiss this and choose to believe something else that you like better. That's your prerogative.

It looks like the B1G is seriously considering to expand again before another conference beats them to some choice schools.
Not until the ACC GoR is done, one way or another.

Last edited:

100% true. Hence why Notre Dame is explicitly mentioned in the contract and no other schools not already under ACC GoR lock and key are.

Your argument (on behalf of WA and OR): "they can't have vetted us, because we were surprised that USC and UCLA were added! Therefore, those networks never even talked to us!"

That's not how it works.

The TV networks pay the money. Whatever they think, is what it is. If they think Washington is only worth $X Million per year ... then they are. They set the price.

Washington has no ability to talk themselves into a higher value from those networks.

The TV partners already know full well what every school in the PAC and Big 12 are worth to them (the payers!), and told the Big Ten what they'd be willing to pay.

It wasn't enough.

I know you'll dismiss this and choose to believe something else that you like better. That's your prerogative.

Not until the ACC GoR is done, one way or another.

Notre Dame isn’t what we are discussing. You keep repeating the same lie that WA and OR were vetted before UCLA and USC were invited to join the B1G.

And why would the B1G vet WA and OR this spring if they had already vetted them last summer? Your arguments in this case do not make sense.

(Edit: changed ‘better’ to ‘vetted’, dang auto-correct).

Last edited:

Top Bottom