All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Watched the first two episodes of Bad Monkey which dropped on Apple.

Vince Vaughn plays a forlorn, wise ass ex-cop anti-hero. In tone, it much like Poker Face.

Takes place in The Florida Keys and is actually filmy there as well, which is unusual due to the weather and no tax incentives, thst GA & NC offer. The showrunner insisted that it be shot there, as the geography, essentially is another character in the show and really can’t be replicated elsewhere.
Man, I just have very seldom liked a narrator in a movie or series.

So a 👍 or 👎in this case?

I think it works okay here, due to the quirky/oddball tone of the series. I agree with you that I don’t like it most of the time either.
It’s giving me Sam Elliott in The Big Lebowski vibes, which is probably my favorite use of the narrator, in large part because of the quirkiness/not taking itself too seriously tone.

It’s giving me Sam Elliott in The Big Lebowski vibes, which is probably my favorite use of the narrator, in large part because of the quirkiness/not taking itself too seriously tone.
In addition to Elliott, I like how Alec Baldwin was used in The Royal Tenenbaums. Levon Helm in The Right Stuff, though it was used pretty sparingly was great. Another good one was Richard Dreyfuss for Stand by Me.

In addition to Elliott, I like how Alec Baldwin was used in The Royal Tenenbaums. Levon Helm in The Right Stuff, though it was used pretty sparingly was great. Another good one was Richard Dreyfuss for Stand by Me.
I’d like to add Morgan Freeman from Shawshank as well.

I’d like to add Morgan Freeman from Shawshank as well.
Totally agree, probably what spurred a 2nd career as voice over for commercials and narrator for documentaries/wild life TV shows.

I do sort of separate Freeman from the others because Red was also an essential character in the film itself with lots of screen time. Same would go for Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, also excellent in both aspects of the film.

Check out the series and see what conclusion you come to on it.

Christian Bale in "American Psycho" stands out to me but nobody beats Morgan Freeman IMO. Other narrated movies/shows that were great:

"The Sandlot" - David Mickey Evans

"A Christmas Story" - Jean Shepherd

"The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" - Boris Karloff

Christian Bale in "American Psycho" stands out to me but nobody beats Morgan Freeman IMO. Other narrated movies/shows that were great:

Great call on Jean Shepherd. I'm positive my father would agree. He also got snuck in as the Higbee's Department Store Santa.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Great call on Jean Shepherd. I'm positive my father would agree. He also got snuck in as the Higbee's Department Store Santa.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.
As a little kid in the late 70s, I was enamored with the Hammer horror movies and iconic monsters.

When my Dad told me it was 'Frankenstein' narrating the Grinch, my head was blown. 🙂

I should have also included A River Runs Through It / Robert Redford.

I also should have given that film as a whole more consideration in my Favorite List. So strong in all aspects.

Top Bottom