All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

fell down another rabbit hole. I started re-watching the "Sherlock Holmes" series that ran on British TV in the 1980's and early 1990's with airings on PBS in the U.S. there were four seasons or "series" as they call them across the pond. the first three seasons are streaming for free on Tubi. the 4th season is on another site that I think I can access.

the idea behind the show was to make them as faithful as possible to the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. the star, Jeremy Brett, is considered by some to provide the most definitive screen portrayal of Holmes (at least how he is depicted in the stories), including the cocaine use. for some reason, the actor who played Watson in the first season did not return and there is a different Watson starting with the 2nd season - but both are very similar in how they interpret the character.

if you are a fan of Holmes or British TV in general, it's well worth watching. excellent production values. apparently there were plans to continue the series but Jeremy Brett died in 1995 at just 61-years old. he had a history of heart problems and may have been bi-polar.

Top Bottom