All Things TV Series Recommendations/Reviews

Finished the first season of Bodkin (not sure if there will be a second season?) with Will Forte on Netflix. It was solid.

Man, I had forgotten the name of that series already when someone asked me about what I had seen recently. I still liked HiJack a lot, thought it was well done and as I said, I'm a big Idris Elba fan. LOVED his series "LUTHER", by the way. I think that is on Amazon Prime. Great show

We just finished "Sugar" on Apple TV. I'm a big Colin Ferrell fan, thought it would be good, and I honestly can't say I would recommend it. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't great, and the ending was just completely off the wall. All in all, I would have to say it was pretty disappointing as a whole.

Has anyone else started watching "Presumed Innocent" on Apple TV?

Yes, just watched the fourth episode and it’s turning the heat up and imagine the last episodes there’s (8 in total) will be stellar; the first three were slower.

I’d give it a B so far and see that it can end up as a B+ or even A-.

I’m a huge Bill Camp fan and would watch it regardless. Bill delivers as usual.
The old Harrison Ford movie was just outstanding, one of my favorites. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone. I am fully aware going in that it will be hard for the series to stack up. They kept a lot of the names the same and the same general premise.

Finished the 1st season of the new "Doctor Who" series on Disney+. a mixed bag but I would give it an overall positive review. the tone of the show varies pretty wildly from week to week. episodes ranged from silly to very serious, and one episode was played as a gothic ghost story.

warning - some might find the show too "woke" for their tastes.

Doctor Who will return with a Christmas Special in December. the next season will air early in 2025.

Yes, just watched the fourth episode and it’s turning the heat up and imagine the last episodes there’s (8 in total) will be stellar; the first three were slower.

I’d give it a B so far and see that it can end up as a B+ or even A-.

I’m a huge Bill Camp fan and would watch it regardless. Bill delivers as usual.

Assuming you're referencing "Presumed Innocent"...

I'd have to say that it's not been great so far, and it will be virtually impossible for it to come close to the original movie. It's okay, and I'll stick with it to see how they wrap it up. After watching episode 4 last night, I re-watched the Harrison Ford movie and it was still as good as ever

I would guess when you try to take a 2-hour movie and try to extend it into an 8-episode series, you have to do some things to fill in some air time, inevitably you have to fill it with some garbage. They have time to salvage it but I'm starting to get skeptical?

Anyone have a general review with no spoilers for Season 2 of House of the Dragon? I usually don't start watching until the entire season is released.

Assuming you're referencing "Presumed Innocent"...

I'd have to say that it's not been great so far, and it will be virtually impossible for it to come close to the original movie. It's okay, and I'll stick with it to see how they wrap it up. After watching episode 4 last night, I re-watched the Harrison Ford movie and it was still as good as ever

I would guess when you try to take a 2-hour movie and try to extend it into an 8-episode series, you have to do some things to fill in some air time, inevitably you have to fill it with some garbage. They have time to salvage it but I'm starting to get skeptical?
Maybe not compare it too much to the original? It’s tough to remake anything which was good originally.

I always try and remember that “taste” is subjective and it’s fairly rare for there to be a consensus that something is amazing; Band of Brothers, comes to mind, as show which was universally lauded and beloved - I’ll still watch in on Memorial Day, even though I’ve seen it 3/4 times in its entirety.

Anyone have a general review with no spoilers for Season 2 of House of the Dragon? I usually don't start watching until the entire season is released.

I've heard complaints of it being slow to start, but I personally think it's great. Lots of political jockeying has the season setup for some big things.

Watched the new season of 'The Bear'. Thought the first two seasons were very good (but not great like many people thought). The third season is easily the worst. Not much happens and the writing just feels lazy.....like they're recycling the same stuff over and over.

Watched the new season of 'The Bear'. Thought the first two seasons were very good (but not great like many people thought). The third season is easily the worst. Not much happens and the writing just feels lazy.....like they're recycling the same stuff over and over.
Totally agree. Liked (didn't love) first two seasons. This one was all over and kind of WTF? I think they were trying too hard.

We just finished the first season of Your Honor, it was outstanding. I can't wait to start Season 2, which I believe is all the series has.

Bryan Cranston is an amazing actor. I can't recommend this series enough. Very well done.

Go Your Honor!!

Finished the 1st season of the new "Doctor Who" series on Disney+. a mixed bag but I would give it an overall positive review. the tone of the show varies pretty wildly from week to week. episodes ranged from silly to very serious, and one episode was played as a gothic ghost story.

warning - some might find the show too "woke" for their tastes.

Doctor Who will return with a Christmas Special in December. the next season will air early in 2025.
Really enjoyed the series with David Tennant and Matt Smith as the Doctor. Can’t wrap my head around it right now.

Finished the 2nd season of "Interview with the Vampire" on AMC. overall I would give it a passing grade, but I have mixed feelings about the show.

on the plus side, the acting is good for the most part. some performers are stronger than others, but that's not unusual. the show does a good job of creating atmosphere. I thought the writing in the second season was more uneven. some characters make choices that seem odd to me.

But - my big issue - maybe it's me, but I get really annoyed when a popular book gets adapted for TV or movies, and the people doing the adaptation make major changes to the story and the characters. In this case, the basic plot of the book is there, but the adaptation changes significant plot elements and introduces characters that were not in the book. so I'm watching it and the whole time, thinking "that's not in the book" or "that's different than the book," and I'm left wondering why they made all the changes.

Have I recommended the AMC show 'Halt and Catch Fire' enough times yet?

Wonder how the Peacock channel series Those About to Die starring Anthony Hopkins will be? Going to give it a try when it comes out on July 18
Like Rome stuff and like Hopkins.

Maybe not compare it too much to the original? It’s tough to remake anything which was good originally.

I always try and remember that “taste” is subjective and it’s fairly rare for there to be a consensus that something is amazing; Band of Brothers, comes to mind, as show which was universally lauded and beloved - I’ll still watch in on Memorial Day, even though I’ve seen it 3/4 times in its entirety.

I don't necessarily know if it's just that it fails in comparison to the original movie? Just that it for whatever reason feels the need to pump in the additional side story lines to fill the gaps. Did they really need to add the story line of the wife sniffing around and considering a grudge f*ck on the side?

It's been "okay", we'll finish it, and I'll reserve full judgment until I see how they wrap it up

Wonder how the Peacock channel series Those About to Die starring Anthony Hopkins will be? Going to give it a try when it comes out on July 18
Like Rome stuff and like Hopkins.
Thanks, didn't know anything about this but have added it to my list of shows to watch. Seems to have potential.

Has anyone else started watching "Presumed Innocent" on Apple TV?

The old Harrison Ford movie was just outstanding, one of my favorites. I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone. I am fully aware going in that it will be hard for the series to stack up. They kept a lot of the names the same and the same general premise.
Started last night and watched two episodes. Loved it so far. Plan to watch the movies again after.

Speaking of Apple and Harrison Ford, if people missed Shrinking with him and Jason Segal, you should watch it. It's outstanding and Ford should have won awards for his role. He's great. If you liked Ted Lasso (and how could you not), then you'll like this.

I don't necessarily know if it's just that it fails in comparison to the original movie? Just that it for whatever reason feels the need to pump in the additional side story lines to fill the gaps. Did they really need to add the story line of the wife sniffing around and considering a grudge f*ck on the side?
FWIW, it’s really its own entity, as it’s 4 times longer than the movie, so there will be content which wasn’t in the original, like the revenge f scenario with the wife.

It's been "okay", we'll finish it, and I'll reserve full judgment until I see how they wrap it up
I liked this week’s episode and am interested to see where it goes from here.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst 😀

FWIW, it’s really its own entity, as it’s 4 times longer than the movie, so there will be content which wasn’t in the original, like the revenge f scenario with the wife.

I liked this week’s episode and am interested to see where it goes from here.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst 😀

My view on these things is almost always the same...

As long as the popcorn is good, it's really really hard to fail miserably. And since I make my own popcorn on the stovetop, of course it's almost ALWAYS perfect

Jiffy Pop?
Orville Redenbacher kernels (yellow), cooked in avocado oil. And you don't put the kernels in until the oil is really damn hot.

I've experimented with coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, you name it. I even recently dabbled with something I found "Amish Country Popcorn Oil", which was actually really good, gives it a nice yellow color even like the theaters. And even the Amish Country Popcorn kernels weren't bad.

For me, avocado oil is the best of all worlds; flavor, flash point, healthy, etc. And I don't even eat avocados. I've had a few ask me that; said they didn't want to try the oil because they don't like avocados. It's just cooking oil, doesn't taste like avocados.

No butter necessary. And lately I've even upped my game with Celtic Sea Salt; a very nice addition to the mix.

Orville Redenbacher kernels (yellow), cooked in avocado oil. And you don't put the kernels in until the oil is really damn hot.

I've experimented with coconut oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, you name it. I even recently dabbled with something I found "Amish Country Popcorn Oil", which was actually really good, gives it a nice yellow color even like the theaters. And even the Amish Country Popcorn kernels weren't bad.

For me, avocado oil is the best of all worlds; flavor, flash point, healthy, etc. And I don't even eat avocados. I've had a few ask me that; said they didn't want to try the oil because they don't like avocados. It's just cooking oil, doesn't taste like avocados.

No butter necessary. And lately I've even upped my game with Celtic Sea Salt; a very nice addition to the mix.
Nerd.

I use avocado oil now too for most of my cooking - I’m lazy so I microwave mine🤦‍♂️

Finally watching 'Twin Peaks'. Blows my mind that this show was not only made.....but aired on broadcast television. Through six episodes, I'm digging it.....and I'm not even a big David Lynch fan. But Special Agent Dale Cooper is a great character.

If you’re a The Office fan, there were some interesting nuggets in this interview. I enjoyed it.

Finally watching 'Twin Peaks'. Blows my mind that this show was not only made.....but aired on broadcast television. Through six episodes, I'm digging it.....and I'm not even a big David Lynch fan. But Special Agent Dale Cooper is a great character.

Finished the final episode (of the original run).....wow. I knew to expect something weird to cap off the show.....but
I didn't expect it to end on that dark and disturbing of a note. Agent Cooper/Bob hysterically repeating "How's Annie" as the credits start is something that I'll probably never forget.

Going to watch 'Fire Walk With Me' and 'The Missing Pieces' over the next few days whenever I find the time. Then onto the 'The Return'......which was heaped with praise when it aired six or seven years ago.

Watched the first two episodes of Bad Monkey which dropped on Apple.

Vince Vaughn plays a forlorn, wise ass ex-cop anti-hero. In tone, it much like Poker Face.

Takes place in The Florida Keys and is actually filmy there as well, which is unusual due to the weather and no tax incentives, thst GA & NC offer. The showrunner insisted that it be shot there, as the geography, essentially is another character in the show and really can’t be replicated elsewhere.

We are finally starting in on Loudermilk. Ron Livingston's character has a lot of similarities to Peter Gibbons on Office Space. Enjoying it so far.

If you’re a The Office fan, there were some interesting nuggets in this interview. I enjoyed it.

Awesome interview, thank you for posting. He comes across as such a likable guy, some great info for us Office aficionados.

I read that Kevin/Brian is one of, if not the, highest grossing star on the app Cameo. Good for him.

Go The Office!!

Top Bottom